Beta Blockers vs. drugs like Xanax?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sunburnt22

sunburnt22

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:42 AM

I didn't even realize beta-blockers could be used for anxiety. Why do they not seem to be as popular as other types of anxiety drugs, like Xanax and Klonopin?

#2 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:18 AM

I have both Xanax and a beta blocker. The beta blocker is more subtle, not as strong. Happily it doesn't have any sedating effect, nor does it cloud my thinking. It just occurred to me to perhaps describe it as "a cup of coffee in reverse". heh.

It physically calms me. After I take it I tend to forget about it, then later realize that I'm physically relaxed, not so shaky from my lithium and focused outward rather than inward. My pdoc was really pushing me to take it on schedule every day for anxiety, though I did not do so very much out of concerns for exacerbating my asthma and allergies.

The beta blockers have a pretty low side effect problems, and they are short acting so if you do have problems they clear out fast. Its worth discussing with your pdoc.

a.m.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#3 Spuffy

Spuffy

No one I respect has never looked foolish.

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:18 AM

You may not believe this, but Xanax and Ativan induced panic attacks for me. My atypical reaction to these made my pdoc go for beta-blockers. They sometimes give propranolol to people with social anxiety or PTSD--keeps your heart from racing, inhibits epinephrine. My experience was positive, though I felt perhaps some fatigue. No carefree attitude (disinhibition) some report feeling from benzos. It had more of a subtle "safeguard" effect.

The long line of attempts:

aripiprazole alprazolam bupropion buspirone citalopram clomipramine clonazepam
cyproheptadine doxepin diazepam escitalopram fluoxetine fluvoxamine gabapentin
haloperidol hydroxyzine lamotrigine lorazepam methylphenidate modafinil mirtazapine
olanzapine paroxetine prochlorperazine propranolol quetiapine risperidone selegiline
sertraline trazodone venlafaxine ziprasidone zolpidem

#4 Spuffy

Spuffy

No one I respect has never looked foolish.

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:21 AM

The beta blocker is more subtle, not as strong. Happily it doesn't have any sedating effect, nor does it cloud my thinking. It just occurred to me to perhaps describe it as "a cup of coffee in reverse". heh.

It physically calms me.

Sorry to cross-post. I agree.

The long line of attempts:

aripiprazole alprazolam bupropion buspirone citalopram clomipramine clonazepam
cyproheptadine doxepin diazepam escitalopram fluoxetine fluvoxamine gabapentin
haloperidol hydroxyzine lamotrigine lorazepam methylphenidate modafinil mirtazapine
olanzapine paroxetine prochlorperazine propranolol quetiapine risperidone selegiline
sertraline trazodone venlafaxine ziprasidone zolpidem

#5 Progressive House

Progressive House

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 03:23 PM

I take beta-blockers and I have vast experience with benzo's. They are two completely different drugs. The beta-blocker will be there for you in a physical way (keep your heart rate and blood pressure down) when you get anxious and benzo's will be there in a mental way. Benzo's are a drug that you will actually feel a mind altering calming effect because they are hitting your GABA receptors in your brain. That's why they are a controlled substance and beta-blockers are not. You will not feel anything mind altering from a beta-blocker (atleast I don't!).
diagnosis:

OCD, GAD, PTSD, Depression, Substance abuse

Rx:

Cymbalta 120 mg/day, Wellbutrin 300 mg/day, Atenelol 100 mg/day, Neurontin 4000 mg/PRN for anxiety, Seroquel 100-200 mg/PRN for sleep, Multivitamin

#6 Mike G

Mike G

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:18 PM

Beta blockers are used, but have many side effects. SSRI's like lexapro and combination drugs like Effexor are become more and more poular for anxiety disorders due to low side effects. Beta blockers can cause constipation and sexual dysfunction like anorgasm or erectile dysfunction in men. Benzodiazapines should really only be used as needed in conjunction with a maintence drug like an SSRI, and in my own opinion :) psychotherapy. ;)

#7 Wooster

Wooster

"I need a drink and a peer group." -Ford Prefect

• Admin
  • 5978 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:33 PM

My personal experience with beta-blockers (clonidine/Catapres and propranolol/Inderol) is that they leave me feeling stoned... like as in "I just took a big bong rip and have become that stoned chick on the couch who will be there for the next six hours doing nothing except blinking and telling you how I can feel my hair grow and my teeth feel warm".

Not that I objected to the experience because I was MELLLLLOOOOOOWWWW for about the first time in six years. However, just not a functional drug for me. Constant cotton mouth, dry eyes, no driving heavy machinery, no operating dangerous hand tools, etc.

I currently take up to 4 mg of lorazepam a day. This is about mid range from where I've been (high of 7mg--holy CRAP! and a low of 1 mg as needed). I don't like taking this much, but I have to say it does help me with my physiological anxiety.

I also highly second the opinion that therapy... actually cognitive behavioral or even just straight up behavioral training is really useful (even though it feels completely innane... it's like dog training for humans).

Peace,
Wooster

PS--getting off caffeine and sugar have also been very helpful, as is regular exercise, in reducing my anxiety (30 minutes most days, whatever makes you sweat is a good guideline)

Boards I mod on: self harm, panic/anxiety, ptsd, ocd, dissociative, sleep, not otherwise specified, benzos, lifestyle alternatives, therapy, health care system

Current meds: 60# golden retriever service dog, (swellbutrin, light box, vitamin D for the impending lack of sunlight blahs)

*disclaimer--Nothing I write should be construed as professional advice or creating a therapeutic relationship.*

Hurray! I *finally* figured out how to correct my starting weight on MFP!
21850981.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.