Adderall & Prozac?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chikkie

Chikkie

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:39 AM

I've been lurking for a few days and looked for a thread containing this info but I haven't found one.

I take generic adderall 10mg a.m. and occasionally in the afternoon for AD/HD inattentive type.
I recently added fluoxetine 10mg (still playing with time of day) then upped it to 20mg.

My question is this...has anyone else noticed the fluoxetine decreasing the effect of the Adderall?
I noticed it immediately.

I have a dr's appt in about 45 minutes & I'm not sure what to ask for? An increase in my Adderall?

I'm a mess without it's effects:(

I appreciate greatly any responses (in advance because I'll forget later)

#2 Chikkie

Chikkie

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:32 PM

Well...thanks ANYWAY.

I'm so glad I got the courage up to post.

#3 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 12925 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:02 PM

sorry.

I've taken some combination of stimulant and SSRI for over ten years and never really noticed that. SSRIs do reduce some of the more anxious side effects sometimes. Could that be part of what you're noticing? Normally it takes going on two months to notice anything from Prozac.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#4 LunaRufina

LunaRufina

Briefly entertaining the possible outcomes of awkward moments...

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 4373 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:15 PM

People can't be expected to answer you immediately. You should have posted earlier than you did to get some responses before your appointment. At this point, it doesn't seem like it matters because the appointment has passed so I am not surprised that you have no responses.

Good you got up the courage to post but your second one isn't likely to attract many happy returns.

I don't know. I don't know if there is an interaction between the two but I didn't find one like that. The thing that comes to mind is that perhaps you are experiencing side effects from the fluoxetine including tiredness, which can make it seem like a stimulant medication isn't working as well. This makes sense to me, but I don't know if that is what you are experiencing?

The interaction checker that I use actually suggests that you may be more sensitive to the Adderall, not less, so in your case it is really hard to say what might be going on.

Since you just started taking the new med, I would give it a chance for the side effects to pass. If you haven't been on it for very long, give it some time.

"...what you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.”

― Kent M. Keith, The Silent Revolution: Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council"

#5 Sunshine

Sunshine

• Pip
  • 866 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:28 PM

ADD-type symptoms (inability to concentrate, etc.) are also typical symptoms of depression. At least that's what my pdoc has always told me when I've complained of lingering ADD-type symptoms after getting a bout of depression under control. In my experience, it can sometimes be difficult to distinguish between the two... especially when you are suffering from/being treated for both.
Diagnonsenses: Major Depressive Disorder (recurrent, in remission), ADD (inattentive type), Chronic Insomnia, Migraines, mild Anxiety Disorder (NOS), and a broken heart (also in remission!).
Current Cocktail (as of 11/17/2011):
~Morning: 20 mg Adderall XR, 3 mg Intuniv, and 1 mg Xanax XR
~Bedtime: 8 mg Rozerem, 5-10 mg Ambien, 200 mg Danazol (for PMDD and migraine), 100 mg Aldactone
~PRN: 2.5 mg Amerge (for migraines) and .25 mg IR Xanax
Previous meds: See profile.

#6 tek

tek

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:13 PM

Actually, YES...I had the exact same effect when on Adderall and fluoxetine (no other meds at the time). When on Lexapro & Adderall, 15mg instant release twice a day and 10mg in the afternoon was the best dosage for me. Once I switched to fluoxetine, 15mg of Adderall just wasn't doing what it used to. So, I tried upping the dose to 20mg and that worked fine (where previously it made me too jittery, and that's how I figured 15mg was just right). I questioned my pdoc about it, and she said that fluoxetine was known for interfering with the pharmokinetics of some drugs. I'm not a professional, but I assume it has something to do with the fact that fluoxetine inhibits the same enzyme that metabolizes Adderall. Even still, mileage will vary.
REMISSION FOR THE WIN!!!!

Dx: ADD, recurring major depression (w/ anxiety), initial insomnia
...CSMS (chronic shitty mood syndrome), BHLFBBM (bad habits learned from bipolar borderline mom)

Crap down the trap: Lamictal 200mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Provigil 200mg, Ativan 0.5 mg BID, Seroquel 50-100mg bedtime

Ex-Rx: Adderall XR, Adderall IR, Lexapro, Prozac, Effexor XR, Abilify, Risperdal, Ambien, Klonopin, Lunesta, Propranolol, Kephlex, Bactrim

#7 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:26 PM

Heh.

For me, any stimulating effect from Adderall was negated by taking Lexapro. Of course, even with a couple of
double espresso shots in me I had trouble staying awake until lunchtime ... that can't have helped.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.