• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 subvenish

subvenish

Lost in Boston

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:19 PM

I've been on Celexa 40mg for about 6 weeks now. Two weeks were ramping up to that. Despite that, I'm fucking utterly miserable (and getting worse! Hooray!). Let's just run down the checklist shall we?

-Barely making it to work, or calling off frequently. (Called off for 5 days over alst monnth)
-Disappointing my partner (Didn't get her car emissions checked despite promising for three days
-Lack of Motivation to accomplish dick at work or at home
-Sleeping sooo much. My alarm means nothing to me.
-Crying. Over small things (Dropped my treo) over big things. (I'm a dyke, parents won't talk to me anymore. Eff them.)
-Suicidal. Getting to the point where I'm scared. Think about death constantly. Wrote a "practice note" and I'm eyeing the Tobin bridge (I'm in Boston) as more and more tempting. I've told my therapist and Pdoc most of this, except the note part. I do not want to get committed. That will likely flip me out. (I have a Horrible and totally unreasonable of Hospitals..)

So yea. Celexa murdered/wiped out my anxiety. yay! I mean that's great. I still drop .5mg of Klon or 1mg of Klonopin to sleep when the restless and suicidal thought get too be too much, but that makes me oversleep a bit, which sucks.

My dog tryed .5mg of Risperdal to augment the Celexa. It made me incredibly sleepy not matter what time of day over teh 5 days that I took it. And I still felt like shit, and was now totally unable to concentrate.

So, he then tried 25mg of seroquel. Holy Jebus that makes me sleep well. For 12 effing hours. And it gave me electric blue shocks behind my eyelids when I closed my eyes. And my mind felt spazzy, racy, and just way out on the nether world. I felt totally disconnected. So I quit that after 5 days.

I'm going back to my PDoc on sat to get my shit adjusted. I'm thinking of asking for some SNRI.. Maybe WellBXL, or Cymbalta. Plus a less powerful anti-anxiety pill that brings the angst down/makes you sleepy, but has a quicker fall off. (Got any names?) I need sleep help, but Ambien (From a few years back) totally messes me up, and Lunesta is something I'd rather not touch. And I just prefer the damn benzos since I know how they work.

Previously (5+ years ago) had a Heroin habit (IV) Coke, pot and more, but have been clean (fuck, I don't even smoke anymore) since 2004. God, right now I really want a smoke. Really do.

I've been Diag'd with Major Depression.

Any ideas for meds? I'm at the end of my mental rope here. and I'm pretty damn adverse to try anything other than an SSRI or SNRI. Since the two Anti-psychotics have already made me feel like shit, I don't want those things anymore.

#2 Cetkat

Cetkat

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe..

• Pip
  • 3085 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:33 PM

It sounds like the Celexa isn't working for your depression at all. There's a chance it could get better if you stay on it longer.. but it has been 6 weeks without anything positive besides anti-anxiety. Have you tried any other SSRI's? Zoloft and Paxil are the top two for Depression and Anxiety. You usually want to give other SSRI's a try before going to Cymbalta or Effexor - but it's not unheard of to try those at the beginning. Another option would be the mood stabilizers like Lamictal and Lithium.. those are different enough without being AP's.

You can try Wellbutrin or Remeron.. but they are usually used to augment some other medication. Remeron in particular can be used to help your sleep, but not everyone finds it sedating.

Why wouldn't you want Lunesta?

Another sleep med you could try is Sonata. You've already taken Seroquel.. Trazodone can be rx'ed for sleep too.

_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

Dx: Major Depression w/ Dysthymia and Panic Disorder, ADHD, Fibromyalgia
Pdoc's Theory Dx: Bipolar NOS (recently re-theorized by current pdoc)
Rx : Strattera 80mg, Armour Thyroid 60mg (1 gr), Nadolol prn, Xanax prn, Methocarbamol 750mg prn
EXRx : Zoloft, Seroquel, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Lamictal, Remeron, Lexapro, Abilify, Zyprexa, Geodon, Cymbalta, Paxil, Sonata, Lunesta, Effexor, Metadate, Risperdal, BuSpar, Ambien, Invega, Tegretol, Nortriptyline, Desipramine, Deplin, Neurontin, Concerta, Trazodone, Mirapex, Amitriptyline, Saphris, Prestiq

I do whatever my rice krispies tell me to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"OK so cheese is trapped, so you can't have cheese." - MDK
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _. _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

#3 subvenish

subvenish

Lost in Boston

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:45 PM

It sounds like the Celexa isn't working for your depression at all. There's a chance it could get better if you stay on it longer.. but it has been 6 weeks without anything positive besides anti-anxiety. Have you tried any other SSRI's? Zoloft and Paxil are the top two for Depression and Anxiety. You usually want to give other SSRI's a try before going to Cymbalta or Effexor - but it's not unheard of to try those at the beginning. Another option would be the mood stabilizers like Lamictal and Lithium.. those are different enough without being AP's.

You can try Wellbutrin or Remeron.. but they are usually used to augment some other medication. Remeron in particular can be used to help your sleep, but not everyone finds it sedating.

Why wouldn't you want Lunesta?

Another sleep med you could try is Sonata. You've already taken Seroquel.. Trazodone can be rx'ed for sleep too.

Haven't tried any other SSRI's at all. This is really my first time around ever, going to a therapist/Pdoc and getting meds. Previously illicit drugs fixed everything. I'm just terribly let down that my first SSRI didn't work at all. (Ok, it helped the anxiety, but that was always minor.)

I'm kind of anti-sleeping meds in general. My family seems to have a history (4 out of 5 of them) of waking up on Ambien/Lunesta/etc and wandering around. I'm not too keen on tempting genetics/fate for that. Fact of the amtter is, if I take a benzo I get results that I expect, and not wandering around the house and stepping on my cats. ;)

Oh, and Trazadone is also no go. Forgot that I took it for roughly one week about a decade ago, and it gave me the creeping horrors, plus nightmares beyond all belief. (Bust aside from that, I've never, ever took any other psych meds.)

#4 remote_swimmer

remote_swimmer

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:29 PM

Haven't tried any other SSRI's at all. This is really my first time around ever, going to a therapist/Pdoc and getting meds. Previously illicit drugs fixed everything. I'm just terribly let down that my first SSRI didn't work at all. (Ok, it helped the anxiety, but that was always minor.)

I'm kind of anti-sleeping meds in general. My family seems to have a history (4 out of 5 of them) of waking up on Ambien/Lunesta/etc and wandering around. I'm not too keen on tempting genetics/fate for that. Fact of the amtter is, if I take a benzo I get results that I expect, and not wandering around the house and stepping on my cats. ;)

Oh, and Trazadone is also no go. Forgot that I took it for roughly one week about a decade ago, and it gave me the creeping horrors, plus nightmares beyond all belief. (Bust aside from that, I've never, ever took any other psych meds.)

I know it seems overwhelming now, but it's not uncommon for the first SSRI not to work. The first SSRI I took was Zoloft and my reaction to it sounds similar to your reaction to Celexa. Fortunately, I found a couple of other SSRIs that I did respond to very well.

Six weeks is the minimum time to give an anti-depressant to determine its efficacy. If I were you, I'd speak with my doctor about increasing the dosage and if that isn't an option, then trying a different SSRI. If your problem is depression and mild anxiety, then I would personally try to find a single med that you respond to before attempting to augment what you are currently taking with another med. That's just me though...I'd rather take as few meds as possible.
GAD/recurrent Major depression: Rx.: Effexor XR 150 mg, 0.5 mg lorazepam (when needed)
Past meds: Paxil, Prozac, Buspar, Lexapro, Zoloft

#5 subvenish

subvenish

Lost in Boston

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:47 PM

Six weeks is the minimum time to give an anti-depressant to determine its efficacy. If I were you, I'd speak with my doctor about increasing the dosage and if that isn't an option, then trying a different SSRI. If your problem is depression and mild anxiety, then I would personally try to find a single med that you respond to before attempting to augment what you are currently taking with another med. That's just me though...I'd rather take as few meds as possible.

He said I should have seen some results in 2-4 weeks. 6 later and Nothing, nada, zilch. he also said that due to my small size, he's hesitant to put me on more than 40mg, since that's really all my body would need.

But, we'll hopefully see. Actually visiting his office tomorrow, crossing my fingers for some newer angle.

#6 remote_swimmer

remote_swimmer

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:21 PM

He said I should have seen some results in 2-4 weeks. 6 later and Nothing, nada, zilch. he also said that due to my small size, he's hesitant to put me on more than 40mg, since that's really all my body would need.

But, we'll hopefully see. Actually visiting his office tomorrow, crossing my fingers for some newer angle.

Well, I'm just parroting the the usual PI sheet nonsense. ;) In my experience, I can tell if I am going to respond postively to a med within a couple of weeks. I usually get an immediate response (talking here specifically about SSRIs) of happy wiredness which then trails off after a couple of days then followed by a gradual reduction of symptoms. For me, meds can take many weeks to demonstrate a satisfactory reduction in symptoms, especially Effexor which seems to take its sweet time to kick in.

Regardless, yeah, after six weeks at a clinically effective dose of a med and not feeling any improvement: it's time to move on. I gave Lexapro (the active metabolite of Celexa) six weeks and didn't do much of anything for me. My pdoc then put me on Paxil and noticed improvement by the end of the first week...

Good luck!
GAD/recurrent Major depression: Rx.: Effexor XR 150 mg, 0.5 mg lorazepam (when needed)
Past meds: Paxil, Prozac, Buspar, Lexapro, Zoloft

#7 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:00 PM

I've been on Celexa 40mg for about 6 weeks now. Two weeks were ramping up to that. Despite that, I'm fucking utterly miserable (and getting worse! Hooray!). Let's just run down the checklist shall we?

I've been Diag'd with Major Depression.

Any ideas for meds? I'm at the end of my mental rope here. and I'm pretty damn adverse to try anything other than an SSRI or SNRI. Since the two Anti-psychotics have already made me feel like shit, I don't want those things anymore.

Hopefully you got some good news at today's appt. As with others here, Zoloft came to mind, also Prozac - that might not be as motivation-killing.
Personally, I think Cymbalta could be a good option as well - as a primary or as an augment - even though it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#8 Cetkat

Cetkat

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe..

• Pip
  • 3085 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 05:02 PM

May be a moot point now.. But if your pdoc wants to stick with the Celexa, you could always do a blood test to see how much is in your system. That way if it's low enough you could raise the dose without worrying about your size.

_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

Dx: Major Depression w/ Dysthymia and Panic Disorder, ADHD, Fibromyalgia
Pdoc's Theory Dx: Bipolar NOS (recently re-theorized by current pdoc)
Rx : Strattera 80mg, Armour Thyroid 60mg (1 gr), Nadolol prn, Xanax prn, Methocarbamol 750mg prn
EXRx : Zoloft, Seroquel, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Lamictal, Remeron, Lexapro, Abilify, Zyprexa, Geodon, Cymbalta, Paxil, Sonata, Lunesta, Effexor, Metadate, Risperdal, BuSpar, Ambien, Invega, Tegretol, Nortriptyline, Desipramine, Deplin, Neurontin, Concerta, Trazodone, Mirapex, Amitriptyline, Saphris, Prestiq

I do whatever my rice krispies tell me to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"OK so cheese is trapped, so you can't have cheese." - MDK
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _. _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

#9 subvenish

subvenish

Lost in Boston

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:14 PM

And the winner was.. Zoloft. Slowly cutting back on my Celexa, and slowly going into Zoloft. (only on 50mg right now, and back down to 30mg on the celexa.. this will continue to tilt upward for the next few weeks). So far (I mean it's only been three days) something feels a touch different, and a good way. Went on some weird house-cleaning spree yesterday that thrilled my partner to no end. Not sure where that came from, but I can't deny that I like that.

Also, he gave me some .5mg Zoloft to help with sleep (Rotate out with the klonopin) although he said there should be less insomnia on this. So I'm crossing my fingers. I'd like a magic instant fix (Wouldn't we all?) but I know this is going to take a long while.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.