• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 tek

tek

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:17 PM

Hi all,

My Adderall IR (generic - Ranbaxy or something?) doses were 40mg per day (one 20mg in AM, another 20mg about 5 hours later). Didn't really notice withdrawals or "come down" on most days. Usually most effective the first 2 hours after taking the dose, then effectiveness waned....afternoon dose seemed to wane less smoothly and I'd have a hard time not leaving work early because I was tired/bored/unmotivated.

My pdoc has casually suggested I try Adderall XR a few times, just because it's known to work well for a lot of people. Since this generic IR has been far less troublesome than some of the others I've tried, I didn't jump on the opportunity for a free trial of Adderal XR until now.

Yesterday was my first day on XR (two 20mg capsules in AM). The effects seemed to last longer than a couple of hours, and I couldn't tell whether the first dose wore off before the second one kicked in. In fact, I couldn't pinpoint without a doubt when the first one kicked in. So, not being able to tell these things on my own, I'm hoping you folks might be able to answer some questions:

1. When does the second dose usually "release"?

2. Have you noticed a difference in "come down"/withdrawl effects between IR and XR?

3. Is XR worth the extra money? Generic IR is cheap...!

4. Are there any other interesting differences or advantages/disadvantages you've noticed when comparing your experiences with the two?

Thanks!
REMISSION FOR THE WIN!!!!

Dx: ADD, recurring major depression (w/ anxiety), initial insomnia
...CSMS (chronic shitty mood syndrome), BHLFBBM (bad habits learned from bipolar borderline mom)

Crap down the trap: Lamictal 200mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Provigil 200mg, Ativan 0.5 mg BID, Seroquel 50-100mg bedtime

Ex-Rx: Adderall XR, Adderall IR, Lexapro, Prozac, Effexor XR, Abilify, Risperdal, Ambien, Klonopin, Lunesta, Propranolol, Kephlex, Bactrim

#2 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:44 PM

1. When does the second dose usually "release"?

IIRC, after about 3-4 hours.

2. Have you noticed a difference in "come down"/withdrawal effects between IR and XR?

As a one-a-day pill, XR was not as strong in the morning, a bit more consistent across the early afternoon, and tapered off before the afternoon drive home.

3. Is XR worth the extra money? Generic IR is cheap...!

For me it wasn't. But both worked - that's better than some folks seem to get.

Edited by null0trooper, 21 March 2007 - 08:44 PM.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#3 Sunshine

Sunshine

• Pip
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:55 PM

From the PI sheet:

A single dose of ADDERALL XRŽ 20 mg capsules provided comparable plasma concentration profiles of both
d-amphetamine and l-amphetamine to ADDERALLŽ (immediate-release) 10 mg bid administered 4 hours apart.

BID = 2x/day.

I never could remember to take the second dose, so the XR version was a godsend for me. It's been so long since I was on just the immediate release version (I still take 10 mg in the morning because it kicks in faster than the XR version), so I don't really remember how different the two are.
Diagnonsenses: Major Depressive Disorder (recurrent, in remission), ADD (inattentive type), Chronic Insomnia, Migraines, mild Anxiety Disorder (NOS), and a broken heart (also in remission!).
Current Cocktail (as of 11/17/2011):
~Morning: 20 mg Adderall XR, 3 mg Intuniv, and 1 mg Xanax XR
~Bedtime: 8 mg Rozerem, 5-10 mg Ambien, 200 mg Danazol (for PMDD and migraine), 100 mg Aldactone
~PRN: 2.5 mg Amerge (for migraines) and .25 mg IR Xanax
Previous meds: See profile.

#4 catwhispers5

catwhispers5

Hey, I'm scratchin' here!

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:58 PM

For me the XR did not work at all and I recently found out why. I was taking the same dose of XR as I was the IR (60 mg), but with the XR I found out it release 30 and then 30. So I was getting 1/2 of what I really needed. I went back to the IR. I take 60 when I wake up, and only take the 2nd dose if I need it to function the rest of the day.

#5 Loon-A-TiK

Loon-A-TiK

Is there no way out of the mind? - Sylvia Plath

• Pip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:14 PM

i don't have any personal experience with the IR, only XR. however, one of my ex boyfriends used to take IR. he could really feel the peaks and valleys of it, and his moods even showed when he had his dose verses when he needed it. then he stayed up half the night because of when he had to take the second dose.

taking XR, i notice it kick in about an hour after i take it, it works for about 8 or so hours, and fades. it fades in time for me to chill out, and is out of my brain by the time i want to go to sleep. i don't have any pressing need for there to be a second dose, so i only have my morning dose. i'd like a second dose, but my pdoc won't go up higher than 30mg on my XR, and i'm already there.

i'll have to ask him why he won't go over 30.
DX-BP1 w/psychotic symptoms, PTSD, ADD (Inattentive), and body dysmorphic disorder
Daily RX- WB 300mg, Lamictal 400mg, Abilify 20mg, Adderall XR 30mg, Inderal 10mgx2, Nuvaring
a multi-vitamin, hair/skin/nails vitamin, super 50-b complex vitamin, flax oil

prn- Zyprexa 10-20mg for emergencies

In memory of my dad, BP1 suicide. I love you and miss you!

EX RX- Seroquel, Risperdal, Geodon (master of all that is evil), Zyprexa (the good stuff), Zyprexa Zydis, Trazadon, Depakote, Lithium, Serzone, Paxil, Effexor, Lexapro, Haldol, Strattera, Topamax, Symmetrel, other old school ACs, and more I can't remember now

"Can a selfish egocentric jealous and unimaginative female write a damn thing worthwhile?" - Sylvia Plath

If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it at all.

#6 catwhispers5

catwhispers5

Hey, I'm scratchin' here!

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:40 PM

i don't have any personal experience with the IR, only XR. however, one of my ex boyfriends used to take IR. he could really feel the peaks and valleys of it, and his moods even showed when he had his dose verses when he needed it. then he stayed up half the night because of when he had to take the second dose.

taking XR, i notice it kick in about an hour after i take it, it works for about 8 or so hours, and fades. it fades in time for me to chill out, and is out of my brain by the time i want to go to sleep. i don't have any pressing need for there to be a second dose, so i only have my morning dose. i'd like a second dose, but my pdoc won't go up higher than 30mg on my XR, and i'm already there.

i'll have to ask him why he won't go over 30.

If you don't need it, and you're getting the effect and it lasts long enough, why would you want a 2nd dose? Especially of the XR. If you feel you do need more sometimes, maybe 30 mg of IR after the XR effect wears off.

It is not the healthiest medication in the world, and I do believe one should only take exactly what one needs. In fact, and I've found this to be true, it's supposed to somewhat peak in your system and after a certain amount, many dont' even feel the extra effect, or if they do, it's just in terms of being super-hyper. It is, after all, a form of speed. As much as I am a proponent of Adderall, I do believe in only taking what one needs. I didn't start at this dose. I started at 5 mg, and we raised it until I was able to feel the effects.

What my p-doc does is prescribe my 60 mg in the am, and 30 in the pm. He knows I don't take it if I don't need it, so I have enough to take the 60 any afternoon I do.

One reason many docs don't prescribe over 30 is because that's what the PDR recommends at the maximum dose. What many do not know is that since Adderall was originally marketing for children with ADD, that the PDR dose is based on a children's dose. You might want to mention that to your doctor if you feel you want to discuss raising the dose.

#7 Bianca

Bianca

• Pip
  • 661 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:38 AM

I take 25mg of the xr and it wears off about 1pm ish... I then will sometimes yake a 10mg adderall and it does the job.

#8 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:49 AM

If you don't need it, and you're getting the effect and it lasts long enough, why would you want a 2nd dose? Especially of the XR. If you feel you do need more sometimes, maybe 30 mg of IR after the XR effect wears off.

I agree with the idea that if you're needing a second dose to extend your functioning time, then the regular
stuff is more cost-effective. Besides, for some people the 2nd XR dose would more likely screw up their sleep.
Then again, as a couple of members have found out the hard way, "bumping" Adderall doses is a good way
to end up too tired to do anything and too wired to sleep right, if it doesn't put you straight to sleep...

Addressing what Loon said, keep in mind that her AAP blocks some of the "effect" to be obtained from Adderall.
I get the impression that she finds it that much harder then to tell whether the Adderall is working or not. Throw
in a bit of "what happened to the last couple of hours?" and you can see why there might be a benefit to a
second dose ... but it might not work, or work but against the other meds, or she might too often forget
to take it until too late anyway - all arguments against prescribing a second dose.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#9 Guest_MAR_*

Guest_MAR_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:55 PM

I have been taking 5mg Adult Adderall IR for the past few months. At first it was great. It seems like it solved all my problems in terms of being much calmer inside, being able to concentrate a lot more (not perfectly just better than before), the exhaustion went away, my mood was so much more stable and I wasn't as edgy as intense as I was all my life. This was all great for a month or so but the second month of taking the medication, Ive been having real bad migrains every single day and I am exhausted. I haven't been able to figure out if it's the medication or just that I am in a tough period in my life in terms of being overworked and so much stress at work. I've always had headaches, but may be two bad ones in a month not every single day. And even if I did, they weren't such bad migrains that sucked the life out of me and left me exahausted. I ve literally been sitting on my couch all weekend and not done much for the past month where as I used to be active and finished 6 Marathons (one every year)! The headache and the exhuastion resulting from the headaches don't let me do much anymore just enough to do my job and recoup after work! Is all of this because of Adderall? I really like the calming effect but can't figure out if this is what has effected and changed my life for the worse!!! Please advise! I don't want to stop taking it if this is all not the side effects of Adderall.

#10 Guest_DiagnosedADD_*

Guest_DiagnosedADD_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:11 PM

Hey Guest
I was taking 30mg of the XR and had the same effect. Headaches (I never got them before) and the tiredness also. No motivation. I just recently switched to the IR but too soon to see if it makes a difference. Are you only taking the 5mg once a day? How long before you feel the headaches etc...From reading on many boards 5mg of the IR once a day is a really low dose. Maybe you need a second dose in the afternoon?
Trying to figure out the right dose and combinations really sucks but worth it in the end.
I've discovered that ANY amount of caffeine during the day is NOT a good combo with this med.

#11 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:56 PM

From reading on many boards 5mg of the IR once a day is a really low dose. Maybe you need a second dose in the afternoon?

It's fairly low, but a person could be on other medications which interact with stimulants.

I've discovered that ANY amount of caffeine during the day is NOT a good combo with this med.

That might depend on a person's individual tolerance for either or both substances - I'm usually OK as long as I have at least two cups of coffee a day, while others can't tolerate caffeine at all, even without a stimulant.

#12 Guest_CoolGuyStayingFocused_*

Guest_CoolGuyStayingFocused_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:22 PM

Has anyone got acid reflux with Adderall XR? Do u think switching to Adderall IR will help? I took Vyvanse but I got really Angry on it but no reflux and I tried Focalin XR and still the same side effect of acid reflux, so I guess i will have to try to switch to IR to try to lessen the reflex at least, the only thing my doc gets mad when i ask her to switch drugs cuz of side effects, it's stupid because I think a doctor is suppose to try u on different meds till u feel better on it. So before I switch I would like to know if anyone has gone thru the side effect of acid reflux and switched from XR to IR and it helped.

#13 Guest_matt_*

Guest_matt_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:21 AM

One thing I have learned by taking adderall and going through some of the same symptoms you people are talking about is that you need to eat during the day. The fact that you dont feel like eating when on this medication can make your blood sugars drop which causes headaches and can even cause you to feel like you want to throw up so try fitting in some snacks during the day.

#14 Guest_Tryintostayfocused_*

Guest_Tryintostayfocused_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:07 PM

my problem with adderall is when i eat , i feel bad, cuz when i eat theres no acid to break down the food, because norepi in adderall inhibits gastric acid secretion and i found out i didnt have GERD like the doctors were saying, it was because of the norepi in adderall, so actually its decreased acid production not increased which is why pantoprazole (PPI) made at worst that they gave me and when i took betaine HCL before a meal i felt much better but the prob is the betaine HCL destroyed the adderall as well, the thing with vyvanse is that it acts on dopamine so it doesnt decrease gastric acid production , so i have no probs with it for acid production but vyvanse gives me anger so in reality i guess too much dopamine is the prob and it might be because vyvanse gives me this feeling like im invincible, the anxiety adderall gives in a way is good for me which is by Norepi because it makes u think twice abt wat u do, and to not resort to anger for everything but the only thing is the decreased acid with adderall gets to a point where i get really full from food and depressed and dont feel like doing anything so i have no clue wat to do cuz for me , vyvanse gives me rage like hell , and adderall gives me the fullness with depression when i eat, and focalin puts me too sleep, so idk if dexedrine would benefit me but techinally its the same chemicals as vyvanse giving just dopamine in the end point but its Immediate release and maybe i can find the right dose of it or smth

#15 SashaSue

SashaSue

Vulpes Bipolaris

• Pip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:57 PM

Why are you taking any stimulants? What symptoms are you trying to treat?
Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD<br />
Rx: Seroquel, 800mg, Lamictal, 150mg, Effexor, 325mg, Wellbutrin, 450, Dexedrine ER, 60mg

#16 Guest_Tryintostayfocused_*

Guest_Tryintostayfocused_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:55 AM

I'm taking them for adult adhd , i have trouble focusing is what im trying to treat .

#17 Guest_krista_*

Guest_krista_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:34 AM

I have been taking 5mg Adult Adderall IR for the past few months. At first it was great. It seems like it solved all my problems in terms of being much calmer inside, being able to concentrate a lot more (not perfectly just better than before), the exhaustion went away, my mood was so much more stable and I wasn't as edgy as intense as I was all my life. This was all great for a month or so but the second month of taking the medication, Ive been having real bad migrains every single day and I am exhausted. I haven't been able to figure out if it's the medication or just that I am in a tough period in my life in terms of being overworked and so much stress at work. I've always had headaches, but may be two bad ones in a month not every single day. And even if I did, they weren't such bad migrains that sucked the life out of me and left me exahausted. I ve literally been sitting on my couch all weekend and not done much for the past month where as I used to be active and finished 6 Marathons (one every year)! The headache and the exhuastion resulting from the headaches don't let me do much anymore just enough to do my job and recoup after work! Is all of this because of Adderall? I really like the calming effect but can't figure out if this is what has effected and changed my life for the worse!!! Please advise! I don't want to stop taking it if this is all not the side effects of Adderall.

#18 Guest_krista_*

Guest_krista_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:37 AM

LOL 5 mg a day, thats cuuuuuuuute. :wtf:

#19 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:23 AM

I had reflux on adderall, it worked and was cheaper than provigil but I found it to be a dirtier drug, generally, and didn't like how I felt on it.... Went back to provigil. But my ADHD is mild, I have coping strategies out the wazoo because I was not dx until adulthood fairly late, and I prefer to take something that I feel is easier on my body/brain even if it's a little more expensive.

I never tried IR adderall, but isn't the xr generic now as well? I thought it was...

They were both fairly cheap for me.

Adderall dosig is so subjective. I've seen people on crazy high doeses that make me go WOW! But, I dont know, you do what workks. I am a firm believer in med holidays for my son (who enjoys them and just blathers around, he, like me, doesn't really MIND his ADHD sx all that much) and he's only on 18 mg concerta which is astounding for a 13 year old. He could probably be more organized/focused on more, but he gets all a's anyway, so whatever. His desk is a bit messy, and he needs remidners to pick up on weekends, etc.

He's funny, he's like me, though, he needs an orderly enviornment. In school, when he finishes his work early, he asks the teachers if he can get up and clean. Iam impressed with this coping skill as he's a bit more hyper than I was and it gets him out of his chair and moving in a very pro social way.

Must buy him new swiffer, his just broke.... He brings in swiffers and vacs and everything. Heh. His teacher last year LOVED him for this.

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#20 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 4307 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:05 AM

Anna, can I borrow your son for the weekend?

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.