Prozac, Abilify and Lamictal

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 papertrees

papertrees

• Pip
  • 753 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:11 AM

I'm starting prozac tomorrow and was wondering about the side effects. I've read the old posts, but they are conflicting. Are there definite side effects that I should expect to get? Also, is my cocktail good?

Visit my blog: Paperskyscrapers
Diagnosis: Schizoaffective, Bipolar Type; Borderline personality disorder; Anorexia nervosa
Meds: Saphris 10mg, Lamictal 200mg, Valium 10mg.

#2 mel1

mel1

mel1

• Pip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:20 PM

The only side effect I had on Prozac was some mild nausea that lasted about 3 weeks. But it wasn't bad enough for me to go off it. It also took about that long to kick in. But it worked really good. For anxiety and depression. Maybe I will try it again! I also take Abilfiy adn Lamictal. The Abilify takes away depression. Lamictal... who knows? I think I just take it.
"I cannot do everything, but I can do something."-Helen Keller
My ADHD mantra.

current dx: Bipolar 2, GAD s/ Panic Disorder, dysthymia, MDD, ADHD
current rx: seroqel- 100 mg-50 am and 50 at bedtime; Lamictal-100-am, 200-pm; Klonopin-.5-TID

#3 MaiaM

MaiaM

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:34 PM

Hm.. I can't comment on your cocktail as I don't have any experience with Abilify and Lamictal. Prozac was the first psychiatric med I was on, and it worked for me (as monotherapy). I did have high expectations it would be a success - I'd just read "Listening to Prozac" (this was during the time Prozac was being touted as a miracle that could make people 'better than well'). Not that I was well. I took it during a bout of serious depression and felt better almost immediately, probably due in part to cloud-high expectations. It did make me feel nauseous, which I tried to soothe with ginger (raw and candied), with mixed success. I lost some weight on it - what with all that nausea - but I was pretty thin to start with.
Ah yes, and I did have trouble reaching orgasm - ok, I never had an orgasm on it, actually, but I was also quite new to sex and didn't know quite what to do. Prozac also made me sweaty. I started wearing black tops only to mask the damp spots. (sorry if that's gross.) That surprised my psychiatrist so that was probably quite a rare side effect.

But I do remember feeling quite good, a lot more social and, well, happy. I finally went off of it because of elevated anxiety, and to try life med-free. But that's another story.

I really hope it works for you, papertrees.

Maia
dx: dysthymia, social anxiety disorder, ADD
past rx: Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, Klonopin, Remeron, Edronax, Moclobemide, Wellbutrin

#4 papertrees

papertrees

• Pip
  • 753 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:21 PM

I hope so too... I just read somewhere that there is an interaction between prozac and abilify. I wonder about this..

Diagnosis: Schizoaffective, Bipolar Type; Borderline personality disorder; Anorexia nervosa

#5 Cetkat

Cetkat

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe..

• Pip
  • 3220 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:51 PM

I hope so too... I just read somewhere that there is an interaction between prozac and abilify. I wonder about this..

Only in that both interact with serotonin. It shouldn't be a problem for you. I can't remember if I was still on Prozac when I took Cymbalta and Abilify or not, but I didn't have any conflict. My start-up effects were: Nausea, Headache, Dizziness & Tremor. All eventually went away.

_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

Dx: Major Depression w/ Dysthymia, Panic Disorder, GAD, ADHD, Fibromyalgia
Pdoc's Theory Dx: Bipolar NOS (MDD with BP traits w/o hypo or mania)
Rx : Emsam 12mg/24hr, Strattera 80mg, Lyrica 150mg, Armour Thyroid 120mg (2 gr), Zofran prn, Nadolol prn, Xanax prn, Methocarbamol 750mg prn, D3 4,000IU
EXRx : Zoloft, Seroquel, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Lamictal, Remeron, Lexapro, Abilify, Zyprexa, Geodon, Cymbalta, Paxil, Sonata, Lunesta, Effexor, Metadate, Risperdal, BuSpar, Ambien, Invega, Tegretol, Nortriptyline, Desipramine, Deplin, Neurontin, Concerta, Trazodone, Mirapex, Amitriptyline, Saphris, Prestiq, Requip

I do whatever my rice krispies tell me to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"OK so cheese is trapped, so you can't have cheese." - MDK
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _. _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

#6 papertrees

papertrees

• Pip
  • 753 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:11 AM

Thanks..

#7 Loon-A-TiK

Loon-A-TiK

Is there no way out of the mind? - Sylvia Plath

• Pip
  • 4902 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:24 PM

i take abilify and lamictal, and have taken the SSRI paxil rather than prozac. but i can talk about taking paxil and the start-up on that/side effects.

in the beginning it made me manic. i was flying high as a kite when my pdoc put me on Li with it. so i had the combo of Li and paxil for years. i think the Li was responsible for bringing me out of my mania.

so, watch out for manias.

watch out for nausea.

abilify is self-regulating and will only touch what needs to be touched, at least that's how my pdoc explained it to me. i wouldn't worry about it interacting because the abilify will adjust itself, again, according to my pdoc.

i'm thinking of going back on paxil, the one thing that ever touched my deepest depressions. the meds i have now prevent but don't treat it, at least as far as my feeling it goes.

i hope that's of some use in evaluating prozac. i haven't taken it, but i took a similar drug and it had a few side effects before Li was added (I"m bp1).
DX-BP1 w/psychotic symptoms, PTSD, ADD (Inattentive), and body dysmorphic disorder
Daily RX- WB 300mg, Lamictal 400mg, Abilify 20mg, Adderall XR 30mg, Inderal 10mgx2, Nuvaring
a multi-vitamin, hair/skin/nails vitamin, super 50-b complex vitamin, flax oil

prn- Zyprexa 10-20mg for emergencies

In memory of my dad, BP1 suicide. I love you and miss you!

EX RX- Seroquel, Risperdal, Geodon (master of all that is evil), Zyprexa (the good stuff), Zyprexa Zydis, Trazadon, Depakote, Lithium, Serzone, Paxil, Effexor, Lexapro, Haldol, Strattera, Topamax, Symmetrel, other old school ACs, and more I can't remember now

"Can a selfish egocentric jealous and unimaginative female write a damn thing worthwhile?" - Sylvia Plath

If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it at all.

#8 papertrees

papertrees

• Pip
  • 753 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:46 AM

Thanks all for your inputs. What is the recommended dosage for Prozac? I am on 20mg only.

#9 witchywoman

witchywoman

Invisible

• Pip
  • 893 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:33 PM

I don't know about Prozac as I've never been on it, but I give a big thumbs up to Lamictal and Abilify together. I was on Lexapro, Lamictal, and Abilify once upon a time, and it was the best combo ever for me. Until my pdoc, for some reason, decided I could start going off some of it. This was before I was diagnosed bipolar. Plus I gained a ton of weight (might not happen to you, don't worry. I think it was the Lexapro anyway), so that could've been the reason why he took me off, I really don't remember. Anyway, it was a good med combo for me, hopefully it works out for you. Good luck!
Dx: Bipolar I, OCD
Crazy Meds: Prozac 40 mg, Trileptal 1200 mg, Klonopin .5 mg
Other meds: Nexium 40 mg, Synthroid 75 mcg

#10 Cetkat

Cetkat

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe..

• Pip
  • 3220 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:28 AM

CrazyMeds' Prozac Page

Depression - 20mg in the morning, increasing by 20mg a day after at least a week, taken either in the morning or at noon until a maximum of 80mg a day is reached.

_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

Dx: Major Depression w/ Dysthymia, Panic Disorder, GAD, ADHD, Fibromyalgia
Pdoc's Theory Dx: Bipolar NOS (MDD with BP traits w/o hypo or mania)
Rx : Emsam 12mg/24hr, Strattera 80mg, Lyrica 150mg, Armour Thyroid 120mg (2 gr), Zofran prn, Nadolol prn, Xanax prn, Methocarbamol 750mg prn, D3 4,000IU
EXRx : Zoloft, Seroquel, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Lamictal, Remeron, Lexapro, Abilify, Zyprexa, Geodon, Cymbalta, Paxil, Sonata, Lunesta, Effexor, Metadate, Risperdal, BuSpar, Ambien, Invega, Tegretol, Nortriptyline, Desipramine, Deplin, Neurontin, Concerta, Trazodone, Mirapex, Amitriptyline, Saphris, Prestiq, Requip

I do whatever my rice krispies tell me to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"OK so cheese is trapped, so you can't have cheese." - MDK
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _. _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

#11 Guest_Naia_*

Guest_Naia_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:55 AM

Hello, consider deeply before taking Abilify and Prozac together. I just lost a brother to suicide who had been on Abilify for over a year and then was started on Prozac the end of March. Someone had missed his medication pass for over a 24 hours period and he was found dead that following day after the missed medication pass. I honestly believe this is a dangerous combination but that is from my experience. I do not have a brother now and I would not put anyone on Prozac. There are alternative therapies to these antidepressants. My Mother is elderly and takes only 2 Depakot (Doc wanted her to take 4...she could not handle 4...she had reactions) pills a day for bipolar swings...it seems to work like magic for her. I would suggest looking into another source of medictions...I have read horrible things about the use of antidepressants and will not put my Mother on them...and if I had known that they had started my brother on Prozac...this would have been discontinued and maybe he would still be here.

Warnging...be careful with these medications...do a lot of research!!!! If you are taking these drugs ....know the warnings and the side effects and adverse reactions. Be proactive in your care because often the doctor's prescribe medications without thinking about a person's weight or tolerance level to drug therapy...

Look out for YOURSELF because believe me...nobody else will...especially the medical profession. The third leading cause of death is negligence/malpractice in this country...Cancer and heart disease are the first 2...

#12 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:51 AM

Hello, consider deeply before taking Abilify and Prozac together. I just lost a brother to suicide who had been on Abilify for over a year and then was started on Prozac the end of March. Someone had missed his medication pass for over a 24 hours period and he was found dead that following day after the missed medication pass.

If your brother was in-patient in a mental ward at the time - you mention someone missing his "medication pass" - there must have been more going on in his life than just the medication combination.

..and if I had known that they had started my brother on Prozac...this would have been discontinued and maybe he would still be here.

You cannot know that for sure.

Instead of resurrecting dead topics on bulletin boards around the internet, I think you'd be better off getting some grief counselling for your mother and yourself. Playing the "if I had known" scenarios in your head might help you focus your anger at this moment, but it's horribly self-destructive in the long run as it too often becomes "if *I* had known"

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.