17 replies to this topic

#1 Loon-A-TiK

Loon-A-TiK

Is there no way out of the mind? - Sylvia Plath

• Pip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:56 PM

CAUTION- THIS IS TMI!!! my story

lately i've experienced a horrible problem with vaginal dryness. i thought it was just when i was having sex that i wasn't getting wet and the lubricant i did produce was thin, but i've noticed that i'm always dry. i really noticed it today when i put in a tampon and it hurt like hell. i had to use lube to put it in, and it still hurt like hell.

i thought about how i take meds and this problem has really started since i started taking Risperdal, which makes me lactate, and now new mothers have trouble wtih vaginal dryness. i thought that maybe, maybe my body's high prolactin is causing not only the lactation but the vaginal dryness too.

i bought some replense, some suppository stuff that i thought was only for menopausal women (but turns out to be for new mothers, people on meds, all kinds of people). i used it just now and my goddess, what a relief! i never realized how much pain i was in until i used this stuff, and the burning is gone. i don'tknow if it will improve my sex life at all, since the natural lubricant i make is still thin and my interest is scanty at best, but maybe it won't be painful anymore.

this is a whole new world. i was in such pain.

i also bought some "insteads". they're plastic things that look like rings with a concave part in the center, and they're an alternative form of feminine hygene. they don't absorb like tampons, they just catch. you put them up right against the cervix so they catch right there and you don't feel they're there. i picked these so they don't suck up the moisture.

thank you, thank you, thank you for replense and insteads! i feel like a new woman! now if only my natural lubricant and interest would come back, we'd be in business...still, i wouldn't trade risperdal for that.

have you experienced vaginal dryiness due to meds? how did you deal with it? any new ideas? i'm game!

loon

BTW- a quick google on it shows that risperdal does cause vaginal dryness- moderate to severe! ouch!

Edited by Loon-A-TiK, 02 October 2006 - 06:59 PM.

DX-BP1 w/psychotic symptoms, PTSD, ADD (Inattentive), and body dysmorphic disorder
Daily RX- WB 300mg, Lamictal 400mg, Abilify 20mg, Adderall XR 30mg, Inderal 10mgx2, Nuvaring
a multi-vitamin, hair/skin/nails vitamin, super 50-b complex vitamin, flax oil

prn- Zyprexa 10-20mg for emergencies

In memory of my dad, BP1 suicide. I love you and miss you!

EX RX- Seroquel, Risperdal, Geodon (master of all that is evil), Zyprexa (the good stuff), Zyprexa Zydis, Trazadon, Depakote, Lithium, Serzone, Paxil, Effexor, Lexapro, Haldol, Strattera, Topamax, Symmetrel, other old school ACs, and more I can't remember now

"Can a selfish egocentric jealous and unimaginative female write a damn thing worthwhile?" - Sylvia Plath

If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it at all.

#2 sepia

sepia

lost and lovely

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1528 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:58 PM

If you like the idea of non-absorbent menstrual protection but would prefer a reusable product, The Keeper (rubber) and the DivaCup (silicone) are both available from natural product stores across North America. Tampons are evil (and usually bleached and just not something I want inside my body). The various cups are far healthier alternatives, whatever one's reason for trying them.
If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. --Emily Dickinson

[link=http://xkcd.com/c150.html" target="_blank]we're all grown-ups here.[/link]

#3 Panz

Panz

The mad witch of Darby

• Pip
  • 937 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:16 PM

I don't know if my serious dryness is from my titties up thyroid, the fact that I'm like, 46 and perimenopausal or medicinally induced...but it is miserable as all hell. I've never heard of Replense, but as soon as my sweetie gets home, were going out and finding some hopefully.

I know how sucky it is to have painful dry sex, I often bleed afterwards...hope that this will help all of us. Loon, can't they give you some kind of counter hormone to treat the high prolactin problems...seems like they have a patch for every thing these days
Panz and her pack of rascals, ner' do wells and dreamers

My DX-of-the-month: complete nutter
MEDS : Changing a lot right now, don't know what i'll end up with yet. Abilify 10mg, Klonopin, 1mg 2xdaily, Neurontin ~ Lots and changing and a bunch more medical ones that I don't want to write down
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only thing better than being with the one you love, is being with the one you love dipped in dark chocolate =D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."

~ Anais Nin ~

[link=http://secretsistersbookofshadows.blogspot.com/" target="_blank]My new blog[/link]

#4 Libby

Libby

~!~

• Pip
  • 1605 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:06 PM

gosh, Panz, that's terrible... the bleeding after sex. Every drug store should have lubricants intended for sex. K-Y jelly has been around forever. It comes in a tube and should be by the condoms....there are other brands that work better, like astroglide or wet, but K-Y is the old-fashioned one thet every store should have.

You and your boyfriend need to pick some up at the drug store! No need to be suffering so! Just slather some on the boyfriend and on you too. Feel better, hon.

Edited by Libby, 02 October 2006 - 10:07 PM.

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes
because I know I'm not dumb...
and I also know that I'm not blonde.
~Dolly Parton

dx: severe, refractory double depression. GAD. OCD, paranoia, occasional psychosis.
Depersonalization and anxiety out the wazoo, no matter which meds I take.

current rx: Cymbalta 90mg as of 11/12, Trazodone 400mg as of 4/6/07. Clonazepam .5mg PRN.

Recent Titration: Seroquel 100mg>200mg>now 300mg>back to 200mg as of 11/10,
up to 300mg as of 11/29; up to 400 mg Seroquel as of 1/19/07.
Tapering down on Seroquel and adding Trazodone as of 3/26/07, much to my chagrin.
Now down to zero SQ, up to 400mg Traz. Can't sleep, but my girth is getting smaller.

And now: Stopped Traz. Added Navane. tripped off into some dissociation/psychosis shit. Off Navane. Back on 1,000mg Seroquel. Welcome to my nightmare.

previous rx: Tofranil, Desyrel, Pamelor, Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Wellbutrin,
Neurontin, Luvox, Serzone, Remeron, Effexor, Lexapro. Navane, Ativan, Inderal, Lithium.

#5 susanlynn

susanlynn

• Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:25 PM

I found a way to avoid the allergy meds cuz they dry me out. Ah, deep breathing.

#6 mitten

mitten

• Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:17 AM

definatly ranks amoung the really sucky side effects!! Birth control makes it worse if you have been on it for more than a few years. My gyno said that bc thins your uterus lining and decreases discharge. When you add that to meds that have dryness as a side effect, it just magnifies the effect and no amount of water drinking will turn the desert into a pond!! I am finally on a med combo that is working and I feel human so messing with those wasn't an option. The topamax/ birth control/pregnancy risk thing was driving me paranoid, plus the dryness was making me so miserable I wanted to scream. I knew I had to change something! Last week, I had the mirena iud put in and I notice a difference in the dryness already and it has only been 5 days! Of all the meds, bc was the only one that I could change. Now the pregnancy paranoia is gone, the wetness is coming back, the crazymeds are intact, I can get the iud out and get pregnant whenever I choose cos it isn't permenant, and it is one less pill in my body. This might not be right for you, but it was a life saver for me. Lookinto it Loon!!!

#7 Loon-A-TiK

Loon-A-TiK

Is there no way out of the mind? - Sylvia Plath

• Pip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:20 PM

mitten,
i'm wondering whether or not the implanon (a single capsule inserted in your arm) would also cause the dryness or if it would be dryness-free. it doesn't contain estrogen. my current pills do not contain estrogen. i don't know if estrogen is the problem, or if it is my meds, or all of the above. it is hard to single out a factor when there are so many of them! it isn't like i can just stop taking one.

i did try the iud, but i couldn't have it inserted because i felt like i was going to faint and throw up when they tried it. but i did try to let them do it (the copper one).

panz-
yeah! no way should you be bleeding! it is uncomfortable for me because of the dryness issue, but i use gallons of lube.
DX-BP1 w/psychotic symptoms, PTSD, ADD (Inattentive), and body dysmorphic disorder
Daily RX- WB 300mg, Lamictal 400mg, Abilify 20mg, Adderall XR 30mg, Inderal 10mgx2, Nuvaring
a multi-vitamin, hair/skin/nails vitamin, super 50-b complex vitamin, flax oil

prn- Zyprexa 10-20mg for emergencies

In memory of my dad, BP1 suicide. I love you and miss you!

EX RX- Seroquel, Risperdal, Geodon (master of all that is evil), Zyprexa (the good stuff), Zyprexa Zydis, Trazadon, Depakote, Lithium, Serzone, Paxil, Effexor, Lexapro, Haldol, Strattera, Topamax, Symmetrel, other old school ACs, and more I can't remember now

"Can a selfish egocentric jealous and unimaginative female write a damn thing worthwhile?" - Sylvia Plath

If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it at all.

#8 prettydrake

prettydrake

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:45 PM

oh jeez, this has been a major problem for me. I'm on Paxil, Lamictal, Seroquel, Abilify and Desiryl (for when I can't sleep). it's nuts. even with lube it's still hard.
i'm thinking of asking my pdoc to change me off of Paxil, because I think it's causing my lack of ability to have an orgasm. blecchy.

#9 starfish

starfish

• Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:44 AM

so risperdal causes dryness? that explains a lot.... but hey, i remember...

TMI
TMI
TMI
TMI

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

sometimes when i'm with myself i need a raincoat...but recently when i tried to be with my boyfriend i went dry and we couldn't because it was too painful, even oral was painful! what the hell was that for?
oh and yes, i have never had an orgasm by penetration... and they still wonder why i need antidepressants lol...

Don't you wonder sometimes about sound and vision?

DX : BP2,  recovered from MDD, SI in remission
RX : Zoloft, Oxcarbazepine, Risperdal, Lithium, Lamictal, Yasmin
ExRx : Haldol, Alprazolam, Prozac

Meds One Night Stands: Valproic Acid, Zyprexa, Sinogan (mepromazine) and Symbyax (olanzapine+fluoxetine) -they were all bitches to me so i never called them back LOL-

flag_mx.gif

#10 Duch

Duch

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:08 AM

Hi

Bummer problem. You might consider asking your doctor for a counter-medication. Two oestrogen creams are Estring (a small ring containing 17-beta oestrodial (the stronger group of oestrogens). It is conveniant, you change it every 90 days. Alternatively, Premarin cream is used internally and or externally It's a little less discrete, having a faint fragrance. Of the two, I prefer the first option, whereas my dog clearly favours the second. Lugging about a 75 lb dog who is constantly glommed onto one's leg is both exhausting and embardassing. You may not be ....er....dripping wet, but you can live comfortably, and sexual issues will either be erased or made much more managable (lubes)

This is the stuff, by the way, that's controversal because it's derived from the urine of pregnant mares. I got over my issues with it after contracting 2 back-to-back vaginal infections caused by dryness, after walking my dogs.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Duch, 27 March 2008 - 11:10 AM.

#11 Guest_toopretty_*

Guest_toopretty_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:19 PM

i have had 4 kids trust me it isnt exactly the rainforest dampness down there
then i had a hysterectomy now we are talking the sahara desert!
YEP i had to give in and buy some Replense
it helps but i can never tell if its a yeast infection or its just dry

no complaints in the sex department
im happy as can be
everything is 100% there.

im tired of using replense there has to be some pill or something!

Too Pretty in the cold north country

#12 fuchsia groan

fuchsia groan

• Pip
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

I'm going to have to look for some Replense. Can you get it at any old drugstore, or would I have to make a trip to the, um, toy store? Risperidone is drying me out horribly, and even good lube is just not cutting it - there's no way to get enough where it's needed.
dx: bipolar NOS, rapid cycling
rx: lamotrigine 300 mg, lithium 750 mg, Seroquel 150 mg, lorazepam PRN

There ain't no answer; there ain't gonna be no answer; there never was an answer; and that's the answer. --- Gertrude Stein

Hell goes round and round. In shape it is circular and by nature it is interminable, repetitive and very nearly unbearable. --- Flann O'Brien

He was a bad poet, but he was worse at magic. --- Kelly Link

#13 lottacrazy

lottacrazy

Here but not really

• Pip
  • 571 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:49 AM

The IUD is the greatest thing ever invented (MIRENA) I was on the pill then the patch, after I wa preggers I decided on the IUD, it is great! Sex was painful for me half the time, I had to smoke a doobie in order to do it (no joke!) The IUD has made it a lot easier, here isnt dryness at all.

I would recommend getting a lighter absorbency tampon as well, they have JR lights out there which worked for me back then. I haven had aunt flo visit for years but when she did I had to use the JRs, anything else made be hurt and burn too, also pure cotton ones are better than the Tampax regualr version, you can find cotton ones on Drugstore.com

I use the KY spray, which helps get it where you wanted it with out needing a mirror and a flash light ;) .

I think the dryness may have at least a little to do with the pill, I had alot of the same issues as you with the pills and patches, but it would get so bad I would buckle over in pain, the IUD has made me normal again. The Miren is better than the copper one because they use a strw like thing, and they dont open it until it is all the way in, it feels like a normal gyne check up, also I think they said that doing it around your time of the month makes it easier because the cervix dialates a little.
DX: BP1, OCD, PTSD Possible ADD

Present RX: Paxil 15mg, Depakote 750mg, Ativan .5mg
Past RX: Paxil, Zoloft, Serzone, Depakote, Respirdol, Adivan

#14 lottacrazy

lottacrazy

Here but not really

• Pip
  • 571 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:02 AM

Mirena has worked for me...I think, I have always been a little loopy, birth control or not. THe copper IUD is great because it lasts longer, and copper is actually toxic to sperm, there is no hormones used because of this.

I wouldnt know about hormones and periods, I never really had normal periods, they where always extremely light or non existent.

You should always talk to all of your doctors (gyne and pdoc) before using any meds, even over the counter, you dont know what you may get your self in to.
DX: BP1, OCD, PTSD Possible ADD

Present RX: Paxil 15mg, Depakote 750mg, Ativan .5mg
Past RX: Paxil, Zoloft, Serzone, Depakote, Respirdol, Adivan

#15 scatty

scatty

The only way out is through.

• Pip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

I've been having trouble getting wet the past few times I've had sex. I just tell dh I'm a virgin. He seems to like that I am tight as hell! I confess, so do I!

Dx:
Bipolar I & Anxiety.  Self diagnosed cunt.

My New (old) Meds: (previously these kept me the most stable)
Lithium ER 1350 mgs.
Lamictal 200 mgs.

Klonopin 2 mgs.

Practicing CBT, DBT, and ACT self-help therapy.

Crazy since the 80's!

#16 fuchsia groan

fuchsia groan

• Pip
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:25 PM

Also I have to caution any woman with MI related to hormones to be careful with the Mirena. It's very low dose and is fine for most women MI or not, but it can have psychiatric side effects. Those of us prone to problems during pregnancy and post-partum should be careful with any hormone-based contraception. Most likely if you've been on the pill and it's been fine, you don't have to worry too much. But I wanted to throw that in there. I'm getting a copper IUD placed, which is non-hormonal, but can cause heavier, more painful periods.

My pdoc told me to stay the hell away from hormonal birth control. Fine with me! I have a copper IUD, and I love it. Good luck with yours, Susan! Not everyone gets heavy/painful periods on it - mine are still pretty average.
dx: bipolar NOS, rapid cycling
rx: lamotrigine 300 mg, lithium 750 mg, Seroquel 150 mg, lorazepam PRN

There ain't no answer; there ain't gonna be no answer; there never was an answer; and that's the answer. --- Gertrude Stein

Hell goes round and round. In shape it is circular and by nature it is interminable, repetitive and very nearly unbearable. --- Flann O'Brien

He was a bad poet, but he was worse at magic. --- Kelly Link

#17 tenthdoctor

tenthdoctor

i don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, i'm a loony for god's sake!

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:39 PM

I just feel about as dry as I did before but now I'm NUMB too. Gah. The spirit's willing.... ;)
"Name?"
"The Doctor."
"I said name, not rank."
"The Doctor."
"Surname."
"The Doctor. Just the Doctor."
"You're called 'the Doctor.'"
"Yes I am."
"That's not a name, that's a psychological condition."

------------------------------------------

"In the year 3000, YouTube, Twitter and Facebook will merge into one super-time-wasting site called YouTwitFace."
-Conan O'Brien

------------------------------------------
Dx: OCD, PTSD with dissociative features, dysthymia, congenital hypothyroidism, dermatillomania, mild trichitillomania
Rx: 125 mcg levothyroxine, 25 mcg liothyronine, 150 mg sertraline, 1200 mg N-acetyl-l-cysteine

#18 The Emperor

The Emperor

Is there a hole for me to get sick in?

• Pip
  • 3728 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:25 AM

I recommend Wet Platinum or any silicone-based lube. The silicone doesn't dry out and you can use as much as you need.

I don't know if you can find it in most retail stores unless it's a sex shop, so if you're not in the mood for dildo shopping, you can order it online:

[link=http://www.cheaplubes.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=412" target="_blank]http://www.cheaplubes.com/index.asp?PageAc...&ProdID=412[/link]

Also I have to caution any woman with MI related to hormones to be careful with the Mirena. It's very low dose and is fine for most women MI or not, but it can have psychiatric side effects. Those of us prone to problems during pregnancy and post-partum should be careful with any hormone-based contraception. Most likely if you've been on the pill and it's been fine, you don't have to worry too much. But I wanted to throw that in there. I'm getting a copper IUD placed, which is non-hormonal, but can cause heavier, more painful periods.

Take care!

Sorry, I also wanted to add that hormonal birth control made me a freaking insane monster and I have had my Paragaurd for about eight months and love it. My periods actually are not heavier and more painful. The last one I had was only three days! But the first one actually was pretty weird, and long. Sorry this is off topic, I am just ALL ABOUT the copper IUD and also against hormonal birth control for women with MI. I suffered that crap myself, stupid depo shot.

What the docs wrote down about my Crazy: Bipolar II, Some anxiety issue
The pills they give me to fix this shit: Lamictal 175mg, clonazepam 1mg , Trileptal 600mg
Pills that did NOT fix this shit: Sertraline, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta(twice), Zolpidem, Bupropion XL, Pristiq, Fluoxetine, Vistaril, Lexapro, Celexa, Trazodone, Geodon

Pills that worked well enough but side effects were total shit so I stopped: Abilify, Lithium, valium

sun moon stars rain

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.