Photo
- - - - -

has ANYONE EVER lost weight while on Effexor?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 velveteen

velveteen

never eat anything bigger than your head

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:18 AM

OK, let me say first, I'm not perfect.

I still drink wine too often, but for the most part the WAY I am eating should lend to some weight loss.

I am taking 150g Effexor and prior to that I was on Seroxat (European version of Paxil) and I have definitely gained steadily in the last couple of years. When I started I was probably around 75 KG (160 lbs) and I now weigh a whopping 100KG (220 lbs). The first 18 months on meds I was severely depressed, drank a lot and emotional ate, so I know it's NOT all the meds fault.

I'm so, so, so sick and tired of weighing 100KG. Last November, I went to weight watchers (again - I'm a lifetime member; previously lost 28KG and kept it off for 3 years) and I weighed in at 103KG fully clothed. I ended up quitting meetings for whatever reason (I don't know anymore) and just trying to do it without having to pay for it. I lose a KG or two, then gain one back, then lose one, then gain two... you get the picture... I'm still weighing 100KG no matter what!!

I don't exercise, I know I should if I really want it to work... I did exercise twice last week (I have an elliptical at home) and I'm going to do it now regularly if it freaking kills me.

I'm just wondering... has ANYONE here ever lost weight while still on Effexor??? Should I even flippin' bother trying??? I'm not saying I'm going back to the beer and pizza diet, I'm just saying should I just accept this for now and stop being so hard on myself for this extra weight? (I hate it by the way, I feel disgusting and huge and gross, but I know that is all in my mind)

Anyone?

#2 ravenonice

ravenonice

• Pip
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:29 AM

I lost weight on 225 effexor. I was feeling really good. It was animating and I really felt like depression was over. Now I'm on cymbalta and I've gained 30 lbs. I've added 37mg of effexor but think I'll go back on it. The cymbalta make me sleepy.
raven
[link=http://www.633tv.com/" target="_blank]http://www.633tv.com/[/link]
for fun see Out Of The Tank cartoons,
Roller Girls and Philly Music

You better get it while you can
If you wait too long it'll all be gone
so you better get it while you can
It don't matter if you're rich or poor
It's the same for a woman or a man
From the cradle to the crypt is a mighty short trip
so you better get it while you can.
- steve goodman

#3 Dee

Dee

• Pip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:37 AM

I lost 10 pounds when I started Effexor. It would have continued but Seroquel was added as a sleep aid and gave me the munchies.

Effexor suppressed my appetite.
"I may be dead, but I'm still pretty."~ Buffy

DX: BP1, GAD

RX: Trileptal 1350 mg, Topamax 100 mg, Lexapro 10 mg, Effexor 225 mg, Seroquel 150-200 mg, Clonazepam prn.

#4 celestia

celestia

• Pip
  • 3855 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:52 AM

Hey Velveteen!

Where you been girl? Good to hear from you. I am titrating back on Effexor (at 150 mgs. now). I took it for 5 or 6 years but went off it when the major depression of Bradley dying hit me. I thought Effexor pooped at the time, but in the 20/20 vision of hindsight, I realize now NO AD would have worked to make me feel anything other than wretched back then.

Like Raven I went on Cymbalta and at first it worked, but it pooped early, like 6 mos. in, and I gained weight on it.

When I was on Effexor before, I was at my best weight 150-160 (I'm 5'8" and large boned), I worked out often, I did the required cardio to lose and then maintain my lower weight, but I was on Effexor 225 mgs. It was so effective with my depression, I had the motivation to work out. Cardio is key to the whole thing, and it sound like you know that. Not to mention the major supplemental depression fighting benefit of regular cardio.

I keep saying I'm going to get into a regular schedule of cardio, but I have become so much like the tin man with my arthritis that it's hard to move and I didn't for a long time between it and depression. I know when I hit 200 pounds, I was hugely (ha) depressed. That was late winter early spring. I have lost a solid 10 pounds since then. With water fluctuations etc., I have a plus/minus of an addition 5-7 pounds, I use my clothes more than scales to judge where I'm at. For one I don't have a scale, and with all the doc's offices I trevail through it's impossible to know which one of their scales is the most accurate.

But just being down from 200, solidly distant from that awful number, give me hope again. I'm on a treatment for my rheumatoid arthritis and have about another month or so till it kicks in and hopefully knocks the RA back into remission again. When my bones feel better I want to get very aerobic, for now, I move and move a lot but it's non-aerobic so I'm not gaining, but I'm not losing steadily.

I did change my diet too, I lapse there, 'specially with the hormones going crazy. Being 45, closing in on 46 in a few months.

Good luck, come back more often!

S9
diagnoses: MDD/ADD/PTSD
Current meds: Wellbutrin 450/Lexapro 30

#5 Loon-A-TiK

Loon-A-TiK

Is there no way out of the mind? - Sylvia Plath

• Pip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:05 PM

I didn't take that evil crap for very long (it made me vomit), but probably because it made me vomit (took it for 4 months), i actually lost 20lbs and weighed 110. i usually weigh between 130-140 so that isn't good for me.

some people look normal or slender at lower weights and taller heights. for unknown reasons i'm fairly thin and weigh "a lot" to look thin. i wear a 4/6. on that effexor crap i wore a 0/2.
DX-BP1 w/psychotic symptoms, PTSD, ADD (Inattentive), and body dysmorphic disorder
Daily RX- WB 300mg, Lamictal 400mg, Abilify 20mg, Adderall XR 30mg, Inderal 10mgx2, Nuvaring
a multi-vitamin, hair/skin/nails vitamin, super 50-b complex vitamin, flax oil

prn- Zyprexa 10-20mg for emergencies

In memory of my dad, BP1 suicide. I love you and miss you!

EX RX- Seroquel, Risperdal, Geodon (master of all that is evil), Zyprexa (the good stuff), Zyprexa Zydis, Trazadon, Depakote, Lithium, Serzone, Paxil, Effexor, Lexapro, Haldol, Strattera, Topamax, Symmetrel, other old school ACs, and more I can't remember now

"Can a selfish egocentric jealous and unimaginative female write a damn thing worthwhile?" - Sylvia Plath

If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it at all.

#6 velveteen

velveteen

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:29 AM

I lost weight on 225 effexor. I was feeling really good. It was animating and I really felt like depression was over. Now I'm on cymbalta and I've gained 30 lbs. I've added 37mg of effexor but think I'll go back on it. The cymbalta make me sleepy.
raven

Hi Raven
I have the same feeling actually now that I am taking MORE effexor. I was on 75mg for a longass time and now for the past several months have been at 150mg, which is good. I only rarely have episodes where I feel like crap for unexplained reasons.

I'm scared to go off for several reasons... I guess it's better to be fat and happy(er) than out of control and losing weight...

I lost 10 pounds when I started Effexor. It would have continued but Seroquel was added as a sleep aid and gave me the munchies.

Effexor suppressed my appetite.

Thanks for answering Dee. Maybe it really IS my diet and not the meds????

What's wierd is that I don't generally have the munchies or truly overeat, I hardly even emotionally eat anymore, so it's not that I have uncontrollable eating. I don't know but it's pissing me off ;)

#7 velveteen

velveteen

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:40 AM

Hey Velveteen!

Where you been girl? Good to hear from you. I am titrating back on Effexor (at 150 mgs. now). I took it for 5 or 6 years but went off it when the major depression of Bradley dying hit me. I thought Effexor pooped at the time, but in the 20/20 vision of hindsight, I realize now NO AD would have worked to make me feel anything other than wretched back then.

Like Raven I went on Cymbalta and at first it worked, but it pooped early, like 6 mos. in, and I gained weight on it.

When I was on Effexor before, I was at my best weight 150-160 (I'm 5'8" and large boned), I worked out often, I did the required cardio to lose and then maintain my lower weight, but I was on Effexor 225 mgs. It was so effective with my depression, I had the motivation to work out. Cardio is key to the whole thing, and it sound like you know that. Not to mention the major supplemental depression fighting benefit of regular cardio.

I keep saying I'm going to get into a regular schedule of cardio, but I have become so much like the tin man with my arthritis that it's hard to move and I didn't for a long time between it and depression. I know when I hit 200 pounds, I was hugely (ha) depressed. That was late winter early spring. I have lost a solid 10 pounds since then. With water fluctuations etc., I have a plus/minus of an addition 5-7 pounds, I use my clothes more than scales to judge where I'm at. For one I don't have a scale, and with all the doc's offices I trevail through it's impossible to know which one of their scales is the most accurate.

But just being down from 200, solidly distant from that awful number, give me hope again. I'm on a treatment for my rheumatoid arthritis and have about another month or so till it kicks in and hopefully knocks the RA back into remission again. When my bones feel better I want to get very aerobic, for now, I move and move a lot but it's non-aerobic so I'm not gaining, but I'm not losing steadily.

I did change my diet too, I lapse there, 'specially with the hormones going crazy. Being 45, closing in on 46 in a few months.

Good luck, come back more often!

S9

s9
thanks so much! hmmm, where have I been? I don't know to be honest! Going through another one of those withdrawl periods I guess!

Sometimes I want to just use my clothes as a guide and destroy my scale with a sledgehammer. I don't get on the scale too very often, but still too much. Ultimately I don't even want to look once a week, but since I'm more actively trying to lose weight again, it's a good gauge (for a while anyway).

While I don't have the kind of issues you (and that sucks and I am sorry that you have the kind of pain you have) have, because of my weight I hurt more, my feet, my knees, my ankles... which makes me want to NOT exercise... but I know in the end, it will take away some of the physical pain so I just need to keep trying.

The more I think about it, the more I think drinking is a big culprit...

#8 velveteen

velveteen

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:44 AM

I didn't take that evil crap for very long (it made me vomit), but probably because it made me vomit (took it for 4 months), i actually lost 20lbs and weighed 110. i usually weigh between 130-140 so that isn't good for me.

some people look normal or slender at lower weights and taller heights. for unknown reasons i'm fairly thin and weigh "a lot" to look thin. i wear a 4/6. on that effexor crap i wore a 0/2.

Loon
thanks for responding. I know not all meds work the same for everyone. Horrible that it made you so ill.

I don't know what I look like. I think I look like a fat, disgusting pig. But I'm pretty hard on myself. At 5'5", 220 lbs and a size 18... I think it's pretty bad ;)

You know I don't even lose weight when I'm ill or when I'm stressed or depressed. Nothing makes me lose weight except a proper diet and exercise :)

#9 december_brigette

december_brigette

• Pip
  • 2626 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:25 AM

Hi V:

I had major problems when I was on effexor. The biggest issue was drinking. that shit made me drink every day. and there are a whole lot of medical professionals that will deny the drinking crave....but Im tellin' you - effexor made me drink alcohol unlike anything else in the whole world.

and a diet of beer + candy = weight gain. ;)

good luck!!!
december

dx: bipolar 1, anxiety, and a little ptsd

current meds:
cymbalta 90mgs
depakote 1500 mg
prazosin 1 mg
seroquel 50 mg

topamax 50mg
xanax 2.50 mg

other meds ive tried: abilify, ambien, effexor xr, lamictal, lexapro, lithium, lunesta, paxil, provigil, tegretol, trazodone, wellbutrin, zoloft.

"I mixed Benadryl and Tegretol one time. Spent three days guessing weight at the Iowa State Fair. Got crabs, and a tattoo, of a crab," Andy on "weeds."

"Psychiatry is just this year's candy pink stove." from the tv show Madmen.

#10 velveteen

velveteen

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:46 AM

Very interesting DB! Because I can drink a lot now (not proud of it mind you) and it doesn't seem to phase me. I know it's not good for me though. Maybe I need to switch again????

#11 ravenonice

ravenonice

• Pip
  • 298 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:11 AM

Take a good look at what you ARE eating and add some movement.
Enjoy the way you feel. It's a great drug for those who can take it.
Thanks sor starting this. It made me realize I need to go back on it.
raven
[link=http://www.633tv.com/" target="_blank]http://www.633tv.com/[/link]
for fun see Out Of The Tank cartoons,
Roller Girls and Philly Music

If you wait too long it'll all be gone
so you better get it while you can
It don't matter if you're rich or poor
It's the same for a woman or a man
From the cradle to the crypt is a mighty short trip
so you better get it while you can.
- steve goodman

#12 velveteen

velveteen

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:07 AM

Thank you Raven!

I am currently journaling my intake AND I *started* exercising again last week. Being totally honest with myself too (keeping a blog on wordpress). Will just keep at it even though the scale not moving is frustrating... and try to focus on the positives!

#13 Ophelia

Ophelia

I bitch, therefore I am...

• Pip
  • 3287 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:33 PM

first off, even if a scale isn't reflecting a weight loss, that doesn't necessarily mean that you haven't lost *inches.* Just a thought...

Anywayz...

I was on various doses of effexor for a significant amount of time, one of the reasons being that I had discontinuation issues. I'm pretty sure that I was not one of those lucky people who just lost weight on the med, no such luck. I was, though, actively trying to lose weight, which I did start successfully doing after a while.

I guess some things you might want to take into consideration, though, are that I have a... umm... history and am susceptible to disordered eating habits, so some, but not all, of my weight loss can be attributed to that.

When weight loss is concerned, drinking does become an issue. After losing weight, I also gained weight on effexor and I blame some of it on drinking.

You seem determined. I think that if you keep up that attitude, exercise, and eat right, you should get results at some point. Maybe you wont get them as fast as you might like, but sometimes it takes a while.

stay well

"Instant gratification takes too long." ~Carrie Fisher

"You're wrong! I do have feelings. I'm an actress! I have all of them." ~Elise Elliot (Goldie Hawn), 'The First Wives Club'

"The defects and faults of the mind are like wounds in the body. After all imaginable care has been taken to heal them up, still there will be a scar left behind." ~Francois de la Rochefoucauld

"It has been said that time heals all wounds. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens, but it is never gone." ~Rose Kennedy

#14 pinkybee

pinkybee

yes?

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:23 AM

I had no appetite. And I lost about 12kg.
I had my first blackout after guzzling a few drinks too quickly - usually could handle those few drinks easily.

#15 Lily

Lily

• Pip
  • 628 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:59 AM

hello!

Another point on the graph for ya. I started Effex about 3 months ago (maybe; my memory's shot). I'm at 225.

Lately, I've been doing a bit of exercising (which is a lot more than I used to do). I've also sprouted this gut. Where did this come from? I don't know. Maybe the exercise is causing it?

I was pretty neutral on Effex, until lately, when the gut appeared. I also take Ritalin--that stuff had me down to 48kg last summer, but it doesn't seem to have the weight loss effect it used to. Oh well. I am at 54kg and this is a good weight--if only I could redistribute it a bit.

lily
Diagnoses: ADD, depression.
Have tried: Prozac, Provigil, Strattera, Ludiomil, Trazodone (desyrel), Minalcipran, Wellbutrin, Depakane, Zoplicone (Amoban).
Now on: Effexor 225mg, Ritalin 90mg, Asahi Super Dry as needed.

#16 Thomas

Thomas

• Pip
  • 2051 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 02:34 PM

I was already losing weight, but continued to on effexor (about 8 pounds on 225)

Tommy
Dx:BP1, OCD, Diabetetes Type 2, Hypertension, Gastroparesis & kidney stones
Rx: Abilify 20 mg., Klonopin 6.0 mg., Restoril 30 mg. Cymbalta 120 mg. , Lamictal 400 mg., Cogentin 1.5 mg. Crestor 10 mg. hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg., Hyzaar 100/25 mg., domperidone 20 mg. and Levemir Insulin 40 units, Actos 45 mg.,Proprananol ER 80 mg., Hydrocodone/APAP 40 mg./4000 mg., tizanidine 1 mg., Fiorocet 3 mg.

#17 velveteen

velveteen

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:11 AM

Hi guys,
I just wanted to update:

My boyfriend downloaded the new WW program for me and after 1 week I lost 2 KG! So it's actually NOT what I was eating, NOT the effexor, but the portion sizes!

I love the program and it's so freakin easy to just do it on my computer as the day goes along (I write stuff down in a little notebook too so I can write stuff down while I'm at work). I'm exercising too and that seems to be helping as well.

Many thanks for all your responses ;)

#18 ~nestling~

~nestling~

fragile yet strong

• Pip
  • 1606 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:50 AM

I lost about half a stone on efexor (75-150mg)

I have anorexic tendencies. not good news.

total loss of appetite, and nauseousness.

I lost about half a stone on efexor (75-150mg)

I have anorexic tendencies. not good news.

total loss of appetite, and nauseousness.

In the Dark and the Deep there are truths that can always heal~Ken Wilber
[Recurrent (Chronic Major) Depression - Complex Trauma&Borderline]

#19 Sophia85

Sophia85

• Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 02:56 PM

I lost about 20 lbs on effexor. I had no appetite and I was nauseus all the time.

BUT I also got suicidal and psychotic so it was not the drug for me!
Shana

Dx: Schizoaffective Disorder Bipolar Type, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Bulimia Nervosa (in recovery), L5 Radiculopathy

Rx: Abilify 30mgs, Topamax 300mgs, Wellbutrin XL 300mgs, Lithium 300mgs, Xanax 1mg PRN,

"But I tell you life is sweet in spite of the misery" -Natalie Merchant

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.