• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate
  • 2916 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:52 PM

I'm applying for SSDI. I just got a call from my pdoc's office. They have my records ready to send to social security, but they were also sent a 5-page evaluation form. They called because he would only fill it out if I paid him $50. I think if he fills out the form it will help, so I gave them my credit card number and paid it. It just seems wrong that I should have to pay.

schizoaffective bipolar type, social anxiety, depersonalization disorder
abilify, lamictal, lexapro, wellbutrin, seroquel

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.

Horace Walpole

http://psychcentral....isorder/0001564

Don't believe everything you read on the internet, including me. 

I am not a mental health care professional, please seek out a professional's advice.

#2 LunaRufina

LunaRufina

<3 Cacia.

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 4204 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:54 PM

I'm sorry that does seem really wrong.

Call social security and ask them about that though. They may reimburse you. I know they reimburse doctors if they charge for examinations.

I don't know about the situation here, because it seems sort of grey. Maybe just ask them what costs are covered in the process and explain to them what the charge was.

Did you ask the doctor's office what the standard fees are for paperwork, etc?

As far as the form goes:
Do you know which form it was? If you can find out, there are a lot of forms online, you may want to go through and write a reaction to some of the questions for his reference. It may help. Was he supposed to do an evalutation along with it and ask you specific questions?

I don't know what else to say but it might just be a standard practice at his office.

Though, if he's pulling out of his ass, something really is amiss here.

"...what you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.”

― Kent M. Keith, The Silent Revolution: Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council"

#3 wifezilla

wifezilla

• Pip
  • 2474 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:57 PM

WHAT?!?!?!?!

They intentionally make these forms impossible and then the doctor has the nerve to charge you to fill them out?!?!??!

This is just wrong.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

"Chaos is the law of nature, and order is the dream of man" - Henry Brooks Adam (1838-1918)

"I'm not sick, but I'm not well. And it's so hot, cause I'm in hell" - Harvey Danger

"I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell - I know, right now you can't tell - But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see A different side of me" - Rob Thomas

#4 december_brigette

december_brigette

• Pip
  • 2567 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:41 PM

Hi,

Unfortunately some doctors charge for EVERYTHING and that includes any type of paperwork - disability, fmla, additional insurance paperwork...anything extra, really.

it puts some people in a hard place...$50 for your doctor to fill out paperwork seems unreasonable. but if thats the office's policy...what are you gonna do but pay?

good luck,
december

dx: bipolar 1, anxiety, and a little ptsd

current meds:
cymbalta 90mgs
depakote 1250 mg
prazosin 1 mg
seroquel 50 mg
xanax 2.50 mg

other meds ive tried: abilify, ambien, effexor xr, lamictal, lexapro, lithium, lunesta, paxil, provigil, tegretol, trazodone, wellbutrin, zoloft.

"I mixed Benadryl and Tegretol one time. Spent three days guessing weight at the Iowa State Fair. Got crabs, and a tattoo, of a crab," Andy on "weeds."

#5 crazynotstupid

crazynotstupid

S'up yo

• Inmate
  • 2430 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:47 PM

Some doc. I'd be looking in the Yellow Pages...
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep
And miles to go before I sleep.
-Robert Frost

#6 sdjeff

sdjeff

• Pip
  • 703 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:44 AM

I have SSDI and got into this situation

The 5 page form could be a Residual Functional Capacity ( RFC ) questionare. Unfortunately they are able to charge you to fill those out. It takes most doctors 1-2 hours to properly fill it out.

The other medical records have to be sent to the SSA and sometimes they will pay the doc a nominal fee if charged.

Yeah, it's a crappy system and is not fair. I do wish you luck.

Edited by sdjeff, 14 February 2007 - 04:46 AM.

The age demanded that we sing
And cut away our tongue.
The age demanded that we flow
And hammered in the bung.
The age demanded that we dance
And jammed us into iron pants.
And in the end the age was handed
The sort of shit that it demanded.
-Ernest Hemingway

Schizoaffective Disorder, PTSD, GAD, and a bevy pf physical crap

Rx's: Psych meds: Lamictal 100 mg 2x/day, Trileptal 600 mg/morning 600 mg/night, Topamax 100 mg 2x/day, (also for migraines) Buspar 10 mg 3x/day, Haldol 2 mg 2x/day 4 mg night Starting NArdil. The other 13 are available as relevant to individual query.

"It's not when you get knocked down, it's whether you get back up." - Stephen Colbert

#7 Loon-A-TiK

Loon-A-TiK

Is there no way out of the mind? - Sylvia Plath

• Pip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:29 PM

i know that it can take pdocs awhile to fill out the forms and that SSA doesn't give them much to cover their time (kinda like how ssa doesn't give us much SSDI- cheap bastards), but i'm more soft-hearted than that. i would think that they know, that because you're applying for SSDI in the first place, that you're probably not in the best place financially and $50 is a lot of money for you. i would offer my services pro bono if i had to, to see my patients get the help they needed. and it isn't like you don't spend enough money on office visits anyway. your status as a client pays for the pdoc to spend a little time with the paperwork i should think.

i'd really consider looking in the yellow pages, like CNS suggested. i've never heard of that. i know they take a lot of time to do it, but as i mentioned, there are so many reasons to not charge you, if for no other than they know you're poor and it would be out of their own goodness. you want a doctor who has a good heart.

maybe i'm just sappy over here, and have no business head. it probably is the case. but i just can't see anyone being charged that much for some paperwork.
DX-BP1 w/psychotic symptoms, PTSD, ADD (Inattentive), and body dysmorphic disorder
Daily RX- WB 300mg, Lamictal 400mg, Abilify 20mg, Adderall XR 30mg, Inderal 10mgx2, Nuvaring
a multi-vitamin, hair/skin/nails vitamin, super 50-b complex vitamin, flax oil

prn- Zyprexa 10-20mg for emergencies

In memory of my dad, BP1 suicide. I love you and miss you!

EX RX- Seroquel, Risperdal, Geodon (master of all that is evil), Zyprexa (the good stuff), Zyprexa Zydis, Trazadon, Depakote, Lithium, Serzone, Paxil, Effexor, Lexapro, Haldol, Strattera, Topamax, Symmetrel, other old school ACs, and more I can't remember now

"Can a selfish egocentric jealous and unimaginative female write a damn thing worthwhile?" - Sylvia Plath

If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it at all.

#8 lemonflavor

lemonflavor

• Pip
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:01 PM

My last pdoc didn't charge me. He filled out the form soon after I gave it to him and I doubt it takes all that long to fill it out if they know you well. When we pay them $200-$400+ an hour this usually includes phone calls, dealing with some paperwork etc. and hopefully filling out a form for SSDI. Mine was called the Mental Impairment Questionaire.
BP II (MDD, PD, GAD) Insomnia
Lamictal 75mg, Lexapro 20mg, Inderal 50mg, Klonopin 1.5mg, 7.75mg Remeron-sleep
Pain: MS Contin 90mg day, Percoset 40mg (oxycodone) day
As needed: Ambien, tramadol
Past Rx: almost every AD you can think of, Zyprexa, Seroquel, Risperdal, Trileptal, Depakote, Lithium, Deplin, Gabapentin, Baclofen, Cyclobenzaprine, Zanaflex

#9 Guest_Dina_*

Guest_Dina_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:50 AM

I'm applying for SSDI. I just got a call from my pdoc's office. They have my records ready to send to social security, but they were also sent a 5-page evaluation form. They called because he would only fill it out if I paid him $50. I think if he fills out the form it will help, so I gave them my credit card number and paid it. It just seems wrong that I should have to pay.

go to this website: http://lwd.dol.state...fs/tdi/Code.pdf
go to page 8 , it states No licensed medical practitioner shall charge a fee. Fight it with the Doctor!!
This applies to NJ only. Hope this helps?

#10 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:50 PM

go to this website: [link=http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/forms_pdfs/tdi/Code.pdf" target="_blank]http://lwd.dol.state...fs/tdi/Code.pdf[/link]
go to page 8 , it states No licensed medical practitioner shall charge a fee. Fight it with the Doctor!!
This applies to NJ only. Hope this helps?

Giggle... I love it when this happens. Ok, the OP is now going to fight the fee they already paid to the doctor now because of something you said two years later.

Sorry, there's just been quite a few "graveyard postings" been dug up lately (one of them mine, yikes!) and it made me laugh.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#11 Guest_ADAHL_*

Guest_ADAHL_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:55 PM

WHAT?!?!?!?!

They intentionally make these forms impossible and then the doctor has the nerve to charge you to fill them out?!?!??!

This is just wrong.

I work for a doctor and am absolutely BOMBARDED with forms. From employers, from insurance companies, from disability companies, etc. These forms take time to fill out. You can't fill them out when you have patients in the office, or when you are in surgery. So most people come in on the weekends, or stay late to fill out these forms. Sacrificing their own free time, lunch time, family time to fill these out. They are of no financial benefit to the doctor. They are strictly for the benefit of the patient. It is not unresonable to be compensated for the time and effort put forth in completing these forms.

#12 beetle

beetle

• Pip
  • 804 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:56 PM

I know this is an old thread that got bumped but just wanted to add that my pdoc charges for all that kind of paperwork too. I just paid $25 for FMLA paperwork and it's the same charge, I think, for any kind of SSDI paperwork. She, the pdoc, has been complaining to me lately that there's just so much paperwork they have to do with the regular stuff like dealing with insurance companies and all that, that they have to charge for anything extra.

So far, they don't charge me with anything that's directly related to my care. Like getting prior authorization on my meds. And I know that takes time and it's a PIA to them but I can't help it that my insurance wants all this stupid paperwork.
Dx:
"My working Dx is Bipolar. Yes, there seems to be some HFA traits." ~my pdoc
Possibly BP II ~a Psy.D

Rx:
AM Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Ritalin LA 30mg, Klonopin .5mg,
PM Geodon 160mg, Klonopin 1mg

Dx past: BP NOS w/ schizoid tendencies, Double depression, MDD or something
Rx past: Lithium+prozac, tegretol+paxil, effexor+wellbutrin, lexapro, cymbalta, provigil,
zoloft+ strattera, abilify (twice)+wellbutrin, lamictal+wellbutrin, risperdal, trileptal and a dash of xanax and klonopin

#13 Guest_Poorman_*

Guest_Poorman_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:46 PM

WHAT?!?!?!?!

This is just wrong.

I work for a doctor and am absolutely BOMBARDED with forms. From employers, from insurance companies, from disability companies, etc. These forms take time to fill out. You can't fill them out when you have patients in the office, or when you are in surgery. So most people come in on the weekends, or stay late to fill out these forms. Sacrificing their own free time, lunch time, family time to fill these out. They are of no financial benefit to the doctor. They are strictly for the benefit of the patient. It is not unresonable to be compensated for the time and effort put forth in completing these forms.

So what you're basically saying is that if it's 'strictly for the benefit of the patient' you should charge them more?
The doctor benefits from having a patient, it's a mutual relationship, patients aren't cows roaming the fields with dollar signs on them, they're human, usually in bad health and need their doctor to help them.
I'm sorry, it's part of your job.
You get compensated for it by your paycheck being significantly larger than someone who flips burgers or sweeps halls.
It sounds to me like the practice you work for is more concerned with cash flow than the patient.

#14 Thomas

Thomas

• Pip
  • 2051 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:13 AM

I just paid $25 to have my FMLA paperwork filled out. My previous pdoc did the same thing; it sounds like a standard practice (which doesn't mean it's good).

Tommy
Dx:BP1, OCD, Diabetetes Type 2, Hypertension, Gastroparesis & kidney stones
Rx: Abilify 20 mg., Klonopin 6.0 mg., Restoril 30 mg. Cymbalta 120 mg. , Lamictal 400 mg., Cogentin 1.5 mg. Crestor 10 mg. hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg., Hyzaar 100/25 mg., domperidone 20 mg. and Levemir Insulin 40 units, Actos 45 mg.,Proprananol ER 80 mg., Hydrocodone/APAP 40 mg./4000 mg., tizanidine 1 mg., Fiorocet 3 mg.

#15 Guest_Jackie_*

Guest_Jackie_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

WHAT?!?!?!?!

This is just wrong.

So what you're basically saying is that if it's 'strictly for the benefit of the patient' you should charge them more?
The doctor benefits from having a patient, it's a mutual relationship, patients aren't cows roaming the fields with dollar signs on them, they're human, usually in bad health and need their doctor to help them.
I'm sorry, it's part of your job.
You get compensated for it by your paycheck being significantly larger than someone who flips burgers or sweeps halls.
It sounds to me like the practice you work for is more concerned with cash flow than the patient.

No, What she is saying is that you are not the only patient who needs a form filled out, time is money, and like it or not, thats the real world. Those doctors you talk about, you know, they arent as money-hungry as you think....
-how many employees do you think he has to pay to fill out all that paperwork for insurance companies, including your own? ..cash flow?..How much do you think that costs?
-And what, your doctor should do double the work for "free" because your ill?
Thats insanity!
You are right, filling out forms is part of a doctors "job",but people get paid for doing their job. If you want care for free - go to the clinic...
Your doctor is not a volunteer!
People that think like you are the primary reason that healthcare got out of control

#16 Guest_MTW_*

Guest_MTW_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:46 PM

I know this post is old, but I felt I had to reply. Doctors are often burdened with huge amounts of paperwork, phone calls and messages. Just today I received 40 messages to call people back for one thing or another. This all takes time. Forms take a huge amount of time,especially if they are just dropped off without any guidance. Sometimes you are left to plow through a patient's chart to find relevant dates and office visits. Why should this time not be reimbursed? Try calling your lawyer or accountant to see if he will get on the phone with you to chat about some professional question and you will get a bill based on a rate of $200-$300 per hour.
If you paid your doctor an annual fee, as is the case with boutique medicine, then you might have a point about getting forms for free.
Generally, doctors do not charge to return a phone call, but maybe they should, because often the advice they give takes the place of an office visit. Filling out forms, which is generally a lot of work, should require a fee in most cases.
Hope you appreciate the other side of the argument.
MTW

#17 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:42 PM

Try calling your lawyer or accountant to see if he will get on the phone with you to chat about some professional question and you will get a bill based on a rate of $200-$300 per hour.

Actually, my parent's lawyer does take phone calls, and would sit in to visit my parents, for free. Of course, this was a small town and he'd been not only a lawyer, but a friend, of my family for more than 30 years.

I worked 15 years in banking. We always had that sign "$20 per hour for research fee" and not once in those 15 years over a variety of employers did we ever charge that fee. And if you think doctors have a lot of research to do to answer questions, try being a banker. Doctors have nothing on the research bankers do. For free. On top of all their other daily work.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#18 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate
  • 2916 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:24 AM

I know this post is old, but I felt I had to reply. Doctors are often burdened with huge amounts of paperwork, phone calls and messages. Just today I received 40 messages to call people back for one thing or another. This all takes time. Forms take a huge amount of time,especially if they are just dropped off without any guidance. Sometimes you are left to plow through a patient's chart to find relevant dates and office visits. Why should this time not be reimbursed? Try calling your lawyer or accountant to see if he will get on the phone with you to chat about some professional question and you will get a bill based on a rate of $200-$300 per hour.
If you paid your doctor an annual fee, as is the case with boutique medicine, then you might have a point about getting forms for free.
Generally, doctors do not charge to return a phone call, but maybe they should, because often the advice they give takes the place of an office visit. Filling out forms, which is generally a lot of work, should require a fee in most cases.
Hope you appreciate the other side of the argument.
MTW

Thanks. This is an old post and I do understand that now.

I ended up being awarded SSDI shortly after he returned the paperwork so now I think the money was well spent.

schizoaffective bipolar type, social anxiety, depersonalization disorder
abilify, lamictal, lexapro, wellbutrin, seroquel

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.

Horace Walpole

http://psychcentral....isorder/0001564

Don't believe everything you read on the internet, including me. 

I am not a mental health care professional, please seek out a professional's advice.

#19 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:26 AM

I pay a co-pay any time I need a letter or forms filled out by my doc. He used to do it or free but I really require a lot of notes to get the meds I need so it takes a lot of his time.

nf

#20 Guest_CB_*

Guest_CB_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:06 PM

I pay a co-pay any time I need a letter or forms filled out by my doc. He used to do it or free but I really require a lot of notes to get the meds I need so it takes a lot of his time.

nf

While I understand the doctor's need for compensation, I am baffled by the amount of doctors who refuse to fill out any type of disability form. Aren't doctors in the business of helping patients? Yes they are bombarded by forms, but I don't think doctors understand that when they refuse to fill out a form for disability, they may be taking away the prospect of roof over somebody's head or a meal on a table. Yes, doctor's are helping patients become healthy... but what about helping them retain a stable livelihood by being able to afford a home or food? If I was a doctor, I don't know how I'd live with myself if I knew my refusal to fill out a form caused someone to become homeless.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.