Diazepam and grapefruit juice

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 merlin fluff

merlin fluff

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:42 PM

Well, finally went to my doctor and got prescribed 3 x 5mg of diezepam a day PRN to try and get relief from these hideous panic attacks.

The bottle says to avoid grapefruit juice. Why? I've tried to google it but got confused with the technical language ;)

I have a large box of grapefruit here I want to eat. Am I going to die?? lol.

Elly
  • Diagnonsense: Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia, Major Depression, PTSD
  • Past Diagnonsense: Anorexia Nervosa, OCD, some form of psychosis (possibly due to sleep deprivation), Bipolar II, borderline personality disorder, some form of dissociative disorder, insomnia, social anxiety disorder, general fucked up ness.
  • Crazy Pills: Cipramil, Diazepam PRN, Klonopin PRN
  • Past Pills:are you ready for it... Buspirone, Chlorpromazine, Amitriptyline, Imipramine, Clomipramine, Fluoxetine, Paroxetine, Venlafaxine, Phenelzine, Moclobemide, Mirtazapine, Carbamazepine, Lorazepam, Temazepam, Propranolol, Sodium Valproate, Zopiclone.. i think that's it. Can't remember!!

#2 Maddy

Maddy

Shadow of nothing

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3970 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:52 PM

it increases the sedative effect of valium.
which may be dangerous, because it could potentially decrease your breathing.
(sorry, already taken nitey meds and trying ot translate medspeak to english)

<edited to add>

here is a link to find more info on grapefruit + interactions:

http://www.fhma.com/grapefruit.htm

I <3 my meds!
DX: undifferentiated schizophrenia
RX: Fanapt, Topamax, Ativan, Celexa

Past RX: Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, Remeron, Strattera, Trazodone, Lamictal, Neurontin, Depakote, Lithium, Vistaril, Buspar, Clonidine, Tegretol, Gabitril, Keppra, Depakene, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Haldol, Abilify, Saphris, Adderall, Valium, Primidone. I know there are others I've forgotten over the years.
Boards I mod: Schizophrenia & Various Psychoses, Hormone & Glandular Problems, any others as needed.

#3 chimpmaster

chimpmaster

Hairpants for hairpants :)

• Inmate
  • 1265 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:11 AM

The interaction, if any, is likely to be minor. I wouldnt worry about it. Just dont take the drug with your grapefruit juice - have them at different times of the the day.

Dx : Schizophrenia, paranoid type with panic attacks. Obsessive Compulsive Personality Trait, epilepsy

Rx : 300mg Clozapine, 1500mg Keppera, 60mg Prozac, 160mg Zeldox, 4mg Reboxetine, 3 oxazepam morning and lunch, 3 in the evening
Ex Rx: Luvox, Paxil, Risperdel, Xanax, Seroquel, Abilify, Zyprexa, Tolvon, Mirtazapine, diazepam.

#4 chimpmaster

chimpmaster

Hairpants for hairpants :)

• Inmate
  • 1265 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:23 PM

The interaction, if any, is likely to be minor. I wouldnt worry about it. Just dont take the drug with your grapefruit juice - have them at different times of the the day.

I ws just rereading my response. Additionally, dont drink grapfruit juice like its going out of style - moderation at times when you dont take your tablets should be fine.

Dx : Schizophrenia, paranoid type with panic attacks. Obsessive Compulsive Personality Trait, epilepsy

Rx : 300mg Clozapine, 1500mg Keppera, 60mg Prozac, 160mg Zeldox, 4mg Reboxetine, 3 oxazepam morning and lunch, 3 in the evening
Ex Rx: Luvox, Paxil, Risperdel, Xanax, Seroquel, Abilify, Zyprexa, Tolvon, Mirtazapine, diazepam.

#5 Guest_John_*

Guest_John_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:56 AM

<edited to add>

I ws just rereading my response. Additionally, dont drink grapfruit juice like its going out of style - moderation at times when you dont take your tablets should be fine.

#6 ChemistryExperiment

ChemistryExperiment

Carbon Based Chemical

• Pip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:39 AM

<edited to add>

But I heard it IS going out of style! ;)

Life isn't about finding yourself

its about CREATING yourself

----------------------------------------------------------

if you're crazy and you know it clap your hands!

*clap*

*clap*

#7 zan2

zan2

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

Diazipam and drinking grapefruit will increase the effects of diazipam and xanax up to 2 to 3.5 increase effect. It also has an effect on many other drugs. I've taken 10 5mg valium and drank grapefruit juice and it has an increase of the effect on me.Don't drink alot of the juice if you take many valiums,it could be dangerous. Or xanax also. I can feel the stronger effects of the mixture,just be careful and don't drink roo much juice. :D :cool2:Look it up in wikipeda.

Edited by zan2, 12 July 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#8 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 20804 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

Well, finally went to my doctor and got prescribed 3 x 5mg of diezepam a day PRN to try and get relief from these hideous panic attacks.

The bottle says to avoid grapefruit juice. Why? I've tried to google it but got confused with the technical language Posted Image

I have a large box of grapefruit here I want to eat. Am I going to die?? lol.

Elly

Eating/Drinking grapefruit juice with certain meds causes that med to stay in your system longer so you can become toxic on it.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I'm still kind of mad they never actually told us how to get to Sesame Street."

#9 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 9126 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

Moderate consumption of grapefruit is not the danger you are making it out to be, Melissaw. You have had this discussion with Olga and me before.

I am on medications with grapefruit warnings, and my gdoc, pdoc, and neuro have *all* said it is okay to have the occasional grapefruit half, or glass of juice. My mother is on medications with the grapefruit warning, and that is what her gdoc has said as well.

I take 2-3mg of Xanax a day, and I drink grapefruit juice once a month or so, and it doesn't increase its potency in my case.

And if you remember, Olga's Dr. told her she could even have it more than just occasionally.

Do not binge on grapefruit. But you don't have to totally abstain. As with everything, YMMV, discuss it with your doctor, etc.

I can't find the post, but someone has a bottle of grapefruit juice? I would pour myself a glass, and then dump the rest of it, unless you want to freeze it for future use. It sucks, but that's meds for you.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#10 CrankyMe

CrankyMe

Salty

• Pip
  • 987 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Every time I read the warning on my Xanax bottle (or see this thread pop up) I crave grapefruit juice like nobody's business. Never think about it at any other time.

Don't you do that sometimes? Play turtle turtle? With your T-shirt?" - Guinea Pig

#11 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 20804 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

Moderate consumption of grapefruit is not the danger you are making it out to be, Melissaw. You have had this discussion with Olga and me before.

I am on medications with grapefruit warnings, and my gdoc, pdoc, and neuro have *all* said it is okay to have the occasional grapefruit half, or glass of juice. My mother is on medications with the grapefruit warning, and that is what her gdoc has said as well.

I take 2-3mg of Xanax a day, and I drink grapefruit juice once a month or so, and it doesn't increase its potency in my case.

And if you remember, Olga's Dr. told her she could even have it more than just occasionally.

Do not binge on grapefruit. But you don't have to totally abstain. As with everything, YMMV, discuss it with your doctor, etc.

I can't find the post, but someone has a bottle of grapefruit juice? I would pour myself a glass, and then dump the rest of it, unless you want to freeze it for future use. It sucks, but that's meds for you.

True, but I said "certain meds", and just gave a general answer here as to why the label was put on the med bottle. It is a POTENTIAL side effect; I know it doesn't happen with all meds. I just figured the OP wanted to know WHY or WHAT a potential side effect COULD occur. Otherwise why would the pharmacy put the label on the med bottle?

Edited by melissaw72, 14 July 2012 - 05:21 PM.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I'm still kind of mad they never actually told us how to get to Sesame Street."

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.