Photo
- - - - -

What do you do during light therapy?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LunaRufina

LunaRufina

Creating and embracing drama since 2004.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4377 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:06 PM

I was just wondering, for those doing light therapy, what do you do during the time you need to sit in front of the box?

I am still trying to figure out how I want mine set up: if I want it angled down into my eyes, so I could do something like use my laptop, or if I want to put it stood up facing me on the table so I can read and glance up every 15 seconds or so.

Today I read and the past couple of days I had it set up above me and angled down into my eyes. This is the one that can tilt down into your eyes.

Curious as to what type of lights people use, too.
Does anyone use a visor?

"...what you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.”

― Kent M. Keith, The Silent Revolution: Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council"

Midway

#2 Penny Century

Penny Century

"For now we see through a glass, darkly."

• Admin
  • 2304 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:33 PM

i do um... this.

i kinda want a visor.

i have a litebook, which has fewer lux than yours, but *supposedly* since the light is blueish it works as well. my whole family got them after i did, only they got the pretty blue ones, which are neat b/c they're chargeable and you can move em around the house.
"Participation without awareness is a characteristic of impulsive and mood dependent behaviors... The ability to apply verbal labels to behavioral and enviornental events is essential for both communication and self-control. Learning to describe requires that a person learn not to take emotions and thoughts literally-- that is, as literal reflections of environmental events."

~Marsha M. Linehan

~My Profile in case you wanna know my meds and what not~

#3 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:39 PM

How long are you supposed to bathe in the light?

a.m.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#4 Penny Century

Penny Century

"For now we see through a glass, darkly."

• Admin
  • 2304 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:47 PM

How long are you supposed to bathe in the light?

a.m.

depends upon what your doctor wants. anywhere between 15 minutes to an hour at the end, i think. i do 1/2 hr. or 20 minutes if i'm antsy. and sometimes i do a 10 minute booster dose (hehe) in the early afternoon if it's a cloudy day.
"Participation without awareness is a characteristic of impulsive and mood dependent behaviors... The ability to apply verbal labels to behavioral and enviornental events is essential for both communication and self-control. Learning to describe requires that a person learn not to take emotions and thoughts literally-- that is, as literal reflections of environmental events."

~Marsha M. Linehan

~My Profile in case you wanna know my meds and what not~

#5 SunshineOutside

SunshineOutside

Sunshine Outside

• Pip
  • 951 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:17 PM

Put on make-up & read. 20 min.
Meds revised 11/5/2009

Bipolar II,GAD,SA

Current: Lamictal 300mg, Lorazepam 1-1/2 per day. Amantadine, Trazadone 150mg, P, Abilify 7.5mg, Luvox 50Mg, Prozac 40mg.

#6 LunaRufina

LunaRufina

Creating and embracing drama since 2004.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4377 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:55 PM

I think I've finally figured out a good routine. I waas having trouble just getting comfortable having the time go by. Now I go down [I do it at the kitchen table] and get my breakfast ready than eat breakfast in front of the light and read the rest of the time. I think I'm just finally used to it.

It's easier because it breaks the time up a bit.
I just finished a book though and was worried I wouldn't find something interesting enough. I do it for 35 minutes at this point but I think I am going to 40 soon. There's a difference but not enough yet. It's funny but the five minutes does make a difference.

I would love to try a visor too but I don't know that they are as effective as a light box.

"...what you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.”

― Kent M. Keith, The Silent Revolution: Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council"

Midway

#7 ScrambleHead

ScrambleHead

Nuttiest Nut competitor 2012

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

You aren't meant to look in to the light, as long a it's shining in your eyes it's okay.
Dx's: Agoraphobia, OCD, GAD w/ somatization, panic attacks, Cluster B, PTSD traits, AvPD. Drug induced Schizophrenia.
200mg 50mg Zoloft :loved: will start prozac or effexor.
Risperidone 2mg <_< tapering to 1mg

Wishlist: Dexedrine please.

#8 amy5000

amy5000

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

Mine is right next to my computer, so I sit and surf the net, eat my breakfast, and drink my coffee for a half an hour in front of it. 

dx: bipolar 2, gad, "mixed personality disorder" blah blah

meds: trileptal 300mg, viibryd 20mg, gabapentin 300mg PRN, clonazepam .5mg PRN

#9 hagar

hagar

Television version of a person with a broken heart.

• Inmate
  • 8112 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

I use a SunTouchPlus light therapy lamp for 30min-90min a day, every morning while having coffee and reading or browsing the internet. 

"But nobody ever sees how far the things we shouldn't feel can take us. I just want to walk along the shore for an hour, watch the waves rearranging whatever they can. I like the way the sea encourages me to think about the past, as if I could leave it where it is: the moon on the water, the stars that gleam and are gone."

#10 melody_from_mars

melody_from_mars

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

mine casts the most beautiful blue light, so i usually turn off all the other lights and set it up while i'm in the bath... i prop it up on the toilet so its about 2 feet away and just enjoy the cerulean light. very mellow.

Dx Major Depressive Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder

Rx Latuda (80mg) and currently  ECT

'Limb by limb and tooth by tooth
Tearing up inside of me
Every day every hour
I wish that I was bullet proof'

#11 saveyoursanity

saveyoursanity

Sister Hand Grenade of Enlightened Compassion

• Inmate
  • 2185 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

I use mine for anywhere from an hour to two hours a day.  It shines in my eyes while I'm at the computer; that's pretty much the only way I can see myself sitting still with a bright light shining in my eyes.  I've discovered I can't use it while playing video games or watching movies, because it's too bright & too distracting, but I can read things and generally 'surf' the web.

CAPS LOCK IS HOW I FEEL INSIDE ALL THE TIME.

"There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution."

Dx and Psych Rx in profile.

I am NOT a medical professional, merely experienced from a consumer perspective.
I strongly urge fact checking with your own research and consulting an actual medical professional.

#12 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

check my work email, it sits on my desk, on the side

currently I use it for 60 mins, but I usually start at 15 mins in the fall
and then increase time as needed for depression

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.