• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 invictus61101

invictus61101

lost under the surface

• Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:47 PM

My son "hums" while I am rocking him to sleep and it used to be adorable, but lately in my hypomanic state it annoys the crap out of me. I've even tried stuffing cotton balls in my ears. Soft noises bother me too. And my husband's snoring makes me homicidal.

Do sounds bother you too?
Dx - BP1 w/psychotic features/paranoia, OCD, GAD
Rx - 200 mg Zoloft, 10 mg Abilify, Lamictal (tapering), 1 mg Klonopin
Prev Rx - Trileptal, Trazodone, Risperdal, Seroquel, Elavil, Zyprexa, Lithium
Currently unmedicated and feeling great.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not." -- Kurt Cobain

#2 Angeljasmine

Angeljasmine

Heal your inner child

• Pip
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:32 AM

My son "hums" while I am rocking him to sleep and it used to be adorable, but lately in my hypomanic state it annoys the crap out of me. I've even tried stuffing cotton balls in my ears. Soft noises bother me too. And my husband's snoring makes me homicidal.

Do sounds bother you too?

The sound of the telephone bothers me. Having just bought a new home phone I made it a point today to set it to the most soothing sounding ring tone I could find. Nothing too fast or too intrusive.

Some sounds on tv bother me as well, when I have it on in the background, and I have to change channels just to get rid of the 'noise'. For example motor racing and that US wrestling program with those annoying yelling voices.

Trucks engine braking outside my old house also annoyed the CRAP out of me.

To be mindful is to live in the present moment, not to be imprisoned in the past nor anticipating a future that may never happen.

Dx: Dysthymia. Also anxiety, some social phobia, symptoms of BPD.
Current Rx: Seroquel 25 mg or Zopiclone, only when needed for sleep.
Previous Rx: WB 150mg/300mg, Prozac, Citalopram, Aropax.

... Just cry, baby, cry ...
Cause every tear that flows
Falls into the ocean
And rises to the sky
And then the rain will come
... Right before the sun shines...

Lyrics ft. Joss Stone

#3 Thomas

Thomas

• Pip
  • 2051 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:21 AM

The TV bothers me most when the really loud car ads come on. We keep the set pretty low in volume, but some of those car dealers are practically screaming on their ads.

Tommy
Dx:BP1, OCD, Diabetetes Type 2, Hypertension, Gastroparesis & kidney stones
Rx: Abilify 20 mg., Klonopin 6.0 mg., Restoril 30 mg. Cymbalta 120 mg. , Lamictal 400 mg., Cogentin 1.5 mg. Crestor 10 mg. hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg., Hyzaar 100/25 mg., domperidone 20 mg. and Levemir Insulin 40 units, Actos 45 mg.,Proprananol ER 80 mg., Hydrocodone/APAP 40 mg./4000 mg., tizanidine 1 mg., Fiorocet 3 mg.

#4 borzage

borzage

• Pip
  • 511 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:46 AM

Try foam earplugs. My favorite are the Mack's Safe Sound light green ones.

#5 Waterfall

Waterfall

• Pip
  • 357 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:58 AM

The sound of people chewing with their mouths open or chomping on gum like a cow make me insane. I can't STAND it.

General loud noises make me anxious. Sudden noises make me jump and scream. I'm very hypersensitive to stimuli.
"Face piles of trials with smiles.
It riles them to believe
that you perceive the web they weave."

~The Moody Blues

#6 mel1

mel1

mel1

• Pip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:38 AM

I am a teacher and you couldn't begin to imagine all the bothersome noises middle school kids can make. Tapping pencils, drumming fingers, stupid noises, tapping fingernails, throwing calculators across the room....
At home, I have a 5 and 7 yr. old, 3 big dogs, 2 cats and a dh who likes to 1. play racing games on x-box 2. watch nascar for 6 hrs. on Sunday. My dogs barkilng. My daughter's incessant chatter, which is usually cute, but if I'm irritable or manic, get me the earplugs. One of my cats scratches at the window until someone lets him in. The other one bangs on the door. He's de-clawed and the door has just enough space to make it sound like an insane burgular is trying to break down the door. The phone. God, how I hate the phone. I loath the phone.

My daughter eats with her mouth open on purpose just to annoy me. It works. My son makes his "Godzilla" noises. The dogs scratching at the door to get in . Barking.

In my car, my turn signal is so annoying that I usually have to turn it off. Try explaining that to an officer!!

I guess I get sensory overload pretty easily. Especially with sound. But also, I can't stand the sensation of being touched sometimes. It is only when I'm manic. It's like my skin is hypersensitive. It makes my skin crawl to be touched.
"I cannot do everything, but I can do something."-Helen Keller
My ADHD mantra.

current dx: Bipolar 2, GAD s/ Panic Disorder, dysthymia, MDD, ADHD
current rx: seroqel- 100 mg-50 am and 50 at bedtime; Lamictal-100-am, 200-pm; Klonopin-.5-TID

#7 Angelwhore

Angelwhore

nothing if not inconsistent

• Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:12 PM

Hi invictus - yeah, when I'm up or down, I get hypersensitive to noises that don't normally bother me. It's horrible. Sometimes gets to the point where I can't be in the same room as other people, because their very BREATHING makes me want to hit them! Also, people moving makes me angry when my mood's not stable.
I'm afraid I don't know the answer though...I just grit my teeth and tell myself it's part of the illness.
xx

"We are not your kind of people,
Won't be cast as demons,
Creatures you despise.
We are
Extraordinary people..." - Garbage 'Not Your Kind of People'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DX: Bipolar (probably two, but that's never been specified); possible BPD
RX: 30mg Paroxetine daily; 25mg quetiapine at night, as needed

Previous RX: it's probably easier to ask what I haven't been on at some point....!

#8 CastorFache

CastorFache

Beaver, Angry

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:57 PM

Hearing is my super-power...what I mean is that I am the sort of person who can tell you how many conversations are going on in a room, what the opinions are, what sort of birds are singing and I have even been known to replicate a persons typing word for word based on hearing their keyboard clicks.

It becomes really apparant that something is going wrong when noise bugs the ever-loving snot out of me. There are some noises I can handle...generally the ones I make myself.

I can always tell when I am "having a spell" because I get hypersensitive to noises that I usually embrace. It is extremely frustrating and it makes me very very edgy. This morning was a perfect example...just too much noise for me to handle, I had to run and hide in a quiet corner.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"

-- Adam Savage

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

-- Douglas Adams

Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is time enough.

--George Bernard Shaw

Castor Fache is currently: BP II with SAD and perpetual crankiness.
Today's Drugs are: Lithium 900mg, Topamax 50mg (mostly for migraines) Lamictal 150mg, Invega 3mg

#9 Alyson

Alyson

Could I use your personal identity, I don't remember mine?

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:49 PM

yes, i am very sensitive to noise.
i feel that loud talk is aguing, and arguing is a big fight, so on, it all just so tightens up my muscles and makes me want to just go hide.

loud tv is one of the worse things, and commercials are the worse, next tv will have the auto adjust for commercials or block of commercials i hope all together, i find them very offensive.

i could never go into parents house stay long for my dad had tv always blaring, he was drunk in the ole laz boy with scotch in hand and the whole surround system blaring through the entire house, so it felt to me.

maybe why tv one of the worse, and sign of me being set off.

I could always imagine myself as teen, early twenties, picking up that huge tv his love, then again later his sanctuary, and just throwing it out the window.

Yeah, I keep tv soft.
"Down from the Bridge", from soundtrack of Down in the Valley >>
please click on link above to go to hear song, it is truly beautiful.

The movie is quite very good, and very haunting of my own teen years.
Almost as if watching myself at times, and my one younger brother.
Us in the middle together, the two blonde blue eyes.
And yes, the Police Captain Dad. And the fact of no Mom in the House.
Well never at the times when seem needed.
Oh no, then so conveniently gone.
Strange how some movies are just so close to life that way.
Funny how some stories later, when you finally decide to challenge them, they don't hold up.
But, then you really didn't believe them.
I guess that was just convenient at the time.

#10 Maddy

Maddy

Shadow of nothing

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3970 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:58 PM

YES! Noise bugs the shit out of me but not only when I'm manic/hypo.
But that may have something to do with the HFA.
Especially really high pitched sounds, like the bats around here that keep me up at night.
The TVs, the microwaves and the like.
Fluorescent lighting is the devil. Not only for the sound but for the horrific flickering thing it does as well.

RAWR!

(a slightly climbing the walls Maddy)

I <3 my meds!
DX: undifferentiated schizophrenia
RX: Fanapt, Topamax, Ativan, Celexa

Past RX: Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, Remeron, Strattera, Trazodone, Lamictal, Neurontin, Depakote, Lithium, Vistaril, Buspar, Clonidine, Tegretol, Gabitril, Keppra, Depakene, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Haldol, Abilify, Saphris, Adderall, Valium, Primidone. I know there are others I've forgotten over the years.
Boards I mod: Schizophrenia & Various Psychoses, Hormone & Glandular Problems, any others as needed.

#11 Alyson

Alyson

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:16 PM

Maddy, I have that and always did too, to the lighting, those bulbs drove me batshit!
My eyes would start twicthing to the blinking, and headaches so bad!
I honestly had to quit jobs because of them.
I am so happy to hear about all the way offices are trying to become more light friendly with sunpanels, cubicles that absorb daylight, and so on. They finally are catching on that it does effect ones productivity, and total well being.
Well some corporations, sadly not enough.
Or malls, stores, etc.

I can not touch styrofoam, i hate the feeling and the noise it makes when you pull it out of a package, i just can not do it!
I must cut the entire package all away from it, and remove the styrofoam as if toxic waste so carefully to trash container not allowing any to move, touch so it will not make that god awful sound, and feeling!

Please just use bubblewrap, that is so pleasant, so much fun!
And i do save, reuse!

Funny how some stories later, when you finally decide to challenge them, they don't hold up.

#12 Dark_Princess_78

Dark_Princess_78

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 06:57 PM

I'm with everyone- I can't STAND noise of any sort, even when I'm not in an episode. It gets worse when I'm manic, but is always there.

There is all the noise from our constant, upbeat music at work (I'm a personal trainer), and the clients chatting, and people jumping in the water (the diving sound, when they go into the water, scares the crap out of me!).

Then there is the phone. I HATE the phone. It is probably my worst nightmare when it comes to bothersome sounds. I jump 10 feet and my heart rate jumps sky high when the phone rings. #$^#$^#GFHDSTH!!!!!

Any little noises bother me too.

Oh, the worst (besides the phone) is the music coming from the church behind my house at noon and 5:30 every day. I'm at work during the day usually on M-F, so I don't hear it on those days, but on the weekends or when I"m off during the week, there go those bells. They play for a good 5 minutes! It is LOUD and ANNOYING. I'm not sure why they're allowed to play them. IMO, they disturb the peace more than create it, like church bells are "supposed" to do.

DP78
DXes (crazy factors)- BP2, ADD inattentive, generalized anxiety disorder, anorexia (in remission)

Other Happy Stuff- Cats, lots of dancing, lots of chocolate, good books, fun with friends, fun with family, running, and roses for Valentine's Day (awww- like I ever get these!). Of course, my son is at the top of my list!

#13 cagedmanic

cagedmanic

Cagedmanic

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:35 AM

Yep--I believe I have SUPER POWERS--
I can watch tv and hold down a conversation on the phone while screaming at 1 or more boys over something they r doing. Yet, I can't stand the sound of the phone ringing or the tv going or 2 or more people talking at once.I do not answer my phone--ever--thats why they make voicemail--yet sometimes I can't bring myself to listen to the messages.I can pick up on the tinyest noises and must go to sleep with a fan on high to get any sleep--else I sit up twitching at every sound. I can smell stuff that no one else in the family does, and usually its not nice smells. I always seem hotter or colder than everyone else. I hate to be touched unless its for sex--then its u better just get to the point ;) no rubby-dubby.Yet when I am manic I run around with my headphones on, music blaring, to drown out all other noises or voices. Go figure...
All of these powers happen everyday, manic or not, but when manic ---it is overwhelming.

Even if I say It'll be alright----Still, I hear u say--- u want to END your life
Now and again we try----To just stay alive
Maybe we'll turn it all around -----Cause its not too late
Never too late.....Three Days Grace

When life seems out to get u...Duck & Run & Take Cover !!!
Wanna change your life? Start by changing your mind

DX:Rapid-cycling Bipolar OCD,& PTSD with Migraines from hell.......RX:Depakote & Klonopin

#14 Alyson

Alyson

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:00 AM

Of course the phone, ugh the phone!
I got that really newest, well been around for year or so, seen in all the movies now, vtech phone, that you just plug in all the cool sleek extensions too, that you can download your own tunes for ring tone, and for each person, and pics for each person, and so on.....
I still turn the frickers volume all the way down to niche!

No way around this, hyper-sensitivity, now is there?

#15 Sophia85

Sophia85

• Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:14 AM

Since I moved home from school for the summer I am going out of my mind. My family consists of 2 brothers (13 and 11), sister (18), 4 cats , dog, hamster, turtle with filter that runs nonstop, etc etc etc.... The best I can do is shove my ipod in my ears and blast the music.
Shana

Dx: Schizoaffective Disorder Bipolar Type, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Bulimia Nervosa (in recovery), L5 Radiculopathy

Rx: Abilify 30mgs, Topamax 300mgs, Wellbutrin XL 300mgs, Lithium 300mgs, Xanax 1mg PRN,

"But I tell you life is sweet in spite of the misery" -Natalie Merchant

#16 mel1

mel1

mel1

• Pip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:59 AM

Here's the worst noise ever: fire drills at school. Horribly, exceedingly loud clanging paired with bright red flashing lights that make you feel like you are going to go blind or insane, or perhaps throw down and have a tonic-clonic, even if you've never had one.
"I cannot do everything, but I can do something."-Helen Keller
My ADHD mantra.

current dx: Bipolar 2, GAD s/ Panic Disorder, dysthymia, MDD, ADHD
current rx: seroqel- 100 mg-50 am and 50 at bedtime; Lamictal-100-am, 200-pm; Klonopin-.5-TID

#17 Guest_chicagopm_*

Guest_chicagopm_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:16 AM

The sound of people chewing with their mouths open or chomping on gum like a cow make me insane. I can't STAND it.

General loud noises make me anxious. Sudden noises make me jump and scream. I'm very hypersensitive to stimuli.

#18 kjauron

kjauron

• Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:31 AM

Oh god yes, I'm hypersensitive to tons of noises regardless of my mental state, though it is worse when hypo/manic.

The worst for me...flies buzzing. I really think if forced to listen to that sound long enough I could kill somebody, especially if I'm in an agitated state already. Any kind of high pitched beeping like an alarm will send me into a panic attack quickly, same with anything that resembles a tornado siren (I live in tornado alley). My husband has been sent on missions through the house many times after I hear a slight beep or something to make sure something isn't on fire or anything. ;)

The phone doesn't bother me at all though, weird.
current dx: "bipolar affective disorder type II with borderline tendencies" / panic & anxiety NOS, social phobia, OC tendencies, GID
current rx: currently on a no-med trial

#19 beetle

beetle

• Pip
  • 804 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:47 PM

YES! Noise bothers the crap outta me. I've ranted about it more than once on here. It's one of my biggest issues actually. Even though the tdoc and pdoc don't agree. But it's what sets me off so, it's pretty damn important to me.

I hate low frequency sound. Like the idiots with the bass cars, or loud exhaust, lawn mowers... the kind of noise that penetrates walls and gets into my home. Pisses me right off. Sends me into a horrible state.

I get really annoyed over barking dogs too but usually in my house with the windows and doors closed I can't hear anyone's dog barking. It would be a huge problem if I could.

I don't know what it is about noise that sets me off. I think I could be a lot happier if it didn't bother me so much. It's part of the reason I don't even like spending time out on my own property.... I gotta hear other people's obnoxious noise. ;)
Dx:
"My working Dx is Bipolar. Yes, there seems to be some HFA traits." ~my pdoc
Possibly BP II ~a Psy.D

Rx:
AM Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Ritalin LA 30mg, Klonopin .5mg,
PM Geodon 160mg, Klonopin 1mg

Dx past: BP NOS w/ schizoid tendencies, Double depression, MDD or something
Rx past: Lithium+prozac, tegretol+paxil, effexor+wellbutrin, lexapro, cymbalta, provigil,
zoloft+ strattera, abilify (twice)+wellbutrin, lamictal+wellbutrin, risperdal, trileptal and a dash of xanax and klonopin

#20 divinedesign21

divinedesign21

Pink Panda

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:29 PM

I thought I was the only person in the world with this super power.

Phones don't bug me but most other sounds do. It's so bad that I wear headphones all day to listen to music so I don't have to hear other people's tapping, rapping and clapping sounds. At night I have a air purifier that serves as "white noise" and a fan next to my bed. They drown out the sounds coming from outside so I can sleep.

What really bugs me is when people scratch themselves. It's like I can hear it in supersonic mode. The scratching sounds like claws on a chalk board. Weird, huh?
I'M NOT CRAZY-I'm JUST A LITTLE UNWELL
Dx: Bipolar Disorder/Borderline Personality Disorder

600 mg. Trileptal, 50 mg. Zoloft , 150 mg. Trazodone

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.