Photo
- - - - -

Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation anyone?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Phoebecat

Phoebecat

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:45 AM

I am not sure where to post this and may decide to try another section too.... A local hospital in my area is accepting volunteers suffering from depression to participate in a Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) study.  I did a little research online and it seems very interesting and promising for those of us not helped by any meds so far... but a little scary too.  My question is - has anyone out there tried it or know first hand more about TMS?  Thank you. 

#2 Sulu

Sulu

• Pip
  • 537 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:18 PM

Phoebe, yes I have tried it.  My tdoc had just finished a course in it and asked if I would be interested.  I only did it for 2 sessions as I was too far in the pits of depression to be bothered.  From what I could tell of those sessions, I found it very interesting and not at all scarey.  I wish I had been able to follow through with it but the depression I was in at the time was so severe I literally couldn't get out of bed.  I think it would be a great adjunct to CBT.  Just my thoughts.  Sulu

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:05 AM

I just contacted a clinic in canada.  They indicate a 65% success rate.

#4 Guest_K_*

Guest_K_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:58 AM

Guest-  Which clinic in Canada?  I contacted the mindcare centers and they indicated an 80% success rate, which I KNOW can not be true, based on the results they are getting in clinic trials in the U.S.

Has anyone ever gone to one of the mindcare centers (In Toronto and Ottawa I believe)?  Has anyone had rTMS done anywhere else? 

I am also aware of a Dr. Hutto in Atlanta doing rTMS off label.  He is only claiming a 40% success rate.

#5 Sulu

Sulu

• Pip
  • 537 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:04 AM

Phoebe, yes I have tried it.  My tdoc had just finished a course in it and asked if I would be interested.  I only did it for 2 sessions as I was too far in the pits of depression to be bothered.  From what I could tell of those sessions, I found it very interesting and not at all scarey.  I wish I had been able to follow through with it but the depression I was in at the time was so severe I literally couldn't get out of bed.  I think it would be a great adjunct to CBT.  Just my thoughts.  Sulu

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just reread this thread, and think I must have been asleep when I posted.  It was EMDR that I tried, not TMS. Sorry bout that. Sulu

#6 Kat

Kat

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:25 AM

Just wanted to say that I have registered now and the post about Dr. Hutto was from me.

Has anyone tried this.  I am getting really desperate.

#7 StrungOutOnLife

StrungOutOnLife

• Pip
  • 644 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:34 PM

I'm surprised they tested for depression  before bipolar disorder. I mean, it is an anticonvulsant.
Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the Universe.
--Kurt Vonnegut, Hocus Pocus

Anyone who expects you to "snap out of it" is essentially asking you to perform your own brain surgery via telekinesis.
--Me

#8 Kat

Kat

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 09:21 AM

For some reason, they are doing better with depression than bipolar at the moment.  Probably, just because it was started as a kind of replacement for ECT.

From what I have read, whereas ECT can stop mania etc, rTMS can actually cause it, as can the vagus nerve stimulator.  I think they probably just need to learn how to do rTMS differently on the bipolar than the unipolar for it to work.

I'm still in limbo deciding what to do.  I have been in contact with the canadian centers again and now they are saying 65% success rate.  I contacted Dr. George, who is the man behind most of the rTMS, VNS research etc and he claimed they are having 40% success, which is actually very good, because anyone seeking the treatment is extremely treatment resistant and nothing else has worked for them.

#9 AbbyNormal

AbbyNormal

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:34 PM

Okay,

I just dropped out after completing phase two of the big, multi-city rTMS study that is being funded by the NIMH going on now.

I had to go off of Prozac and Adderall after 10 years to participate (the Prozac wasn't working as well as it used to for me, and I was excited about maybe living med-free, so I thought I give it a shot).

The rTMS did nothing for me.  Going off of meds did plenty.  I got so depressed that I almost killed myself. To make a long story short, I opted  for a good old-fashioned mental breakdown instead, and now am struggling, trying to put my life back together, with the help of Cymbalta, and Klonopin (for my newly acquired panic attacks).

I really hope that TMS helps other people, but I for one can not recommend it. 

-- Abby
Dx:   The Fever
Rx:    More Cowbell

#10 Kat

Kat

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 04:38 PM

Oh, Abby I'm so sorry.  That just sucks!!  That is the unfortunate thing about those trials.  If you pay out of pocket for the treatment you can actually STAY ON YOUR MEDS while receiving it.  For some people, their meds actually work again after rTMS.

I am currently off all meds and plenty screwed up, but after two years of trying have either not been able to tolerate anything (as in askasia or vomitting continuosly etc , not little annoying side effects like not being able to orgasm or being a little dizzy) or they don't work, or they work very briefly or they don't work at all.  Now, my stomach is too screwed up from Remeron to take anything.  So, I'm looking into the rTMS before the ECT.  Although my freakin' insurance will probably try to NOT pay for ECT in which case I am screwed.

HAS ANYBODY ELSE OUT THERE TRIED THIS.  ANYBODY KNOW IF IT WORKS FOR COMORBID ANXIETY AS WELL?

#11 WendigoEater

WendigoEater

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 11:05 AM

Wow Kat
I never considered not being able to achieve orgasm to be an "annoying little side-effect", but I am a very sexual person.  Orgasms make me feel better.  I actually use masturbation as an anti-anxiety tool (especially now that I don't take any meds that prevent me from feeling sexual gratification).  It does wonders.  But hey, everyone is different.  I would take vomiting over not being able to orgasm.  Different strokes...
DX: Bipolar I - ultradian cycling, Panic Disorder/Dissociative disorder
RX: 112.5mg Effexor, 75mg Seroquel,  Clonazepam as needed.

MEDS TRIED AND/OR FAILED: paxil, xanax, temazepam, lorazepam, serzone, wellbutrin, lithium, zyprexa, buspar, marplan, ...ummm, I am sure there are more.

"ILLEGAL" DRUGS TRIED AND/OR ENJOYED: marijuana, mushrooms, meth(seriously disgusting), heroin, opium, cocaine, LSD, DMT, 2ci ... once again I am sure there are more.

WAITING FOR LIGHTNING : Journals of a Mad Woman

WENDIGOEATER'S  ART

#12 Kat

Kat

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:48 AM

Oh, when I was on an SSRI I considered not orgasming or having difficulty orgasming as horrendous.  But now that I can't even take an SSRI and have been in the depths of horrific treatment resistant agitated depression for THREE YEARS, I would take that side effect over not having a freakin' life and being in perpetual mental/physcial anguish.

#13 revlow

revlow

Hey, we just won a Peabody. Respect our authority!

• Pip
  • 1339 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 01:30 AM

Oh, when I was on an SSRI I considered not orgasming or having difficulty orgasming as horrendous.  But now that I can't even take an SSRI and have been in the depths of horrific treatment resistant agitated depression for THREE YEARS, I would take that side effect over not having a freakin' life and being in perpetual mental/physcial anguish.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kat:

I just came across this. Relative newbie here. You've probably already addressed this possibility, but I'm just wondering if you've been evaluated for BPII? Agitation may -- but not always -- qualify as "hypomania". Treatment-resistant depression is also a potential indicator.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest going to: Mood swings without "manic" episodes: Bipolar II - more than plain depression, but never delusional or psychotic -- really good resource of info on BPII, as well as other types on the bipolar spectrum.

I've had severe depression all my life. Since 18 was diagnosed as refractory depression -- only now at 50 have been diagnosed correctly as BPII. On Lamictal now, and it's making a big difference.

Anyway, just a thought. I wish you the best.
dx: Some flavor of BP (probably BPII). previous dx: Refractory Depression
rx: Lamictal 600 mg. Maybe still climbing?

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.