Clonazepam for sleep

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 papertrees

papertrees

• Pip
  • 753 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 05:53 AM

I was just prescribes clonazepam (the generic one) for sleep. How does it fare compared to xanax/vallium? Is it stronger, more potent, or can I expect not to sleep again tonight? I was prescribed 2mg to take at bedtime.

Any replies before I take it would be very very welcome.

Edited to add: It's brand name is Ritrovil. I read in wikipedia that this is the Brand name here in Asia and Europe. Anyone tried this already? I read about the difference between generic and brand name Klonopin, but is Ritrovil, which is supposedly the equivalent of Klonopin here, just as good?

Edited by papertrees, 15 September 2007 - 06:00 AM.

Visit my blog: Paperskyscrapers
Diagnosis: Schizoaffective, Bipolar Type; Borderline personality disorder; Anorexia nervosa
Meds: Saphris 10mg, Lamictal 200mg, Valium 10mg.

#2 Kablume

Kablume

Pseudo princess

• Pip
  • 626 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 05:10 PM

I take 3mg at night for sleep and it works for me. I take the generic. Don't know about the comparison to Xanax and Valium as both are highly addictive.
"Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops."
Cary Grant

RX:
Topamax 50 mg
Abilify 5 mg
Wellbutrin XL 450mg
Trazadone 300 mg.
Estrogen patch 0.1 mg
Metoprolol 25mg
Simvastatin 40mg

DX: Bipolar I

#3 melli

melli

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:56 PM

I was just prescribes clonazepam (the generic one) for sleep. How does it fare compared to xanax/vallium? Is it stronger, more potent, or can I expect not to sleep again tonight? I was prescribed 2mg to take at bedtime.

I use to take 0.5-1mg of generic Clonazepam for sleep (worked well). If you take a look at the Benzo comparison chart (see attached - found link to file somewhere on this board), you can see the differences. Clonazepam is one potent benzo (mg for mg). I've been tapering and switching over to Valium (longer half life). They say 1 mg of Clonazepam = 20 mg of Valium, but I am having a rough time when I did the conversion over to Valium. Xanax, from what I can tell (never taken it) is a potent short half-life benzo (prone to rebound symptoms).

IMHO 2mg should more than do the job.

Note: before I got on the med WD bandwagon, I felt Clonazepam's half-life wasn't long enough (felt rebound symptoms before 12 hours were up). I was taking 0.5mg twice a day. The jury is still out on whether Valium will help me avoid rebound symptoms.

Hope you will get a good sleep, unlike myself. ;)

Attached Files

Edited by melli, 15 September 2007 - 06:58 PM.

I am Alice in Wonderland...I think I took the wrong pill.

My fdoc thinks I have BPD, my 1st pdoc thinks I am "complex and very troubled", whereas the 2nd pdoc thinks I am "severely depressed", and I think PTSD. Pick one.
Valium 2x 5mg/day
I've tried so many others, but I forgot thier names...except for Risperidone, Seroquel, Trazadone, Gabbapentin, Clonazepam, Wellibutrin (ER visit).

#4 LikeMinded

LikeMinded

Too many answers, not enough questions.

• Pip
  • 2125 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:46 PM

A lot of people on here seem to be fans of clonazepam as a sleep aid. Considering its properties, it can make an excellent aid for the maintenance of sleep.

My experience was a bit different -- at the doses required for me to sleep well (4 mg), I'd get out of bed each morning and stagger about as if drunk (and I haven't touched alcohol for over a year!), and once this led to a fall whereby I banged the back of my head on a marble countertop, spun around, and then came down and banged the exact same spot on my head on a ceramic bathtub corner.

Turns out that the clonazepam, a central respiratory depressant, was giving me "central sleep apnea", i.e., I wasn't breathing enough at night and my brain was slightly starved of oxygen, making me a bit hung over in the morning.

Your ambulation may vary...

CAUTION: I'm a graduate computational medicine/allied health information student, and NOT a licensed clinician of any sort in any part of the world.  I can come up with lots of algorithms, generalities, and statistics but cannot provide specific medical advice for you!  You, along with your healthcare provider/pdoc/tdoc/etc. are the best decision makers for what is best!

Me: MDD, AD/HD, Asperger's/HFA/PDD-NOS/WTF, REM behavioral disorder/misc. sleep issues, some variant of PTSD... toss in hypothyroidism, post-meningitis-related Parkinson's disease/tremor, early stage pulmonary hypertension from a connective tissue disorder that wants me dead before age 60, and a few misc. manly hormone issues, and you'll get a few insights on where that PTSD came from.

Now on: Cymbalta, mirtazapine, oxybutynin, clonazepam, lamotrigine, clonidine, levothyroxine, metformin, Testim.  As Velvet Elvis implied, I sound like a freakin' maraca salesman when I go through airport security.

#5 Cetkat

Cetkat

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe..

• Pip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 02:11 AM

Klonopin is generally weaker than Xanax, but it lasts longer. Anything that relaxes you will help with falling asleep.. but with the benzo's you risk getting so used to it that you need a higher dose to do the same thing. If it's just for sleep I'd recommend trying other alternatives before using the benzos. Of course, you might have already tried that...

_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

Dx: Major Depression w/ Dysthymia and Panic Disorder, ADHD, Fibromyalgia
Pdoc's Theory Dx: Bipolar NOS (recently re-theorized by current pdoc)
Rx : Strattera 80mg, Armour Thyroid 60mg (1 gr), Nadolol prn, Xanax prn, Methocarbamol 750mg prn
EXRx : Zoloft, Seroquel, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Lamictal, Remeron, Lexapro, Abilify, Zyprexa, Geodon, Cymbalta, Paxil, Sonata, Lunesta, Effexor, Metadate, Risperdal, BuSpar, Ambien, Invega, Tegretol, Nortriptyline, Desipramine, Deplin, Neurontin, Concerta, Trazodone, Mirapex, Amitriptyline, Saphris, Prestiq

I do whatever my rice krispies tell me to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"All of life is a struggle. It's a struggle just to get out of bed in the morning. You're fighting gravity all day long." - Richard Rose
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _. _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

#6 papertrees

papertrees

• Pip
  • 753 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:20 AM

Thank you all for your replies. Since I posted this yesterday, I've been able to get 10 hours of sleep from Clonazepam. Im keeping a close watch on myself, though, because I tend to be on the addictive side. So there. Thank you!!!

Visit my blog: Paperskyscrapers
Diagnosis: Schizoaffective, Bipolar Type; Borderline personality disorder; Anorexia nervosa
Meds: Saphris 10mg, Lamictal 200mg, Valium 10mg.

#7 tek

tek

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:02 AM

My short experience with taking Clonazepam late in the day or for bed time resulted in tons of intense grogginess and trouble getting out of bed the next morning. Unfortunately, I don't have the option to sleep it off since I have two small children and I usually work full time (on medical leave for another week, though). My pdoc and I expected this side effect to go away within a few weeks of regular use, but it hasn't. A couple of days ago, we replaced 1mg of Clonazepam with 2mg of Ativan at bedtime, and it seems to be just a smidge better. Way less groggy, though still some trouble waking up enough to quit hitting snooze and actually leave the bed 2-3 hours later than planned. If this keeps up, I'm afraid benzos just won't be a good idea for my sleep routine. ;)
REMISSION FOR THE WIN!!!!

Dx: ADD, recurring major depression (w/ anxiety), initial insomnia
...CSMS (chronic shitty mood syndrome), BHLFBBM (bad habits learned from bipolar borderline mom)

Crap down the trap: Lamictal 200mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Provigil 200mg, Ativan 0.5 mg BID, Seroquel 50-100mg bedtime

Ex-Rx: Adderall XR, Adderall IR, Lexapro, Prozac, Effexor XR, Abilify, Risperdal, Ambien, Klonopin, Lunesta, Propranolol, Kephlex, Bactrim

#8 FairlyOddParent

FairlyOddParent

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:35 PM

I like Klonopin because it doesn't make me feel hung over the next morning. I take .5-1mg, sometimes in the day for anxiety, sometimes at night for help falling asleep. It doesn't always help me stay asleep, so I'm taking Seroquel. I figure if I have to take something for bp, might as well make the most of the side effects of sleeping that Seroquel gives.

Edited by FairlyOddParent, 03 November 2007 - 07:35 PM.

Dx: Bipolar 1

Rx: Lithium 600mg and increasing, Seroquel 100mg, Vistaril 100mg, Singulair 10mg. Wellbutrin SR 150mg, Prozac 20mg (trying to wean off,) Klonopin up to 1mg as needed, Allegra-D 12hr a.m. only, hydrocodone as needed (rarely for migraines)

Past Rx: Trileptal, Abilify

#9 Vitriol

Vitriol

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:01 PM

I tried a lot of benzos and Klonopin is one of those who has no effect on me.

So Klonopin, Serax (oxazepam) and Restoril (temazepam) just dont work at all for me.

Ativan, Xanax, Lexotan, (bromazepam) and Dalmane are the best I tried for both sleeping and GAD. (note , I dont recommend Dalmane, withdrawal symptoms are the worst I ever got).

I would say that the best sleeping pill I ever use is Imovane (zopiclone). You fell asleep in 30 min and you wake up 7 hours later in pefect shape ;) . But its not a benzo, so you cant use it for GAD unless you want to sleep 24/24.
Dx: GAD, PD, OCD, Insomnia, HBP, Tinnitus
Rx: Lexotan 6mg, Indapamide 1.25mg, Nappien 30mg, Ignorital 500mg
ExRx: Lexapro, Effexor, Celexa, Remeron, Aventyl, Ativan, Xanax, Dalmane, Imovane, Serax, Restoril, Klonopin, Trazodone

Walk in silence

#10 Loon-A-TiK

Loon-A-TiK

Is there no way out of the mind? - Sylvia Plath

• Pip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:18 PM

i've taken ativan, xanax, and klonopin, and i'm sticking to the klonopin, both as an anti-anxiety agent and sleep aid. i sleep about 8-9 hours and wake up fine. if i get up at night i can go back to sleep without problems, and haven't hit my head on the sink or bathtub yet! ;)
DX-BP1 w/psychotic symptoms, PTSD, ADD (Inattentive), and body dysmorphic disorder
Daily RX- WB 300mg, Lamictal 400mg, Abilify 20mg, Adderall XR 30mg, Inderal 10mgx2, Nuvaring
a multi-vitamin, hair/skin/nails vitamin, super 50-b complex vitamin, flax oil

prn- Zyprexa 10-20mg for emergencies

In memory of my dad, BP1 suicide. I love you and miss you!

EX RX- Seroquel, Risperdal, Geodon (master of all that is evil), Zyprexa (the good stuff), Zyprexa Zydis, Trazadon, Depakote, Lithium, Serzone, Paxil, Effexor, Lexapro, Haldol, Strattera, Topamax, Symmetrel, other old school ACs, and more I can't remember now

"Can a selfish egocentric jealous and unimaginative female write a damn thing worthwhile?" - Sylvia Plath

If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it at all.

#11 HaloGirl66

HaloGirl66

Wannabe Timelord

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 967 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 06:58 PM

Just a word of warning for those who use benzos for sleep - over the long term it might take higher and higher doses to make you sleepy - its quite easy for some to get sensitized to high doses - and it can be hard to get off of when you need to. Just something to take into consideration when you make your choices concerning insomnia treatment
I am *not* any kind of medical professional. I can't spell either. I do the best I can.

My brain cooties: ADD, Wicked Insomnia, SI, Nonverbal Learning Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Periodic Depression and various neurological issues.

Current Meds: 10mg Ambien & 2 mg Xanax at bedtime, 1mg Xanax XR in the morning, 10mg Flexril as needed, 40mg Adderal
Not gonna list previous meds because this signature ain't long enough!

And when I squinted the world seemed rose-tinted
And angels appeared to descend
To my surprise with half-closed eyes
Things looked even better than when they were opened...

M. Gore

#12 Thomas

Thomas

• Pip
  • 2051 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:51 AM

I take 1 mg. of klonopin and 30 mg. of restoril in order to sleep. I'm fine by morning, but when the cat decides she wants breakfast at 3 AM, I am somewhat groggy and have to be very careful walking out to the kitchen so I don't bump into too many things (especially non-soft things).

Tommy

PS I also take 1 mg. of klonopin 3 X during the daytime.

Edited by Her Tommy, 13 November 2007 - 09:51 AM.

Dx:BP1, OCD, Diabetetes Type 2, Hypertension, Gastroparesis & kidney stones
Rx: Abilify 20 mg., Klonopin 6.0 mg., Restoril 30 mg. Cymbalta 120 mg. , Lamictal 400 mg., Cogentin 1.5 mg. Crestor 10 mg. hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg., Hyzaar 100/25 mg., domperidone 20 mg. and Levemir Insulin 40 units, Actos 45 mg.,Proprananol ER 80 mg., Hydrocodone/APAP 40 mg./4000 mg., tizanidine 1 mg., Fiorocet 3 mg.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.