Splitting or crushing Seroquel 25mg tabs

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 lemonflavor

lemonflavor

• Pip
  • 433 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:42 PM

I'm going to start taking 12.5mg of Seroquel for sleep. (I've taken Seroquel before and am familiar with it.) The 25s don't split real easily, even in a good pill splitter. Can these be crushed and put in juice and divided up that way?

Not sure if this should go here or pharmacology forum.
BP II (MDD, PD, GAD) Insomnia
Lamictal 75mg, Lexapro 20mg, Inderal 50mg, Klonopin 1.5mg, 7.75mg Remeron-sleep
Pain: MS Contin 90mg day, Percoset 40mg (oxycodone) day
As needed: Ambien, tramadol
Past Rx: almost every AD you can think of, Zyprexa, Seroquel, Risperdal, Trileptal, Depakote, Lithium, Deplin, Gabapentin, Baclofen, Cyclobenzaprine, Zanaflex

#2 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 12898 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:05 PM

I'd ask a pharmacist.  You might be able to get them to split them for you.

I'm supprised that little does much of anything.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#3 lemonflavor

lemonflavor

• Pip
  • 433 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:54 PM

25mg will have me asleep for 11 hours plus a nap. I may adjust to the 12.5 and need to go up to 25mg. But at 50mg after it builds up it makes me skin-crawly for some strange reason so it's a delicate balance I'm trying for. 
Past Rx: almost every AD you can think of, Zyprexa, Seroquel, Risperdal, Trileptal, Depakote, Lithium, Deplin, Gabapentin, Baclofen, Cyclobenzaprine, Zanaflex

#4 Dee

Dee

• Pip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:00 PM

I can take 25 mg in the morning and I'm still a spinning top. ;)
"I may be dead, but I'm still pretty."~ Buffy

DX: BP1, GAD

RX: Trileptal 1350 mg, Topamax 100 mg, Lexapro 10 mg, Effexor 225 mg, Seroquel 150-200 mg, Clonazepam prn.

#5 GroovyGwen

GroovyGwen

• Pip
  • 1211 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:49 AM

I've split some of my seroquel, you have to have a very thin knife or a straight razor (although I will NOT have those in my house - things I could possibly use to kill myself are a baaaaaaad idea.á I don't even like having a gas stove....).á They do tend to get a little funky, but they still do the job.á Maybe ask if someone with steady hands can do it?á Also, I have learned that it helps to have a longer knife, and put the tip on the cutting board and use the thicker part towards the handle to cut the pill.á Damn round seroquel.á Do they make 12.5 pills?á I dunno.á

I have to take 25mg very early in the night, so that I don't feel like a complete zombie in the AM.á 1/2 a pill is much better, let's me rest w/o putting me in a virtual coma.á When I was batshit and constantly hypo I could take 25 2xs/day and be fine.á

Sounds like we use Seroquel for the same stuff!

Edited by Supergwen, 07 April 2006 - 07:50 AM.

Depressive bipole on Venlafaxine (Effexor) 225mg & Lamotrigine (Lamictal) 200 mg

#6 hollow log

hollow log

^ Bunsen ^

• Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:57 AM

Yeah it's a bitch that there isn't 12.5mg tabs... I started off taking that amount, and I got a pretty good nights sleep out of it.  I'm on 175mg now, but that's more for anxiety, and paranoia. But, for sleep this med kicks major fucking arse.
Posted Image

Liberate Beaker!

Bunsen, the evil vivisector, must be stopped!

#7 lemonflavor

lemonflavor

• Pip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:18 AM

For now I've been using a pill splitter (which has a razor blade in it) and I can get them in half 2 out of 3 times. The other time I just take the bigger half or try to even it out, but they're a little crumbly so it's hard to cut off a tiny piece. I may need to go up to 25mg anyway.

#8 Guest_seroquel user_*

Guest_seroquel user_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:08 PM

DO NOT split or crush seroquel unless you know what you are doing.

You shouldn't split pills because of following (generic) reasons:

- seroquel is major tranqualizer and it can have harmful effects to brain
- pills are hard on purpose so that seroquel is released to body more
slowly and the peak concentration of seroquel is lower
- if you crush the pills the powder is absorbed much faster (bad)
+ if you find seroquel/quetiapine pills that are meant to splitted
then it is save to split but AFAIK there aren't any
(they are more expensive to make)

I made the mistake of splitting pills (for a month) and now
I have hard time using a single pill instead of two split ones.
(The solution: gradually going away from split pills:
0.5+0.5, 0.8+0.2, 0.9+0.1, 1.0)

If you only use pills for sleep then I think you could save money
by using split pills at lower doses (you get the same peak seroquel
concentration that knocks you into sleep) BUT I wouldn't want to risk
my brain's overall healthiness by saving few bucks. As a result you
may also wake up during the middle of the night when the seroquel
levels go down too quickly.

#9 deesnowboard

deesnowboard

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:29 AM

The 25mg tabs are only sugar coated - the are still immediate release and can be split (the coating makes them taste and look better only). Since they are so tiny, use a tablet splitter - carried by most pharmacies for fairly cheap. (that said, however, the XR tablets CANNOT be split, because the coating will be for extending release)

#10 Gearhead

Gearhead

The Iguana In a Room Full of Rabbits

• Pip
  • 1740 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

I get 100 mg pills and split them as far down as 12.5 mgs. I find 12.5 mgs quite effective for taking the edge off of minor anxiety and minor irritation, and I can take a dose like that several times a day and not have to worry about undue sedation-I still function fine. I always take 75 mgs at bedtime, and depending on how zippy I'm feeling can wind up one several hundred mgs a day. It's the one med I have that my pdoc encourages me to take PRN (on top of my daily sleep dose, that is).

I have a terrific pill cutter by Apex medical. I've had it for 10 years and it's never failed me. Originally got it at the vets, for my dog. The trick to cutting 100 mgs pills that have already been neatly quartered down to 12.5 mgs is to turn them flat-side down, aim the rounded, coated edge back toward you, and cut with that second flat edge up, so that you wind up with two pieces that both have 1/4 of a pill's coating on one outside plain.

Bipolar I, sports fans. Autism spectrum. With just un soup├žon of migraine...

Give us this day our daily meds: 150 lamotrigine, 75 topiramate, 150 Seroquel XR, 100 Seroquel IR, 12.5 Ambien CR,
15 mgs escitalopram, 4000 i.u. Vit. D3

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#11 aregon

aregon

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

Well, here in Romania, there is only one version of Seroquel, it's XR from AstraZeneca UK and the dosages are 50, 150, 200, 300, 400 mg.
I've experienced all the dosages, except 400, for social anxiety, thou they don't work at all. One day I remember I've took 3x300mg, quite stupid, I know, but ran out of clonazepam and I needed to sleep.
Well, I still think it's a useless drug, it's only an addictive sleeping aid, and a serotonin and dopamine depleter. (to me)

Now, to be on topic, my current doc put me on XR 50mg, the lowest dose available in our pharmacies. Given the fact that I had a break from Seroquel for months it's sedating effects at 50mg came back as never took this med before, unlike benzos :P
I've just sliced with a razor blade a 50mg capsule in three, they aren't round like yours, here are like 2mg Xanax bars, something like that. Being XR, I don't know, it's not just the coating involved I suppose, because I've dissolved it in my mouth and took some time, it's a bit anesthetic, not really like chewed bupropion. Now let's see how zombie I'll be tomorrow.

And please sorry for the long post, I'm on 1.25mg of alprazolam, feeling like telling stories :cool:

#12 bluelikejazz

bluelikejazz

• Inmate
  • 2579 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

aregon, I'm worried about you splitting the XR tablets. Why are you splitting them? Will you please talk to your doctor about it?

PMDD, PTSD and MDD.

rx: Amitryptaline 125mg Seroquel XR 100mg, Lithium 750mg.

I'm not a mental health professional but I am a pretty awesome amateur (talk to an actual pro rather than taking my advice)

#13 enlightened_plutonian

enlightened_plutonian

The boundary between reality and delusion is currently out of the office

• Pip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

I agree with Blue. On my XR box, there is in capital letters 'do not chew or split'. If you split XR tablets then the XR-ness doesn't work any more (I think, I'm sure that is what I picked up).
Current diagnosis = psychosis NOS
History = depression (remission since April 2009), SI (remission since April 2009), alcohol abuse (remission since March 2007)
Past false dx = BPD (only symptom I had was SI), schizophrenia (I was very sleep deprived at the time)
Also have diabetes and pain issues (undiagnosed) and hayfever (April - June)

Current meds = Seroquel 800mg XR (as 400 in the morning and 400 in the night)
Also on insulin and Microgynon

I am not deluded, I just don't agree with your reality!

#14 aregon

aregon

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

I split them because I used to be on 300mg once and did nothing good for my anxiety, not at all, but that was with my ex-doc. I split them to become non-XR, as a sleep aid mainly and not to feel groggy next morning.

Edited by aregon, 13 August 2012 - 03:25 AM.

#15 konings

konings

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 303 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

How is this possible, on a antipsychotic to still be afraid that you are watched from behind, that others talks about you, observe you? Isn't about amygdala malfunctioning? Or it is because high dopamine and serotonin levels? But why put me on bupropion then?

You have that? Thats probably the reason seroquel doesnt help your social anxiety. You probably need much higher doses too to control it.

#16 aregon

aregon

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

Well, I was on 900 for a few days, nothing. And we already polluted the topic.
I know how psychotic symptoms are, I really do, intense fear is just overlapping.

Edited by aregon, 12 August 2012 - 05:10 PM.

#17 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 4259 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

Well, I was on 900 for a few days, nothing

A few days isn't going to do it. You've got to give it much more than that. Weeks longer.

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

#18 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

You are switching around your meds and med dosages so fast it's making my head spin. You need to give an AaP at least 2-3 weeks on the SAME dose to see the effects. ADs will take 6-8 weeks.

Just because you know about the parts of your brain and the chemical receptors involved in these medications does not make you a doctor or smarter than your doctor(s). You are currently self-sabotaging your attempt at stability and are truly obsessing over the medications.

My advice to you would be to tell your pdoc everything you've been doing, make a plan for treatment from this point on, and don't touch your meds between dr visits. If your dr thinks you can re-evaluate your meds after two weeks, that's their call. If its four weeks, abide by that as well.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#19 aregon

aregon

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

Fine, I complain no more, isn't helpful anyway
I want no fight here, and this is so off-topic already.

Edited by aregon, 13 August 2012 - 03:24 AM.

#20 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

Your post is so convoluted it doesn't make sense and is very hard to follow what your actual thought process is. So I'll try to answer your points in order:

First off, you can bet your ass that a pdoc known what a seroquel tablet looks like and how it effects a patient, even if they've never tried it. I know what the side effects of clozoril are, and I've never taken the drug or had any formal education. I have no idea what your point is on this topic.

Your second paragraph is so jumbled I can't even comment on it. I don't know what you are trying to say.

We are not obsessing about our medications when we put it in their signatures. It's a practical function of CB, because when a person asks a med-related question, the first thing that everyone will ask is, "What medications and dosages are you on?". Including them in your signature simplifies things a great deal.

As for my dx, I do not doubt my dx. I don't doubt the five week long psychotic break I had in 2005 that led me to being diagnosed, and I don't doubt the psychotic episode with hallucinations I had 18 months ago. The only reason I wrote that was because I finally, after 7 years of being here, finally added the psychotic part to my signature. I didn't feel it was important before, but I wanted people to know why I included it now.

I was recently dx'd with ADHD, should I be forced to put that in my signature so that people won't think I doubt my signature? I have a whole host of other conditions I could include in my signature that I don't have any doubts on, do you feel I should also include them?

Your perception of how the medical system works is skewed based on your last two paragraphs. How exactly would 800 mg of seroquel (which several non-schiz members here take) make you schizophrenic? A medication designed to reduce mental symptoms and basically calm you the fuck down don't suddenly make you schiz at higher doses. This is a basic misunderstanding of how seroquel works.

Seroquel and zyprexa are both generic. There is no benefit to doctors, pharmacies, or drug companies to have you stay on seroquel unnecessarily. I took it for about four months, and I only had a $10 copay. I just filled a script of zyprexa, and my copay (for the generic) was $60. And i belong to the largest insurance company in the US So, if anything, doctors would be treating us like "lab rats" on zyprexa.

If you want to discuss this further, PM me. But don't expect me to understand all your wild tangents, as they are the sign of a person who is not getting proper medical care.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.