Crushing pills?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dweii

Dweii

• Pip
  • 1069 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:33 AM

Since half an hour (approx. the time most benzos take to kick in, for me) can seem like a looong time when having a panic attack, I asked my pdoc is crushing the pills, and eating it with yoghurt or something, would make them work faster. She thought it would, since that means less work for the stomach acid, but had no experience with it.

Anyone?

Waaaaiiit a minute... I knew it.

#2 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:54 PM

Generally it is OK to crush regular pills.

Do NOT crush extended release or controlled release pills, because they have either special coatings or special capsules that allow the medicine to be released over time. If you do crush them you may receive too much meds all at once, causing side effects, and then the medicine will wear off quickly and you will not have the extended effectiveness.

a.m.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#3 Tom

Tom

I may not look like it, but I am not stable

• Pip
  • 717 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:48 PM

I've chewed my clonazepam pills a few times with no ill effects. I think it does help it to kick in sooner. I don't know about chewing anything else tho.

Tom
dx: anxiety and depression
current meds: Invega 3mg, Clonazepam 6mg, Inderal 40mg, Cipralex 20mg
previous meds: Paxil (did nothing except i wasn't able to achieve the big O), Zyban, Effexor, Celexa, Remeron, Xanax, Ativan, Neurontin, Zoloft (useless), Wellbutrin XL (a joke), Buspar (made me suicidal), Moclobemide (made anxiety worse), Nardil (crapshot. Didn't do anything good and made me faint from low BP), Zyprexa, Seroquel (nope, no sedation), Atenolol (didn't stop the shakes), Imipramine, Doxepin, Risperdal, Lamictal (made anxiety bad), Cymbalta (fail), Lyrica

Listen to my music! Some sad :( some happy :) some neutral :| Click here

#4 Dweii

Dweii

• Pip
  • 1069 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:11 AM

I have Klonopin too (no extended realease or anything), but I think I would throw up if I tried chewing them.

So crushing them should help? I'll try that in case of an emergency, if I'm at home. Chrushing pills at a public bathroom just may seem a little bit suspicious.

Waaaaiiit a minute... I knew it.

#5 Dee

Dee

• Pip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:45 AM

I find Valium hits quicker when chewed. V's taste ok to me though.
"I may be dead, but I'm still pretty."~ Buffy

DX: BP1, GAD

RX: Trileptal 1350 mg, Topamax 100 mg, Lexapro 10 mg, Effexor 225 mg, Seroquel 150-200 mg, Clonazepam prn.

#6 ehygon

ehygon

• Pip
  • 440 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:22 AM

I let my ativan dissolve under my tongue, and it works pretty fast. There are forms meant for that route of administration, but I just use regular ones, and it works the same. I'm not sure if you can do that with any other benzos, but it might work?

#7 CheshireCat

CheshireCat

• Pip
  • 234 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:15 PM

I also let Ativans melt under my tongue. Fast action. They're actually kind of sweet. Go figure. I could imagine other pills might be kind of bitter and could make someone sick, but Ativan...kind of yummy. Good Lord. I do know any time-release pills can NOT be chewed, crushed or otherwise destroyed...

good luck...
DX: Bipolar I Rapid Cycling, Anxiety, Asperger's
RX: Lamictal, Topamax, Seroquel

---------------------------------------

We aren't here to make things perfect.
The snowflakes are perfect. The stars are perfect.
Not us.
We are here to ruin ourselves.
And to break our hearts.
And love the wrong people.
And die.

--Ronnie Camareri, Moonstruck

#8 myevilme

myevilme

• Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:39 PM

I chew up my klonopin all the time, I think they taste mildy like sweettarts. It's a great drug but waiting an hour for it to kick in just doesn't cut it sometimes. I've also tried snorting them a couple of times, that really makes them work fast, but it burns like hell and gives you a stuffy nose. Not highly recommended, but I was despesperate at the time.
Psych Diagnoses: Bipolar (never asked which flavor, just give me something to fix it!) GAD & Panic Disorder (don't know why they put both down on my charts, feels the same to me)

Other Problems:
HIV+

invega 9mg (formerly 800mg seroquel)
1200 Neurontin
45 remeron
3mg klonopin

HIV Meds:
Lexiva, Epzicom, Norvir

#9 Penny Century

Penny Century

"For now we see through a glass, darkly."

• Admin
  • 2304 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:29 PM

they also make a sublingual klonopin (though it's brand so more spensy) and a sublingual xanax which i think is called nirivan or something that sounds close to nirvana and makes me giggle. if only a pill could take me there.

i've let regular klono dissolve under my tongue (less tastebuds) and it was fine. though maybe it varies a lot by manufacturer.

i don't take klonopin anymore, but i still have some of the sublinguals stashed in key spots (car, purse, etc.) for panic attacks.
"Participation without awareness is a characteristic of impulsive and mood dependent behaviors... The ability to apply verbal labels to behavioral and enviornental events is essential for both communication and self-control. Learning to describe requires that a person learn not to take emotions and thoughts literally-- that is, as literal reflections of environmental events."

~Marsha M. Linehan

~My Profile in case you wanna know my meds and what not~

#10 Tom

Tom

I may not look like it, but I am not stable

• Pip
  • 717 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 12:16 AM

I chew up my klonopin all the time, I think they taste mildy like sweettarts. It's a great drug but waiting an hour for it to kick in just doesn't cut it sometimes. I've also tried snorting them a couple of times, that really makes them work fast, but it burns like hell and gives you a stuffy nose. Not highly recommended, but I was despesperate at the time.

I hope you're joking about the snorting. I don't think it's a healthy way to absorb the medication.

Tom
dx: anxiety and depression
current meds: Invega 3mg, Clonazepam 6mg, Inderal 40mg, Cipralex 20mg
previous meds: Paxil (did nothing except i wasn't able to achieve the big O), Zyban, Effexor, Celexa, Remeron, Xanax, Ativan, Neurontin, Zoloft (useless), Wellbutrin XL (a joke), Buspar (made me suicidal), Moclobemide (made anxiety worse), Nardil (crapshot. Didn't do anything good and made me faint from low BP), Zyprexa, Seroquel (nope, no sedation), Atenolol (didn't stop the shakes), Imipramine, Doxepin, Risperdal, Lamictal (made anxiety bad), Cymbalta (fail), Lyrica

Listen to my music! Some sad :( some happy :) some neutral :| Click here

#11 zsandoz

zsandoz

random noise

• Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:44 AM

klonopin is not very water soluble so snorting it is not going to accelerate the effects too much, basically it will be slowly absorbed thru your nasal cell membranes and you will have a lot of junk lodged in your nose for a long time. in other words, sublingual dosing is probably the only way to accelerate its effects.

i had an (ex-)friend who tried mixing it with water and shooting it in his arm! (he did this because he was going through oxycontin withdrawal) he had a terrible reaction (probably due to solid klonopin particles not dissolving) and his parents took him to the hospital, he didnt particularly win the genius of the year award that year. =)

i think the klonopin tastes kind of like a mint when you chew it ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
nardil 60mg/day, mirtazapine 15mg/day

#12 Loon-A-TiK

Loon-A-TiK

Is there no way out of the mind? - Sylvia Plath

• Pip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 03:03 PM

i've chewed up my klonopin before and i think it hits my system faster. i usually feel klonopin in 15 minutes or so, chewing it i feel it in more like 10. it is a benzo that takes longer to hit (at least it is that way for me), but lasts longer, so for me is worth the initial wait.

if i'm in a huge pinch and i need something NOW then i have a few of my boyfriend's xanax, which works almost right away. it has a short life in your system, but wow, it gets the job done to avoid a panic attack (which is why he has them, terrible panic attacks).

loon
DX-BP1 w/psychotic symptoms, PTSD, ADD (Inattentive), and body dysmorphic disorder
Daily RX- WB 300mg, Lamictal 400mg, Abilify 20mg, Adderall XR 30mg, Inderal 10mgx2, Nuvaring
a multi-vitamin, hair/skin/nails vitamin, super 50-b complex vitamin, flax oil

prn- Zyprexa 10-20mg for emergencies

In memory of my dad, BP1 suicide. I love you and miss you!

EX RX- Seroquel, Risperdal, Geodon (master of all that is evil), Zyprexa (the good stuff), Zyprexa Zydis, Trazadon, Depakote, Lithium, Serzone, Paxil, Effexor, Lexapro, Haldol, Strattera, Topamax, Symmetrel, other old school ACs, and more I can't remember now

"Can a selfish egocentric jealous and unimaginative female write a damn thing worthwhile?" - Sylvia Plath

If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it at all.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.