Photo

Can't fall asleep, or can't stay asleep?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HaloGirl66

HaloGirl66

Wannabe Timelord

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 967 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:43 AM

Archieved from the old board - So what is your issue can you not fall asleep or can you not stay asleep?

Posted by: HaloGirl66 Posted on: Dec 31st, 2004, 9:09am
what is your sleep issue? do you have trouble falling asleep or can you not stay sleeping? Personally I have both, bastard-ass sandman. I can't fall asleep cause my brain won't shut off, and then I toss and turn and wake up about once an hour. Lets just say my quality of sleep is poor. My tossing and turning has driven my hubby from sleeping in the bed with me.

which is your sleep issue? 
Posted by: Kassiane Posted on: Dec 31st, 2004, 2:49pm
Hehe.

I dont think theres a sleep issue I HAVENT had at some point.

I have a lot of trouble getting to sleep unless I wait till Im totally exhausted. Then I wake up at every little noise. Or do strange things...or have bad dreams...or not be able to get up in the morning...

Im a piss-poor sleeper =/

Kassiane 
Posted by: lilyrose Posted on: Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:41am
I have meds to make me sleep, but lately, I don't WANT to sleep. I like staying up all night, then catching a few hours of sleep later in the am.  I love being up all night, when most of the rest of the world is sleeping. And, no, I'm not hypomanic, not yet anyway. LOL  Even when I'm tired, I fight it and won't give in to sleeping.  I know it's not good for me, but sleeping seems like such a waste of time.

lilyrose 
Posted by: lp Posted on: Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:48pm
One, the other, both... or hypersomnia!  Ooh, an assortment!    Falling asleep tends to be the most persistent propblem.  Unless I am really freaking exhausted (like, nodding off sitting up, or beginning to thread lines of dream dialogue through my typing), I have an awful time getting into bed and going to sleep unless I feel awful and don't want to live.  It's very rare for me to want to go to bed sooner, though I do try to MAKE myself.  Too-many-thoughts insomnia, or waking during the night, or whatever else will pop up on occasion, sometimes for weeks, but in general I just do not want to go to bed.  This was me at the age of six, and this is me now.  I have the impression my life would be somehow better if I could alter this tendency. 
Posted by: SF_Marcello Posted on: Jan 4th, 2005, 12:05am
I'm on my fourth bout of insomnia, probably related to PTSD & anxiety.
I had back surgery this summer, and on November 15th, the Docs said that the surgery wasn't successful, and I'd just have to live with the pain.  I cryed so hard that night that it set off "army flashback nightmares" that haunt me to this day.
Since then, I usually lay awake until about 3a, and wake about 5:30am.
I've tried Remeron, Trilafon, Celexa, Ambien, Klonopin & Trazadone.
Either I have a paradoxical reaction (it wires me instead of puts me to sleep), or it just drugs me out so much I can't even stand the next day (Trilafon).
Going to try Gabitril tonight.
Started an Intensive Outpatient Program today for patients at risk of suicide.  Not sleeping for almost two months has drained me of all strength & makes me fear that from now on my existence will consist only of pain & insomnia.
Trying to meditate when I lay in bed & went to a bunch of acupuncture appointments.  The only thing that's come of the acupuncture is having to drink some REALLY foul tasting herbs.
It's like the Edgar Allen Poe poem "Telltale Heart," I'm so dead tired I can't get out of bed, but my heart just keeps pounding so hard, I want to carve it out and throw it against the wall.
And the nightmares. . . . SF is under nuclear attack, I go down a hundred floors of staircases and end up. . . in the gymnasium in Russia where the schoolkids were held hostage by terrorists (this is where I wake up covered in sweat with my heart pounding).
Really getting discouraged about getting a handle on this.  Except for not throwing up (which I did for the first 10 days), I haven't made any progress on sleeping better.
I realize now sleep is what I really value most in life, and that I thought things were bad with the back pain, but manageable (able to go to work, take care of myself, sleep, find some pleasure in life).
Peace to everyone on crazymeds.us. 
Posted by: Maddy Posted on: Jan 4th, 2005, 6:05am
I've been awake since 7:25am Sunday morning.  I've doddled a bit mostly Sunday.  A couple of 15-20 min. naps is not enough.  I think my body is tired but the brain won't go to sleep.

I've always had a problem getting to sleep.  My mom said that when I was little I would wander all night in the dark.  Naps were unknown.  "Wherever she drops, there shall she nap!" 
Posted by: HaloGirl66 Posted on: Jan 4th, 2005, 8:11am
It takes me forever just to fall asleep. the brain just won't shut off. 
then I keep waking up. to bed at 11. wake up at 1. wake up at 3. wake up at 4. wake up at 5. get out of bed at 6. 
thanks so much ambien for my 7-8 hours of restful sleep 
Posted by: miche Posted on: Jan 8th, 2005, 6:36am
wide awake and dead tired....

i have crazy sleeping habits...or problems...

but the wierdest is that i can't get to sleep unless i'm rubbing my feet against the bed or covers, i can't remember how or when this started it was taht long ago, i don't even notice that i do it anymore, i could be doing it for a half hour before i even notice now...

hey, give it a try 
Posted by: HaloGirl66 Posted on: Jan 8th, 2005, 9:52am
at this point I'll try anything 
Posted by: anafagodma Posted on: Jan 8th, 2005, 6:57pm
Sometimes my earth just slows down it's rotation around the sun and I sleep 6 nights a week. That's functional. 

Sometimes I spend weeks staying awake for 50-80 hours at a time, sleeping a night (or day) and starting again. That doesn't work so well, because I start to hallucinate on the third day. 

Sometimes I sleep for 3 days straight. I will get up to pee once and, if I think of it, to get a drink. 

My ex-ex-ex shrink said, "I think you may have a legitimate sleeping disorder totally unrelated to your other issues." 

You Think? 
Posted by: febrezeaddict Posted on: Jan 8th, 2005, 9:39pm
I have trouble falling asleep, and once i fall asleep i cant stay asleep, then i just get mad and get up and do stuff, unless i'm manic and then i just dont go to sleep at all and will randomly pass out for an hour a day and then i get up and am just as wired... either that or i fall asleep and have such disturbing nightmares that i wake up, or i wander around different places... i've made coffee in my sleep before.. well... attempted to.   
Posted by: Ophelia Posted on: Jan 8th, 2005, 9:44pm
My problem is definately falling asleep.  On the rare occasion that I actually get to sleep, I only sometimes  have trouble staying asleep.  One other problem is that I have trouble waking up.  I just wont do it.  Sometimes when I am in bed, I think to myself that I can just stay there and hide with nobady noticing I was gone.  That way, I wouldnt have to live my life... but that is probably for a different post... 
Posted by: anafagodma Posted on: Jan 9th, 2005, 9:55am
on Jan 8th, 2005, 9:44pm, Ophelia wrote: One other problem is that I have trouble waking up.  I just wont do it.  Sometimes when I am in bed, I think to myself that I can just stay there and hide with nobady noticing I was gone.  That way, I wouldnt have to live my life... but that is probably for a different post... 

Because of those commies that invented the snooze alarm--and then acclimated us to sleep through suddenly blasts of a radio turned up full blast stuck smack between two different stations both broadcasting from just a little too far out of your signal's range. 

Commies, I tell you.

Posted by: ldo Posted on: Jan 9th, 2005, 11:33am
SF_Marcello:
If you can do something about the anxiety, maybe the back pain will be reduced. Sorry your surgery didn't work. I had an awful back problem (by my standards) and slowly recovered with one round of steroids, NSAIDS, lots of movement including a lot of walking, and months of time. Never 100% but improving all the time. It's several years later now and I just spent an hour shoveling snow without too much trouble. Hope you can have some recovery.

I've always had some trouble with sleep, tossing and turning and waking up, having trouble falling asleep, or waking up early. And feeling sleepy most days.  With Prozac for depression and Adderall for ADD during the day, I'm doing much better, and can even take naps in daytime. It's easier to stay up too late, tho, so I have to have self discipline about that. If I go to bed at a reasonable hour, at least I'm able to fall asleep. Kind of strange that amphetamines improve sleep, but in my case they do. 
Posted by: Becca Posted on: Jan 10th, 2005, 1:20pm
Staying asleep, for sure.  I can fall asleep whenever, wherever.  If there's an opportunity for me to sleep, I'll take it!

The problem is just that I wake up every hour.  And then every half hour.  And then every 15 minutes or so.  ;)   And so I'll stay in bed for 9, 10, 12 hours a night trying to make up for the repeat wake-ups.

blargh. 
Posted by: HaloGirl66 Posted on: Jan 10th, 2005, 1:29pm
on Jan 10th, 2005, 1:20pm, Becca wrote:Staying asleep, for sure.  I can fall asleep whenever, wherever.  If there's an opportunity for me to sleep, I'll take it!

The problem is just that I wake up every hour.  And then every half hour.  And then every 15 minutes or so.  :)   And so I'll stay in bed for 9, 10, 12 hours a night trying to make up for the repeat wake-ups.

blargh. 

I can totally relate. I rmember glancing up at the clock last night at 1:15, and 2:30, and 3:30 and 4:40, and 6:00 b4 my alarm went off at 6:20.  and I even went to bed early and I still feel exhausted. 
Posted by: Iona_Viona Posted on: Jan 12th, 2005, 12:20am
my sleep is messed up as hell at the moment, if i could i would sleep for 18hrs a day, im already doing the reverse of my old sleeping habits which was awake all night, now i am asleep all the time, can't force myself to stay awake. 
The doctor told me yesterday my meds are not strong enough to be making me that sleepy and he asked 'so what do u think it is then' i replied "im just lazy". He didnt like that answer he replied, in a joking voice "i should of seen that one coming, u cant say anything nice about yourself!'
At least he knows one thing about me now   
Posted by: ignatius Posted on: Jan 12th, 2005, 9:16pm
I've had trouble sleeping for the past several weeks....I generally have to be totally exhausted before I can doze off.  Otherwise, the slightest thing wakes me and I'm wide awake for the next five or six hours.

But the last two nights I've slept uninterrupted, so maybe I'm over it for a while.  Now if I can just get to where I can sleep at night like a normal person.  Right now I go to bed around 3:30 AM and wake up about noon.  My sleep schedule has gotten so messed up over the last few weeks that I don't know if I can ever set things right.

I'm tempted to just give in and sleep all the time and forget about any kind of normal schedule. 
Posted by: libertyjones Posted on: Jan 12th, 2005, 9:50pm
i hate not being able to sleep. i have cycles (which i now know are bp2) where can't sleep then just want to sleep day and night. 

i'm sorry you're having a rough go of it. i hoping to have some relief follow getting a doc. 

hey, off topic, is you username (ignatius) from Confederacy? that is a kick ass book.  anyhow cool name!  hope things get better for you fast. 

Posted by: mercspark Posted on: Apr 17th, 2005, 6:35am
Sorry to bring this topic back up but it really interested me. And i'm desperate. I really have little trouble getting to sleep, it takes about an hour, which in my opinion is ok. I usually (remember) waking 2 maybe 3 times a night which isnt too bad. 

The problem I have is, I wake up after having 6 or 7 hours of not very good sleep and it's like a switch turns me on ,  no matter how tired I am I CAN'T get back to sleep no matter what, eventually I get up and feel like i'm falling asleep on the spot for most of the day. I've tried adding sleeping pills and risperdal but nothing is stopping this 'switch'. This has gone on for almost every single day for months, and I was wondering if it could be SSRI induced? I'm on celexa for a\bout 3 months, and before that had similar problems with zoloft but only afterr I quit smoking.

I NEED to do something about this because it is impossible for me to catch up on my missed hours, after months of this im depresed and have no confidence at all. Obviously im completely exhauseted too. 

I'm going to see my psyhciatrist in a few days and i'm wondering if I should try and get off SSRIS and if there is any antidepressant I could take which would almost ( i know eveyone reacts differently to meds) guarantee i'd be able to stay asleep? 

Any help would be so great.
Posted by: Marcello Posted on: Apr 17th, 2005, 2:55pm
Cannot advise you on medication side-effects, except to comment that among members of this board, every type of side-effect occurs, from a medication causing insomnia to causing sleepiness.

Keep a sleep journal so you can confirm if this only occurs when you are on medication.  Are the benefits of the medication greater than any sleep loss it causes?

The only other suggestion I can make is the standard sleep improvement guidelines:

1) Try strenuous aerobic type exercise earlier in the day on a daily basis (physically exhaust yourself).

2) Cut out caffiene in all forms (coffee, soft drinks, etc).

3) Try deep-breathing meditation, both once or twice during the day for 10min, but also when you are trying to fall asleep & when you awaken & can't fall back asleep.

On another topic, has anyone tried Lunesta  (eszopiclone) yet? It appears to be new in the United States and my pharmacy hasn't been dispensed it yet.  Feedback, please?

My deepest sympathy with your sleep struggles.  I am lucky to get 4hrs/night due to pain, and most nights get only 2hrs. 
Posted by: HaloGirl66 Posted on: Apr 18th, 2005, 9:38am
on Apr 17th, 2005, 2:55pm, Marcello wrote:

On another topic, has anyone tried Lunesta  (eszopiclone) yet? It appears to be new in the United States and my pharmacy hasn't been dispensed it yet.  Feedback, please?

My deepest sympathy with your sleep struggles.  I am lucky to get 4hrs/night due to pain, and most nights get only 2hrs. 

Check this out

http://www.crazymeds...;action=display ;num=1112946490

All about Lunesta 

Posted by: ldo Posted on: Apr 24th, 2005, 1:48am
I've always been a procrastinator, and that certainly applies to going to sleep. I usually get a late day energy boost, too, even if I've been bleary. It used to be that I had a lot of trouble falling asleep, but not now that I'm on Adderall. Lately I've again lost the ability to sleep in, tho. SOmetimes it's 5 hours of sleep at night, and a 2 hour nap in the day. But Adderall makes it easier to stay up when I shouldn't. Easier to nap if I make myself, tho, usually.

Back injury totally jangled nervous system, but that was years ago now. Sleep two hours, walk one, sleep two, give up. 
Posted by: lilie Posted on: Apr 28th, 2005, 2:39pm
I can't stay asleep to save my life. I will take some seroquel and go to sleep but an hour to two hours later I'm up for the night. 

Lilie 
Posted by: Squirlygrl Posted on: Apr 29th, 2005, 4:52am
Can't stay asleep.  Without Zyprexa.  Unless I am depressed.  Then, can't wake up.

Just your standard bipolar, complete with the unwillingness to stay on Zyprexa...
I am *not* any kind of medical professional. I can't spell either. I do the best I can.

My brain cooties: ADD, Wicked Insomnia, SI, Nonverbal Learning Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Periodic Depression and various neurological issues.

Current Meds: 10mg Ambien & 2 mg Xanax at bedtime, 1mg Xanax XR in the morning, 10mg Flexril as needed, 40mg Adderal
Not gonna list previous meds because this signature ain't long enough!

And when I squinted the world seemed rose-tinted
And angels appeared to descend
To my surprise with half-closed eyes
Things looked even better than when they were opened...

M. Gore

#2 Guest_Guest_diciccoap_*_*

Guest_Guest_diciccoap_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2005 - 02:34 PM

which is your sleep issue?
Posted by: Kassiane Posted on: Dec 31st, 2004, 2:49pm
Hehe.

I dont think theres a sleep issue I HAVENT had at some point.

I have a lot of trouble getting to sleep unless I wait till Im totally exhausted. Then I wake up at every little noise. Or do strange things...or have bad dreams...or not be able to get up in the morning...

Im a piss-poor sleeper =/

Kassiane: You need help for your not sleeping desires. If you do not get enough sleep you will crash right into depression for sure. They use sleep deprevation in prisons as tourture you know. I would seriously recommend you get the help you need for your own saftey and well being. Please seek help. Phyllis, diciccoap@aol.com

Edited by HaloGirl66, 07 June 2005 - 03:19 PM.

#3 Guest_Bonni_*

Guest_Bonni_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:38 PM

Im 40, female, and have had this sleep issue most of my adult life. I can sleep if i take 2 1/2 klonopin, but, if i repeat that for longer hen 2, 3 days, im a total bitch and just want to curl up in bed and cry. I have had all the standard tests done. All came back neg. or normal. I have anxiety and am bi-polar, also, anemic, hypoglycemic, prone to migraines, peri-menipausal, and verious body pains. Im begining to think im going crazy cuz no Dr can explain why i suffer all these ailments, (to use my Dr's words). It sucks. It makes me think more, ache more, sleep less and sometimes, not get anything accomplished. Mom swears its fibromyalgia (doc ruled that out too). Oh, did i mention the bizzare dreams and nightmares? I wish i was "normal"...it doesnt get better, in fact, seems to get worse...im desperate for answers...

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.