lamictal anxiety

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 hollywoodfreaks

hollywoodfreaks

• Pip
  • 837 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:54 PM

I mean, any one of the three meds I'm on could be causing anxiety (Cymbalta and Wellbutrin), but this only seemed to come about when Lamictal was added to the mix. Does anyone know if this anxiety decreases over time? I've been on it for...2.5 months? Presently taking 150mg.
dx: Major depression Current rx: Wellbutrin XL 300 mg, Cymbalta 60mg, Xanax XR .5mg. Just started Ritalin 5mg 2x daily, tapering off of 200mg Lamictal. For sleep: trazodone. Past rx: Lexapro, Zoloft, Cytomel.

#2 faroutwest

faroutwest

reclusive

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:21 PM

I mean, any one of the three meds I'm on could be causing anxiety (Cymbalta and Wellbutrin), but this only seemed to come about when Lamictal was added to the mix. Does anyone know if this anxiety decreases over time? I've been on it for...2.5 months? Presently taking 150mg.

I read your post about how Lamictal helped you with your unipolar depression, and you also now seem to be having anxiety problems. This is just me, but I had (have) major anxiety aggression irritability issues to work with in taking this Lamictal. If it weren't SO worth it for depression, I'd throw in the towel, but this stuff has been my salvation too with depression. It's that nasty nastiness side effect that drives everyone to distraction with this stuff. Even 25mgs can make such a difference to me, not only with the depression, but also with the irritability and even weepiness. What I've finally got going now is 200mgs,which is the best spot for depression for me and an augmentation AP PRN stash for if and when I start getting feeling too good. It's sad that there's such a thing as feeling too good, but for me there is. The next thing I would get on 200mgs after a while would be the dreaded manic aggresive irritability and actual rage. Bummer. I really feel for you on this one. Finding the right dose is only half the battle apparently. Staying on the right dose and steering yourself along a razors edge seems to be the other half of the battle.
Yeh, to answer your question...Lamictal causes this anxiety. But HANG IN THERE! It's really worth all the crap in the end. Good luck! Hope you find your "sweet spot" soon.
Lamictal 200, Klonapin 1mg 3times, Respridol PRN
seasonal effective bipolar(garden variety) with psychotic features(been there,done that) and general anxiety disorder(unnerved and why not?)

#3 synthetic

synthetic

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 682 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:18 PM

I had to stop taking it because it made my anxiety worse.

Dx: BPsomething, General Anxiety, Social Anxiety
Rx: DepakoteER 1500mg, Seroquel 800mg, Topamax 100mg, Klonopin PRN, Lovastatin 60mg for high cholesterol caused by Seroquel
Meds that are evil: Lexapro, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Lamictal
Meds that didn't work: Lithium, Lorazepam, Geodon

#4 Guest_Guest_Liz_*_*

Guest_Guest_Liz_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:44 AM

Hey,
I was wondering if the anxiety with the Lamictal ever leveled out with you. I am also experiencing highly intense anxiety ever since I started Lamictal and Im only on 50mg. I have had major anxiety problems my entire life so I wasn't sure if it was the lamictal or just a flare up in anxiety. Let me know how you are feeling now.
Thanks,
Liz, nyc

#5 misscat

misscat

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 06:58 PM

I've been on Lamictal for 2 months now, am titrating up, presently on 100 mgs. Didn't notice any real anxiety until I reached the 100 mg dose. Thinking of asking my NP to put me on buspar, I don't like taking benzos.

Miss C.
Dx: Bipolar II, anxiety Rx: Lamictal, prozac, topomax

The light at the end of the tunnel is probably an oncoming train...

People are bastard covered bastards, with bastard filling.
DR KELSO, Scrubs

#6 Guest_Michael_*

Guest_Michael_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:55 PM

I just started on Lamictal and it is driving me into an intense, sustained panic attack. I am on 25mg to buildup but my Dr. says the Lamictal should be actually reducing the anxiety, not causing it. I am on 150mg/d of Effexor for depression and anxiety and we added the Lamictal to provide some mood stabilization. Does anyone know if this anxiety is just part of my body adjusting to the new drug or should I quit now?

#7 Guest_ClaudiaP_*

Guest_ClaudiaP_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:51 PM

I just started on Lamictal and it is driving me into an intense, sustained panic attack. I am on 25mg to buildup but my Dr. says the Lamictal should be actually reducing the anxiety, not causing it. I am on 150mg/d of Effexor for depression and anxiety and we added the Lamictal to provide some mood stabilization. Does anyone know if this anxiety is just part of my body adjusting to the new drug or should I quit now?

Just for balance I want to say that Lamictal KO'd baseline anxiety for me. It came back with some major life triggers, but 1/4 ativan as needed helps with that. Anyway, just in case people are worrying that Lamictal will make them anxious I want to say for many it has the opposite effect.

#8 Guest_200mg/9 months_*

Guest_200mg/9 months_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:44 PM

I am so happy to find this site.

Over the past 6-7 months I have had waves of anxiety attacks that made me think that I am going mad. I have always had anxiety, but now I am crippled by it. I have constant sense of dread (again, I had that before Lamictal, but was able to function and get on well enough, which was not really well enough), and now I am basically crippled by it. Everything--everything--scares me.

I thought I was just going crazy--my family has history of paranoia and schizophrenia--because my doctor keeps assuring me that Lamictal reduces anxiety, but now I can see that many others on this med are experiencing this.

I don't know what to do. I think Lamictal has helped my depression (I am only on Lamictal--I am done with anti=depressants after trying them for 20 years), but my mood seems more chaotic because I am always scared, anxious, and nervous.

Even klonapin is not helping.

Ahhhh.

#9 betcsu

betcsu

I'm thinking of one....

• Pip
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:02 PM

i had a higher anxiety level when first starting lamictal (25mg) it leveled out after a couple of weeks. im only titratating up an additional 25mg every 3 weeks. when i went up to 50mg, the anxiety went back up. i have one more week to go before i titrate up to 75mg and the anxiety has again leveled out. we'll see what happens when i titrate up to 75mg next week.....

but my point, i found the anxiety has increased with each dosage increase but has leveled off after a couple of weeks each time.

If I don't remember it,
it didn't happen!

[link=http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=103&" target="_blank]come read my crazyblog![/link]
dx: bp 1, sa, gad
current rx: am: lamictal 100mg, pm: celexa 20mg, hydroxyzine 25mg prn

#10 Guest_Friend_*

Guest_Friend_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:24 PM

I have been on 200 MG at night for 4 months and they started me on 25MG in the morning. I did not know until today that it was causing the worst vivid dreams of my life.
They think it controls mania and I am not as depressed as when I was not on it. I am not sure I can go through another night as bad as last nights dreams.
I am thinking it might be ok to be depressed. I tried to wean myself back to 100Mg and found myself going back to bed in the day. I don't want to alarm anyone and I think this med has some good effects. I sleep more than when I was depressed. Can't seem to put it all together as I have all of my life.
I am not sure what to do. Good luck to you!!!

#11 arbuzby

arbuzby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:34 AM

I've been taking 75 mgs/day of Lamictal (for epilepsy) for a year and a half, and didn't notice any anxiety side effects till last month, when my unemployment stipend ended. I've dealt with anxiety before, but I've never had symptoms like cold hands and feet and shivering, like I'm having now. My neurologist said the Lamictal could be contributing to these side effects, but since I don't want to be on any medications that would slow down my thinking, I should look into how to cope with the anxiety in other ways besides taking another drug. I'm exercising three times a week, looking into yoga classes, and seeing a cognitive behavior therapist. If the weird physical symptoms don't subside, I'll be looking into other options.

#12 Uncreate

Uncreate

Perpetually stuck in a rut.

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:12 AM

When I first began taking lamictal, I was already on klonopin for social and general anxiety. So when I first got on this... it made my anxiety worse and I had to up my dose of klonopin, because I really wanted to see if Lamictal was right for me. So upping the dose for my benzo worked well for me and after awhile the extra anxiety seemed to fade for me.
Conditions: Bi-Polar I, Social Anxiety Disorder, Agoraphobic, Adult ADD, Paranoia, Depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, Constant Mixed States. Medications: Lamictal 400mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Valium 10 mg x 3 a day, Vyvanse 150mg - Body Size: 6'6" (198 cm) 255 lbs. (115.9 kg)

#13 qwerty

qwerty

Everything will be ok.

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:17 AM

I, too, seem to be having some anxiety related to the Lamictal. I think I had a some anxiety problems before while I was on Cymbalta (at least I was getting really sweaty palms which tends to be a sign of anxiety), but it seems to be worse now--at least it's at a level I can recognize it.

I'm currently on 50mg working my way up. It seems to be helping to control my racing thoughts and is helping me to sit still for longer and increasing my attention span, but this anxiety is killing me. It seems to get worse day by day.

I have an appointment with my pdoc on Tuesday. I guess I'll talk to her about it then and see what she says.

If anyone here has learned anything or changed anything, let me know; it'd be appreciated.

Gimme that z, o-l-o-f-t
No longer pissed, and you don't bother me.
I'm makin' it through, I'm givin' my all.
When bases are loaded, I'm whacking the ball.

#14 Zippy

Zippy

• Pip
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:22 AM

It was quite stimulating for me and triggered rapid cycling. Others find it to be a miracle drug.

#15 Guest_Karen Barnes_*

Guest_Karen Barnes_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:53 PM

I, too, seem to be having some anxiety related to the Lamictal. I think I had a some anxiety problems before while I was on Cymbalta (at least I was getting really sweaty palms which tends to be a sign of anxiety), but it seems to be worse now--at least it's at a level I can recognize it.

I'm currently on 50mg working my way up. It seems to be helping to control my racing thoughts and is helping me to sit still for longer and increasing my attention span, but this anxiety is killing me. It seems to get worse day by day.

I have an appointment with my pdoc on Tuesday. I guess I'll talk to her about it then and see what she says.

If anyone here has learned anything or changed anything, let me know; it'd be appreciated.

The same thing is happening to me with the Lamictal. I'm working my dosage up slowly, only at 25mg for last week, started at 12.5mg for 1 wk, but the anxiety is getting worse every day. Even the ativan doesn't seem to help the anxiety. Don't know if I should keep taking it or not.

Karen

#16 √úberpolarbear

√úberpolarbear

i second LunaRufina's member title.

• Pip
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:13 PM

afaik and also from personal experience, lamictal works a bit different at different doses. lower doses cause nasty stuff namely mania (which can sometimes feel like anxiety), cycling, being edgy, being obnoxious *lol* etc.) but when you hit 200 - 300 mg, it is less activating and more stabilizing it might even make you something between mellow to very tired. i went through hell while i was titrating up.

"humor is therapy" (Viktor Frankl)
Diagnosis: [/size][/size]bipolar ultradian rapid cycling, schizophrenia NOS, being a pervert. Yes. this is bipolar. fuck the docs who say i'm schizo. ok maybe it's schizo, Clearly Schizoaffective disorder. Spooky shit!
meds: Lithium 675mg, valproic acid (generic depakote) 1200mg, Clozapine 300mg, Trazodone 50mg, Zyprexa 20mg, Carbamazepine 600mg, lamictal 50mg, valproate (generic depakote stuff) 1750mg Seroquel 600mg (soon to be 800 probably). Zyprexa 30mg, Solian (Amisulpride (AAP)) 600 mg, Lyrica 150mg, Topamax 150mg
, lamictal 25mg

#17 qwerty

qwerty

Everything will be ok.

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:38 PM

The same thing is happening to me with the Lamictal. I'm working my dosage up slowly, only at 25mg for last week, started at 12.5mg for 1 wk, but the anxiety is getting worse every day. Even the ativan doesn't seem to help the anxiety. Don't know if I should keep taking it or not.

Karen

Karen-

I'm finally better with it. I'm not experiencing the anxiety like I was. Keep at it and let us know how it goes.

Gimme that z, o-l-o-f-t
No longer pissed, and you don't bother me.
I'm makin' it through, I'm givin' my all.
When bases are loaded, I'm whacking the ball.

#18 right-o

right-o

Anywho

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:43 AM

I started to have more rapid cycling mixed states after 150mgs of lamictal. Valium stopped working for the anxiety at 250mgs lamictal.
The only thing that did work was adding 25 mgs seroquel. I have a good base-line calm now and the valium works again as an as needed when I know I'll be in an anxiety provoking situation.
I think adding a lose dose AP to high doses of lamictal can do the trick - IMO
Dx: 4 pdocs can't decide between BPI or II. Either way, rapid cycling & mixed states + PTSD + ? =
I'm just nuts and let's leave it at that!
Rx: Lamictal 300mgs, Seroquel 75+mgs, Valium 10mgs PRN
Ex Rx: Nortriptylene, Zyprexa, Seroquel, Effexor, Klonopin, Busiprone, Risperdal
'Despair can ravage you if you turn your head around and look down the path that's lead you here' - Saves the Day
'Excuse my manners if I make a scene...' - weezer

#19 Guest_Michelle_*

Guest_Michelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:52 PM

I am having the worst anxiety of my life. I have been titrating up on Lamictal for 3 weeks now. I am currently taking 150 mgs. Can someone give me hope that this will go away? Sometimes I cant even function at all because of it. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like I am going crazy!

#20 Dr.Faustus

Dr.Faustus

Moody li'l fucker....

• Pip
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:32 PM

Its taken me a couple of months to hit 150....I titrated ultra slow and 150 is the balance point at the moment......trying two hundred when I'm not down in the dumps gets me very anxious and speedy. I don't recommend it but I am a big fan of benzos for all those times when ya gotta show up and not be twitchy......so I'm backing down to regular one fifty ....200 for hellish despair days.

Hope that helps

cheers
You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever,
But you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun.

-Tales of Brave Ulysses

BP : gave up again on Lithium too many sideeffects even at low doses....So I sold the kids and got Lamictal again....
Former Rx : Lamictal, Elavil, Xanax, but Lamictal (even generic) costs too damn much.
......not as much as Lith incontinence at work though......

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.