Anyone take Adderall & Effexor?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 tek

tek

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:51 PM

Just curious to hear experience/input from anyone that takes both Adderall and Effexor simultaneously...

I've been on Adderall for a little over a year (with a 4 month med break last Fall/Winter), and started Effexor yesterday for depression (I seem to be "resistant" to plain old SSRIs ;) ). My pdoc says it's possible that I may end up needing less Adderall due to Effexor's impact on norepinephrine, but I'm far from the Effexor dose needed for that.
REMISSION FOR THE WIN!!!!

Dx: ADD, recurring major depression (w/ anxiety), initial insomnia
...CSMS (chronic shitty mood syndrome), BHLFBBM (bad habits learned from bipolar borderline mom)

Crap down the trap: Lamictal 200mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Provigil 200mg, Ativan 0.5 mg BID, Seroquel 50-100mg bedtime

Ex-Rx: Adderall XR, Adderall IR, Lexapro, Prozac, Effexor XR, Abilify, Risperdal, Ambien, Klonopin, Lunesta, Propranolol, Kephlex, Bactrim

#2 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:15 AM

Just curious to hear experience/input from anyone that takes both Adderall and Effexor simultaneously...

I've been on Adderall for a little over a year (with a 4 month med break last Fall/Winter), and started Effexor yesterday for depression (I seem to be "resistant" to plain old SSRIs ;) ). My pdoc says it's possible that I may end up needing less Adderall due to Effexor's impact on norepinephrine, but I'm far from the Effexor dose needed for that.

I haven't been on that combination myself, but if you are benefiting as much from Adderall's effect on norepinephrine release and reuptake as its effect on dopamine release/reuptake, then your doctor is probably right. I'm not sure how you'd know until you get to that point though.

At least one of our now-less-frequent members is on that combination, and it seems to have been a success.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#3 Sunshine

Sunshine

• Pip
  • 866 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:02 PM

I was on Adderall and Cymbalta, which is as close to Effexor as anything else. I never found that I could get by with less Adderall, but since depression can exacerbate ADD symptoms, alleviating the depression may cause you to need less Adderall.
Diagnonsenses: Major Depressive Disorder (recurrent, in remission), ADD (inattentive type), Chronic Insomnia, Migraines, mild Anxiety Disorder (NOS), and a broken heart (also in remission!).
Current Cocktail (as of 11/17/2011):
~Morning: 20 mg Adderall XR, 3 mg Intuniv, and 1 mg Xanax XR
~Bedtime: 8 mg Rozerem, 5-10 mg Ambien, 200 mg Danazol (for PMDD and migraine), 100 mg Aldactone
~PRN: 2.5 mg Amerge (for migraines) and .25 mg IR Xanax
Previous meds: See profile.

#4 tek

tek

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:51 PM

I took both together for the first time yesterday, and I'd say it wasn't a good day. ;) I was anti-social, irritable, and just plain didn't feel "into anything". Granted, I hadn't taken any Adderall for over a week so perhaps the effect was a little stronger than usual. I felt so agitated and upset by the afternoon that I ended up having to take a Klonopin (which I haven't needed to do in over a week). Then I had to take another one 6 hours later because the agitation returned!

Other than that, I could hardly eat. Adderall alone sometimes suppresses my appetite, but I've been taking it long enough for that particular side effect to be very weak. Yesterday, the idea of putting anything into my mouth other than water (tons and tons of cold water) or soda made me gag. Today, I haven't taken any Adderall and I still have no desire to eat. Could all of this be a sign that Effexor and Adderall aren't going to play nice?
REMISSION FOR THE WIN!!!!

Dx: ADD, recurring major depression (w/ anxiety), initial insomnia
...CSMS (chronic shitty mood syndrome), BHLFBBM (bad habits learned from bipolar borderline mom)

Crap down the trap: Lamictal 200mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Provigil 200mg, Ativan 0.5 mg BID, Seroquel 50-100mg bedtime

Ex-Rx: Adderall XR, Adderall IR, Lexapro, Prozac, Effexor XR, Abilify, Risperdal, Ambien, Klonopin, Lunesta, Propranolol, Kephlex, Bactrim

#5 HaloGirl66

HaloGirl66

Wannabe Timelord

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 967 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:57 PM

I took both together for about a year, 40mgs of Adderall XR and doses of effexor xr ranging from 75-300mg. As I went up on the effexor I noticed no difference on my ADD one way or the other, so I don't think it had much of an impact on my need for Adderall.

Effexor side effects can be funky, it always took me a week or 2 of an uppded dose before side effects like you describe went away. You might want to give it a while to see if it starts working, it's not an immediate thing.

I went off the effexor just because of the horrible rep it has for discontinuation effects. I weaned off of it over a 3 month period so that didn't happen to me thank goodness.
I am *not* any kind of medical professional. I can't spell either. I do the best I can.

My brain cooties: ADD, Wicked Insomnia, SI, Nonverbal Learning Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Periodic Depression and various neurological issues.

Current Meds: 10mg Ambien & 2 mg Xanax at bedtime, 1mg Xanax XR in the morning, 10mg Flexril as needed, 40mg Adderal
Not gonna list previous meds because this signature ain't long enough!

And when I squinted the world seemed rose-tinted
And angels appeared to descend
To my surprise with half-closed eyes
Things looked even better than when they were opened...

M. Gore

#6 affectdefect

affectdefect

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:01 PM

I've taken both, but not at the same time.

:cussing: I am not a medical professional :wtf: :
While one component of Adderall (levo-amphetamine) does work on norepinepherine, it is mostly composed of dextro-amphetamine salts which are dopaminergic agents. It is highly unlikely that taking Effexor will require a change to your Adderall script.

My experience with Adderall has been mixed. When I first started it I was in a major depressive episode, hospitalization, suicide attempts... Anyway, within a week of taking Adderall I had completely come out of the depression (which I had been in for over a year). So as far as that goes, Adderall is my savior.

However, within a few months I began to habituate on it and it was not as effective in the get-up-and-go department. I would totally crash everyday around 4-5pm; could not stay awake.

I have since switched to Stratera (78mg) as my primary ADD med, but my pdoc isn't too impressed with it by itself and is keeping me on a lower dose of Adderall (15mg morning and afternoon). The ADD is pretty much under control and the crashing has gone away. ;)

There is still the problem though, that Adderall is *really* easy and tempting to abuse. :) That's a tough one (for me anyway).

That probably didn't do a damn thing to answer your question... but I hope it didn't add to your confusion :cussing:
"You couldn't be more wrong in feeling that I've invalidated your feelings!"
"Punish your inner child. Severly!" *
"In the garden of life, I am a noxious weed." *

* from the book Negative Affirmations

Dx: BPD, GAD/PD, PTSD.

Rx: Cymbalta 60mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Lamictal 150mg, Stratera 80mg, Adderall 30+20+20mg, Klonopin 1+1mg, Geodon 80mg, Serequil 100mg

#7 KG85

KG85

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:03 AM

I was really cranky and agitated on effexor and adderall. I dont really know if it would have been different if I was just on effexor. However, like "affectdefect" adderall was the first thing to pull me out of really deep depression and anxiety/panic attacks so i've always been really reluctant to quit it because so far I havnt found anything that works as well. Im only on 5mg IR every 5 hours.

#8 tiffi24

tiffi24

school starts 8/28-thanks be to God- Amen

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:45 PM

I am on adderall 30 IR once a day..and on 300 effexor, now weaning down to switch to cymbalta..(my BP is going up..)
I had no bad side effects...I welcome the lack of appetite and nausea ;) I have lost 16 lbs since the adderall..the effexor has appetite changes as a side effect..nausea mainly...and enhanced gag reflex..go figure..
it takes a little time to get used to the effexor..just keep an eye on your self, see what comes and goes as far as side effects..I bet you see it reducing soon...
________________________________________________________________________________
Tiffany ;)
DX~MDD, in remission, ADD-innatentive
RX~Effexor XR, weaning(@150 now)& making lateral move to Cymblata 60 mgs .
Adderall, 30mgs.
Depression is like trying to climb out of a pit-you can reach up to the top,
but when you grab onto the dirt to climb out, it crumbles in your hand...
again and again..you never get a firm grip to climb out

#9 Guest_ashes*_*

Guest_ashes*_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:01 PM

I am currently on both Effexor XR (150mg) and Adderall (20mg 2x/day). I feel like I am slowly going crazy. If I am not totally amped up on Adderall all I want to do is sleep and be by myself. When I am amped up, I am irritable and weird. Almost like I am zoned and when I get snapped back, I either get easily agitated or try to really pay attention and then fade out again.

I've been on Adderall for a little over a year (with a 4 month med break last Fall/Winter), and started Effexor yesterday for depression (I seem to be "resistant" to plain old SSRIs :violin: ). My pdoc says it's possible that I may end up needing less Adderall due to Effexor's impact on norepinephrine, but I'm far from the Effexor dose needed for that.

I haven't been on that combination myself, but if you are benefiting as much from Adderall's effect on norepinephrine release and reuptake as its effect on dopamine release/reuptake, then your doctor is probably right. I'm not sure how you'd know until you get to that point though.

At least one of our now-less-frequent members is on that combination, and it seems to have been a success.

#10 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:33 PM

I am currently on both Effexor XR (150mg) and Adderall (20mg 2x/day). I feel like I am slowly going crazy. If I am not totally amped up on Adderall all I want to do is sleep and be by myself. When I am amped up, I am irritable and weird. Almost like I am zoned and when I get snapped back, I either get easily agitated or try to really pay attention and then fade out again.

Below about 200 mg/day Effexor is believed to act primarily as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. When I was replying to tek last year I was referring to dosages above the point at which Effexor begins to significantly inhibit noradrenaline reuptake - that's a bit more important for people with comorbid ADHD (also some forms of depression, maybe narcolepsy, etc.)

Edited by null0trooper, 06 November 2008 - 04:34 PM.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#11 itsybitsyspider

itsybitsyspider

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:11 AM

I have been taking Effexor XR 150 mg/day for a few months now.

I just added Adderall XR 30 mg/day to the mix yesterday.

I feel great so far.
dx: ADHD, Borderline traits, Anxiety Disorder NOS, Depressive Disorder NOS
rxs: ; Adderall XR 30 mg/day (I have rarely been taking it lately), Lunesta
past rxs: Trazadone, Celexa, Ambien, Lexapro, Prozac, Elavil, Buspar, Abilify, Xanax, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Pristiq

#12 Slorrin

Slorrin

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:39 PM

I am on dexedrine (The primary component of adderall is d-amphetamine, which is dexadrine), 10mg a day IR or alternately, 15mg slow release a day (Depends what i need to get done that day). I just started effexor 37.5 mg, which is the lowest possible dose.

Now obviously everyone is different, but i can't take any more dexadrine than that, because frankly, the sweating and dry mouth and fever and headache really aren't worth it. Neither is the harsh comedown later in the day. But i find taht 10mg is very effective, now that i've acclamated to it, it gives me about 5 hours of serious normal concentratoin abilities!

As for the effexor, i JUST started it, and i found that it gave me a headache. I determined this based on the fact that i get the headache approx 40-60 mintes after taking the effexor, without fail. But its decreasing the more i take it.

As for effexor decreasing your need for adderall.

2 things have to be noted. one, despite the desired function of a chemical on the brain, there are interactions, zillions of little compensitory reactions, your brain is trying to maintain homeostasis, has many mechanisms for this, and they interact with drugs and combinations fo drugs. My doctor, who is both canada's leading expert on adults with ADHD and a psychopharmacologist extraordinaire says "Whateer the mechanism, effexor enhances amphetamines, and vice versa".

What this means is, using them in combination often decreases the dose needed for best efficacy. I used to be on 25 mg of dexadrine, and i felt.. well, high, then angry, then insular, then frozen, etc.. in phases. I got a lot of meaningless houswork done too ;) Now that i'm down to 10, i had settled quite nicely into a kind of good working routine. The effexor has caused my small dose of 10mg to act like a larger dose, and once again i feel increased body temperature, increased "speediness".

Hopefully it settles.

Anyhow, everyone has different experiences. SSRIs had absolutely no impact at all on my anxiety (pre dexadrine anxiety, so not amphetamine related), and i even fell into a depression while on one.. so i'm hoping effexor helps on my perpetual anxiety.

ALSO, when i asked about Wellbutrin, and its many forms, (an NDRI, so on the surface, amazing for ADHD!) my doctor said its seizure risk was the highest of any anti depressant and he didnt' feel good giving a medication with a high seizure risk to someone also taking something that can cause arythmia. I deferred to his wise judgement.

Anyone here been on an NRDI and an amphetamine?

#13 Silver

Silver

Adopt, adapt, improve.

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:18 PM

ALSO, when i asked about Wellbutrin, and its many forms, (an NDRI, so on the surface, amazing for ADHD!) my doctor said its seizure risk was the highest of any anti depressant and he didnt' feel good giving a medication with a high seizure risk to someone also taking something that can cause arythmia.

Huh?

If he's worried about the risk of arrhythmia, then, um, why not run an EKG strip? Or a Holter monitor if he's really concerned? You are an adult, not a little kid; your dose is not high; the risk of arrhythmia above and beyond modest tachycardia is not that impressive.

If he's worried about seizures, then, well, that's a worry and that's a valid concern.
As to the highest seizure risk... OK, yes, highest seizure risk of any antidepressant in common use today.

And why not just hold the Adderall for a few days - the washout's quite quick - and then try the Wellbutrin at a low dose?

Yes, I've been on low dose Adderall and Wellbutrin concurrently, along with some other things at the same time. Is there a question after that?
Bipolar I, other stuff

"Science adjusts its beliefs based on what�s observed
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved."
--Tim Minchin

#14 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:55 AM

ALSO, when i asked about Wellbutrin, and its many forms, (an NDRI, so on the surface, amazing for ADHD!) my doctor said its seizure risk was the highest of any anti depressant and he didnt' feel good giving a medication with a high seizure risk to someone also taking something that can cause arythmia. I deferred to his wise judgement.

Standard-release Wellbutrin is the formulation with the high seizure potential, the Extended-Release version seems to have a risk in line with the more common ADs. That doesn't mean there's no risk, but it's lower.

Some of the TCAs have a well-known associated arrythmia risk that's likely higher than that for WB. As Silver noted, that's something your GP can monitor easily enough (if you have a family history of heart disease it's something your doctor should be watching for, including baseline and annual EKG)

As to NRI+stimulant, been there, still have to do that. (Desipramine + Adderall, used to be WB + Adderall)

#15 Guest_Eric Rowe_*

Guest_Eric Rowe_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:16 AM

Standard-release Wellbutrin is the formulation with the high seizure potential, the Extended-Release version seems to have a risk in line with the more common ADs. That doesn't mean there's no risk, but it's lower.

Some of the TCAs have a well-known associated arrythmia risk that's likely higher than that for WB. As Silver noted, that's something your GP can monitor easily enough (if you have a family history of heart disease it's something your doctor should be watching for, including baseline and annual EKG)

As to NRI+stimulant, been there, still have to do that. (Desipramine + Adderall, used to be WB + Adderall)

I actually had a seizure due to Welbutrin a few months ago, not a good thing :s

#16 Guest_Falconer69_*

Guest_Falconer69_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:37 AM

I am taking Effexor but found it extremely strong. got very out of control emotionally on 150. so now made my way down to 75. Had to take time off work cause of changing my dose though, couldn't handle it. i am normally mostly without emotion but it had me dancing around my living room (def not normal for me). anyway now need to deal with my add and the anxiety it causes. I have tried adderol and it was nice i took 25mg xr, ate fine, had a couple naps in the middle of the effects, clearer thinking. BUT i am a recovered cocaine addict. The addictive potential of adderol worries me and i think my Pyc Dr. even more. not sure if he would even give me a prescription. Anyone got any thoughts or alternate suggestions? (By the way the effexor COMPLETELY got rid of any drug cravings! quite amazing in that way)

#17 Guest_LolaLola_*

Guest_LolaLola_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:35 AM

I had been taking 225 mg of Effexor for about 5 years along with 60 mgs a day of adderall. Effexor has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. My doctor then switched me to Cymbalta and it did not seem to do much so now I am back on effexor and already feeling better. I am also prescribed xanax, which I take "as needed"....although I feel like I "need it...or atleast benefit from it everyday. The one side effect I have been having lately, maybe because I just recently switched back to effexor is constantly feel like gagging. I can control the gagging....it is more like a gagging sensation. When I do gag, I feel better...but its not a good feeling. Xanax doesn't seem to help the gagging either...almost seems to make it worse. Overall, the effexor/adderall combo has been great for me but I know everyone's body reacts differently to medications.

I also tried pristiq for about a year and HATED it. They say it is a "cousin" of effexor but I did not like it. When I was taking pristiq, the adderall seems to not work as effectively, which is interesting.

#18 Guest_lolalola_*

Guest_lolalola_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:40 AM

I also think that less adderall is better than more. Vyvanse (sp?) is another amphetamine prescribed for ADD but is supposed to have less negative side effects than adderall. One dose lasts all day and from what I have been told, it does not make you as anxious/nervous/jittery as adderall. Unfortunately there is not a generic for vyvanse so I believe it fairly expensive.

#19 Guest_lolalola_*

Guest_lolalola_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:44 AM

I am on dexedrine (The primary component of adderall is d-amphetamine, which is dexadrine), 10mg a day IR or alternately, 15mg slow release a day (Depends what i need to get done that day). I just started effexor 37.5 mg, which is the lowest possible dose.

Now obviously everyone is different, but i can't take any more dexadrine than that, because frankly, the sweating and dry mouth and fever and headache really aren't worth it. Neither is the harsh comedown later in the day. But i find taht 10mg is very effective, now that i've acclamated to it, it gives me about 5 hours of serious normal concentratoin abilities!

As for the effexor, i JUST started it, and i found that it gave me a headache. I determined this based on the fact that i get the headache approx 40-60 mintes after taking the effexor, without fail. But its decreasing the more i take it.

As for effexor decreasing your need for adderall.

2 things have to be noted. one, despite the desired function of a chemical on the brain, there are interactions, zillions of little compensitory reactions, your brain is trying to maintain homeostasis, has many mechanisms for this, and they interact with drugs and combinations fo drugs. My doctor, who is both canada's leading expert on adults with ADHD and a psychopharmacologist extraordinaire says "Whateer the mechanism, effexor enhances amphetamines, and vice versa".

What this means is, using them in combination often decreases the dose needed for best efficacy. I used to be on 25 mg of dexadrine, and i felt.. well, high, then angry, then insular, then frozen, etc.. in phases. I got a lot of meaningless houswork done too ;) Now that i'm down to 10, i had settled quite nicely into a kind of good working routine. The effexor has caused my small dose of 10mg to act like a larger dose, and once again i feel increased body temperature, increased "speediness".

Hopefully it settles.

Anyhow, everyone has different experiences. SSRIs had absolutely no impact at all on my anxiety (pre dexadrine anxiety, so not amphetamine related), and i even fell into a depression while on one.. so i'm hoping effexor helps on my perpetual anxiety.

#20 etkearne

etkearne

• Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:36 PM

Yes. I take them together. At one point I was up to 300mg of Effexor with 15mg bid Adderall. I was on them for bipolar depression (along with mood stabilizers). I told the psychiatrist that the Effexor is doing nothing for my depression and making my moods cycle, and now I am coming off of it. My moods now feel much more stable, and I am more calm. My depression is still in remission, due to the Adderall. Most people hate giving stimulants to people for depression, but, let's face it, if you can handle them like a grown-up, they are life saving in high percentages of patients. The only thing more effective is opioids, but doctors are still too reluctant to give them out for depression (I tried!)
Diagnosis- Bipolar Type I - Rapid Cycling, Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Opioid Dependency (in remission)

Present Medications (in total daily dose)- Lithium Carbonate (600mg), Zyprexa (10mg), Suboxone Film (4mg), Efffexor XR (225mg), Concerta (54mg), Klonopin (1-2mg)

Attempts- Imipramine, Amitryptamine, Lexapro, Paxil, Risperdal, Trileptal, Lamictal, Cymbalta, Abilify, Wellbutrin, Seroquel, Adderall

Psychology- Weekly individual therapy, looking to change to new therapist soon!

I recently updated my "About Me" in my profile. If you want to know more about me, please read it.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.