- - - - -

Seroquel vs. Klonopin

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2005 - 04:15 PM

Wondering how seroquel compares to klonopin?  do they feel similar?  has anyone taken both, but at different times of course?  i have a feeling that seroquel is far more sedating.  what about anxiety squelching?  i've already tried klonopin many times so i don't need descriptions on that.  i'm just curious how it feels compared with seroquel?  thanks.

#2 Sulu

Sulu

• Pip
  • 537 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 04:26 PM

Well I found seroquel acted very differently.  I didn't get that um, nice, sleepy feeling shortly after taking it (I liked that about klonopin, but wasn't long-lasting enough for a good night's sleep). With seroquel I get at least 8 hours of solid sleep.  Hope this helps.  Sulu

#3 username

username

• Pip
  • 425 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 04:45 PM

I often can not sleep because of tourettes syndrome.  Let me explain.  I have a "tic" in both eyes, which causes me to tense them throughout the day.  This turns into a cramp - imagine one in your calf muscle.  Now, transfer this feeling in your imagination to your eyes.  Un comfy huh?  Well, this is what I have to put up with constantly.  What's more, is the fact that the cramp gets worse when I close my eyes.  This = NO SLEEP!

In such a case, I need a conventional sleeping tablet because they usually relax the muscles as well.  Zopiclone or temazepam does it for me.

Now, seroquel makes me just a sleepy as zopiclone or temazepam does, but it does not RELAX THE MUSCLES.

For most, I would say the seroquel is an excellent sleep aid.  For me, it is not at times.

BUT FOR MOST PEOPLE IT SHOULD BE GREAT!  It should be marketed as a sleeping pill over here.  For sure.

#4 sun_zoom_spark

sun_zoom_spark

• Pip
  • 609 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 05:19 PM

I would say it all depends on the dosage. I take both and have found that I can get by with less Klonopin since my Seroquel dosage has been increased.

At small doses (25-75 mg.) Seroquel acts like a sleeping pill but doesn't necessarily act on mania or anxiety for me. At 100 mg. everything changed. Less anxiety even when cutting back on the Klonopin.

I never take more than 1 mg. of Klonopin a day.
DX: BPI mixed, PD

RX: Lithobid, Gabitril, Klonopin, Provigil, Omega 3

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2005 - 05:39 PM

Well I found seroquel acted very differently.  I didn't get that um, nice, sleepy feeling shortly after taking it (I liked that about klonopin, but wasn't long-lasting enough for a good night's sleep). With seroquel I get at least 8 hours of solid sleep.  Hope this helps.  Sulu

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for your response.  I'm a little confused though.  You got that nice sleepy feeling from klonopin but not from seroquel?  i would think that seroquel would give you that feeling except even stronger than klonopin.  Klonopin made me very relaxed and at ease.  It's quite enjoyable.

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2005 - 05:47 PM

Thank you all so far for your responses.  To clarify my question, I'm not only concerned with comparing the two meds on their effects on sleep.  I understand that they both make you sleepy, but how do their other effects on the body/mind compare?  Thanks again.

#7 username

username

• Pip
  • 425 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 06:17 PM

Thank you all so far for your responses.  To clarify my question, I'm not only concerned with comparing the two meds on their effects on sleep.  I understand that they both make you sleepy, but how do their other effects on the body/mind compare?  Thanks again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I have answered how they both affect the body.

#8 sun_zoom_spark

sun_zoom_spark

• Pip
  • 609 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 07:13 PM

Seroquel actually works differently as the dosage is increased. Klonopin doesn't. Increase the Seroquel and it works on mania, anxiety and depression. Increase the Klonopin and it works on anxiety, may work a little on mania and may actually cause depression.
DX: BPI mixed, PD

RX: Lithobid, Gabitril, Klonopin, Provigil, Omega 3

#9 mel1

mel1

mel1

• Pip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 07:31 AM

MY pdcoc had me tapering offklonopin because I was goingup on seroquel, which was supposed to make my anxiety and panic go away. It didn't. So I went baack on klonopin, and mY panic attacks and general background fears went mostly away. I am going up on the seroquel again, but-well. I don't know what else to say. As far as sleep, I sleep like a babe 9 hrs every night.

OH- If you are wondering about side effects-zzzzzzzzzzzz............mel
"I cannot do everything, but I can do something."-Helen Keller
My ADHD mantra.

current dx: Bipolar 2, GAD s/ Panic Disorder, dysthymia, MDD, ADHD
current rx: seroqel- 100 mg-50 am and 50 at bedtime; Lamictal-100-am, 200-pm; Klonopin-.5-TID

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:56 AM

MY pdcoc had me tapering offklonopin because I was goingup on seroquel, which was supposed to make my anxiety and panic go away. It didn't. So I went baack on klonopin, and mY panic attacks and general background fears went mostly away. I am going up on the seroquel again, but-well. I don't know what else to say. As far as sleep, I sleep like a babe 9 hrs every night.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so besides sleep, the seroquel didn't have any other effects on you?  maybe you were experiencing some klonopin withdrawal?  how high did you go on the seroquel?  and what dose was the klonopin?  Thanks.

#11 mel1

mel1

mel1

• Pip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:13 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so besides sleep, the seroquel didn't have any other effects on you?  maybe you were experiencing some klonopin withdrawal?  how high did you go on the seroquel?  and what dose was the klonopin?  Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The seroquel helps alot with rage and agitation. No bad effects-just sedation. Klonopin withdrawal-yes. .5-3times a day-total- 1.5mg perday.

So far I amon 300mg of seroquel
My ADHD mantra.

current rx: seroqel- 100 mg-50 am and 50 at bedtime; Lamictal-100-am, 200-pm; Klonopin-.5-TID

#12 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:16 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The seroquel helps alot with rage and agitation. No bad effects-just sedation. Klonopin withdrawal-yes. .5-3times a day-total- 1.5mg perday.

So far I amon 300mg of seroquel

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if the seroquel sedates you, it still doesn't really help you with anxiety?  my guess, like i said before,  is that the anxiety came from a rebound or withdrawal effect from quitting the klonopin.  maybe after the withdrawal phase, the seroquel will do a better job on the anxiety?  how long ago did you quit the klonopin and as time went on, did you notice a decrease in anxiety?

#13 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:19 PM

messed up typing my last post.  i put it inside your quote.  it's post #12 and starts with "if the seroquel sedates you..."  sorry.

#14 mel1

mel1

mel1

• Pip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:40 AM

It's okay. I don't know the answer to your question . The seroquel helps somewhat with anxiety, but itdoesn't take away my ruminating fearful thoughts and and nightly (not every night) panicattacks, some of which were quite wevere. Right now I am on almost 300 mg of seroquel and I imagine I will be going higher, which is supposed to help more with the anxiety. I don't think it does anything for panic attacks. Hope this helps. mel
My ADHD mantra.

#15 Sulu

Sulu

• Pip
  • 537 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for your response.  I'm a little confused though.  You got that nice sleepy feeling from klonopin but not from seroquel?  i would think that seroquel would give you that feeling except even stronger than klonopin.  Klonopin made me very relaxed and at ease.  It's quite enjoyable.

When I take klonopin, which is rarely, within a half hour I get that nice, relaxed feeling and then I could drop off to sleep.  With seroquel I take it about an hour before bed, spend time on computer, then when I go to bed I usually drop right off to sleep.  Hope this is clearer.

#16 chimpmaster

chimpmaster

Hairpants for hairpants :)

• Inmate
  • 1265 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 07:22 AM

They are really different, both in the way they work and how they effect you.

I personally havent use clonozepam, but i have extensive experience with diazpam (very similar) and alprazolam.

Yes, drugs like klonopin and seroquel can both be prescribed for anxiety.

Serqouel has the following benefits:

- you dont build up tolerance to it, making it more suitable for long term daily dosing
- wide dosage range

In the end though, seroquel is predominantly prescribed for schizophrenia, psychosis, and off label for OCD and GAD.

I personally am taking 400mg/day for OCD and finding it to be very good.  Differs from person to person though - big time.  I am also just coming off an extended period on a high dose of diazepam - 5 days clean now.

Dx : Schizophrenia, paranoid type with panic attacks. Obsessive Compulsive Personality Trait.

Rx : 300mg Clozapine, 80mg Prozac, 160mg Zeldox, 8mg Reboxetine, 20mg diazepam PRN.

Ex Rx: Luvox, Paxil, Risperdel, Xanax, Seroquel, Abilify, Zeldox, Zyprexa, Oxazepam, Tolvon, Prozac, Mirtazapine.

#17 skaz

skaz

• Pip
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:13 AM

Wondering how seroquel compares to klonopin?  do they feel similar?  has anyone taken both, but at different times of course?  i have a feeling that seroquel is far more sedating.  what about anxiety squelching?  i've already tried klonopin many times so i don't need descriptions on that.  i'm just curious how it feels compared with seroquel?  thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are in my experience different.  Klonopin is a very potent Benzo.  It can stay at a steady level in your blood stream for over a day.  If your trembling, or have a seizure disorder, it can help.  What I don't like about the Benzo's is that they are short term fixes. With that said they are generally used as an add on or an PRN to another stablizing med.  You can use them long term with good results, if you don't lean on them. I have a prn for .5 mg of Klonopin and I also have a prn for 1mg of Ativan.  I never use them both at the same time or day.  I use each depending on the what I need. If I'm having a panic attack, and have to go to work, I take the Ativan.  It works faster than Klonopin, but it does not last as long, or make me want to get my pillow out and snooze.

Seroquel works great for me as my primary mood stablizer.  For me, I need the occasional Benzo to get me to calm down.  Seroquel works great at bedtime, but to take it in the morning makes me to groggy to do much besides become like my cat.  What I mean by that is if I take it during waking hours I'm pretty much just going to sit or lay around and not do much.
This can be a good thing, like on days off from work.
To get back to the question, Seroquel does not have the anti-convulsant properties that Klonopin does.  It just kind of mellows you out to the point of sleeep.
Klonopin will do that too.  Taking either during waking hours can make you sleepy in different ways.
Klonopin gives you relaxation to the point where your whole body responds, whether you are awake or not.  The bad side to Klonopin is that it can also make you feel depressed, something that I experienced a few years ago while taking it every day at 2mg for about 6 monthes.
For me, Seroquel calms the mind.  This leads eventually to a calm body.  The thing is that when you need a quick fix, the Benzo's come in handy.
Always fall in with what you're asked to accept.
Fall in with it
and turn it your way.
-Robert Frost

Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar.
-Wordsworth

BP1 GAD
Rx:Lithobid 900mg(discontinuing) Trileptal600mg and climbing ativan 1mg prn : Effexor 150mg and climbing.

#18 dreamless

dreamless

Almost human

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:55 PM

Basically, I found Seroquel too sedating (at 25-75 mg) to use in the daytime, unless it was a day when sleeping or staring into space were options. But used every night, it had some effect on my ruminating thoughts which in its turn reduced anxiety. I rarely have panic attacks, more the constant knot in stomach type.
dx: BP NOS
rx: Lithium sulfate sl 0.6, Lamictal 400mg, Cisordinol 10mg, Valium 5mg PRN but rarely use it
have tried: Zoloft, Celexa, Paxil, Effexor, Edronax, Tegretol, Depacon, Lyrica, Abilify, Fluanxol, Zyprexa, Geodon, Seroquel, Risperdal, assorted benzos and sleeping pills

#19 Ammity

Ammity

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 01:42 PM

jerod,
is it the same metaphor with risperdal and klonopin?  would risperdal calm my thoughts while on klonopin just makes me not care about them as muhc/>
current rx: Lithium 600mgs titrating down from 900, Geodon 60mgs, Cogentin 3mgs, Oracea (Doxycycline), Nystatin, Nexium

Ex rx: Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro, Celexa, Anafranil, desipramine, trazadone, pamelor, wellbutrin, Effexor, Strattera, cymbalta, depakote, trileptal, neurontin, topamax, lamictal, seroquel, abilify, geodon, buspar, xanax, klonopin, Risperdal

they all feckin suck.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.