Vyvanse

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Trinity N FL

Trinity N FL

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:01 PM

Anyone have any experience with this ADHD drug? I'm thinking about asking my pdoc to switch me to it and wanted to get some feedback from you guys.

TIA
[link=http://bpdrecovery.com" target="_blank]Escaping the borderline world...[/link]

DX: Borderline Personality Disorder, Bipolar II

Crazy pills: Prozac 80mg, Zyprexa 2.5mg, & ativan 2mg. (my savior cocktail!) Also Lamictal 200mg for the newly developed seizures. Fun times!

#2 Penny Century

Penny Century

"For now we see through a glass, darkly."

• Admin
  • 2304 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:09 PM

it was only approved this july, so it will be interesting to hear what people think of it. from what i've read the advantages are that it lasts a long time (12 hours supposedly) and that you can not snort it, you have to digest it, so it has less abuse potential. other than that it is a stimulant like dexidrine and adderall. oh. and apparently it has a higher side effect profile than adderall.
"Participation without awareness is a characteristic of impulsive and mood dependent behaviors... The ability to apply verbal labels to behavioral and enviornental events is essential for both communication and self-control. Learning to describe requires that a person learn not to take emotions and thoughts literally-- that is, as literal reflections of environmental events."

~Marsha M. Linehan

~My Profile in case you wanna know my meds and what not~

#3 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 12862 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:32 PM

The main selling point is the abuse profile. It's Dexedrine that's been bonded to some other molecule which makes it inert until acted upon by a particular digestive enzyme. In other words you can't snort it or cook it up and shoot it. It's a lot harder to turn into meth.

You can't OD on it because it depends on your metabolism to become chemically active. The amount of active dextroamphetimine available in your body is limited by the amount of the naturally occurring enzyme required to activate it. A seeming downside of this is that if you actually need a higher dose for it to work, you can't be prescribed a higher amount. It wouldn't work. It also seems like there would be even more variation than usual for how long it takes it to wear off, since how much you eat during the day is going to factor into it.

This is speculation on my part. I need to look into it some more.

For the most part, it looks to me like this is yet another scam to get new patent coverage for an old drug.

ADD is giving the pharma companies fits. There has been an explosion in the number of cases diagnosed, but they can't come up with anything that works better than the meds that are over 50 years old so they keep reformulating those over and over again and spend millions on marketing them as revolutionary.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#4 Penny Century

Penny Century

"For now we see through a glass, darkly."

• Admin
  • 2304 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:48 PM

For the most part, it looks to me like this is yet another scam to get new patent coverage for an old drug.

ADD is giving the pharma companies fits. There has been an explosion in the number of cases diagnosed, but they can't come up with anything that works better than the meds that are over 50 years old so they keep reformulating those over and over again and spend millions on marketing them as revolutionary.

you mean you don't think it's a coincidence that this is being released RIGHT before adderall xr goes off-patent? *gasp*
"Participation without awareness is a characteristic of impulsive and mood dependent behaviors... The ability to apply verbal labels to behavioral and enviornental events is essential for both communication and self-control. Learning to describe requires that a person learn not to take emotions and thoughts literally-- that is, as literal reflections of environmental events."

~Marsha M. Linehan

~My Profile in case you wanna know my meds and what not~

#5 soyouthinkimfat

soyouthinkimfat

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:46 PM

i took vyvanse during the month of june while i was in summer school, and for a couple of weeks in july, and i liked it for the days when i needed to be up from 5:30 AM because it wouldn't wear off until about 6 or 7 PM and i was working until 9 every night.. so it was good for that. it made me not think about eating, but when i got headaches from not eating, people would try to get me to eat. i only felt extremely nauseous when anyone even mentioned food or if i smelled it or thought about it, and lost about 20 lbs those 4 or 5 weeks when i took it. i drank lots of water and powerade to keep electrolytes and sugar, ,but i just couldn't bring myself to eat. the only thing i could eat was a smoothie.
now i'm back on regular old school adderall 3 times a day, and it's great. i still lose weight steadily on it, but it doesn't take as long as the vyvanse to kick in and it's much easier to take just to get me through a few hours of class and be done with it for the day.

#6 HaloGirl66

HaloGirl66

Wannabe Timelord

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 967 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:09 AM

I see no benefit over my adderal xr...
I am *not* any kind of medical professional. I can't spell either. I do the best I can.

My brain cooties: ADD, Wicked Insomnia, SI, Nonverbal Learning Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Periodic Depression and various neurological issues.

Current Meds: 10mg Ambien & 2 mg Xanax at bedtime, 1mg Xanax XR in the morning, 10mg Flexril as needed, 40mg Adderal
Not gonna list previous meds because this signature ain't long enough!

And when I squinted the world seemed rose-tinted
And angels appeared to descend
To my surprise with half-closed eyes
Things looked even better than when they were opened...

M. Gore

#7 Guest_Guest_Kimberly_*_*

Guest_Guest_Kimberly_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:01 PM

Hi, I have been taking vyvance for 11 days. I think it's good, I have no appetite whatsoever. Eating (or shopping for food or cooking for my family) has no priority in my life anymore. But I did walk 3 miles today...Why don't drug companies market these things as diet drugs? I still don't think I am actually "focusing" better...in fact I have been more forgetful. This is the 1st add med I have ever tried. Doc suggests I may be manic, which I may be. But I've never been depressed a day in my life...just hyper and pissy. Is it possibe to be uni-polar as opposed to bi-polar? Oh well...I also ramble.
Kim

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:28 PM

I've only been on this for 3 days. Adderall IR had stopped working for me and most XR's metabolize to fast to get a chance to work for me. I was started on 70mgs right off the bat. Haven't had any side effects and seems to be working well so no complaints so far... Guys we will see how long it lasts. Adderall only lasted about 3 weeks...

#9 HaloGirl66

HaloGirl66

Wannabe Timelord

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 967 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:36 PM

Keep us updated, if you don't mind. I am curious as to how this works for people long-term.
I am *not* any kind of medical professional. I can't spell either. I do the best I can.

My brain cooties: ADD, Wicked Insomnia, SI, Nonverbal Learning Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Periodic Depression and various neurological issues.

Current Meds: 10mg Ambien & 2 mg Xanax at bedtime, 1mg Xanax XR in the morning, 10mg Flexril as needed, 40mg Adderal
Not gonna list previous meds because this signature ain't long enough!

And when I squinted the world seemed rose-tinted
And angels appeared to descend
To my surprise with half-closed eyes
Things looked even better than when they were opened...

M. Gore

#10 Guest_rebel rouser_*

Guest_rebel rouser_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:33 PM

In April 2007, I was diagnosed with ADD and was prescribed Adderall XR. It changed my life for the better, including losing 20 pounds which I thought I could never lose. But as many people have reported, only after four months, the effectiveness of it started to wear out. My doctor only wanted to give me 30 mg. He suggested I try Vyvanse instead. Personally, it just doesn't seem to work for me. I have projects I have been sitting around for two weeks, left unfinished just like before when I wasn't on meds. Also, seem very scattered. Another reason I don't think it's working: no symptoms like dry mouth. Maybe the problem could be that the 70 mg. is the equivilent to the Adderall XR which I was on.

I have been taking Vyvanse for three weeks now. The one thing I have noticed is, I have developed this weird habit of taking single strands of my hair and feeling the texture. Sometimes, I then pull it out. Even my 15 year-old asked me, "Why do you keep messing with your hair?" My husband also asked me "Are you pulling your hair out, literally?"

At my next appointment, I am going to ask to switch back to Adderall XR and try 40 mg.

#11 Guest_newaddguy_*

Guest_newaddguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:36 PM

This is interesting. So what is vyvanse? Is it dexdrine and is dexidrine dextroamphetamine spansules? What is adderall and concerta then and what is everyone's thoughts on these meds? Is concerta and adderall the new standards where dexidrine is so old?
Is dexidrine low on the side effect profile compared to adderall, ritalin, or concerta?
How safe is the dexidrine since it is so old and the last question is what is up with all of the black box warnings on all of these meds with sudden death becoming a BIG problem? Is that for people with issues already or just random?

In April 2007, I was diagnosed with ADD and was prescribed Adderall XR. It changed my life for the better, including losing 20 pounds which I thought I could never lose. But as many people have reported, only after four months, the effectiveness of it started to wear out. My doctor only wanted to give me 30 mg. He suggested I try Vyvanse instead. Personally, it just doesn't seem to work for me. I have projects I have been sitting around for two weeks, left unfinished just like before when I wasn't on meds. Also, seem very scattered. Another reason I don't think it's working: no symptoms like dry mouth. Maybe the problem could be that the 70 mg. is the equivilent to the Adderall XR which I was on.

I have been taking Vyvanse for three weeks now. The one thing I have noticed is, I have developed this weird habit of taking single strands of my hair and feeling the texture. Sometimes, I then pull it out. Even my 15 year-old asked me, "Why do you keep messing with your hair?" My husband also asked me "Are you pulling your hair out, literally?"

At my next appointment, I am going to ask to switch back to Adderall XR and try 40 mg.

#12 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:29 PM

This is interesting. So what is vyvanse? Is it dexdrine and is dexidrine dextroamphetamine spansules? What is adderall and concerta then and what is everyone's thoughts on these meds? Is concerta and adderall the new standards where dexidrine is so old?
Is dexidrine low on the side effect profile compared to adderall, ritalin, or concerta?
How safe is the dexidrine since it is so old and the last question is what is up with all of the black box warnings on all of these meds with sudden death becoming a BIG problem? Is that for people with issues already or just random

A lot of this has been discussed on the Stimulants board. Searching the drug names should bring up lots of things to read.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#13 Guest_Wasper41_*

Guest_Wasper41_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:16 AM

http://wwww.myspace.com/ddorton_25I was just prescribed Vyvanse and thus far I feel as though its giving me all the goods I got from Ritalin and missing the bads. I can understand all of some of the questions above about what you asked because 1. I have a pre med degree and 2. my psychiatrist just explained it to me. I don't remember the biochemistry exactly, but I do understand enough to maybe help you. The good thing for you's guys is that although I have a degree in Pre Med Im dumb enough to understand it so hopfully I can get you to understand it too. ;)

From what I understood, the major appeal to this med, (at least for folks like me), its its unlikely hood of dependence and abuse. Though all meds including chapstick and tums run some risk for dependence its harder for this one to be abused becuase although it is a stimulant it is attched to a ammino acid, lysine, I think which much be cleaved (split) in your stomach where the enzyme is located to free the medicine portion of the drug. There fore if u put it in your nose or in your veins......no enzyme...no reaction because when lysine is attatched my guess is the active site of the drug is already filled and won't react.

This still leaves some huge questions for me.........since reading your posts and that jogging/sparking my brain here are some of my questions.........

1. If we boost our metabolism, will that cause us to metabolize and get a kick outta this med faster?

I"ve just assembled a lot of tidbits of info on this drug...read the little white sheet inclduded w/ the drug....you can see exactly how it works....Diet does not effect it just so u know.....nor does fasting......

I guess my question is what enzyme in the body cleaves the lis

2. What if our bodies naturally are low on producing the "cleaving" enzyme. (not possible its an essential)

3. What happens to the unused/uncleaved meds if the enzyme doesn't cleave them in time? Do we transfer them outtish our bootish so that some poor river slug can quote "Hamlet" (just answered my question reading that white paper... it does)

Lisdexamfetamine (medicine with lysine) inert

dextroamphetamine (medicine after cleaved away from lysine) active (same drug as in adderall)

FYI-this drug according to its site won't go generic till 2023...yikes if I didn't get the 30 day free trial my bill today was $155.91

Dietary Sources
Good sources of lysine are foods rich in protein including meat (specifically red meat, pork, and poultry), cheese (particularly parmesan), certain fish (such as cod and sardines), nuts, eggs, soybeans (particularly tofu, isolated soy protein, and defatted soybean flour), spirulina, and fenugreek seed.

Overview
Lysine is an essential amino acid, which means that it is essential to human health but cannot be manufactured by the body. For this reason, lysine must be obtained from food. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Lysine is important for proper growth and it plays an essential role in the production of carnitine, a nutrient responsible for converting fatty acids into energy and helping to lower cholesterol. Lysine appears to help the body absorb and conserve calcium and it plays an important role in the formation of collagen, a substance important for bones and connective tissues including skin, tendon, and cartilage.

If there is too little lysine in the diet, kidney stones and other health related problems may develop including fatigue, nausea, dizziness, loss of appetite, agitation, bloodshot eyes, slow growth, anemia, and reproductive disorders. It is extremely rare, however, to obtain insufficient amounts of lysine through the diet. Generally, only vegetarians who follow a macrobiotic diet and certain athletes involved in frequent vigorous exercise are at risk for lysine deficiency. For vegetarians, legumes (beans, peas and lentils) are the best sources of lysine.

Lysine is involved in the browning reaction, or carmelization, in foods such as pastries, doughnuts, cookies and cereals. In this process, lysine and sugar become linked together in a way that makes lysine difficult for the body to absorb. As a result, a diet high in cereals and baked goods, especially those that contain a lot of simple sugars, can result in low lysine intake.

I"ve just assembled a lot of tidbits of info on this drug...read the little white sheet inclduded w/ the drug....you can see exactly how it works....Diet does not effect it just so u know.....nor does fasting......

I guess my question is what enzyme in the body cleaves the lisdexamfetamine and what happens if there are probs w/ this or what can we do to do to effect this enzyme.......I'll add ya'll to my faves and keep ya up to date hope some of this helps.

#14 Wasper41

Wasper41

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:22 AM

Just added as a member so if ya wanna dialouge on these topics send me a shout....I've got a lot of good input...and a Pre Med degree so I cause usually wade through the medical jargon and put it in laymans terms for ya...good to meet others who have been where I am.....Just no more Ritalin for me....ever....ever.....

Wasper41

Current Diagnosis: ADD, Hypersexuality (questionable), deep depression, psych testing comeing up soon, was thought to be bipolar type II for a while but very bad effects to meds

Current Medications: Vyvnace 70mg, Effexor (75 mg), Activan (1 mg) as needed , Kolonopin (1mg as needed) exercise (as much as possible, I'm a work out freak meat head, though the depression diet is def the most effective I've ever been on), Allegra (gotta love tree sperm), pepcid AC (vyvanse kills my stomach)

#15 ron43140

ron43140

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:12 PM

Ok i was just put on vyvanse 70mg. I was just told i was add and im 26. first day i took it i felt awsome. my energy went up and everything was great ,steady smiling i had few side effects where i couldn't sleep due to the energy level and loss or desire for food. now im on my forth day now im seeing a conversion from that day to it being good for about 5 or 6 hours then almost get the zombie feeling. im still just as alert focus'd and don't get distracted. im also feeling kinda clouded and my social experiences are changing. where my first day i took it since i had the energy i was quick witted and talking more in social groups but that slowly demishes. what suggestions would u guys give me.Ron

now my 5th day im noticing whats going on my window on low end are dropping everyday i was in a complete zombie stage today almost even drueling, irritation and agitation got real bad. I miss the first dose im going to contact doctor and see what she says ill update.

(update) talked to doctor she stated the highs and lows are normal when getting used to it and to take it for another week. I then talked to my pharmacy and they stated if u take it with warm liquids it would cause that and would make siense. i drink hot tea or coffee when i take it he stated wait about 45 min to drink anything warm ill try and see what happens. Hopefully this helps and im sure other might be having same problems so i helps u too.

(update)Yea no warm drinks while u take the meds actually helped .Now it works all day but doesn't seem strong enough im not getting the energy or wittyness i was getting before my conversations are just like they was before i started. Thinking 70mg might not be enough will talk with doctor next time i go. i have no side effects besides slight loss of appitite but that seems thats going aways also
ron

Edited by ron43140, 11 April 2008 - 02:59 PM.

#16 LikeMinded

LikeMinded

Too many answers, not enough questions.

• Pip
  • 2161 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:14 PM

My father (PhD organic chemist) and I (half-assed molecular biologist) had ridiculously long and complicated discussions about the metabolism (transformation) of Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) into regular old D-amphetamine. Literally, we've got a couple of 100-page notebooks filled with potential chemical reactions we came up with that could be occurring in the stomach and intestine (I believe the latter is where the manufacturer believes that the cleavage takes place).

My personal experience on the stuff is that it nullified the effect of the Ditropan I was taking for parkinsonian sweating issues. It also gave me slight depression. Dad and I theorized that in regions of very mild acidity (like the small intestine, me moreso since I'm on antacid drugs for severe GERD), that a cholinergic molecule is briefly formed (one that mimicks the actions of acetylcholine, which would in theory nullify the actions of Ditropan, which is an anticholinergic). Little information has been published about lisdexamfetamine so far, so this is venturing into the great unknowns of speculation (even by my standards).

I'm off my rockers again, time for my night dose of clonazepam.

CAUTION: I'm a graduate computational medicine/allied health information student, and NOT a licensed clinician of any sort in any part of the world.  I can come up with lots of algorithms, generalities, and statistics but cannot provide specific medical advice for you!  You, along with your healthcare provider/pdoc/tdoc/etc. are the best decision makers for what is best!

Me: MDD, AD/HD, Asperger's/HFA/PDD-NOS/WTF, REM behavioral disorder/misc. sleep issues, some variant of PTSD... toss in hypothyroidism, post-meningitis-related Parkinson's disease/tremor, early stage pulmonary hypertension from a connective tissue disorder that wants me dead before age 60, and a few misc. manly hormone issues, and you'll get a few insights on where that PTSD came from.

Now on: Cymbalta, mirtazapine, oxybutynin, clonazepam, lamotrigine, clonidine, levothyroxine, metformin, Testim.  As Velvet Elvis implied, I sound like a freakin' maraca salesman when I go through airport security.

#17 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:30 PM

its harder for this one to be abused becuase although it is a stimulant it is attched to a ammino acid, lysine, I think which much be cleaved (split) in your stomach where the enzyme is located to free the medicine portion of the drug. There fore if u put it in your nose or in your veins......no enzyme...no reaction because when lysine is attatched my guess is the active site of the drug is already filled and won't react.

It's likely that, as it is, the molecule simply will not fit to the receptors that amphetamine and methylphenidate work on.

It's a carboxylic acid ester, so all that's needed to cleave the lysine unit is a moderately strong aqueous acid solution. No enzyme is needed, just wash the pill down with fruit juice or an acidic soda... The catch is that excess acid is known to inhibit amphetamine absorption. One step forward, two steps back.

As far as energy levels not staying up and appetite suppression not holding up - that's to be expected if you are taking more than you are used to or just too much. These meds cause neurochemicals to be released without making replacements. Like withdrawing money from an ATM, once the account runs dry that's IT until you put some money back in (make more neurotransmitters - which is even less likely to happen if you're not eating much)

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#18 LikeMinded

LikeMinded

• Pip
  • 2161 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:35 AM

It's a carboxylic acid ester, so all that's needed to cleave the lysine unit is a moderately strong aqueous acid solution. No enzyme is needed, just wash the pill down with fruit juice or an acidic soda... The catch is that excess acid is known to inhibit amphetamine absorption. One step forward, two steps back

Yeah, my father and I pretty much assumed that the cleavage (hehehe, cleavage) was performed automatically under even weak acidic (pH = 6) conditions.... which is where the acetylcholine-like molecule is briefly made. I.e. (in layman's terms), Vyvanse turns into D-amphetamine spontaneously in your gut, and during this transformation, there might or might not be something that has other neurological activity.

And nobody get me started on mixing Vyvanse with soda/pop... bad experience.

Okay, off the rockers again, time for my morning dose of clonazepam...

CAUTION: I'm a graduate computational medicine/allied health information student, and NOT a licensed clinician of any sort in any part of the world.  I can come up with lots of algorithms, generalities, and statistics but cannot provide specific medical advice for you!  You, along with your healthcare provider/pdoc/tdoc/etc. are the best decision makers for what is best!

Me: MDD, AD/HD, Asperger's/HFA/PDD-NOS/WTF, REM behavioral disorder/misc. sleep issues, some variant of PTSD... toss in hypothyroidism, post-meningitis-related Parkinson's disease/tremor, early stage pulmonary hypertension from a connective tissue disorder that wants me dead before age 60, and a few misc. manly hormone issues, and you'll get a few insights on where that PTSD came from.

Now on: Cymbalta, mirtazapine, oxybutynin, clonazepam, lamotrigine, clonidine, levothyroxine, metformin, Testim.  As Velvet Elvis implied, I sound like a freakin' maraca salesman when I go through airport security.

#19 ron43140

ron43140

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:48 PM

im adding to what i posted above im not motivated anymore, still have a little anxiety and depression issues mostly feel like i should explode in some form of emotion and can't .im contacting my employers eap and getting a good mind doctor. Ive been dignosed with add inattentive then given meds for it and still feel all kinds of messed up maybe just a bad day.i deffently miss the being happy and talking all the time like i used to. maybe i need more then 70mg on vyvanse we will see.

#20 LikeMinded

LikeMinded

• Pip
  • 2161 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:23 PM

im adding to what i posted above im not motivated anymore, still have a little anxiety and depression issues mostly feel like i should explode in some form of emotion and can't .im contacting my employers eap and getting a good mind doctor. Ive been dignosed with add inattentive then given meds for it and still feel all kinds of messed up maybe just a bad day.i deffently miss the being happy and talking all the time like i used to. maybe i need more then 70mg on vyvanse we will see.

Regardless of the stupid chemistry rambling you're hearing from null and I, you need to weigh a clinical decision here. Ask yourself if the med is really working for you, and if the side effects are bothersome. If so, you'll probably want to discuss with your doctor about changing medications or other assorted advice on Vyvanse.

Anyways, good luck, and keep us posted!

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.