adderall put me to sleep, why?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wannabeok

wannabeok

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:38 PM

I just started on Adderall XR for ADHD and took 15mgs this AM and then took a 3 hour nap a few hours later.  I even felt kinda tired the whole time before I took the nap.

Does anyone know why this would happen?

#2 StrungOutOnLife

StrungOutOnLife

• Pip
  • 644 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:54 PM

Not sure, but I remember MovieMouse getting that on Dexedrine before she added Provigil.

The results of this Google search have been dismal so far.

Edited by StrungOutOnLife, 23 June 2005 - 07:29 PM.

Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the Universe.
--Kurt Vonnegut, Hocus Pocus

Anyone who expects you to "snap out of it" is essentially asking you to perform your own brain surgery via telekinesis.
--Me

#3 wannabeok

wannabeok

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:29 PM

Not sure, but I remember MovieMouse getting that on Dexedrine before she added Provigil.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My pdoc called me back and said maybe I need a smaller dose, but suggested I stay on the 15mg for a week to see if it goes away and to keep a journal.

#4 pigsaflyin

pigsaflyin

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:50 PM

Your pdoc is probably on the right track, at least according to my own pdoc -who states that  it is not uncommon for ADDers to actually sleep more/better (I'm a lifetime insomniac, sleeping better on strattera) when their ADD is treated.

Although Strattera is not a perfect fix (so far), it does help that way and with depression, at least.

Good luck; I hope you find the right dose and med.

pigs
PLAY IT LOUD, PLAY IT PROUD.

fireinthehole.mp3

#5 StrungOutOnLife

StrungOutOnLife

• Pip
  • 644 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:54 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My pdoc called me back and said maybe I need a smaller dose, but suggested I stay on the 15mg for a week to see if it goes away and to keep a journal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Straight from The Crazymeds ADD/ADHD Medications & Desperation-time Antidepressants page:

The sleep thing is weird, while insomnia or just a general need for less sleep is common, yet with some forms of ADD/ADHD some of the speedier ones like Desoxyn, Adderall and especially Dexedrine can actually help people sleep better. Again this is not an example of the paradoxical effect but just a smoothing out of brain activity, I just wish I knew what the deal was with Dexedrine and sleep.  I keep getting and reading more reports (you know, anecdotal evidence) of people getting really sleeping on Dexedrine.

Why I didn't think of this before, I don't know.
Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the Universe.
--Kurt Vonnegut, Hocus Pocus

Anyone who expects you to "snap out of it" is essentially asking you to perform your own brain surgery via telekinesis.
--Me

#6 ldo

ldo

• Pip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:51 PM

I've had the sleepy thing too. Seems like it's a bit less with time. I definitely fall asleep easier with Adderall, even when I'm stressed, which is most of the time these days. During the day I often want to take a nap, but I can work thru it. Occasionally I have this funny feeling where I want to do something useful or sleep, but not hang around. I've had the 3 hour nap, too. Might be better to set an alarm so it isn't so long.

15 mg seems like a lot, but I don't know much about XR. It's funny that they administer the XR so much. For me, the generic regular stuff lasts long enough that two doses usually cover the day for me. And I'm talking about from 8am to midnight. In fact, I have to make sure that I make myself go to sleep or I'll stay up and wear myuself out.
dx:
dysthymia, ADD (mostly inattentive)
(dysthymia well treated, ADD not so much)
rx:
dexedrine 5mg three times/day, sorta
back on Prozac, alternating 5 and 7.5mg/day
150mg bupropion sr (generic Welbutrin) daily
clonidine for sleep, I forget how much
various heart/bp/cholesterol meds

#7 wannabeok

wannabeok

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:50 PM

My second dose of adderall didn't put me to sleep, and may have improved my focus a little.  It didn't slow me down much though and a coworker said that I was bouncing off the walls (as usual).  I had no problem going to sleep after work and slept really well.

#8 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13062 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 05:16 PM

You might want to try supplementing your meds with something like 500mgs of l-tyrosine in case the problem has something to do with norepenephrine depletion.  It is likely that some part of the action of amphetamines is due to norepenephrine reuptake inhibition.  NA depleation would therefore have the same effect as it does with the non-stimulant SNRI Strattera and Ednorax, ie, feeling sleepy.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#9 wannabeok

wannabeok

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 03:34 PM

NA depleation would therefore have the same effect as it does with the non-stimulant SNRI Strattera and Ednorax, ie, feeling sleepy.

This sounds very logical especially since I am taking 450mg wellbutrin.  I will pick up some l-tyrosine on Monday.  I wish I could get some today, but the only store in town that would carry it is closed on Sunday's.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.