Adderall and klonopin

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Bianca

Bianca

• Pip
  • 661 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:48 AM

Is it true that these two are not suppose to be rx together?

#2 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:25 AM

Is it true that these two are not suppose to be rx together?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Think about it: the classic upper and a standard downer (i.e., a speedball)
Their main effects would be to counteract each other, so normally I
think you'd do better to decrease one or the other instead of trying both.

I could see it used in the place of a Wellbutrin/klonopin combo where there's
a seizure risk.  Maybe.  Even extended-release amphetamine salts clear too
fast to really use as a 24/7 antidepressant (maybe that's just me) except as
a last resort after several AD failures and maybe some mood-stabilizer trials.

I'm not a doctor so I just can't see it as a first-line combination. Several ways
to fall back to it, and you'd be dealing with One Unhappy Patient.

I bet there'd be a huge abuse risk or at least a lot of irritating scrutiny and
second-guessing by the ins. company or DEA.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#3 Bianca

Bianca

• Pip
  • 661 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:10 AM

Yeah my doc didn't suggest it I was just wonering what other people thought.  He's not too fond of aderall.

#4 realitytest

realitytest

• Pip
  • 314 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 02:54 AM

Yeah my doc didn't suggest it I was just wonering what other people thought. He's not too fond of aderall.

Gee, I take them together and never thought of it as a problem. Klonopin is against panic and Adderral is for focus. For me. I like focusing and not panicking at the same time. But then I guess I'm getting to be a street junkie as the third element in my witches brew* is a narcotic. Lortab. Supposedly for back pain but really so I don't feel like offing myself all the time - non-panicky, focussed and all.

These things are all prescibed by docs who are aware of the combo. It's that or the Big One. And hey, it works!

I have to get that palette just right and at the right time, is all. Come to think of it I mostly take the K-pin when the Adderral's wearing off.

(I know it's far from ideal, but it's the best I can do for now. Treatment Resistent Atypical Depression being what it is. Fatal Black Goo).

rt

*Not counting scads of stuff I take around bedtime and gradually upping the Lamictal with my fingers lightly crossed.

Edited by realitytest, 01 May 2006 - 02:57 AM.

(dx & rx in Profile)
-----------------------------------
That which doesn't kill you, makes you stranger.

#5 Moon Jaguar

Moon Jaguar

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:50 PM

I've been on Klonopin for five years straight; it's been something used for controlling my epilepsy off and on in the past too. I was recently put on Adderall and I haven't noticed any oddness going on with that (or the Neurontin and the asthma meds). I more have to watch myself seizurewise in case the Adderall lowers seizure threshold but so far, no problems.

Having a brain can be a real pain in the ass, I tellya, when there's multiple different things going on.

#6 Sunshine

Sunshine

• Pip
  • 866 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:30 PM

I'm not aware of any contraindications (and it didn't come up in the drug interaction checker I just consulted).

I've been on Adderall for 6-7 years and Xanax XR for over a year. They don't seem to cancel each other out in any way (though the Adderall may be the primary reason Xanax doesn't make me sleepy). I take the Adderall for ADD. The Xanax was originally prescribed to counter-effect the edginess I was getting from Wellbutrin, but my pdoc has always thought much of my depression was anxiety-based and has kept me on it even though I've since stopped taking Wellbutrin.

While both medications have a high potential for abuse and addiction, if used as prescribed, they are no more harmful than any other prescription medication.
Diagnonsenses: Major Depressive Disorder (recurrent, in remission), ADD (inattentive type), Chronic Insomnia, Migraines, mild Anxiety Disorder (NOS), and a broken heart (also in remission!).
Current Cocktail (as of 11/17/2011):
~Morning: 20 mg Adderall XR, 3 mg Intuniv, and 1 mg Xanax XR
~Bedtime: 8 mg Rozerem, 5-10 mg Ambien, 200 mg Danazol (for PMDD and migraine), 100 mg Aldactone
~PRN: 2.5 mg Amerge (for migraines) and .25 mg IR Xanax
Previous meds: See profile.

#7 Guest_CATE_*

Guest_CATE_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:17 PM

I've been taking them both (Klonopin and Adderall) for about a week and a half and already I've noticed improvement. I've been dealing with anxiety and occasional panic attacks and my doctor prescribed me Lexapro and Lorazepam (generic for Ativan). I've built a tolerance to lorazepam so I would have to take two 1 mg pills for anything to happen. I would only take it if I felt extremely anxious or if I was having a panic attack (letting one dissolve under your tongue gives almost instant relief -- maybe this is psychological?). Since I've been on those two, I have still had problems focusing and I still have occasional anxiety. My friend who was diagnosed with ADHD and bipolar disorder was prescribed Klonopin and Adderall and because I live with her, she suggested I might have ADHD. I am weary of taking medications, especially ones not prescribed to me. I'm very sensitive to what my body does (I often have palpitations which cause me to have panic attacks) but it's been so frustrating lately that I took a couple of ADHD symptom quizzes and found that I answered yes to pretty much every question. So I took a quarter of a 5mg adderall along with .25 Klonopin (I like to start out conservatively. . . ). About 30 minutes later, I was totally focused, motivated, did not have any anxiety, and could actually remember where I put things, was organized at work (I took these twice to three times a day). It's seemingly a miracle combination for me. The only thing is I wonder how bad Adderall is. I've already noticed I've built a slight tolerance to it. I can take .25 of the 5mg tablet and not really notice much now. Plus I know it is illegal in Canada because of its effects on the heart. I'm wondering if there is a drug out there that gives the same results as Adderall without the side effects. It does curb your appetite. I only eat because I start to feel nauseous from not eating yet the thought of eating does not appeal to me at all. Another thing I've noticed is it's easier for me to fall asleep since taking it. Since it is an upper, this is strange. But maybe because it is supposed to be taken for ADHD, that means I have it. . . since people who use it for recreational purposes usually get really jittery and can stay up all hours of the night. This just slows my brain down, my thoughts become organized. . but obviously it hasn't solved my tendency to type novels when explaining things. . .heh. heh.

#8 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:13 PM

Another thing I've noticed is it's easier for me to fall asleep since taking it. Since it is an upper, this is strange. But maybe because it is supposed to be taken for ADHD, that means I have it. . . since people who use it for recreational purposes usually get really jittery and can stay up all hours of the night. This just slows my brain down, my thoughts become organized. . but obviously it hasn't solved my tendency to type novels when explaining things. . .heh. heh.

Well, it can't hurt to talk about this with your doctor to see if it's worthwhile to be evaluated for ADHD. Even if you don't actually have it, the eval might identify some things to work on through therapy, self-help, etc.

The bad new is that just about every medication that helps ADHD raises blood pressure, heart rate, and can increase sweating - most of the physical symptoms of anxiety (There's a reason noradrenaline and adrenaline are referred to as "fight or flight" hormones) The good news is that you really don't need to be taking any more than is needed to improve your task-mindedness, concentration, and sleep.

Aside from stimulants like amphetamine and methylphenidate, the noradrenergic ADs like Wellbutrin, Strattera, reboxetine, and desipramine may also provide some help. One caution - each can cause anxiety, irritability, and insomnia. However, they carry warnings about "operating heavy machinery", just like the sedatives, because for a few percent of the population they can strongly induce sleep. (You would not want to be driving a vehicle when you find this out)

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#9 Guest_D50499_*

Guest_D50499_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:28 PM

Many people who are diagnosed with ADD or ADHD have a comorbidity like manic depreassion or generalized anxiety disorder so the rx of klonopin and addearall is sound in those cases whenn you are looking at the potential pitfalls to it being diagnise together than you are not a candidate for needing that type of therapy at all.

#10 Guest_grant cardone_*

Guest_grant cardone_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:23 PM

I take klonopin, and I know adderall really helps me, but it caused my sympathetic to go in overdrive, which is whatr my anxiety does.......I was considering trying clonodine(catapres) so I could handle the adderall, cause the clonodine(not Klonopin) knocks out the fight or flight(andregenic receptors) and also reduces the blood pressure, heart rate.......does any one have experience.

#11 Guest_friend_*

Guest_friend_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:33 AM

Adderall and Klnopin are good if you dose correctly. I.e, take 20mg of adderall with like .25mg of klnopin. Adderall has anti anxiety effects in its self, so you don't need to take that much klnopin. Then take a bit more klnopin before bed time. If you take 20mg of adderall and 2mg of Klnopin you will be in the same mental place, from personal experience. Adderal increases my concentration where klnopin destroys it. The reason why some people on here think that they don't counteract each other is because klnopin takes much more time to reach it's peak as opposed to adderall, which I can feel kicking in after 20 minutes. So in short, the more adderall you take, the less benzo you will need while the adderall is working. The crash is another story and varies for different people.

#12 Guest_Klonii_*

Guest_Klonii_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:48 AM

Just wanted to say I'm not sure this is true as many times I have taken 15mg of adderall long after I am under the effect of 1-2mg of klonopin and I still improve in focus and overall mood and become more social.

#13 Guest_holly_*

Guest_holly_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:14 AM

i take 35 mg adderall a day,100g luvox a day and 3g klonopin a day.and im doing awesome.focusing then at night take the luvoxcr and klonopin and it helps me not get into mania and be hyper cause i have no adderall in me. then i sleep.and i have fewer ocd stuff and rituals i do now.i am more calm,content and dont wanna play rough and be loud and curse for fun(mania).those 3 together will not hurt a 5'6 170lb woman,so hope it works for u all that are severe adult adhd,ocd and insomniacs

#14 Guest_kyle122788_*

Guest_kyle122788_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:58 AM

just wanted to share a personal experience on this topic. iv taken 60mg's of adderall xr's at work at about noon, totally makes me bust ass at work, and focus good. with my job I usually work 12pm to about 11:30pm at night (restaurant manager). adderall is great, but a shity side effect is insomnia when taken in a dose as I mentioned above. so around 10pm I took 4mg of klonopin to slow my roll and help me sleep, and it works. I never have experienced a negative side effect with taking these two pharmaceuticals together.

on another note, if these two are takin during the day together it does create a euphoric mind and body "high" you can say that is mellow and good feeling. also adderall will make u real chatty, due to a chemical cut into the adderall, and then the klonopin just adds to it lol. due to the social anxiety relief side of it.

anyway, just my 2 cents on these drugs being used together.

#15 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:35 AM

There is nothing wrong with taking klonopin and a atimulant together if they are taken correctly and under doctor's supervision. I myself will take provigil for attention, and klonopin when I am wacked mood wise to calm me down and avoid a manic episode.

if I get rid of the provigil it does nothing to remove my M.E., just makes me drive around in circles whilst being hypomanic. Which is horrible. i've finally convinced the doc I see that this is the right approach FOR ME. the operative words here being FOR ME.

If you find youreslf abusing either med or craving euphric additive effects or other such warning signs, it is at that point time to talk to doctors.

There is inherently nothing wrong with controlled substances, jsut what some people choose to do with them. I say that as someone with a former perscription drug problem by the way, so i am especially careful with my meds and things work smoothly and well for me now.

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#16 Guest_HauntedMalibu_*

Guest_HauntedMalibu_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

Adderall did not help with my anxiety or ADHD, I take Vyvanse 70mg and that number fluctuates between 50-70mg a day by season. I do notice that higher doses of amphetamines cause drowsiness and a depressive state if mind and it's a quick notice. Different ADHD meds also react differently with my chemistry. So far the most effective combo is 50,60 or 70 mg of Vyvanse and 1-4 mg of klonopin. I'm going to make a conscious effort to reduce my klonopin because it does decrease the duration and effectiveness of other meds.

#17 mcjimjam

mcjimjam

• Pip
  • 1447 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

When I was on Ritalin I would take Valium as needed. Often I'd take them together. It's good to be focused but that wired feeling is not so great when you're anxious as well.

I don't think they cancel each other out. Perhaps they cancel out the wired feeling from the stim and the dopey tranq feeling but those are side effects!

Dx: BP2, ADD, anxiety
Rx: Lithium 1250mg (0.9mEq/L)
, Cymbalta 120mg, Concerta 36mg, Remeron 15mg, Inderal 10mg, Valium 10-20mg

#18 klingon001

klingon001

• Pip
  • 889 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:47 AM

I'm (recently) on Adderall and Klonopin. I've found that the Adderall actually sedates me somewhat, so I feel as if I just took a few Klonopin. Isn't that weird? Does that mean that I definitely have ADHD?

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.