Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How fast can you safely get off Klonopin?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Megan_*

Guest_Megan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

My bf's trying to go cold turkey from klonopin on his own. He's been on Klonopin for 10 years and has recently been taking 5 mg a day. (He's also a recovering alcoholic who has been chronically relapsing for the past 2 years. In frustration over the relapsing, he tried to kill himself a few months ago. He was told by a psych evaluator in the hospital that the klonopin is why he hasn't been able to stay sober.) After 7 weeks on a waiting list for detox, they called him and he had a panic attack and didn't go. Now he's decided to go cold turkey and use depakote and vistaril to cope with the withdrawal. I'm really nervous about this. Any advice?

#42 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:59 PM

Aahhh... try to talk him out of it? Call his medical team and report your concerns? Run?

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#43 Guest_texan194_*

Guest_texan194_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:15 PM

I was forced off Klonopin 3 mg. cold turkey by an inexperienced Dr. DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!! I was in pure hell for a few days until a more experienced dr came on duty. Even then their taper was too quick. I wound up on Librium (a old style benzo) and tapered off it. I would say took at least eighteen months plus.
I also suggest benzo.org.uk. Could not have done it without them. The people have knowledge and they have the experince.
I had a manic episode 2 yrs ago and was inpatient. Once again I began Klonopin after a big battle of wills. I now take .5 2x a day. My dr has tried to up it but I always refuse. One day I will try to taper again.
I have to say that even with a slow taper, I often went slower than suggested. Every cut was hard for me about the third day. I often thought I was a junkie of the highest kind. Perhaps some of us are just more senstive to how benzos affect us.
Good Luck, Ally

#44 Guest_texan194_*

Guest_texan194_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:42 PM

KLONOPIN , WHAT IS THIS MEDICATION ? WELL TO ME ( IT'S A DAMN CRAZY BENZO ) I TELL YOU , THIS MEDICATION HAS TOOK A BIG KICK IN MY WELL YOU GET THE IDEA... IT'S SCREWING MY LIFE UP , I HAVE TOLD MY DOCTOR FOR 9 MONTH'S THAT THIS DAMN MEDICATION IS NOT FOR ME , AND HE LOOK'S AT ME ( MY DOCTOR ) LIKE IM A DAMN IDIOT ... WELL HIS EXCUSE TO WHY HE WILL NOT PULL ME OFF THIS MEDICATION IS THAT I HAVE SEIZURE'S, AND ANTI-ANXIETY... WELL THE THING IS , I WAS NOT HAVING NO PROBLEM'S WHEN I WAS TAKING ALPRAZOLAM = XANAX TIME 3 DAILY = 3 MG'S... THIS DOCTOR OF MINE PULLED UP MY OLD RECORD'S AND SEEN THAT I'D BEEN ON ALPRAZOLAM 1 MG X'S 3 DAILY , AND SAID THAT WAS TOO MUCH XANAX ... SO THE DAMN IDIOT PUT ME ON CLONAZEPAM = KLONOPIN , WELL FROM MY UNDERSTANDING AND STUDING THIS MEDICATION KLONOPIN , IT IS FOR A SHORT TERM USE ... CORRECT ME PLEASE IF IM WRONG... PLEASE... THIS MEDICATION AT 1 MG INN THE MORNING , AND 1 MG AT NIGHT IS FLAT AZZ NOT WORKING , AND YES AGAIN , I HAVE ADVISED MY DOCTOR ... BUT NOW HE CAME UP WITH THIS CRAP THAT IM A PROBLEM EPLETIC SEIZURE'S ... HE SAID THAT'S WHY MY BODY FEEL'S UN CONTROLABLEE LIKE MICHEAL J. FOX ... WELL AS NOTED ABOVE , I WAS DOING O.K. WITH XANAX , AND SOME QUACK TOOK OVER IN PLACE OF MY OLD DOCTOR THAT MOVED , WELL MY NEW DOCTOR IS A TOTAL AZZ ( YES IM LOOKING FOR A NEW DOCTOR RIGHT NOW ) , BUT WHY DO DOCTOR'S FEEL AS THEY CAN PLAY AS GOD WITH A PERSON'S LIFE ( AFTER ADVISING MY NEW DOCTOR FOR 9 MONTH'S OF THIS CRAP , THAT THIS MEDICATION IS KILLING ME... IT IS KILLING ME !!! THAT'S NO BULLCRAP OR POPPYTALK PEOPLE ... IM TRYING TO TELL MY DOC FOR RIGHT NOW THAT MAYBE I NEED A NEW SEIZURE MED , ALONG WITH MAYBE A NEW OR DIFFERENT BENZO FOR ANXIETY SUCH AS ( DIAZEPAM ) , WELL I ASKED THIS QUACK ABOUT DIAZEPAM , IT TOOK 2 SECOND'S , THEY QUACK SAID ( IM NOT GIVING YOU DIAZEPAM ) DUE TO THE FACT IT'S VERY ADDITIVE... WELL HELL LOOK AT ME NOW ... WELL I HAVE TRIED TAPPERING OFF THIS CRAP KLONOPIN BY 0.5 IN THE MORNING AND 0.5 MG AT NIGHT OR PRN , AND IT IS CAUSING SEVERE PAIN ... IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA'S BESIDE'S FINDING A NEW DOCTOR I WOULD BE VERY GREATFUL ... LIKE I TYPED , IM LOOKING FOR A PA-C PA , OR A NEW DOCTOR , BUT UNTIL I FIND ONE IS IT SAFE TO THROW THE CLONAZEPAM = KLONOPIN IN THE TRASH DUE TO THE FACT OF TRYING TO TAPPER OFF THIS CRAP MED IS CAUSING ALOT OF CHRONIC PAIN ?????? THANKYOU ALL , AND ANYHELP IS BETTER THAN NO HELP EMAIL IS [deleted]

THANKYOU ALL , AND GOD BLESS US ALL... TEXAN ...

Edited by sandorfalot, 02 August 2012 - 08:46 AM.
Deleting email address

#45 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:17 PM

Ok, first of all texan, you need to take off the caps lock. That was hard to read.

Second, don't post your email for everyone. I suggest you go back and edit it out. It's not good internet safety for one, and it's an invitation to get spammed. We have a perfectly good pm system here for people to send you private messages if you join, and you can also follow up to any responses to this thread.

3rd if you are taking this stuff for seizures, then no, I do not advise you to stop the stuff cold turky.

FInally, if you have a seizure disorder i suggest you see a neurologist, not a physician's assistant.

Anna

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#46 Shortstuff

Shortstuff

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:09 PM

I will be going cold turkey off klonopin. I'd started with my friend's then got my doc to to prescribe it to me. I had 2 full bottle a month...for a few months. some days i took 8 at a time sometimes 14..just depended.i confessed to my doc and he was proud i told him.the question now...what is going to happen as i stop taking it? any tips would be very very appreciated.-shorty
~DX: Bipolar l, OCD, BPD, ADHD, Social Phobia and PTSD
Issues with self harm, agoraphobia, racing thoughts, paranoia, self-esteem, and self image and a bunch of other stuff.
~Rx: Lithium, Lamictal and Gabapentin

Joke from my Psychologist:
Why can't a paranoid person go to a football game?
Because he thinks they are talking about him in the huddle.....

#47 netsavy006

netsavy006

I'm Andy

• Pip
  • 2147 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

I will be going cold turkey off klonopin...

It's not safe if you've been taking klonopin regularly to be going cold turkey off of it. It could result in unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.

- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg QID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Propranolol 10mg BID + Centrum + Fish Oil

#48 Shortstuff

Shortstuff

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:00 PM

i was abusing it badly, taking between 12 and 14 .05's t a time. I was so messed up i finally told my pdoc and he took me off immediately....no tapering. Im on day 2 and already feel bad.what positives can i do for my body? lots of water? run when i can? any tips?
Issues with self harm, agoraphobia, racing thoughts, paranoia, self-esteem, and self image and a bunch of other stuff.

#49 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:39 PM

Lots of chamomile tea and if doc won't taper you (which I actually consider rather um, not so good practice really given seizure risk if you were abusing) then I guess you could try asking pdoc if there's another med he'd give you to help with the w/d i don't know what though.

rest. Don't try to do much of anything. Anna

#50 Shortstuff

Shortstuff

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:08 AM

I'll try the tea and see if that helps. I'm not doing too much. Drinking lot of fluids.

#51 Guest_hrukick3030_*

Guest_hrukick3030_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:06 PM

To: ShortStuff

I two abused klonopin after I first started using it to come down from coke. Was prescribed it so was doing it w/ the coke probably did it's own number on my brain. Then just used as needed(klonopin), still going over the recommended and stopped the coke. I was then given Xanax also 2mg twice a day w/ klonopin. Dropped the Xanax and still going through withdrawl and down to 4mg a day klonopin. My pdoc told me that smoking marijuana helps and it does so much for withdrawl symptoms. I don't think I would still be alive without the weed lol. I am still going through withdrawl have no sense anymore what a normal me is or should be, I am unemployed due to trying to commit suicide last year, can't get a job not because of the economy but because I have two DUIS which were misdemeanors but they check everything but ur ass these days. Also have bad credit. But I'm still here I guess no insurance unemployment running out. I have faith but only see as far as tomorrow. What I'm trying to say is cold turkey off what u were taking amount wise is SUICIDE! Taper but what about us without insurance and money to be on more meds and for a year w/no guarantee. Yeah I think this shit is worse than any drug legal or illegal. But then again why is alcohol legal and weed illegal.
What a JOKE!!!

#52 Guest_hrukick3030_*

Guest_hrukick3030_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:09 PM

Oh and shortstuff running and drinking water were key to me getting cold turkey off Xanax. i drank 25 glasses of water a day 16oz. Vitamins esp. B VITAMINS

#53 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:02 PM

you have got to be kidding me that your pdoc told you to smoke weed to get off klonapin. KIDDING ME.

good lord. TALK about trading one thing for another....

i hope you are in CA and had a prescription for that shit.

this post has to be a joke. HAS TO.

If not, then please, people, don't let some guest talk you into not tapering of a prescribed benzo by downing b vitamins and weed. just to be clear.

Anna

#54 chris_noland

chris_noland

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:27 AM

Ok.... here Goes.

I NEED help! I have taken Klonopin for 10 years now. It started with .5 and went up to nearly 10mgs a day. I have tried inpatient, I have tried 4 times on my own with DR assistance in the past 4 years and i cannot seem to kick it. I get to a point when I am below 2mgs daily that I cannot determine whether the anxiety is me or the withdrawal....obviously looking back it is usually the withdrawal..... But my memory is half what it used to be and I cannot complete anything, it has rendered me disabled. It was prescribed because I had a social phobia with other children when I was a minor but I did not have a panic disorder ( I did not have panic attacks) I still do not but I am taking 4-5 a day as prescribed but I have moved so much in my life the DRs never really question why I take so much and I have been sailing along in this fog that its been doing me ok when it has ruined relationships with others, I have lost several jobs and now I can barely work a part time job.

So, after yet another day of absently being stuck in my apt and totally forgetting to meet a prospective new client (until they emailed me asking where I was) I have decided it is time to end the Klonopin.

I am in a situation where i cannot really get medical attention for it (IE I cannot go into detox and I tried that i do not reccommend it unless its longer term care)

I am pretty much alone in this, I am in a foreign country where the meds are being prescribed now. (they were prescribed back home but I can longer get insurance there)

Since I need the meds to withdrawal with I have to stay here. So detox or moving is out of the equation even if you think its best, its not going to happen and I cant really afford it.

So I am taking 4 at bedtime and one in the afternoon, 5 MG a day. I need to know what a good long term schedule is to get off of them. 30 days was not long enough for me, i started convulsing and had thoughts of suicide. I need to ween off it slowly enough that i barely notice though I know there will be some discomfort to where I am only taking it as needed for the withdrawal or panic attacks that may ensue as a result of being on this medication.

My biggest problems in the past have been that when I get to a really low dose I cannot tell if it is the withdrawal or just me because it has been so long, so I also want to know what people are experiencing as they taper down.

If I need a different forum, please advise, because I cannot live like this any longer, its not living at all.

I was going to cut down 1/2 Mg every month and then take as needed. Would that be safe after taking it for 10 years? I am afraid I do not even know who I am without it anymore. I tried cold turkey once it was probably the scariest thing ever, I thought I was going to die. If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it.

#55 sleeper

sleeper

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:41 PM

chris some would suggest you read the ashton manual - she crossed her patients over to valium and tapered them off from that but you would need to cross to 100mg of valium according to her charts...you can taper off the klonopin directly too. do you know about liquid titration ? there are some videos on youtube showing how to do it, you make a liquid from your pills and taper each day maybe 1/2 or 1%

listen you could do this to taper down you said you can make it so far down then get stuck well get down as low as you can then do a liquid when you hit the wall...when you only take a tiny bit off each day your brain and body don't feel the shock as much as cutting the pill. there is a new support site to help people check it out.

Login

#56 expander

expander

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

Hi , please don't quit cold turkey on Klonopin . It is dangerous . It is true that some of us can do it , but if you are not sure you can , talk to your doctor for a tapering schedule . I have been on Xanax for 9 years 3 x 0.5 mg 1-1-1 , and i did it cold turkey with no problems . I am on Klonopin now 1.5 mg / day 1-1-1 and i have a lot of troubles . I can't get rid of it and i feel like i am 100 years old and i am also having a 1000 pounds bag on my back . Everything is fine if i lay in bed , but as soon as i stand up , problems arrive . Increased heart rate , dizziness , unsteadiness , feeling faint and so on . I have had also trouble breathing at the beginning of the treatment . It's been a year since i'm on it and i want out . But it seems that Klonopin does not agree with this .

#57 meggie7

meggie7

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

My son was hospitalizied and was put on Klonapin, he was then transferred to a half way house and they took him off his medications immediately saying they could not prescribe them to him. He went three days with out his medications and immediately begin to have side effects that were horrible. The half way house let him out on a pass on the third day, but that night first he did go to the hospital and was given a dose of Klonapin and w3as released from the hospital the next day, then the half way house let him out on a pass and he went to the top of an old building where he use to go and mediatate and a witness see him sit down and a few seconds later he just fell backwards and died he was only 28 years old does anybody out there have any advise for me. Please reply all I am lost on wahat to do.

I am terribly sorry for your loss and I realize that you posted quite a while ago, but I am new to the forum and just read about your experience. If you are still unsure of where to turn and who to hold accountable for your son's death, I believe that the blame lays almost exclusively with the halfway house that denied him the meds that he was on and subsequently failed to monitor his physical health/withdrawal and failed again to ensure his psychological safety in the abrupt absence of the meds that had been keeping him stable. He should have been kept under observation for physical reactions to sudden medication withdrawal as well as to prevent him from self-harm or accidental injury.
The hospital also gave him a dose of medication and didn't keep him around for observation, which was irresponsible if he had never been treated with it in the past, so they may have contributed to the situation, but the living facility displayed gross negligence in this event. The medication wasn't the cause of this tragedy, it was a series of oversights- of doors that he was allowed to walk out of under medicated and unsupervised.
In the shadow of such a loss, even after the passage of some time, it's can be very difficult to think with any practicality, but I noticed that in the thread, someone had mentioned suing the pharmaceutical company. I think that it would be impossible to prove that a single dose of Klonopin contributed to your son's death, given that all of his other medications were stopped. Your strongest case by far is against the halfway house, and possibly the hospital as well, but bear in mind that the Statute of Limitations on Medical Malpractice lawsuits can be quite short and varies by state. It can take a really good attorney to try to get around that.
My thoughts are with you, and I wish you good luck in doing whatever you need to do to heal.

#58 melissaw72

melissaw72

Pretending I'm a pleasant person all day is exhausting.

• Pip
  • 14724 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

IMO, Klonopin is very difficult to wean off. My pdoc has me on the AM dose every other day, and keep the dose the same at night. He said I needed to go that slow for my body to go off it.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin SR, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#59 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 7841 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

If I ever titrate off the xanax, it is going to take me months and months. I don't mind, it has been such a beneficial med for me, it is worth the potential hassle.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; CoQ10; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Green Coffee Bean Extract; Lamotrigine; Lithium; Magnesium Chloride; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. PM me if you have any questions

#60 CrankyMe

CrankyMe

Salty

• Pip
  • 974 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:20 AM

I felt like I had to chime in here for anyone reading this thread who may be completely freaked out by the horror stories listed here. I've been on Klonipin for over 2 years now, 1 mg 2xday.

A month? or so? ago, a series of events led to me running out of it and not taking it for 4 days. I posted about it here somewhere, probably in the People Suck forums. Anyway, aside from an increase in anxiety/irritability, I did not experience any notable side effects. I'm NOT advocating stopping cold turkey (I would never, for any med - always follow your doc's advice!) but just wanted others to know that it isn't always a nightmare when you do -- we all react different to going off or on any medication.

Don't you do that sometimes? Play turtle turtle? With your T-shirt?" - Guinea Pig

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.