Wellbutrin/ Eye sensitivity?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 KRS

KRS

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:31 PM

So far I have been on WB for almost three weeks. I have noticed my eyes have become very sensitive to sunlight, and they are easily irritated by looking at TVs and monitors. By the time I get to work my eyes are bloodshot from the sun and I'm afraid people think I'm high. Does anyone else ever experience this?

KRS

#2 Guest_crumb_*

Guest_crumb_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:17 PM

I experienced optical weirdness on WB. Flickering lights that would move accross my field of vision. It happened three times in the period of about two weeks near the onset of WB usage. I contacted the pdoc and found it was called atypical migraines. There were headaches associated with WB, but I wouldn't call them migraine level -- no vomiting for example. But these crazy flying sausers I would see -- after the third time it happened and I talked to my pdoc I went down from 300 to 100 mg. Since then I have not had any, and it's been about 1 1/2 years. (I take an SSRI too -- the WB was only supposed to be for anti-apathy.)

#3 Greenyflower

Greenyflower

WTF NOS

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:11 PM

My eyes have definitely become more light sensitive since taking ADs, including SSRIs, SNRIs, and Wellbutrin. I wear sunglasses all the time outside during the day and even had to have my car windows tinted because I couldn't stand the glare anymore. I use eye drops and artificial tears. It helps, but doesn't completely alleviate the problem. Just (another) one of those things....
[link=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/" target="_blank]Posted Image[/link]

#4 Guest_BOAZ_*

Guest_BOAZ_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:29 PM

My eyes have definitely become more light sensitive since taking ADs, including SSRIs, SNRIs, and Wellbutrin. I wear sunglasses all the time outside during the day and even had to have my car windows tinted because I couldn't stand the glare anymore. I use eye drops and artificial tears. It helps, but doesn't completely alleviate the problem. Just (another) one of those things....

My Two Cents:

Now, it is been 10 days since I started Wellbutrin 150 mg. once a day... Yesterday morning at the beach I could barely see without my sun glasses. So under my experience, this drug affects your vision, as it become more light sensitive. Tried any AD available before, and have a long relationship with PROZAC (more than 6 years) but none of them gave me this "issue"

#5 Guest_Simbrah_*

Guest_Simbrah_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:11 AM

So far I have been on WB for almost three weeks. I have noticed my eyes have become very sensitive to sunlight, and they are easily irritated by looking at TVs and monitors. By the time I get to work my eyes are bloodshot from the sun and I'm afraid people think I'm high. Does anyone else ever experience this?

KRS

I've been on Wellbutrin for about 5 months now. I experienced the bloodshot eyes and thought at first that it was pink eye. I went to an opthamologist, and was told that it was probably just an irritation. They gave me steriod eye drops which cleared it up temporarily. But as soon as I was out of steriod drops my eyes went right back to pink. I stopped taking the Wellbutrin for 3 weeks and my eyes cleared up. Then I started to take it again (to see if it really was the Wellbutrin causing the eye problems). Once again, my eyes are tinged pink and won't clear up with Visine. Personally, I think this is a more common side effect than the drug company is admitting to. I've read several forums where other patients say they've experienced the same bloodshot eyes.

#6 LunaRufina

LunaRufina

Briefly entertaining the possible outcomes of awkward moments...

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 4373 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:39 AM

... Personally, I think this is a more common side effect than the drug company is admitting to. I've read several forums where other patients say they've experienced the same bloodshot eyes.

Well, according to the PI sheet, mydriasis [excessive dilation of the pupil] and dry eye occur in between every 1/100 to 1/1000 consumers. I think that is probably right. The company isn't hiding anything.

"...what you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.”

― Kent M. Keith, The Silent Revolution: Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council"

#7 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:44 AM

Once again, my eyes are tinged pink and won't clear up with Visine. Personally, I think this is a more common side effect than the drug company is admitting to. I've read several forums where other patients say they've experienced the same bloodshot eyes.

Are you using regular Visine (with tetrahydrozoline), or the product they make for dry eyes?

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#8 olga

olga

Life is better when you bring home a furry pal

• Inmate
  • 10523 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:50 PM

If you have dry eye, you might want to try taking flax seed oil capsules a few times a day. My husband had rather a severe case of it requiring the moisture-adding drops several times a day. Within a week of taking flax seed oil, it cleared up.

Visine can make your eyes drier and more irritated.

Mine look a little bloodshot all the time as a result of other meds that I take. If Wellbutrin bothers your eyes that much, consider switching to a different anti depressant.

olga

I'm bossy, opinionated, and over 60, so be prepared for advice if you post a question. However, I am not a medical professional, so please consult a doctor about your mental health issues and medications.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Do what you want. I don't have time to spend on people who are mentally ill and refuse treatment.

#9 lysergia

lysergia

ripping off the bootstraps

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3315 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:23 AM

my optometrist gave me blinking exercises to do a few years back, and when i remember to do them, they REALLY help. all it involves is blinking quickly (when i do it, it's around a blink and a half per second i think) for about ten seconds at a time. several times a day, whenever you remember. and drink a LOT of water, like a lot more than you're used to. additionally, there are better moisturizers for your eyes than Visine (tried that too), i like the Refresh Liquigel drops, but you can't wear contact lenses with those.

i didn't even notice it all that much, i just thought everyone who wore contacts just got dry eyes a lot (i never had the bloodshot eye thing unless i left my lenses in waaaay too long oops). the optometrist said that not only do some of these meds "dry you out", but they also drastically reduce your blink rate (which was my problem). so you don't generate as many tears, and you don't clear your eyes of foreign bodies as much as you would otherwise if you aren't blinking enough (that sounds so weird).

hope that might help someone!

current dx:

BPII, DDNOS, major anxiety issues, PTSD issues (now subclinical), ED issues (recovered anorexic), auditory/visual/tactile hallucinations

current rx:

bupropion XL 300 mg, clonazepam 1.5 mg, synthroid 0.1625 mg - PRNs - ibuprofen, tylenol, nicotine, caffeine, refined sugar

download.jpg

#10 Guest_Simbrah_*

Guest_Simbrah_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:27 AM

... Personally, I think this is a more common side effect than the drug company is admitting to. I've read several forums where other patients say they've experienced the same bloodshot eyes.

Well, according to the PI sheet, mydriasis [excessive dilation of the pupil] and dry eye occur in between every 1/100 to 1/1000 consumers. I think that is probably right. The company isn't hiding anything.

My eyes aren't dry. They are just very bloodshot. I've tried using the Visine natural tears throughout the day and also have been prescribed steriod eye drops. But as soon as I run out of the steriod eye drops my eyes go right back to bloodshot.

#11 Guest_KAG_*

Guest_KAG_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:13 PM

I have been on Wellbutrin for close to 2 years and it causes my eyes to dry up so bad I end up blinking every 3 seconds, which in turn causes intense headaches. Get this- my eye doctor did a thorough exam and although my eyes feel dry, they actually are tearing quite normally and are in-fact NOT dry- weird, huh? My only "solution" so far has been to go off of it for a few weeks in order to let my eyes clear up a bit and return back to normal, then re-start the Wellbutrin again. Who knows what this is actually doing to my system, but I can assure you it has certainly 'jacked' my moods.

#12 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8759 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:23 PM

My doctor told me to be careful to wear sunglasses whenever there is sunlight or glare, because I am also light-eyed (light green). I have been on wellbutrin either close to 18 or 20 years (I can never remember precisely when it came on the market). My eyes do feel a little dry, but I am used to it by now. Olga, I just use Visine when I am having allergies; do you think that is a bad idea? I could get those purely saline tear things....

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#13 olga

olga

• Inmate
  • 10523 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:37 PM

Sunglasses are a good idea for everyone. We will all get cataracts when we're old, but you can postpone them a bit if you protect your eyes from the UV rays, particularly on the beach, when there's snow around, and when driving on a sunny day.

I can't give an opinion on Visine because I don't use it. It's bad for people with Glaucoma because it interferes with the flow of blood to your optic nerve. When it clears up the redness in your eyes, it is constricting the capillaries in your eyes. For those of us with eye diseases, that isn't a good thing.

If you have dry eye, why don't you try flax seed oil? If you take 1,000 mg. with breakfast and dinner, you might see results within a few weeks. I had irritated eyes from my two Glaucoma drops, and the redness has definitely decreased since I started taking the oil capsules. It also cured my husband's severe case of dry-eye, as I mentioned above in a previous post.

The other thing you could try is artificial tears, and products like GenTeal, which help to soothe the irritation.

Gotta take care of them peepers---you only get one set! ;)

olga

I'm bossy, opinionated, and over 60, so be prepared for advice if you post a question. However, I am not a medical professional, so please consult a doctor about your mental health issues and medications.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Do what you want. I don't have time to spend on people who are mentally ill and refuse treatment.

#14 Guest_kitkat_*

Guest_kitkat_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:13 PM

Oh my goodness, I'm so glad I found this thread. I started the generic version of Wellbutrin (bupropin) about 2.5 weeks ago and I finally had to stop taking it today because the side effects are driving me crazy. The eye sensitivy/blurriness/dizziness/nausea (not to mention the insane insomnia) got so bad that I've had to miss work. It seems to come and go in intensity, but at the worst, any movement I see at all hurts my eyes. Kind of makes it hard to do anything!! I thought I was imagining it at first, when every once in a while I could hardly text on my phone because it was killing my eyes. But then it started happening more and more often and for longer periods of time. Not sure what to do next. Will have to talk with my doctor. Wondering if I should try a lower dosage or just try something else altogether. I was only on 150 mg! So not even sure if it would work in smaller doses. ;)

Anyway, thank you all for confirming that I'm not crazy! Well at least not in THIS way. Just good to know I'm not the only one that has experienced vision weirdness.

#15 iguanita

iguanita

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:33 PM

My eyes get very dry now that I take WB. And by the end of the day, they are dry, tired, and I have a hard time seeing clearly because they are so dry and tired. Sometimes it is like that at various times throughout the day. I have to rub my eyes a lot to keep them moist. I haven't noticed a sensitivity to sun though.
------------------------------------------------------------
Dx - BP II (currently ultra rapid cycling), GAD, PD

Rx - Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Lamictal 400mg, Klonopin .5 mg, Ambien 2.5mg to 10 mg as needed
Previous Rx:
Ativan - worked really well for a while, but not strong enough for my current anxiety. Might switch back at a later time.
Celexa, Lexapro - made me hypomanic, mixed
Pristiq - worked for a bit, fizzled out, then had a terrible reaction tapering off of it

#16 Guest_curly girl_*

Guest_curly girl_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:43 AM

I've only been on the WB 150 for a couple weeks and the eye dryness, irritation is
quite difficult to tolerate even with using artificial tears. I stopped
taking the meds today- I'll see pdoc next week. I'm upset because I think I really
started to feel better on this. I've tried many meds in the past with little success.
thanks for the flax seed oil tip. I'll try that.

#17 Guest_Serra_*

Guest_Serra_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:33 PM

I have been trying to deny that WB may be responsible for my eye problems, since it has been a miracle drug to me in all other aspects. I have never felt so happy and functionable in my whole life!! I have noticed the eye sensitivity, but that wasn't such a big deal. But about a month ago I have started to blink uncontrollably... very frequent and VERY hard. So much that every single day all my muscles in my face ache and I have a head ache. I am miserable... but have also been afraid to go back into the dark of depression. But I suppose it will be better than constant problems.

#18 olga

olga

• Inmate
  • 10523 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:26 PM

I have to rub my eyes a lot to keep them moist.

I didn't see this earlier or I would have responded.

PLEASE DON'T RUB YOUR EYES. My goodness, that's one of the worst things you can do to them. It doesn't increase the moisture level and your eye is a delicate instrument. Would you rub your camera lens with sandpaper? Of course not, but rubbing your eyes with your hands is almost as bad.

Please try taking flax seed oil (1,000mg capsules twice a day, with food) and/or use some artificial tear products that you can buy over the counter. But don't rub them! *shudder*

olga

#19 Guest_jeanne_*

Guest_jeanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:59 PM

My God, for the last five years I thought I was going blind. Today the doc sad my eyes are perfect, and I am 48. And it took my 15 years to find the right meds.

#20 Guest_scb_*

Guest_scb_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:59 AM

So relieved to see that I am not the only one with severe dry eyes. I really thought something bad was happening with my eyes. I have an appt. my eye doc this week, but now think I need to call my pcp. I lost my spouse 6 months ago and think wellbutrin has helped tremendously. Fiirst type of medication like this I've taken. Didn't know what it was supposed to do, but I haven't been crying so much lately, so it must be helping. Sad that it has these side effects. Thanks for this link. It has helped me.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.