Photo
- - - - -

Risperdal (Risperidone) withdrawal effects?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 melli

melli

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:49 PM

Hi All,

As some of you may be aware, I have quit Risperidone (11 days ago). Not to frighten anyone, but I am going bonkers. I get body shakes, racing heart and a feeling of anxiety through most of the day. Before I started this med, I was NEVER like this...A GDoc prescribed it (and a fucking Benzo) for anxiety over the loss of close relative I took care of, in her final months. Back then, I would get anxious, but it was fleeting. Now it takes all my energy to hold myself together. I've searched the boards for withdrawal effects, some who said they got over it in a few days (were you taking other meds which may have masked the WD?). I took Risp for about two years.

I suppose the WD is improving, but I am not sure if I can hold it together until the WD effects go away. Just looking for answers. I'd love to hear from someone who said they got over it, without resorting to another AP.

I know if I go to ER, they will insist that I pump myself full of a mood stabilizer or AP, which to me, is trading one addiction for another.
Take care
Thanks,
Melli
I am Alice in Wonderland...I think I took the wrong pill.

My fdoc thinks I have BPD, my 1st pdoc thinks I am "complex and very troubled", whereas the 2nd pdoc thinks I am "severely depressed", and I think PTSD. Pick one.
Valium 2x 5mg/day
I've tried so many others, but I forgot thier names...except for Risperidone, Seroquel, Trazadone, Gabbapentin, Clonazepam, Wellibutrin (ER visit).

#2 crazynotstupid

crazynotstupid

S'up yo

• Inmate
  • 2430 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:57 AM

I know if I go to ER, they will insist that I pump myself full of a mood stabilizer or AP, which to me, is trading one addiction for another.

Addiction? WTF are you talking about? Mood stabilizers and APs are NOT addicting. Nor can I see you going through any kind of withdrawals from risperdal.

I can't see anyone scripting risperdal AND a benzo (benzo alone, yeah) fpr a "fleeting anxiety". Makes me wonder...

What else is going on? What else are you taking?
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep
And miles to go before I sleep.
-Robert Frost

#3 melli

melli

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:11 AM

........Addiction? WTF are you talking about? Mood stabilizers and APs are NOT addicting. Nor can I see you going through any kind of withdrawals from risperdal.

I can't see anyone scripting risperdal AND a benzo (benzo alone, yeah) fpr a "fleeting anxiety". Makes me wonder...

Cigarettes and the Benzos listed below...no caffeine, no other drugs. Maybe I should rephrase that from addiction to physiological dependence. Whatever the case, every nerve in my body is shaking. Maybe, I am getting a paradoxical reaction to Benzos, as my bowels starting roiling an hour after my morning dose of Benzos. Something is not right, something is very wrong....

My fdoc thinks I have BPD, my 1st pdoc thinks I am "complex and very troubled", whereas the 2nd pdoc thinks I am "severely depressed", and I think PTSD. Pick one.
Valium 2x 5mg/day
I've tried so many others, but I forgot thier names...except for Risperidone, Seroquel, Trazadone, Gabbapentin, Clonazepam, Wellibutrin (ER visit).

#4 melli

melli

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:03 PM

Update: Day 17 withdrawal from Risperidone

I am tentative about saying I'll get over the WD symptoms, but they are improving. I was bed-bound for most of the day in the begginning, but now I just need an hour or so in the late morning (lingering IBS). My penchant for peeing 16 times a day (I counted) has abated to about 10 times a day. I quit any sleep meds about five days ago, as they seemed to make matters worse. As a result, I am not sleeping very well at all (catnap a lot). I've managed to start running again, which helps. Upstairs, the head-clamp feeling is slowly dissipating. Of course, I get racy thoughts now and then, but I seem to be able to quell them quickly. My appetite is still bad, but with the IBS improving, I find I can eat earlier each day (IBS worst in morning, then improves as the day goes on).

On the positive side, I can listen to music again (I can feel it).
Cheers

Valium 2x 5mg/day

#5 Cetkat

Cetkat

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe..

• Pip
  • 3096 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:19 PM

FWIW, I'd blame the Risperdal before the benzos for the IBS.. assuming those are the only factors. Even at large doses the benzos have never caused any problem with me; while Effexor has. I wouldn't be surprised if Risperdal can as well.

_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

Dx: Major Depression w/ Dysthymia and Panic Disorder, ADHD, Fibromyalgia
Pdoc's Theory Dx: Bipolar NOS (recently re-theorized by current pdoc)
Rx : Strattera 80mg, Armour Thyroid 60mg (1 gr), Nadolol prn, Xanax prn, Methocarbamol 750mg prn
EXRx : Zoloft, Seroquel, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Lamictal, Remeron, Lexapro, Abilify, Zyprexa, Geodon, Cymbalta, Paxil, Sonata, Lunesta, Effexor, Metadate, Risperdal, BuSpar, Ambien, Invega, Tegretol, Nortriptyline, Desipramine, Deplin, Neurontin, Concerta, Trazodone, Mirapex, Amitriptyline, Saphris, Prestiq

I do whatever my rice krispies tell me to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"OK so cheese is trapped, so you can't have cheese." - MDK
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _. _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

#6 Roosle

Roosle

• Pip
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:28 AM

I had brain zaps going off Risperdal, but only for about a week until the Abilify started to take over. It didn't last long, but reminded me of discontinuation syndrom that I associate with things like Effexor or Prozac. General shitty, zappy depressed stuff.

Hope it continues to improve for you. I'm confident it will.

Best of luck!
Currently: Topiramate (titrating), Valium (too many I'm sure, but take them away and I'll have your head) and Zopiclone (the godess for keeping those nasty dream things away)

Now a thing of the past: Abilify 10mg, Risperdal 1mg, Zyprexa 10mg, Cipralex 20mg along with Lithium, fluoxitine, Effexor, Depakote (I'm sure I'm forgetting a dozen more)

"Silence is so accurate" Rothko

#7 Guest_mellissam_*

Guest_mellissam_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:27 PM

FWIW, I'd blame the Risperdal before the benzos for the IBS.. assuming those are the only factors. Even at large doses the benzos have never caused any problem with me; while Effexor has. I wouldn't be surprised if Risperdal can as well.

Well, it is has been 10 weeks since I quit Risperidone. What fucking hell! 2 hospital visits and a whole lot of pain and misery. First two weeks, I couldn't see straight, fast heartbeat, sweating, lost 20 pounds, severe IBS etc....Add in a stressing move....Oh, and finally, at the 6 week mark, some therapy; only the pdoc wanted to put me on Zyprexa. Haha. I asked for Codeine, and he graciously gave me some. I think after the move, I finally calmed down. I was really fucked up prior to the move (manic???). I now have a hell of appetite, IBS is virtually gone, although sleep still sucks. I suppose it helps that I live in middle of a forest, in the middle of nowhere (Used to live in the middle of a big city), and the peace and quiet I craved is upon me. Heck, I could even reduce my Benzo without going batty.
Peace
Mellissa

#8 melli

melli

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:28 PM

The above post was me, in case you were wondering (forgot to log-in).
;)

Valium 2x 5mg/day

#9 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:51 PM

I also am going thru the same problems, my family mistreated me, and when I complained ;I was told it was my delusion and thus psyzophrenia ,the family problem needed counselling, but my dad a renowned person was perfect and I a loser was delusioned about my feelings towards such a world fame person. due to drug side effect my study suffered and now years later am jobless.Earlier used to score very high marks(used to come first in class, my first failing in class was after medications), that is before taking drugs.Risdone given by the rascal doctor has made me a full patient now, was planning to stop it but seeing your post will sure think, which is more dangerous : taking it or leaving it.

#10 Guest_aron_*

Guest_aron_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:21 PM

melli, i would not be surprised at all if what you are calling withdrawal from risperdal is actually rebound/withdrawal from your benzo. all the symptoms you described are withdrawal symptoms of benzodiazepine use. believe me, if used regularly they will do much more harm than good. they are by far the worst drug to quit- even worse than opiates. tread lightly here

#11 Guest_OneWithNature_*

Guest_OneWithNature_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:55 PM

melli, i would not be surprised at all if what you are calling withdrawal from risperdal is actually rebound/withdrawal from your benzo. all the symptoms you described are withdrawal symptoms of benzodiazepine use. believe me, if used regularly they will do much more harm than good. they are by far the worst drug to quit- even worse than opiates. tread lightly here

Hi Melli,
I couldn't agree more with Aron. The Benzo family of drugs is the worst to come off of. A family member of mine is reaping the repercussion of going off of it right now. If you can titrate off of the Benzo(s) that you are on immediately and while doing so, begin taking amino acids and other natural supplements with a sound diet. I have read all your posts. You sound intelligent enough to have observed the pattern that you are your own best doctor... so in looking out for you, search for a healthy and natural way of balancing out your body chemistry so as not to alter it even further which will only prolong problems and spawn new ones. So, again, look into natural remedies and diets to try while getting off your benzo's (and other meds) through titration type methods. You will have you to thank! My heart goest out to you....Best of luck!

#12 Guest_crazymom_*

Guest_crazymom_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

Risperdal most definitely is addictive in the sense that a brain will adjust to the drug. There are studies that suggest a developing brain is more susceptible to withdrawal, as in the developing brain, receptor density will increase. They probably increase in density over a long term in an adult brain as well. But I have never heard of anyone online or off who, after at least a year, had an easy time going off Risperdal.

Withdrawal, from what I have read, and I have done a ton of research, should be at an initial rate of 10% every two weeks, then, after 6 weeks, 20%. Take multi-vitamins, high doses of Bs--B6, B12, B3 and vitamin C. Also, Taurine--up to 1.5 to 2.0 mg--can help, as can choline. Drink protein shakes. The withdrawal is not as bad as Abilify, which has four week half life and thus truly is hard to get off of.

#13 Guest_crazymom_*

Guest_crazymom_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:14 PM

Wow. Do your run this site?

I suppose I will be kicked off for saying this. (I am going to guess you work in some way for the drug industry--writing for journals? PR? I do not disapprove of drugs, by the way, so I am not whatever y'all now call people who research and look into drugs objectively, which includes side effects, effectiveness and withdrawal issues. Are we communists now or still anti-psychiatrists? Are we hippies? )

Truly, abrupt withdrawals from certain mood stabilizers can toss someone into a dangerous mixed state. Many suicides, in fact a large percentage, occur in cases where the patient abruptly stops lithium. They now recommend slow weaning from it, because the withdrawal can lead to mixed states. My son stopped Lamictal abruptly and was in the hospital in three days. His withdrawal from abilify was a living nightmare. Just horrific.

do your homework. And if you have and are a mouthpiece for the industry, please go back and tell your boss, that if they were honest and upfront, they would sell much more drugs. If people stayed on the drugs they would have a larger revenue stream over a longer period of time. Once all this comes out after people are hooked they get mad and sales will ultimately go down. When you don't trust your doctor or the drug companies, you will not take the drug.

#14 Guest_oliverthered_*

Guest_oliverthered_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:42 AM

'withdrawl' is possibly a little bit of a miss-use of the word but only a little bit.

I was on it for 4.5 yearsish, took over 6 months for major discontinuation effects to subside. (I have ADHD/ASD not Psychosis, as ADHD is treeted with the opposite of rispiridone you can I'm sure imagine).

Basically for the first month or so, I was on a dopamine high, this then kicked into dopamine psychosis, then dropping off to more anxiety and depression as my brain started to work again.

this was the rispiridone, got the same 'brain' zaps someone mentioned here (kind of like feed back in the back of my brain, then it would knock me unconcious and I would start hallucinating and getting the kind of stuff real psychotics experiance, though I knew it was not real and this only happened when I was tired and resting.)
Lasted for well over 3 months though, not the short period the other guy had.

I also got the zaps, (shooting pain kind of zaps) after I was on prozak for a couple of months. Those took 4 years+ before they went away.

I'm prozak acute, I can take it like you would recreational drugs, -30 hours after a dose and I'll go from depressed to somewhat care free. (not euphoric), after 2 weeks or less then the mad shit and horrid anxiety and stuff start kicking in. (that's on 20mg), stopped after 3 weeks because I'd had done the job a treat and remembered about the anxiety being prozak related not left overs from risp (yeh, nasty anxiety from the risp), prozak anxiety is more acute, but easier.

currently self medicating on a micro dose of opiates (since they sort out many things you get with too much dopamine). Now been stable for a good few weeks and more like I was 5 years ago. My girlfriend thought I was a gonner, so did I. Now she laughs like she did when we first started dating 6-7 years ago.

got some appointments with the doc, and shrink ,and nurse. (they just kept trying to give me more anti-psychs, never mentioned problems may be because I'd stopped using them, just tried to feed me more).

going private, putting in just one or two 'formal' complaints. (I've already put in 10+ more informal complaints some in writing over the years I've been on the anti-psyhchs). May actually get some compensation to pay for the private medical fees and hopefully go some way to making up for the loss of any ability to concentrate/job/life in general etc... barely think, certainly not enough to work out what was wrong all that time for 5 years. IQ dropped by 15 points, told shrink, nurse, Dr all the side effects I was getting and how things were getting worse. They were wondering why it wasn't 'holding' me.

there seems to be a bit of a movement towards the thinking that they should only be proscribed for short term acute treetment and not as a method of preventing relapse. Due to discontinuation problems, side effects (turn you into a useless brain dead zombie and you don't even realize), and that people still relapse but it's then much harder to treat.
My local mental health team don't apear to have looked at anything done in the past 20 years (don't even know about adult ADHD and ASD, said ASD is never diagnosed in adults it's a childhood disease)

#15 Guest_andy_*

Guest_andy_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:11 AM

These are the exact withdrawls from it I had the same problem! Peeing 20 times a day even leakage! Search google tons of sites with all the withdraw effects.. one can actually have a sca and die! Why do doc even put us on this for slight anxiety?

#16 Guest_Blazing night_*

Guest_Blazing night_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:04 PM

Addiction? WTF are you talking about? Mood stabilizers and APs are NOT addicting. Nor can I see you going through any kind of withdrawals from risperdal.

You obviosly have no experience in the medical field. I am a nurse and I can tell you right now that your body does become physiologically addicted to them. In fact I have seen the WD be as bad when someone goes off narcs or any other hard substance. Chemically your body has to restart releasing substances that the Risperdal was previously doing for them. And YES THE BODY DOES RESPOND TO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 AnneMarie

AnneMarie

• Pip
  • 4644 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:55 PM

You obviosly have no experience in the medical field. I am a nurse and I can tell you right now that your body does become physiologically addicted to them. In fact I have seen the WD be as bad when someone goes off narcs or any other hard substance. Chemically your body has to restart releasing substances that the Risperdal was previously doing for them. And YES THE BODY DOES RESPOND TO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you please provide some citations backing that statement about how the risperdal produces chemicals your body normally does? That will be interesting since no one really knows how these meds work.

I'll agree psych meds create additions just like insulin creates an addiction, although I would not call these addictions.

It is possible to be a nurse and still be filled with stereotypes and biases and conjecture in lieu of knowledge. It's also possible to lie about who you are.

Bipolar I and ADD

#18 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:46 PM

Um, I had a hard time stopping risperdal, a bit, but it was doable. I do think some people are more susceptible/notice the w/d effects more.

I would describe the process less as addiction and more as the medications coming in and disrupting/changing the homeostasis of one's brain which is EXACTLY what they are supposed to do, FWIW, as some people's homeostasis sucks ass. I know mine did.

Lets all try to be a bit calm about this. We don't know EXACTLY what these drugs do in the brain but we do have some suspicions/evidence/thoughts about it and it's fair to say that AAPs DO STUFF.

Naturally, when you stop them, your brain and body has to adjust to them stopping DOING STUFF.

I am going through this right now with seroquel, which I have been on since 99. This is my toughest med to taper, and I'm doing it slowwwlllllyyyy, man.

I remain grateful to the quel and all it has done to treat my BP dx over the years and don't expect it to leave my body whilst presenting me with a bunch of flowers and a polite goodbye note, y'know?

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#19 Guest_survivor of risperdal_*

Guest_survivor of risperdal_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:39 AM

Hi All,

As some of you may be aware, I have quit Risperidone (11 days ago). Not to frighten anyone, but I am going bonkers. I get body shakes, racing heart and a feeling of anxiety through most of the day. Before I started this med, I was NEVER like this...A GDoc prescribed it (and a fucking Benzo) for anxiety over the loss of close relative I took care of, in her final months. Back then, I would get anxious, but it was fleeting. Now it takes all my energy to hold myself together. I've searched the boards for withdrawal effects, some who said they got over it in a few days (were you taking other meds which may have masked the WD?). I took Risp for about two years.

I suppose the WD is improving, but I am not sure if I can hold it together until the WD effects go away. Just looking for answers. I'd love to hear from someone who said they got over it, without resorting to another AP.

Take care
Thanks,
Melli

#20 Guest_riperdal survivor_*

Guest_riperdal survivor_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:02 AM

Hi everyone!STAY AWAY FROM RISPERDAL! It sounds like most people had the probs I did with risperdal but not AS difficult: Possibly, one reason It was so difficult on me is I was diagnosed wrong. I am actually an anxious, stressed out person. My Dr. started me out mid-level and then within months I was on the highest dosage because everytime I reported that things were getting much worse and I was much more anxious, the dosage was upped. I was starting to lose my own existence. at one point the Dr. caused me to overdose on risperdal and I was treated in the E.R. they gave me pain pills because I couldn't stop rocking my body and legs back and forth. My Dr. was on the hospital board, so they would not recommend I go off this med that caused me to overdose. so I went to my General Dr. and he gave me a high dosage of an anxiety meds used for cancer patients (can't remember the name) and he would not give me xanax or any clonzepam and he weaned me gradually off the risperdal. I was in literal HELL for at least two months. I thought the withdrawl effects would never stop. I should not have been working at all. I completely could not sleep for all those months. day after day with absolutely no sleep and heavy withdrawl symptoms. I had to tell myself each and every minute that I could make it through this. lunch hours, I would go to the park and walk. count my steps, pray, cry, beg anything to stop the shaking, the fears, the heavy heartbeats, the horrible feeling of death was over me for months. I finally withdrew from this med. This is a very dangerous med at least for me and I have found info that it is frequently used for elderly patients. They did not tell me this was a scitzophrinic med, or I would have been alarmed because I had not reported any type of scitzophernia and I believe a lot of people should not be on this. especially if they show no signs of scitzo. I am now on physical disability and I believe that the risperdal had long lasting complications of my nervous system. God knows I am nowhere like I was when I was on risperdal but my nervous system is seriously damaged. I am currently on 1mg 3xdaily of xanax. I find relief most days with that dosage but somedays my nervous system just tears me apart. My current diagnosises are fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, hypothyroidism, paralysis of the stomach, depression and severe stress disorder. Of course I was never in perfect condition or I wouldn't have ended up being on risperdal but I can't help but feel as if risperdal is what sent me physically and emotionally to spiral out of control. each day is very difficult now and I never did get back my natural state of being. Please think twice before getting near this medication. I was used as a guinea pig and I fear that this happens to a lot of people. STAY AWAY FROM RISPERDAL!

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.