tramadol instant anti depressant for me

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Renster

Renster

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:20 AM

This was discovered by accident but doctor prescribed me the painkiller tramadol about a week ago since I was having severe headaches (ironically caused I think by taking st johns wart/5htp supplement for depression). The thing is i took it late night and had the most beautiful sleep, woke up feeling great and had the best day ive had for many years, I felt stable, happy, alert, plenty of energy, enthusiasm, I felt sociable, I couldnt believe it. I then did an internet search on wikipedia and found that it "appears to have actions on the GABAergenic, noradrenergenic and seretonergenic systems"

This is great in a way but really pissing me off in another way because this is a script drug here in Australia and not approved for depression, though I could say that I have fibromyalgia and ibs which I do have symptoms of and that it relieves pain and maybe get more. Anyone else had it totally illeviate their depression and make them feel great? I remember years ago when i first took cold and flu tablets the pseudophedrine made me feel great too but not as good as this, not a high just a really good, energised happy feeling. It sux really cause the SSRI's do nothign really for my mood and give me the worst side effects, i hate them. Anyone know of any doctors in Australia that would prescribe tramadol for depression?

#2 resonance

resonance

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 2834 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:28 AM

I don't, but what medications have you tried already for depression? It may be a lot easier to see if you can find something similar that will get you the same effect, rather than trying to get a script drug that is not prescribed for depression.

#3 Judy Doom

Judy Doom

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:42 AM

How many times has this happened? Just once or has it continued? That is an important consideration. That said I disagree with Resonance on trying other meds. Whatever works, works and you should figure out a way to stick with it. Have you discussed this with your pdoc? Maybe he will not be reluctant to prescribe it when you point out it has these other benefits.

Edited by Judy Doom, 14 July 2007 - 09:44 AM.

...Personality crisis, you got it while it was hot! Now frustration and heartache is all you got...
NY Dolls-Personality Crisis

#4 SashaSue

SashaSue

Vulpes Bipolaris

• Pip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:46 AM

I read an article by Lauren Slater a few weeks ago in.... hmm.... I don't remember where.... about how she had similarly accidentally discovered that some painkiller or other worked on her depression amazingly well (after years on prozac and maybe other AD's, that had kind of worked, sort of, sometimes) and she found a pdoc who'd been studying it, and who was willing to work with her on it. I kind of think it may even have been tramadol she ended up taking, though it was something else she started with. I'll see if I can find a link, or at least where the article was.
Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD<br />
Rx: Seroquel, 800mg, Lamictal, 150mg, Effexor, 325mg, Wellbutrin, 450, Dexedrine ER, 60mg

#5 resonance

resonance

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 2834 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:13 AM

It would be bizarre for me to say that people shouldn't use meds that work for them! I'm saying that it may be easier to find something more traditional that works than something they may not be able to get prescribed - i.e. it is valuable to explore traditional pathways because you can get those, because it can be very hard to get something that is rarely/never prescribed for depression. For example, stimulants help some people with refractory depression, but they are well down the line. I'm not talking about what should or shouldn't be, just pointing out that you have to work with what is. What "works" is what you can get that works.

Edited by resonance, 14 July 2007 - 10:14 AM.

#6 SunshineOutside

SunshineOutside

Sunshine Outside

• Pip
  • 951 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:29 AM

It would be bizarre for me to say that people shouldn't use meds that work for them! I'm saying that it may be easier to find something more traditional that works than something they may not be able to get prescribed - i.e. it is valuable to explore traditional pathways because you can get those, because it can be very hard to get something that is rarely/never prescribed for depression. For example, stimulants help some people with refractory depression, but they are well down the line. I'm not talking about what should or shouldn't be, just pointing out that you have to work with what is. What "works" is what you can get that works.

Resonance makes good since but if it continues to work for you, I would talk to my Pdoc to see if there is a way to obtain this medication at a reasonable cost. Find out what the risks are. Yea!
I'm so glad you're feeling better! Keep us posted. I'd like to know how it works out for you.

Sincerely,

SunshineOutside
Meds revised 11/5/2009

Bipolar II,GAD,SA

Current: Lamictal 300mg, Lorazepam 1-1/2 per day. Amantadine, Trazadone 150mg, P, Abilify 7.5mg, Luvox 50Mg, Prozac 40mg.

#7 mel1

mel1

mel1

• Pip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:59 AM

I've been taking Tramadol-50 mg. for a couple of years. It is a mild, non-narcotic painkiller. I think, as far as scheduled drugs, it is less scheduled than klonopin. I, too, had noticed the AD effects it has, but, in my experience, that wears off. Like most painkillers, you build up a tolerance quickly, especially if taken dailly. You didn't say what, if any, meds you are on or have been on, but if this is the only one you've used for depression, I would consult with a person about it. Meaning pdoc/gdoc-doctor of some kind. You don't want to self-medicate for depression. And if a dr. even suspects you are using it for something other than pain, there is a good likelyhood that you can say good-bye to your tramadol.
"I cannot do everything, but I can do something."-Helen Keller
My ADHD mantra.

current dx: Bipolar 2, GAD s/ Panic Disorder, dysthymia, MDD, ADHD
current rx: seroqel- 100 mg-50 am and 50 at bedtime; Lamictal-100-am, 200-pm; Klonopin-.5-TID

#8 Renster

Renster

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:24 PM

thanks so much for the replies guys. I have only taken it once but it was such a dramatic effect and total lifting of my mood I know its solely attributable to tramadol, I have 19 tablets left. If i could find something that even had the same effect or worked on the same areas of the brain Id be happy, but all these SSRI drugs don't seem exact science and the times ive had them massive problems with my digestive system, no lift in mood, restless legs = horrible no thanks. I stil have a job and can function but life is just always a struggle and not much meaning, ie long term low to mid level depression. Im also one for trying to do things naturally so im trying now St johns wart and 5 HTP and have ordered on Rhodiola Roscea since ive seen encouraging reports of that, if all else fails im taking another damn tramadol, even if its just a day relief from feeling like this!

#9 mel1

mel1

mel1

• Pip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:30 PM

If your depression is mild to moderate, maybe (don't kill me) if you don't exercise, it would help tremendously to do so. Also, try massage therapy if you can. It is also really good for headaches.
"I cannot do everything, but I can do something."-Helen Keller
My ADHD mantra.

current dx: Bipolar 2, GAD s/ Panic Disorder, dysthymia, MDD, ADHD
current rx: seroqel- 100 mg-50 am and 50 at bedtime; Lamictal-100-am, 200-pm; Klonopin-.5-TID

#10 SashaSue

SashaSue

Vulpes Bipolaris

• Pip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:39 PM

I can't find a link to the Lauren Slater article I mentioned in my earlier post, but here's a link to a study comparing tramadol to AD in rats (it did well for rat depression, for whatever that's worth)

http://www.ncbi.nlm....p;dopt=Abstract

Here's a case study of tramadol induced mania, when it was given for pain management to a woman with no prior history of mania, who'd been taking prozac for unipolar depression for years, which also mentions its possible AD propterties/uses:

http://ajp.psychiatr...ull/158/6/964-a

And then a bunch of things I couldn't access that seemed to be about intramuscular injections of tramadol as a superfast acting AD, at least one of which was in some Australian medical journal. So, it's not like you're the first person ever to have noticed this. This has been being noticed, and studied even since around about 2000 or so. Resonance is probably right though, that you're going to have a hard time convincing most doctors that this is what you need, if you haven't tried much in the way of more conventional AD's first. From the abstracts I was able to get into just now, the thing people do seem to have figured out about it is that, as you've noticed, it works really fast. But they don't seem to know much about how long it will keep working, or what if any the long term side effects of continuous daily usage might be. So my guess is that, unless you've already tried and failed a couple more conventional AD's, a pdoc might be willing to continue you on the tramadol for long enough for something else to kick in, to see how that would work for you, then, depending on how you did with that, consider either augmenting with tramadol, or possibly making it your primary AD. But they are likely to be cautious, considering that its use as an AD is pretty seriously off label and experimental, just about everywhere, at this point. If you're right that tramadol works on both serotonin & norepinephrine, then one you might want to try would be Cymbalta, as it too works on both of those neurotransmitters. And that's interesting, as it's been marketing as relieving both the emotional and physical pain of depression (whatever exactly that means, I'll admit, I've never been entirely clear on that).

ETA: I just noticed your post saying that you're planning to try Rhodiola. If you should happen to find that helpful, you might want to consider trying Wellbutrin (which, among other things, would have the benefit of allowing you to measure your dosages more exactly), as rhodiola, if I'm remembering correctly, like wellbutrin, acts mainly on dopamine, somehow or other.

Edited by SashaSue, 14 July 2007 - 07:47 PM.

Rx: Seroquel, 800mg, Lamictal, 150mg, Effexor, 325mg, Wellbutrin, 450, Dexedrine ER, 60mg

#11 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13062 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:45 AM

Opiates work for most people with depression. The big problem is habituation and depenency.

That's supposed to be less of an issue with tramdol but over time it still happens. I've been looking for stuff on this for another poster here. The gist of what I'm finding that while It works short term, in the long term you get habituated and tolerent to the antidepressant effects and the primary effect becomes one of central nervous system depressant.

Townes Van Zandt puts it this way:

Now Im out of prison
I got me a friend at last
He dont drink or steal or cheat or lie
His names codine
Hes the nicest thing Ive seen
Together were gonna wait around and die
Together were gonna wait around and die

This is funny. Prescribing an antidepressant and opiate at the same time as a treatment for refractory depression has been patented. That can't be legal.

http://www.freepaten...0030087896.html

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#12 Judy Doom

Judy Doom

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:18 AM

I love Townes Van Zandt.
...Personality crisis, you got it while it was hot! Now frustration and heartache is all you got...
NY Dolls-Personality Crisis

#13 SashaSue

SashaSue

Vulpes Bipolaris

• Pip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:23 PM

Aha! Here's a link to the article by Lauren Slater on her use of opiates for treating her own depression that I'd mentioned earlier. It's both her own experience and a look at general addiction theory, and some of the research that's been done on the use of opiates in treating treatment refactory depression.

http://www.elle.com/...-the-dolls.html

And if you've never read any of her memoirs, I strongly recomend pretty much any of them. "Lying," is my personal favorite, with "Welcome to My Country," about her work as a therapist, dealing with her own MI, a close second.

Edited by SashaSue, 16 July 2007 - 06:24 PM.

#14 JenB

JenB

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:50 AM

I found this:

Venlafaxine and tramadol ... share a number of molecular and pharmacological features that may allow for broader and overlapping indications for both drugs. Certain patients with coexisting depression and pain syndromes could potentially be treated with a single agent.

Here is the link: http://www.ncbi.nlm....oSearch=9881825

Tramadol inhibits the reuptake of norepinephrine and serotonin, which contribute to it's antidepressant effect.

#15 N&P

N&P

• Pip
  • 260 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:20 PM

I found this:

Venlafaxine and tramadol ... share a number of molecular and pharmacological features that may allow for broader and overlapping indications for both drugs. Certain patients with coexisting depression and pain syndromes could potentially be treated with a single agent.

Here is the link: [link=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=9881825" target="_blank]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?D...oSearch=9881825[/link]

Tramadol inhibits the reuptake of norepinephrine and serotonin, which contribute to it's antidepressant effect.

I was about to just say that, Jen.

Tramadol works on serotonin...that is why some docs are hesitant to prescribe a SSRI and Tramadol together.
My pdoc just had her first case of serotonin syndrome with only PRN Tramadol and Paxil.

I noticed that Tramadol had AD effects as well but it does lessen over time. It can induce mania but it's rather uncommon. It's more likely to worsen an established mania.

And it's not an opiate but your brain does make allowances for it. Abrupt withdrawal is not advised after taking it long term.

Tramadol for headaches? Funny because it most commonly causes headaches.

I have Fibro and Tramadol allows me to function and is actually effective on pain (unlike opiates).

If it's working for you, GREAT!
Bipolar II rapid cycling, usually mixed, with SAD pattern
Meds: Seroquel 25mg TID (for now) Topamax 200mg, Effexor 150mg, Abilify 7.5mg, Trazodone 50mg

Medical hx: Fibromyalgia, asthma, migraines, autoimmune d/o NOS (til they figure it out) and h/o Lyme disease.
Rx: hydrocodone, PRNs for migraines, medicinal marijuana for pain PRN

#16 scream_phoenix

scream_phoenix

• Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:35 PM

i was on a combo of librium and tramadol briefly back in 2005 and 2006. i used the tramadol sparingly but it did have a lift on my moods, especially if i was in pain to begin with. for example if i was driving in a neighborhood that normally stressed me out and wound me up, if i was on tramadol i'd feel a lift because i think i was in that situation for the first time without experiencing a lot of pain. i think our brains release a good amount of feel good chemicals if pain is temporarily blocked. i think its the combo of the drugs effect, but also the novelty of experiencing stimuli without the requisite pain we are used to feeling that releases a lot of dopamine. that's my theory anyway. i asked for it again some time later and my psych said he was no longer allowed to prescribe it. frickin a

also the pharmacy did tell me that paxil is the one AD that it interacts with - probably metabolized by the same liver enzymes.

Dx: OCD, PTSD (Depression and Anxiety throughout)

Rx: Klonopin 1mg x 2.5 day, Celexa 60 mg, Lamictal 200 mg, Seroquel 300 mg

#17 Silver

Silver

Adopt, adapt, improve.

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:23 AM

Just passing through - I'm traveling.

By and large, with mood effects, I'm leery of anything with an "instant on" effect. "Easy come, easy go" tends to be the rule for drugs used to treat disorders of affect. Instant-on suggests that there's downregulation in the near future, and there isn't any remodeling occurring, just a nice quick lock-on effect. Bzzt. Wrong answer, and often one that leads to dysphoria in the longer run.

Also, my PSA: be aware of the seizure risks of tramadol. I'm aware that there are seizure-prone members here who take it, and more power to them and I'm glad they've avoided that unpleasant side effect. I've seen far too many people take it and seize. I think too many GPs forget this, and I like to keep the seizure risk out in the public awareness.

It's a lovely drug when it works, though, I agree.

I've seen a lot of people come through a Suboxone clinic who were dependent on higher-dose tramadol. It does indeed have abuse and dependence potential, complete with icky withdrawal symptoms. It bloody well is an opioid; it's a mu-opioid agonist, among other things, and it does have some AD potential. It's included in pain management contracts in any savvy physiatrist's office or pain management clinic, and it can certainly be included in a GC/MS toxicology screen by a clever clinician.

Edited by Silver, 26 February 2009 - 12:27 AM.

Bipolar I, other stuff

"Science adjusts its beliefs based on what�s observed
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved."
--Tim Minchin

#18 Guest_Paul B._*

Guest_Paul B._*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:41 PM

This was discovered by accident but doctor prescribed me the painkiller tramadol about a week ago since I was having severe headaches (ironically caused I think by taking st johns wart/5htp supplement for depression). The thing is i took it late night and had the most beautiful sleep, woke up feeling great and had the best day ive had for many years, I felt stable, happy, alert, plenty of energy, enthusiasm, I felt sociable, I couldnt believe it. I then did an internet search on wikipedia and found that it "appears to have actions on the GABAergenic, noradrenergenic and seretonergenic systems"

This is great in a way but really pissing me off in another way because this is a script drug here in Australia and not approved for depression, though I could say that I have fibromyalgia and ibs which I do have symptoms of and that it relieves pain and maybe get more. Anyone else had it totally illeviate their depression and make them feel great? I remember years ago when i first took cold and flu tablets the pseudophedrine made me feel great too but not as good as this, not a high just a really good, energised happy feeling. It sux really cause the SSRI's do nothign really for my mood and give me the worst side effects, i hate them. Anyone know of any doctors in Australia that would prescribe tramadol for depression?

I was really enlightened when I saw this thread. I too had Tramadol prescribed to me, for tooth pain, but found it's real benefit was , exactly as you said, an almost instant relief from depression...great sociability, energy level had increased, and was just overall lifted. Unfortunately I didn't get many and now am thinking of calling my Med check Dr. and letting her know of this great side effect of Tramadol.
I have been prescribed pretty much every antidepressant ever created and had way too many bad side effects to most. The ones that didn't give me immediate bad side effects didn't do anything. I think this Tramadol should be looked at as an alternate antidepressant.

#19 december_brigette

december_brigette

• Pip
  • 2633 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:42 AM

Hi All-

I was going to ask the question - but this thread has been getting a lot of action recently.

anyway - i was rx'd this today because a little person about knocked me out with her head to my nose.

the very little research i did indicated possible anti-depressive effects because of how it works with serotonin. i know im on an extremely high dosage of paxil - so i will watch out.

i'll report my experience. I havent taken it yet because i was waiting to do the research - ive never taken it before.

db

dx: bipolar 1, anxiety, and a little ptsd

current meds:
cymbalta 90mgs
depakote 1500 mg
prazosin 1 mg
seroquel 50 mg

topamax 50mg
xanax 2.50 mg

other meds ive tried: abilify, ambien, effexor xr, lamictal, lexapro, lithium, lunesta, paxil, provigil, tegretol, trazodone, wellbutrin, zoloft.

"I mixed Benadryl and Tegretol one time. Spent three days guessing weight at the Iowa State Fair. Got crabs, and a tattoo, of a crab," Andy on "weeds."

"Psychiatry is just this year's candy pink stove." from the tv show Madmen.

#20 Ophelia

Ophelia

I bitch, therefore I am...

• Pip
  • 3287 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:27 AM

Hi All-

I was going to ask the question - but this thread has been getting a lot of action recently.

anyway - i was rx'd this today because a little person about knocked me out with her head to my nose.

the very little research i did indicated possible anti-depressive effects because of how it works with serotonin. i know im on an extremely high dosage of paxil - so i will watch out.

i'll report my experience. I havent taken it yet because i was waiting to do the research - ive never taken it before.

db

I've been on it since October.

I don't know. Maybe it works a little. I don't think I would use it as an actual primary antidepressant, though.

"Instant gratification takes too long." ~Carrie Fisher

"You're wrong! I do have feelings. I'm an actress! I have all of them." ~Elise Elliot (Goldie Hawn), 'The First Wives Club'

"The defects and faults of the mind are like wounds in the body. After all imaginable care has been taken to heal them up, still there will be a scar left behind." ~Francois de la Rochefoucauld

"It has been said that time heals all wounds. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens, but it is never gone." ~Rose Kennedy

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.