Effexor-XR and alcohol?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bernard_*

Guest_Bernard_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:12 PM

Hi,
I am pretty new here, and new to these feelings. I have a question about Effexor-XR. I have been on it for about 6 months and in that time my doc has advised that I do not touch alcohol. Have any of you dealt with alcohol and Effexor-XR? Can I have a little bit? My Doc is being pretty hardcore mean about it and to be quite truthful, cold turkey on red wine has been one of the most upsetting parts of this treatment.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks
B

#2 Greenyflower

Greenyflower

WTF NOS

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:24 PM

I agree with your doc. I was on Effexor XR for about 2 years and it made alcohol a very unpredictable experience. It's very easy to get really drunk on one or two drinks. For me, it also had the nasty ability to make me feel hyper and exhausted at the same time. That wasn't fun. Topped off with migraine-quality hangovers and residual depression the next day, I finally gave up drinking for the most part. I'd order one drink and keep nursing it along for hours by adding ice and letting it melt. By that time it was more about enjoying being around friends than drinking.

Greeny
[link=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/" target="_blank]Posted Image[/link]

#3 tallulah

tallulah

slide

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 498 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:27 PM

well...as a general rule its not a 'good' idea to drink while taking any psych meds.

when i spoke to my doc about having a few drinks every now and then while taking effexor XR, he was fine with it as long as i didnt overdo it. a lot of doctors have very different opinions on having drinks while taking medications.

and when i DID have a few, i was fine. i actually couldnt get drunk while i was taking it! although...you WILL find that some people on the boards have had a completely different reaction.

tal
living like this is a full-time business.

"it felt like a low level of despair. you're not getting any answers, but you are living okay and you can smile at the office."

#4 trg247

trg247

not everything is what it appears to be

• Pip
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:27 PM

I am not suppose to touch alcohol but I do, I don't listen very well. The thing is I tested it with beer. I had one bottle of beer and waited and nothing happenned. The next night had two and noticed the effect was coming on a lot stronger compared to when I was not on any meds. I guess the big thing is know your limits and take it slowly. Oh I have not tried three yet.

take care
dx: severe MDD with psychotic features, BPD, C-PTSD, GAD, lengthy Self Harm history
rx: Seroquel 100mg 3 times daily + 50mg as needed, Temazapam
past rx: Nardil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Remeron, Lithium, Zyprexa, Ativan, Paxil, Celexa, Klonopin, Xanax, Trazadone and a few others
alias: untreatableonline, untreatable

#5 Tom

Tom

I may not look like it, but I am not stable

• Pip
  • 717 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:27 PM

It was ok for me to drink on, and i was on 300mg. The thing is you start feeling sick (nausea) faster than normally and you don't feel so good the next day. Besides that i didn't have any freaky experiences with drinking on Effexor. But your mind may vary...

Tom
dx: anxiety and depression
current meds: Invega 3mg, Clonazepam 6mg, Inderal 40mg, Cipralex 20mg
previous meds: Paxil (did nothing except i wasn't able to achieve the big O), Zyban, Effexor, Celexa, Remeron, Xanax, Ativan, Neurontin, Zoloft (useless), Wellbutrin XL (a joke), Buspar (made me suicidal), Moclobemide (made anxiety worse), Nardil (crapshot. Didn't do anything good and made me faint from low BP), Zyprexa, Seroquel (nope, no sedation), Atenolol (didn't stop the shakes), Imipramine, Doxepin, Risperdal, Lamictal (made anxiety bad), Cymbalta (fail), Lyrica

Listen to my music! Some sad :( some happy :) some neutral :| Click here

#6 NYPaintLady

NYPaintLady

Does my fat ass make my ass look fat?

• Pip
  • 413 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 02:48 AM

I agree with your doc. I was on Effexor XR for about 2 years and it made alcohol a very unpredictable experience. It's very easy to get really drunk on one or two drinks. For me, it also had the nasty ability to make me feel hyper and exhausted at the same time. That wasn't fun. Topped off with migraine-quality hangovers and residual depression the next day, I finally gave up drinking for the most part. I'd order one drink and keep nursing it along for hours by adding ice and letting it melt. By that time it was more about enjoying being around friends than drinking.

Greeny

My experience was similar to Greeny's. I was on effex xr 225 or 300mg for five plus years. I did drink while taking effex and it didn't seemed to hit me as quickly as it does when I'm not taking effex and it also seemed as if I lost my buzz way quicker than I used to.

One reason the docs don't like for thier patients to drink while on meds is because alcohol is a depressant and if you're taking ad's, the alcohol counteracts their purpose. Plus, it can be dangerous to you to drink while taking phychiatric drugs.
Shouldn't ugly people be friendlier?

#7 Cerberus

Cerberus

Not Entirely Human

• Inmate
  • 1854 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 09:26 AM

Good Lord, no.

I've been on Effexor XR for more than two years now (currently 300mg), as the only thing that dents my Double Depression. A while back I decided that a person couldn't be a Kentucky Colonel and not at least pretend to drink bourbon, so I took it up for sippin', diluted with ginger ale. One shot drunk over the course of an hour gets me sick at my stomach. And, as NYPaintLady points out, taking an antidepressant and a depressant (alcohol) together makes about as much sense as taking a shower in a rubber suit.

Plus, the alcohol could mobilize the medication in your system in unexpected ways, none of them pleasant. I stand with your pdoc on this one.

Cerberus

Kentuckian by birth, Gallifreyan by choice

... if you gaze too long into the Abyss, the Abyss gazes also into you. - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Not only am I not a doctor, I'm not even human. See your psychiatrist or physician before taking any psychoactive medication.

Dx: Refractive Double Depression (Treatment-resistant MDD + Dysthymia), Asperger's Syndrome, Hemiplegic Migraine, and a touch of Tourette's Syndrome for the delightful cherry on top.
Rx: EffexorXR 450mg, Prozac 20mg, Adderall 30mg, Topamax 25mg

Boards I Moderate: Depression. Antidepressants. Migraines. Sleep. Therapy. Parenting. Spirituality. GLBT.

#8 Wonder

Wonder

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 12:04 PM

I think there are some antidepressants that are okay to drink on, as long as you're careful, even if the label on your pill bottle advises against it. I also think that for most people, Effexor XR is NOT one of those. You may have already read the stuff about Effexor on Crazy Meds, but if you haven't, you should. From what I've read, it makes some people really crave alcohol. For some people, it makes them able to drink a ridiculous amount without getting drunk, but they still want to drink more. For other people, it really intensifies the effects of alcohol, and you get really drunk a lot faster.

My own experience with Effexor XR and alcohol doesn't relate to your situation at all, but I'll mention it briefly anyway. Suffice it to say that I had a very bad experience related to drinking while taking Effexor XR, which really intensified the effects of alcohol for me and I wound up in a psychiatric hospital for a few days. But this doesn't really relate to your situation, since I'm bipolar and an idiot psychiatrist prescribed me Effexor XR and nothing else. I had rapid cycling and/or mixed state stuff going on for a few weeks, and then I got drunk and that worked out poorly.
Rx: Zoloft 50 mg, Epival (Depakote) 500 mg
Past Rx: Risperdal, Rivotril (Klonopin), Topamax, Ativan, Zyprexa, Effexor XR

#9 Bernard

Bernard

Sleep Deprived

• Pip
  • 442 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:04 AM

Against all good advice I drank wine (x 3 glasses of Shiraz) this weekend, while on my Effexor XR. It was great! I was happy and giggly, I danced and I felt wonderful. But those feelings wore off pretty quickly and I slumped into a terrible depression.

Alcohol + Effexor = bad idea.

Lesson learnt. (For a while...)

dx: mdd; pmdd; ocd; gad; 
rx: Pristiq; ACT (therapy)
past rx:Effexor-XR; Zoloft
I'm a girl.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it enjoy the view..."

"My own hands can never wash me clean of every thought that I try to master..."

#10 Guest_Daniel_*

Guest_Daniel_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:05 AM

I drinked more than 15 beer with effexor and smoking pot as well, i think for some reason that i was not that drunk or affected, I played big brain academy with friends and hit a super score (450pts), it was anormal. However i was feeling very down the days after, more depressed. Conclusion dont do this, leave that to professionals and rock stars!

#11 aphax311

aphax311

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:48 PM

For what its worth (not to revive a necro post), I haven't had truly negative experiences with Effexor XR and alcohol. I do take a small dose (75mg), but really the only additional problems I have is that I have a worse hangover than I did without it, and typically get a bit more drunk more quickly (i.e., will feel drunk after 4 beers instead of 6-7). However, I have never felt anxious during these times.

#12 mcjimjam

mcjimjam

• Pip
  • 1329 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:50 AM

I found I got drunk quicker on Effexor-XR. That was the only interaction I noticed. 

Dx: BP2, ADD, anxiety
Rx: Lithium 1000mg (0.6mEq/L)
, Cymbalta 120mg, Concerta 36mg, Remeron 15mg, Inderal 10mg, Ativan 0.5-1mg PRN

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.