Photo
- - - - -

started Cytomel for depression, anyone else?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SmilinSneakers

SmilinSneakers

Im gonna Make-it!

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:54 PM

I am one of those depression patients who is un-responsive to prescription meds, counseling, and ECT. I am now taking fish oil, Sam-E, and just started Cytomel which is a thyroid medication..has anyone else taken cytomel? what's the side effects? did it cause you to loose weight?

#2 resonance

resonance

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 2834 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:57 PM

I'm taking it, technically for bipolar, but it fixed a lot of things that are very thyroid-related (way too cold, difficulty thinking clearly, etc.).

Zero side effects. No effect on weight but I've been taking it for like a month and a half.

#3 SmilinSneakers

SmilinSneakers

Im gonna Make-it!

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:18 PM

Yeah, I'm bipolar type 2..and have no real highs, but real lows..are you taking anything else besides the cytomel? Im taking sam-E, and fish oil with the cytomel..I hope I dont have to get back on a anti-depressant cause they make me blow up and do very little to help. Im taking 25 mg of cytomel, what are you on?

I'm taking it, technically for bipolar, but it fixed a lot of things that are very thyroid-related (way too cold, difficulty thinking clearly, etc.).

Zero side effects. No effect on weight but I've been taking it for like a month and a half.

#4 resonance

resonance

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 2834 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:41 PM

A bunch of stuff:

lithium (1200), lamictal (300), seroquel (75), klonopin prn (.25), cytomel (25mcg)
gabapentin (1200), imitrex for migraines
albuterol, oral birth control

#5 KatM

KatM

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:19 AM

Took it for depression along with an AD (last one was Lexapro), Topamax, Ativan and Seroquel.

That combo worked pretty well for me. It took a lot of tweaking to get to a point where I was stable. I was actually finally able to get off meds in Dec of 05. Had some rough patches since then, but now doing ok for the most part.

#6 scream_phoenix

scream_phoenix

• Pip
  • 339 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:22 PM

god, i wish i was on it for depression, and not replacement for having my thyroid freaking nuked by the dumbfuck american association of clinical endocrinologists. feeling depressed and energy-less is way better than having a functioning metabolic system. thanks docs!

i'm on a combination of regular and compounded cytomel, which has kind of been a pain in the ass to get right. too much regular cytomel and i'm a boiling stew of stress hormones. compounded cytomel is a little bit easier to handle, but makes me hypothyroid. i think i need more regular cytomel than compounded, but i'd rather not deal with the added stress hormones. the cytomel doesn't give any of you stress or anxiety problems?

Dx: OCD, PTSD (Depression and Anxiety throughout)

Rx: Klonopin 1mg x 2.5 day, Celexa 60 mg, Lamictal 200 mg, Seroquel 300 mg

#7 SmilinSneakers

SmilinSneakers

Im gonna Make-it!

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:02 PM

yeah, I think it is giving me some axiety..and Im a real hard to treat patient..what exactley is compound cytomel? I have over weight issues, and having a over active thyroid instead of axiety would surely be a blessing.

#8 scream_phoenix

scream_phoenix

• Pip
  • 339 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:24 PM

yeah, I think it is giving me some axiety..and Im a real hard to treat patient..what exactley is compound cytomel? I have over weight issues, and having a over active thyroid instead of axiety would surely be a blessing.

compounded cytomel is regular cytomel bound together with methocel - which the pharmacist at the compounding pharmacy when i first got it told me is a "gummy-like" substance, which it takes awhile for the body to break down. so its released at a slower rate into your bloodstream over the course of twelve hours as the body breaks down the substance its bound with. i had read in mary shomons 'living well with hypothyroidism' book that its good to take a compounded version of cytomel if you do take it for thyroid replacement, because regular cytomel is pretty harsh on the adrenal system. and i definitely found that the case when i tried to switch back to regular cytomel at a higher dose on my doctors orders a couple of months ago. i instantly returned to being a huge stress case and it was definitely worsening my mental health. i guess its a trade-off: regular cytomel can give you that burst of mental sharpness and energy which makes you feel good - but too much will just tax your adrenal system and make you feel worse.

i really doubt that compounded cytomel would be prescribed for depression, since its such a slow absorption rate. i think that's why i still feel tired a lot of the time on it. i think i'm going to switch to more regular cytomel than compounded. i finally asked the compounding pharmacist about it, after my TSH levels had gone up and my doctor wanted me to switch back - since my endocrinologist had never prescribed it before. the pharmacist said the compounded is typically prescribed for wilsons syndrome - which is a separate thyroid disorder that i really don't know anything about. so i'm not even sure its indicated for me, but if i took just regular cytomel it would be in and out of my system a lot faster and generally just wallop me with too much hormone at one time, and then not enough later on.

25 mcg is definitely a lot. that's like half a normal replacement dose for someone with no thyroid. i take 37.5 mcg of cytomel in addition to 200 mcg synthroid - but that's because i can't produce anymore thyroid hormone on my own anymore (urrgh once again gracias doctores)

Dx: OCD, PTSD (Depression and Anxiety throughout)

Rx: Klonopin 1mg x 2.5 day, Celexa 60 mg, Lamictal 200 mg, Seroquel 300 mg

#9 Guest_kathryn_*

Guest_kathryn_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:09 AM

A bunch of stuff:

lithium (1200), lamictal (300), seroquel (75), klonopin prn (.25), cytomel (25mcg)
gabapentin (1200), imitrex for migraines
albuterol, oral birth control

---i hate to say this... but having gone though many psychiatrists i have found that less medications the better. 2 moodstabilizers, anipsychotic , benzo... i have bipolar 2. but-- over medicating i have found it a common theme and not always the best solution.
i take lamictal 400mg, klonpin 2mg (getting off) and just started generic cytomel. cytomel from my lack of response to other medications... i mean as if bp 2 weren't bad enough ;) either way. hope all is well. do you sleep eat btw??? bc on seroquel=== ugh... it was horrible!
well anyway- my current doctor takes things slow (which can drive me crazy bc i'm used to instant gratification--or prefer it...and kinda--- the less the better... i dunno... just a thought)

#10 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:11 PM

---i hate to say this... but having gone though many psychiatrists i have found that less medications the better.

Maybe you should limit your worries to your own pill count, and consider yourself lucky that you may not have as many illnesses to manage as resonance has.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#11 Guest_Totya_*

Guest_Totya_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:12 PM

I am one of those depression patients who is un-responsive to prescription meds, counseling, and ECT. I am now taking fish oil, Sam-E, and just started Cytomel which is a thyroid medication..has anyone else taken cytomel? what's the side effects? did it cause you to loose weight?

Same here I an not take any meds for my bi-polar/depression. I am taking the axact same stuff. I feel weird ups and down in thye last few days but only started Cytomel 12.5cmg ten days ago. Hopefully it will levels out. Also taking Sam-E, fish oil, Vit B coplex. I should go up to 25cmg next week, will see.

#12 Guest_Dorian_*

Guest_Dorian_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:51 PM

Hi Guys and gals-
After entering the hospital around Christmas I read about this Cytomel business and demanded my doctor put me on it. It has made me feel the best I have in years. Not 100% but I too have refractory depression and this ain't bad. I'm on 25mcg, split so its 12.5 2x day. It helps my energy soooo much! Dude,, don't take benzos if u have refractory depression because you will be digging your own hole. Anywho, my endo, who I'm using to monitor my Cytomel levels...okbefore my T4 was mildly low. Since I started taking it my TSH is norm, my T3 is norm and my T4 has gone wayyyy downhill. My endo said that using T3 (Cytomel) when I don't have hypothyroidism "make {my} t$ to go to sleep". Sound like horses9ht to me. I'm getting a second opinion. since I've started it I've gained 20 lbs. Funny thing is that I had gastric sleeve and I only lost 5.5lbs. And now I'm 20lbs heavier than Before my surgery! anywho, obviously I'm pieved about this. My count is.... RESEARCH!!!! Research everything and stand up for yourself!

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.