- - - - -

What dose of clonazepam equals xanax?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_andrew_*

Guest_andrew_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:38 AM

Anyone ever suffer seizures from being with without xanax? And if so how much and how often were you taking before u ran out and went into the seizure?

#42 Guest_Heather Seamster_*

Guest_Heather Seamster_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:11 PM

This is for the person that put a smart remark for someone asking how many .25 xanxax does it take to equal a 1mg xanax. I am prescribed the o.5 mg xanax so i'm only guessing here but i think that it would take 4 .25mg xanax to equal a 1mg xanax. Hope this helps. Also for the smart mouth person that commented to your post don't worry about people like that. Some people can be real jerks lol. ;)

Heather

#43 jasperman2013

jasperman2013

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:40 AM

Websites dont mean anything, klonopin and xanax are two completely different drugs (meaning they have different chemical formulas). In my opinion, xanax is wa stronger but has by far way shorter side effects. Klonopin last up to 18 hours while xanax is only 8 to 10. I do not recommend chewing xanax as the side effects will last way less time and the drug will hit you harder. When you take enough xanax, you will most likey withdraw the next day as a result of chewing them. Klonopin I hear are good to chew (if you are trying to get fucked up) but I have never chewed them. I do not believe in chewing an form for anxiety medication as it messes with chemicals in the brain.

#44 princess18

princess18

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:02 PM

i used to take xanax bars recreationally all the time, like 10 a day, and thats bc they would were off quickly and i would need another one,i was buyin them off the street and was sick of it and went to a shrink and now i get 90 1mg klonopin it says take 3 a day and u know what i feel great off them, with takon all the xanax id get belligerent and nod out every where, with the klonopin i can actually function and be buzzed all day, im sure i could take 10 klonopin and be nodding out too but wuts the point if i dont have too, and alot of benzos ppl have there own pref, my mom only likes valium, i got an aaunt who only takes ativan, a friend who loves xanax so i think its all psychological, ppl like wut they like n no chart is gonna tell them dif

#45 princess18

princess18

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:28 PM

This is soooo true I personally think that it depends on the person an how there body reacts I think that xanax is stronger than klonopin an valium...they are sorta on the same level an ativan is the weakest of all but my choice is klonopin it works great for me an I hear that its less habit forming so I will stick to that.....

#46 h3adsh0t

h3adsh0t

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:32 PM

I am going to give you all a drug abuser perspective on this. If you want to get high and nod on clonazepam after you have built up a tolerance(which I am not condoning or encouraging), take it with some Promethazine pills.(Phenergan). Promethazine enhances most medications. When my gf was in the hospital on a Hydromorphone Drip, they gave her Phenergan in her IV to strengthen the Pain Medication post surgery. It's what I take with my Clonazepam when I want it to be a bit "euphoric" or bluntly, to get "high". That's the closest I can get to the feeling 4 to 8 mgs of Alprazolam used to give me. If you don't know what promethazine is used for, it's like a nausea and allergen medication. I took (4) 25mg Promethazine pills and (4) 2mg Clonazepam pills together and I honestly don't remember what happened, but I ended up losing all my stuff, wandering about barefoot on a 105 degree day and getting taken into holding for the night because of a warrant. NOT A GOOD DAY BTW!! But taper the Promethazine to (2) or (3) and it will get you close. I've been on RX Clonazepam because of epileptic seizures (Pedimol) and I am to take (3) 2mg pills of Clonazepam a day. I am also on 120mg Methadone due to drug habit. Now my tolerance to benzodiazepines is so high that I have to take the Promethazine with my medication or a handful of bars with the Klonopin to get high, although currently I am just taking my clonazepam as prescribed and trying to stay away from the drug abuse, but I believed that the user that asked the question originally was trying to figure out how to get high or how to get a stronger clonazepam feeling. Maybe not. *******I believe Xanax has a stronger effect (as in what you feel and how you feel and the onset), but Clonazepam is stronger medically, lasts a lot longer, and is much more useful for my condition. I prefer Klonopin over Xanax but I take both********* so...

P.S. I have got in a good bit of trouble from abusing these meds, so I encourage people to take what they are prescribed, how the Dr. prescribed it, but because of my long history of use and Med RX I have a certain perspective on all of this which might or might not be useful. Thanks for reading. Be safe

#47 area99

area99

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:03 AM

Anyone ever suffer seizures from being with without xanax? And if so how much and how often were you taking before u ran out and went into the seizure?

I was on 8mg xanax and so I got a new doc and he switched me to klonopin 6mg. Now I'm fine with my current dose. Never had anything near a seizure, but during the switch I did have one panic attack from drinking a cup of green tea.
Dysthymia, GAD, OCD ... Citalopram,Remeron,Lamictal,Risperdal,Clonazepam

#48 San

San

Lawful Evil

• Inmate
  • 3881 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:57 AM

I switched from Valium to Xanax and had immediate relief, but felt like I was addicted/overmedicated (I'm not, I just need it) so I switched back.
Bad idea.
I had been taking 20mg Valium (10am, 10pm) and 0.5mg Xanax (3 times a day + 1 PRN)
I had the worst panic attacks of my life those days. I bought every OTC remedy I could find and then hid in my room.
It got worse. So I called my pdoc's office and they switched me back to Xanax.
My pdoc won't go over 2mg of Xanax a day.

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type, ADHD - Inattentive

Rx: Risperdal Consta (37.5mg injection, 2 weeks) Clonazepam (1.5mg) Dexedrine (20mg) Artane (PRN)

Craftasaurus Rex / brainsick bipolar blog / Antipsychotic Comparison Tool

#49 lukasmed92

lukasmed92

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:11 AM

Hello all :)

Remember that there is a difference between POTENCY and EFFICACY.

Potency "is a measure of drug activity expressed in terms of the amount required to produce an effect of given intensity."
Efficacy (or intrinsic activity) "refers to the relative ability of a drug-receptor complex to produce a maximum functional response." (Basically a measure of how well the drug works)

According to the benzodiazepine equivalency chart, 0.25 mg of Klonopin is equivalent to 0.5 mg of Xanax, so one might assume that since it takes less mg of Klonopin to equal a given amount of Xanax, that the Klonopin would be stronger and "It would fuck you up more". However, the chart is only useful in comparing POTENCY, mg for mg. EFFICACY can't be accurately cross calculated because all benzos are unique. For example, Xanax may work better as an anxiolytic than Klonopin or any other benzo for that matter, or vice versa (I haven't really tried to compare efficacies). It may even depend on your genetics and the way your body responds to the medication.

If you want to know which benzo has the best recreational value, you need to compare efficacy, not potency. The greater the efficacy, the greater the effect, and perhaps a better recreational value. But, like all drugs, it may vary from person to person, and different benzos have different effects. One kind may knock you out, and another could make you feel like you're floating haha. It's really just personal preference.

Sources:
Equivalency chart
<http://www.bcm.edu/p...try/?PMID=3450>
Definitions from Wikipedia (haha)

#50 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8898 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:36 AM

If you want to know which benzo has the best recreational value, you need to compare efficacy, not potency. The greater the efficacy, the greater the effect, and perhaps a better recreational value. But, like all drugs, it may vary from person to person, and different benzos have different effects. One kind may knock you out, and another could make you feel like you're floating haha. It's really just personal preference.

Um, no thanks. Recreational use is really not the aim of the forum.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#51 Bytor

Bytor

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:02 AM

How many xanax .25mg equals 1mg xanax and how many .5 equals 1mg

Oh! You meant the question as written! An Arithmetic query, not typos involving checking one's own prostate.

The answer to each question is a single digit, which I'll combine to look like a single number because I think it's high time you and I revealed the question with which Douglas Adams so cruelly toyed with us.

.25 expressed as a fraction is 1/4 and .5 is 1/2 if that helps.
Let me die in my sleep like my uncle. Not screaming like his passengers.

#52 sonicwhite

sonicwhite

The great unknown

• Pip
  • 1087 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:34 PM

Hey guys,

youve really got to watch those equivalency charts.

Xanax is DEFINITELY stronger than klonopin. Trust me.

No other benzo substitutes for xanax. Valium is used to help taper off xanax.

My point is if you are used to xanax you will not get a similar effect from another benzo.

Thats because it's atypical benzo where is Klonopin is just a benzo!

Diagnosed Drug Induced Psychosis...ADHD.....OCD.....Cannibas Psychotic Disorder..GAD.....Major Depression disorder-recurrent...Severe, Bipolar I....Migraines, Cluster headaches.... .

Gabapentin...600 mg once a day....Effexor XR 75 mg.....Risperdal...4 mg..... clonazepam 1 mg twice daily. Seroquel 200 mg once at night.....Prilosec 25 mg in the morning......Inderal 60 mg ER one in the morning. Remeron 45 mg once at night. Naratriptan 2.5 PRN .....Lyrica 75 mg 3x daily....Paxil 40 mg....Prazosin 1 mg......

The sun is a round window into the city of gold.

#53 Fayth143

Fayth143

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

My doctor prescribed me .25 mg of Xanax to be taken twice daily, as needed. I never took them regularly before. Then two days ago I missed my morning pill and by lunchtime I was shaking, feeling anxious, talking fast and had this awful sensation of vulnerability. The only panic attack I have EVER had that wasn’t brought on my external stimuli, and it scared me. My body was addicted to the medicine, just after two weeks. So I called my doc and said I needed something that I could take all the time to relax my system and let me feel normal, and I felt xanax was too intense for me. That I’m not a “panic” person…and I never want to experience what I experienced earlier ever again. We discussed it in great detail and suggested Klonopin.

Then I go to pick up my prescription and the mg on the bottle were .5mg to be taken twice daily. I was confused. If efficacy can vary greatly from person to person...I am taking a big risk here. In what way is it equivalent or not to Xanax? Why was the prescription twice the dose? So, I had to dig. Here is what I’ve found. They are both benzodiazepines with anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) and anti-convulsant properties. They be very addicting. Lets assume for a moment that their efficacy is similar. I did some research and wanted to share my findings:

Xanax elimination cycle is roughly 20 hrs and Klonopin is roughly 40 hrs. I assume that from multiple sources that tell about their half life. I'll just lay out the basic math.

.25 mg of Xanax at an elimination point of 20 hours at first dose say 8am and the second dose around 10pm (14 hrs later) would be .425 mg in the system. After 14 compounded days of the same timed doses would level it at approx .41mg in the system all the time. Using the same math for .5mg of Klonopin at a 40 hr elimination point would mean 14 days later the approx level amount in your system would be 1.6mg!!! Lower efficacy or not...that just seems excessive. AND WE WONDER HOW WE GET ADDICTED AND DEPENDENT ON THIS SHIT. My doctor basically just threw this prescription at me and said they were equivalent. Clearly that is not true. My findings are that Klonopin is approx 52% stronger/more effective, etc because of that, what my doctor should have prescribed was .25mg of Klonopin once daily. I'm so pissed off at the callousness of the system. If you've ever been to a clinic you will find most of the people there are in because of benzos...and now you know most of the reasons why... Now I'm off to buy a pill cutter. And see how it goes.

Edited by Fayth143, 01 March 2012 - 10:28 PM.

#54 Wooster

Wooster

"I need a drink and a peer group." -Ford Prefect

• Admin
  • 5781 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

Fayth,

Please consult your doctor and/or pharmacist. There may be a rationale for the dosing that you weren't able to come up with on your own.

ETA- Most pharmacists I've met are MORE than happy to geek out on the pharmacology with you.

Edited by Wooster, 01 March 2012 - 11:16 PM.

Boards I mod on: self harm, panic/anxiety, ptsd, ocd, dissociative, sleep, not otherwise specified, benzos, lifestyle alternatives, therapy, health care system

Current meds: 60# golden retriever service dog, (swellbutrin, light box, vitamin D for the impending lack of sunlight blahs)

*disclaimer--Nothing I write should be construed as professional advice or creating a therapeutic relationship.*

Hurray! I *finally* figured out how to correct my starting weight on MFP!
21850981.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

#55 2Spirals

2Spirals

Keeping this human mind entertained.

• Pip
  • 738 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

Maybe I should ask my pdoc about xanax. I currently tae 1 mg of klonopin as needed, but lately I've been so anxious the pdoc over the phone said I can double the dose so now I take 2, but it is not working anymore. I am still vomiting and shaking from anxiety. Do you think xanax would be a better fit if the klonopin has stopped working well for me? Or should I try some other type of drug to supplement the klonopin like a different SSRI (I am on citalopram which is obviously not working like it should be)? Thoughts? Of course its up to this new pdoc I am seeing, but I wanted to get some opinions from here too...

Diagnosis: Bipolar I, Generalized Anxiety Disorder & Panic Disorder
Medications: Lamictal 200mg, Lorazepam 2mg (PRN), Clonazepam 2mg
Old Medications: Buspar, Paxil, Lexapro, Lamictal, Topamax, Geodon, Clonazepam, Abilify, Seroquel XR, Citalopram, Risperidone, Seroquel IR, Viibryd, wellbutrin

#56 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 19751 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

I haven't read all of the posts, but when comparing klonopin and xanax, they are both benzos but otherwise to me equivalencies are like comparing apples to oranges.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran, Iron.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#57 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8898 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:04 AM

And Fayth, rebound anxiety when you miss a dose of your anti-anxiety medication does not indicate addiction. It actually might indicate the med was doing its job, until you missed a dose, thereby disrupting your blood level

Plus, physical dependency is not the same as addiction.

If my husband misses a dose of his seizure meds, he has a seizure: Not because he is addicted to lamictal and lyrica, but because his levels dropped too quickly. The same goes for Xanax, klonopin, and the majority of psychiatric medications, like ACs, and some antidepressants. among many others. They take time to work completely, and they take time to come off of completely.

I'm dizzy with sleep, hope that was coherent, good night.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#58 Suave C

Suave C

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

klonopin has a longer life in your system so is better for regukar anxiety and it will keep you calm all day and night,xanax is better for panic attacks and you feel results faster but is shorter life in your system,i prefer
klonopin,is cheaper and it last longer,no matter what you do dont drink booze with any of these please,people die like that .
hugs

Luna

#59 Suave C

Suave C

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

klonopin has a longer life in your system so is better for regukar anxiety and it will keep you calm all day and night,xanax is better for panic attacks and you feel results faster but is shorter life in your system,i prefer
klonopin,is cheaper and it last longer,no matter what you do dont drink booze with any of these please,people die like that .
hugs

Luna

#60 Suave C

Suave C

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

I agree clonazepam does las longer than xanax so in a sense it is stronger in terms of bein more chill longer but xanax is stronger when it comes to immidiate effects so if ur jus trien ta be more calm all day then clonazepam is stronger but if u want sumthing to hit u rite away then xanax I take 60 clonazepam a month 2 1mg a day an it woks a lot better for me than xanax.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.