Dermatillomania

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Morgana_*

Guest_Morgana_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 01:22 AM

Does anyone else eat whatever you pick off? I do and I enjoy these little tidbits. I have been doing this all of my life. I try to be careful where I pick so that others cannot see. I know this is disgusting and sometimes I feel shame but I can't stop. I have been at it for 40 years. A couple of years ago, I had a breakdown and was really ill. During that time I was cutting myself. Then I'd have huge scabs to peel off and eat. It left very large scars on my arms and stomach. I am no longer cutting but I do pick my legs and scalp. I sure wish there was help. I don't think I could talk to a doctor about it.

#2 LunaRufina

LunaRufina

Briefly entertaining the possible outcomes of awkward moments...

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 4286 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:49 AM

Does anyone else eat whatever you pick off? I do and I enjoy these little tidbits. I have been doing this all of my life. I try to be careful where I pick so that others cannot see. I know this is disgusting and sometimes I feel shame but I can't stop. I have been at it for 40 years. A couple of years ago, I had a breakdown and was really ill. During that time I was cutting myself. Then I'd have huge scabs to peel off and eat. It left very large scars on my arms and stomach. I am no longer cutting but I do pick my legs and scalp. I sure wish there was help. I don't think I could talk to a doctor about it.

What you are describing is dermophagia, which is linked to dermatillomania/skin picking. Dermatillomania is a form of OCD in which one picks at their own skin and dermaphagia is one in which a person eats skin flakes, scabs, etc.

I haven't been able to find much information on dermaphagia. Maybe someone else can dig deeper than I am able to.

Talk to your doctor about the skin picking and then see if you are comfortable enough to talk further.

"...what you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.”

― Kent M. Keith, The Silent Revolution: Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council"

#3 Guest_morgana_*

Guest_morgana_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:30 PM

What you are describing is dermophagia, which is linked to dermatillomania/skin picking. Dermatillomania is a form of OCD in which one picks at their own skin and dermaphagia is one in which a person eats skin flakes, scabs, etc.

I haven't been able to find much information on dermaphagia. Maybe someone else can dig deeper than I am able to.

Talk to your doctor about the skin picking and then see if you are comfortable enough to talk further.

#4 cashew1ofMxdNutz

cashew1ofMxdNutz

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:53 PM

I also wonder if there an element of pica? Pregnant women can have it where they crave weird substances like chalk or glue, etc. Old wives tales said that usually meant there was some type of mineral or extra something the person needed. Doctors poopoo that but I still believe there is an element of truth in it.

If you stick pretty much to scabs maybe you are iron deficient. If you don't want to talk to your pdoc about that maybe you could have your iron checked for potential anemia by your regular doctor.

Also I think more people pick and eat or pick and chew more then people want to admit. I have seen people bite their nails and chew on the piece that comes off. I also have seen people do that with calluses and hang nails.

And of course any toddler to preschool (and sometimes beyond) mine for gold and eat the boogers ;)
The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person
who argues with him
- Stanislaw Jerzy Lec ( 1909-)

Dx: Major Depression with Axiety/Panic and ADD
Rx: 150mg Zoloft, 72mg Concerta

#5 Guest_Morgana_*

Guest_Morgana_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:21 PM

Wow. I shared something with you that I have never even totally shared with my husband. I didn't even get one eeew gross! Thanks for the info. and advice. This is only the second time I have posted something on a chat board and I am amazed at your non-judgmental kindness. I want to be like you when I grow up. Thanks again.

#6 cashew1ofMxdNutz

cashew1ofMxdNutz

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:07 PM

No Problem Morgana!!
The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person
who argues with him
- Stanislaw Jerzy Lec ( 1909-)

Dx: Major Depression with Axiety/Panic and ADD
Rx: 150mg Zoloft, 72mg Concerta

#7 Guest_Stacey_*

Guest_Stacey_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:56 PM

Yep I am a picker and eater too. It is gross but I can't stop. In fact, I can't pick it without eating it. I don't know if it is the picking or the eating that I like better. That is more soothing. But if I am not picking my skin (scabs, nose, cuticles, feet) then I am binge eating or shopping. I have major issue with compulsion.

#8 Guest_dodie_*

Guest_dodie_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:35 AM

It took a lot of differently phrased searches, but I'm glad I finally found this discussion. I never even thought of telling anyone about my own habit - it just seemed way too strange. I haven't even felt comfortable telling my girlfriend.

I can not stop picking the skin from the bottom of my feet and eating it. That sounds really messed up, I know, but it doesn't seem even the tiniest bit strange when I'm doing it. How strange that something that feels so normal sounds so weird when I write it out.

I often pick at my feet so much that they end up raw and painful to walk on the next morning. It's generally at night that I peel the skin from my feet - especially if I'm in bed reading or watching a movie. I even think about it beforehand, looking forward to it. I can't explain the satisfaction that comes from getting a particularly large piece of skin off all at once. It has to be a part of the sole of my foot that the skin would have come off anyway - if there's any pain at all, it's not satisfying, it's just painful.

Once I do get a big piece like that off, it's just great to sit there and chew it for a bit, and swallowing is absolutely satisfying.

I never thought of this as a compulsion or any kind of OCD, but I have always wondered why I've never heard of anyone else doing it.

Glad to know I'm not absolutely the only person ever.

#9 betcsu

betcsu

I'm thinking of one....

• Pip
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:36 PM

*raising hand* im in the club, too...

and aint crazy boards grand! ;)

Edited by betcsu, 27 January 2008 - 07:36 PM.

If I don't remember it,
it didn't happen!

[link=http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=103&" target="_blank]come read my crazyblog![/link]
dx: bp 1, sa, gad
current rx: am: lamictal 100mg, pm: celexa 20mg, hydroxyzine 25mg prn

#10 oohshinyobject

oohshinyobject

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:30 PM

ugggh, it's so gross...but i admittingly do it.
have been for several years now...

#11 Iknewsomethingwasamiss

Iknewsomethingwasamiss

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:56 PM

Yep, I am right there with ya. I know how satisfying it is to look forward to picking and eating it.... and the pleasure. It is sick, but I do it anyway. It has gotten really bad as of late. I will pick my cuticles, toe cuticles and all kinds skin and scabs until it bleeds. I will pick for hours at a time. I sit there with all my tools while my kids watch me. It is gross and embarrassing. Even my 8 year old has started clipping his toes way too often. Both kids pick their noses and scabs and eat them. I am creating disgusting kids by my own actions. But I can't stop. I tried, but I just go back again, worse than before. I am going to see a therapist on Friday for OCD. I want to stop and hopefully with some new meds and behavioral therapy I can.

Edited by Iknewsomethingwasamiss, 30 January 2008 - 03:58 PM.

Issues: Depressed, ADHD, Dermatillomania, OCD
Mental Meds: Strattera 80mgs, Zoloft 100mgs, Fishoil

#12 ChemistryExperiment

ChemistryExperiment

Carbon Based Chemical

• Pip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:26 AM

I'm in the club ;) I've been in the hospital so much that I haven't been able to search the boards fully. but I pick compulsively and eat it. its gross. I know. but..... I can't help it.... *sigh* I was better on the luvox... but they took me off that and now I'm.... picking like mad.

Life isn't about finding yourself

its about CREATING yourself

----------------------------------------------------------

if you're crazy and you know it clap your hands!

*clap*

*clap*

#13 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:38 PM

Question: if you've only got dermatillomania (quite severe, though)(not dermophagia), does that mean you're OCD? Or do you just have behaviors along the spectrum?

#14 beetle

beetle

• Pip
  • 804 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:36 PM

I am a compulsive skin picker too. Never been compelled to eat anything. But I have gone through phases of horribly picking at my at my face, that's really the only place I do it. I have messed myself up pretty bad and always, always feel horrible afterwards, looking at how ugly it all looks. And I know my husband is looking at me knowing what I've been doing. When I've done a real number on myself, I hate to go out in public because of how bad it looks. Then, there's the scarring. And yet while I'm standing there in the mirror picking and squeezing, I don't think about the consequences, and it actually has a soothing, calming effect. And if I am able to pop a zit or squeeze out a blackhead, I feel so much better, like I've been able to get that nasty stuff out of me.

Thankfully, I haven't been on too much of a kick with it lately. I do go through spells of it.

Here's a place (with a forum) that I ran across while looking for info on compulsive skin picking. I've never posted on the forum so, I don't know how supportive it is but it's there for anyone who's having trouble with skin picking.
http://www.stoppickingonme.com/
Dx:
"My working Dx is Bipolar. Yes, there seems to be some HFA traits." ~my pdoc
Possibly BP II ~a Psy.D

Rx:
AM Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Ritalin LA 30mg, Klonopin .5mg,
PM Geodon 160mg, Klonopin 1mg

Dx past: BP NOS w/ schizoid tendencies, Double depression, MDD or something
Rx past: Lithium+prozac, tegretol+paxil, effexor+wellbutrin, lexapro, cymbalta, provigil,
zoloft+ strattera, abilify (twice)+wellbutrin, lamictal+wellbutrin, risperdal, trileptal and a dash of xanax and klonopin

#15 angry_girl

angry_girl

..but a sad angry girl...

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:37 PM

Ok, so I just replied to the other thread about this, but I also wanted to quickly chime in on this one, too. I also pick and eat, scabs and skin. I feel so gross about doind this. Although I don't eat the stuff that comes out of a zit or infection, I do always smell it. I don't know why I do this nor can I pinpoint when it started (not too long ago, tho). I just enjoy the way the puss smells. I can't beleive I'm admitting to this. ;) I feel so disgusting!

Hmmph. Crazyboard, where I let it ALL hang out.

AG
I am Jack's colon. I get cancer. I kill Jack
I am Jilll's brain. I get BPII. I drive Jill insane.

Dx: BPII, anxiety (mostly social) and psychosis
Current Rx: Tegretol 600mg, Zoloft 200mg, Effexor XR 75mg, Geodon 160mg
Past Rx: Lithium, Lamictal, Depakote, Seroquel, Prozac, Effexor, Cymbalta, Lexapro, Remeron, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Celexa, Hydroxizine Pamoate, Ambien, Rozerem, Restoril, Trazodone, Clonazepam, Lorazepam

#16 sammka

sammka

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:07 AM

I eat skin too! Usually because I pick at my lip. I like the texture between my teeth.

Or, when I pick things off of my scalp, I actually line up the things or pile them, but don't eat them.

#17 Guest_Guest_Morgana_*_*

Guest_Guest_Morgana_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:34 AM

Damn - we're quite the club! ;) I have been seriously thinking about seeing a doctor about all of this. I need to get my hair done and my scalp looks bad. Last time, I told the stylist that I had an allergic reaction to Pantine :) I doubt that will fly again. I have been taking Celexa for severe PMS and it seems to make the picking, etc. worse. Anyone have experience with that? Also, a couple of years ago, I went through a bout of cutting. Now I have obvious scars on my arms. Does anyone know of something that effectively covers those up? I live in Phoenix where long sleeves are too hot and I am self concious of people staring at my arms.

#18 Artemisia

Artemisia

• Pip
  • 1006 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:32 PM

I no longer eat the skin off my feet--but I used to as a kid.

I still very much chew (and ingest bits of) my cuticles. I'm also a scab-picker, and I occasionally do eat those. Amusingly enough, I don't eat large scabs (though I may pick at them); large scabs seem "gross." That's rationality for you.

The scab-picking I learned from my mother (and possibly from my sisters?), but I think the scab-eating is my own elaboration.

P.S. I don't do any of this in public. Well, OK, the cuticle-chewing always happens subconsciously, so I might find myself doing it without total privacy...
The Relevant Basics:

Diagnosis - Depression
Current psych meds - sertraline; zolpidem PRN

#19 I'm Melting

I'm Melting

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:16 PM

wow, did you see how many views this post has gotten??!!!

... hmm, dont think you are alone!
Previously (happy-snappy-rage-cry)

Dx:
I'm me, I'm kinda messed up sometimes, really messed up others ... I'm still me
Past Rx: Cant remember them all.
Now: WB 300mg, Clonazepam 1mg, Clomipramine 130mg, Temazepam 60mg

Pdoc? Debating starting lithium Me? Scared shitless to Bf? Tired of me being so sick
Kids? God love'em Family? 18yrs of "you'd be fine if you'd ...""maybe its just...""Quit being so ..."
Friends? Not many right now. Chased'em away with my emotional roller coaster
... it went off the track in Jan and hasnt got back on yet .......

#20 Guest_Another skin picker_*

Guest_Another skin picker_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:30 PM

[I pick my feet and chew the skin. I like to peel of huge pieces and chew it like gum. I wish I could find a woman who picks and we could pick together. I picked a girlfriend once and chewd her skin.

Man am I a sick puppy...

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.