• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Loon-A-TiK

Loon-A-TiK

Is there no way out of the mind? - Sylvia Plath

• Pip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:11 PM

The only thing recent change in my medications has been the addition of adderall xr, and since about a week or so after i started taking it, i started losing much more hair than usual in the shower and when i brush my hair. i also started taking ginkgo, however all my research on that shows that it is used to actually stimulate hair growth and not make you lose hair.

i looked on the PI sheet to see if hair loss was even listed as a side effect, and it wasn't. i googled it and got a couple hits on it as a rare side effect, but that was about it.

have any of you lost hair on adderall, or know of someone who has? is this in my imagination or something? how long before my hair vitamin kicks in and makes the hair loss stop? ;)

loon
DX-BP1 w/psychotic symptoms, PTSD, ADD (Inattentive), and body dysmorphic disorder
Daily RX- WB 300mg, Lamictal 400mg, Abilify 20mg, Adderall XR 30mg, Inderal 10mgx2, Nuvaring
a multi-vitamin, hair/skin/nails vitamin, super 50-b complex vitamin, flax oil

prn- Zyprexa 10-20mg for emergencies

In memory of my dad, BP1 suicide. I love you and miss you!

EX RX- Seroquel, Risperdal, Geodon (master of all that is evil), Zyprexa (the good stuff), Zyprexa Zydis, Trazadon, Depakote, Lithium, Serzone, Paxil, Effexor, Lexapro, Haldol, Strattera, Topamax, Symmetrel, other old school ACs, and more I can't remember now

"Can a selfish egocentric jealous and unimaginative female write a damn thing worthwhile?" - Sylvia Plath

If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it at all.

#2 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13116 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:33 PM

It's an apatite suppressant. Make sure you're still eating right.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#3 Loon-A-TiK

Loon-A-TiK

• Pip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:02 PM

i'm vegan, so eating right is always an issue. i'm trying to eat as much as i can, and i'm dropping weight. i've already lost 5lbs, and it isn't like i need to lose weight. so it very well could be the food issue. it could just be coincidental timing and the food issue- i haven't been eating right or enough since i started on ssdi.
DX-BP1 w/psychotic symptoms, PTSD, ADD (Inattentive), and body dysmorphic disorder
Daily RX- WB 300mg, Lamictal 400mg, Abilify 20mg, Adderall XR 30mg, Inderal 10mgx2, Nuvaring

EX RX- Seroquel, Risperdal, Geodon (master of all that is evil), Zyprexa (the good stuff), Zyprexa Zydis, Trazadon, Depakote, Lithium, Serzone, Paxil, Effexor, Lexapro, Haldol, Strattera, Topamax, Symmetrel, other old school ACs, and more I can't remember now

"Can a selfish egocentric jealous and unimaginative female write a damn thing worthwhile?" - Sylvia Plath

#4 Loon-A-TiK

Loon-A-TiK

• Pip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:16 PM

tomorrow i'm going to the doctor for a full blood workup to see if it is hormonal or nutritional. hopefully we'll get some answers.

in the meantime, my research is showing that i can actually take the combined pill, but just need a higher dose of lamictal (i wish they'd make up their minds about this!). every study seems to be different on whether or not there is an increased risk of pregnancy in women who take lamictal and the bc pill.

#5 Guest_Guest_Jonathan_*_*

Guest_Guest_Jonathan_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:23 AM

tomorrow i'm going to the doctor for a full blood workup to see if it is hormonal or nutritional. hopefully we'll get some answers.

in the meantime, my research is showing that i can actually take the combined pill, but just need a higher dose of lamictal (i wish they'd make up their minds about this!). every study seems to be different on whether or not there is an increased risk of pregnancy in women who take lamictal and the bc pill.

There is no history of hair loss in my family but here i am at 25 loosing hair in the crown area and Im beginning to suspect adderall. I never had an issue with hair loss until about three years, around the same time I began adderall. I'm just wondering if you found anything related to hair loss and adderall. A cursory google search doesn't really turn up anything definitive on loosing your hair while on adderall... Just wondering what your blood work might have said. thansk much -jon@smurfsex.net

#6 Guest_Chachii_*

Guest_Chachii_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:24 PM

I too am on Adderall XR 30mg, since July of 2006, I was losing hair normally or so I thought, it seems until I switched to the 30mg dose. My hair falls out like mad, it has thinned out so much through the front at the top of my forehead. I even called Shire and they have no idea why that would be happening.

I too went to the doctor and am waiting for blood work results...I thought it might be something called Tellogen Effulvium, rapid hair loss brought on by stress to your body, Google it, but it just seems so coincidental that I've never had hair issues until I got on Adderall. Is there a similar medication I can switch to because it really does work for me?

Chachii

#7 Loon-A-TiK

Loon-A-TiK

• Pip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:39 PM

adderall really works for me too, and as far as what my pdoc has said, he'd put me on concerta next, but that has a known side effect of hair loss.

i haven't gotten my blood work back yet, but i think it's the adderall and i'll probably ask my pdoc to stop it. as much as i love adderall, it was too coincidental that as soon as i started taking it i started losing too much hair.

now, my gyn said it could be stress on my body, especially my liver, caused by too much medication in my system demanding too many different things of my liver. so she wanted me to switch contraceptions from the pill (processed in the liver) to the ring (doesn't go through the liver), and ask my pdoc about getting off of risperdal, which messes with lactation. i got off of risperdal and the med i took to surpress lactation, the symmetrel, and take abilify now. so there are 2 less meds i take that go through my liver.

i don't know if i'm losing less hair. if i don't stop losing hair here soon and my blood work doesn't yield any answers, i'm going to stop adderall. as much as i love it, i love my hair more. i have such nice, thick hair, and i'm not going to lose it.

my uncle is a pharmacist and he said that hair loss isn't even a rare side effect for adderall so it can't be that, but it is just too coincidental. maybe my gyn is right and it is stress on my body/liver.

i think i'll know soon enough. when i know what it is for me, i'll let you know.

i just did a google on Telogen Effluvium, and they suggest doing a pull test to see if you have it- pick several spots on your scalp, and take an area with about 25-30 hairs, and do a sharp tug. you should get 2-3. if you get more like 5, then you could have it. look at the end. it should have a waxy shaft. if it doesn't, then it could be TE.

i just did a pull test on my hair and it doesn't look like TE.

that might be what she was talking about. i have another appointment with her on the 23rd. she ran a test on my prolactin (i was taking risperdal) and on my thyroid.

i asked on yahoo answers about adderall and hair loss, and a doctor said that none of his patients, including his son, have experienced hair loss due to adderall.

i was looking and it could be a hormonal imbalance as well, maybe because i was taking micronor (birth control that took away my periods) and risperdal (too much prolactin). i have no idea. i just want my hair to stop falling out!

Edited by Loon-A-TiK, 15 January 2007 - 10:32 PM.

#8 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13116 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:52 AM

The active compounds in adderal have been in use and studied for something like 50 years. If it's the adderal that's causing hair loss, it seems like it would have to be a coloring or another inactive ingredient that is to blame. Since it's available in both brand and generic formulations, you might want to try both.

If your ADD is as bad as you say and it works, what's wrong with a wig? When it comes to stimulants, variations on amphetimine and methylphenidate are all there is. You just tossed half your options out the window on a hunch.

Hormonal imbalance seems pretty obvious.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

#9 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

• Admin
  • 13116 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:05 AM

I thought it was in this thread where I posted the link but I guess not. You have a few on this subject. Hair loss is common side effect of discontinuing many birth control pills regardless of if it's to stop taking them or to change the kind your are taking. It can take 6-8 months for your hair to get back to normal.

#10 Loon-A-TiK

Loon-A-TiK

• Pip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:11 PM

ve-
my gyn took me off of micronor (progestin only) and put me on nuvaring (combined) because she felt that an estrogen/progesterone imbalance could be at work. she also thought that the high prolactin levels from risperdal could have something to do with it, so asked me to ask my pdoc to discontinue risp. both of these were in response to losing my hair, not prior to losing my hair.

she said that either my liver is overreacting, or there is an imbalance with the progesterone/estrogen/prolactin axis in my body. that would be corrected with different bc and the discontinuation of risp.

she thinks it is coincidence that losing my hair happened about two weeks after i started adderall.

it may also be that TE, and if it is that, then the event causing the hair loss happened months ago and i have no control over what happened months ago. it could have been when i began micronor, as beginning bc also screws with your hair. i'd have to see a derm to figure out what kind of hair loss i have and speculate on why and what, if anything, we can do about it.

i've read that TE isn't so bad, it usually stops, and doesn't usually lead to noticeable hair loss.

i want to be able to drive, but i want my hair too.

i found a good article on pub med about a study with women having hair loss due to a progesterone/prolactin imbalance.

i hope they're right and this is hormonal, so i don't have to stop a med that really helps me (and makes everyone safer on the road) ;)

Edited by Loon-A-TiK, 17 January 2007 - 09:14 PM.

#11 Guest_bogmishphere_*

Guest_bogmishphere_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:06 PM

i am 100% certain adderral xr is the reason for my hair loss since it started almost immediately after i started taking it - about 2 weeks. not only that i have lost 30#s and i am yellow! i am normally caucasion. its not funny. i saw my uncle die of liver failure and his corpse was yellow. i have seen animals die of jaundice-liver failure-yellow skin. its scarry to know that all this research done in vein on animals has done absolutely nothing to prove the reliability of drugs they supposedly pretest on. yet they kill millions of animals a day in labs, when in actuality we are the guinea pigs. dont get me wrong, i don't think innocent people like us should be guinea pigs, but i also dont think innocent animals should be either. its been proven time and time again that science can replicate these outcomes via computers. and really, if they can't wouldn't you rather have known these results sooner via a human guinea pig. i would. unfortunately we all are. despite what your doc and pharmacisit tell you. their statistics dont mean jack. you should see me. my hair looks like a balding 50 y.o old man, and my skin looks like i was soaked in curry. i have been on it for only4 months. i have also lost about 25 pounds. given the only plus of my ability to focus. i am only getting about 3 hours a sleep at night at best. i need at least eight.

not mellow-yellow

#12 LunaRufina

LunaRufina

Creating and embracing drama since 2004.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4377 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:14 PM

i am 100% certain adderral xr is the reason for my hair loss since it started almost immediately after i started taking it - about 2 weeks. not only that i have lost 30#s and i am yellow! i am normally caucasion. its not funny. i saw my uncle die of liver failure and his corpse was yellow. i have seen animals die of jaundice-liver failure-yellow skin. its scarry to know that all this research done in vein on animals has done absolutely nothing to prove the reliability of drugs they supposedly pretest on. yet they kill millions of animals a day in labs, when in actuality we are the guinea pigs. dont get me wrong, i don't think innocent people like us should be guinea pigs, but i also dont think innocent animals should be either. its been proven time and time again that science can replicate these outcomes via computers. and really, if they can't wouldn't you rather have known these results sooner via a human guinea pig. i would. unfortunately we all are. despite what your doc and pharmacisit tell you. their statistics dont mean jack. you should see me. my hair looks like a balding 50 y.o old man, and my skin looks like i was soaked in curry. i have been on it for only4 months. i have also lost about 25 pounds. given the only plus of my ability to focus. i am only getting about 3 hours a sleep at night at best. i need at least eight.

not mellow-yellow

Dude, if it's that bad, why are you still taking that particular med?

"...what you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.”

― Kent M. Keith, The Silent Revolution: Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council"

Midway

#13 Ophelia

Ophelia

I bitch, therefore I am...

• Pip
  • 3287 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:32 PM

not mellow-yellow

I second Luna - why are you still taking this if it has given you this much trouble? If you are positive that all of these side effects are from this med and not some other confounding variable (bc then you would want to change that), you can go to your doctor and tell him that the side effects are too much to handle. Not to mention, if your skin really is jaundice as you said, you shouldnt just be ignoring it but going to a regular doc as well to get some tests. Then you can go to your pdoc and discuss a possible med change. some meds are not for everyone. what works for one person might not work for the next. that is how it goes.

good luck

"Instant gratification takes too long." ~Carrie Fisher

"You're wrong! I do have feelings. I'm an actress! I have all of them." ~Elise Elliot (Goldie Hawn), 'The First Wives Club'

"The defects and faults of the mind are like wounds in the body. After all imaginable care has been taken to heal them up, still there will be a scar left behind." ~Francois de la Rochefoucauld

"It has been said that time heals all wounds. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens, but it is never gone." ~Rose Kennedy

#14 Silver

Silver

Adopt, adapt, improve.

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:02 PM

Adderall is a C-II drug
That means it requires a visit every 30d for a refill.
Therefore someone is, in theory, seeing you every 30 days, unless they are crosswise with the DEA.

If you are this concerned, it is your responsibility as a human (not a guinea pig with thumbs) to
1) tell your prescriber that you believe it is causing liver problems, and call his or her attention to your apparently jaundiced skin and sclera and your dramatic weight loss
and
2) get your self in to your GP. Or the ER. You would be wanting a CMP/LFTs drawn. Liver failure is pretty easy to diagnose.

Bada bing, bada boom.

Anyone who's lost that much weight that fast, I'd expect some hair loss.

Hair loss from drugs or environmental stressors usually takes 2 months minimum to show up.
Bipolar I, other stuff

"Science adjusts its beliefs based on what�s observed
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved."
--Tim Minchin

#15 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:49 PM

you should see me. my hair looks like a balding 50 y.o old man, and my skin looks like i was soaked in curry.

If you really are experiencing jaundice and hair loss, you damn well need to see a doctor instead of ranting online about being a human guinea pig on speed. Liver damage and hepatitis are NOT things to screw around with.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#16 fluffybirdie

fluffybirdie

• Pip
  • 444 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:05 PM

I would be way more concerned abut being yellow than the hair issue, yikes!
In my own experience, I starting losing hair afer about 6 months on Lamictal, and it's not really come back. Since I'm a chick, extensions will be my gift from Santa.
But please get your liver patched up. No med is worth that!
Best of luck

#17 Guest_ilana615_*

Guest_ilana615_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:43 PM

i didn't lose any of my hair, but it changed A LOT. Im REALLY young, so it wasn't a natural thing at all. The color got lighter and the texture of it turned from REALLY wavy to straight and flat. And the thickness changed. it went from thick and shiny to thin and almost wispy. The color itself went from black-brown to reddish-hazel. i looked online too and apparently its becoming more and more common...the only problem is i need the adderall for school...otherwise i get crap grades.

#18 Guest_Travis_*

Guest_Travis_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:37 AM

Amphetamine may cause hair loss via two mechanisms: 1) By decreasing blood flow to scalp, 2) By increasing serum testosterone levels, which in turn raises levels of DHT.

I started taking Adderall in 2006, and I can state with 100% certainty that it makes my hair fall out. If I stop taking it for even 2 weeks the loss is reversed, and I can see the re-growth. I have stopped-started the therapy many times, and it always yields the same result: Hair doesn't grow/falls out while taking, and grows like crazy when not taking.

The hair loss is a nuisance, but amphetamine is far more insidious. Do you ever find yourself hardly breathing? I urge you to give this conscious thought, otherwise you will not realize it is happening. This is your body's way of down-regulating blood pressure, which was increased by the amphetamine. Long story short, if you don't correct the breathing problem, you develop respiratory acidosis, which leads to right side heart failure.

#19 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

The hair loss is a nuisance, but amphetamine is far more insidious. Do you ever find yourself hardly breathing? I urge you to give this conscious thought, otherwise you will not realize it is happening. This is your body's way of down-regulating blood pressure,
which was increased by the amphetamine.

Actually, not breathing tends to lead to high blood pressure, as anyone dealing with apnea can tell you.

Even if your theory were valid, there's still the minor issue that stimulants are generally not prescribed for ADHD at a high enough dose to raise blood bressure more than a few mmHg. Unless you have severe circulatory problems, a heated argument or light exercise will raise your blood pressure more - and your body will NOT try to compensate by not breathing.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#20 Guest_josh_*

Guest_josh_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:28 AM

The hair loss is a nuisance, but amphetamine is far more insidious. Do you ever find yourself hardly breathing? I urge you to give this conscious thought, otherwise you will not realize it is happening. This is your body's way of down-regulating blood pressure,
which was increased by the amphetamine.

Actually, not breathing tends to lead to high blood pressure, as anyone dealing with apnea can tell you.

Even if your theory were valid, there's still the minor issue that stimulants are generally not prescribed for ADHD at a high enough dose to raise blood bressure more than a few mmHg. Unless you have severe circulatory problems, a heated argument or light exercise will raise your blood pressure more - and your body will NOT try to compensate by not breathing.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.