• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kablume

Kablume

Pseudo princess

• Pip
  • 626 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:40 PM

Just starting Serzone and wonder if anyone has some good or bad stories with it. Thanks.
"Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops."
Cary Grant

RX:
Topamax 50 mg
Abilify 5 mg
Wellbutrin XL 450mg
Trazadone 300 mg.
Estrogen patch 0.1 mg
Metoprolol 25mg
Simvastatin 40mg

DX: Bipolar I

#2 Pillboxfox

Pillboxfox

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:27 PM

Yes, I was on Serzone for about a year a while ago, in 2002. Its kindov weak but it worked rather well on anxiety and depression and had few side effects. I find my Remeron to be more powerful and effective though. My doctor stopped the Serzone as it has been linked to liver failure in some patients. This med is not prescribed anymore in Canada. So I'm not sure Serzone is such a wise idea given the risk of liver problems.

PBF
Diagnosis: Bipolar II
Daily med combo: Lithium 600mg + Remeron 30mg + Zyprexa 5mg
PRN meds/add ons: Haldol 2 to 10mg
Emergency medication/hospital medication: Haldol 5/Ativan 2 short acting injection, Haldol 100 mg/ml long acting injection
Previously tried: Seroquel, Risperdal, Effexor, Trazodone, Serzone, Celexa, Depakote, Lamictal, Xanax, Ativan, Valium

#3 quiet storm

quiet storm

• Pip
  • 422 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:36 PM

I think it is the weakest of all AD's. But thats not necessarily a bad thing. The closest AD you could compare it to is trazodone. There is the liver issue for some folks. It tends to be more sedating and it doesnt have the sexual side effects of most SSRI's. Thats about all I can remember on it.

There's a shadow just behind me, Shrouding every step I take, Making every promise empty, Pointing every finger at me...

#4 Greenyflower

Greenyflower

WTF NOS

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:40 PM

Serzone was the only antidepressant that helped one women in my therapy group, and she had tried a lot of them. It didn't always work well, but it the debilitating depression under control.

IIRC, it was taken off the market in the U.S. due to some people developing very serious liver problems, so a liver panel every so often would be prudent.
[link=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/" target="_blank]Posted Image[/link]

#5 jillista

jillista

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:31 PM

I was also taken off of Serzone because of the issues with the liver, but nothing has happened (I was on it for two years or so, but it's been at least 5 years since I stopped). I remember it being effective, but it was at a time in my life where I didn't have too many issues going on in my life to cause problems. I do remember that I was at the very high end of the dosage spectrum, but I don't remember what that dosage was.

#6 Kablume

Kablume

Pseudo princess

• Pip
  • 626 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:18 AM

Thanks guys and gals!
Cary Grant

RX:
Topamax 50 mg
Abilify 5 mg
Wellbutrin XL 450mg
Trazadone 300 mg.
Estrogen patch 0.1 mg
Metoprolol 25mg
Simvastatin 40mg

#7 quiet storm

quiet storm

• Pip
  • 422 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:00 AM

Serzone was the only antidepressant that helped one women in my therapy group, and she had tried a lot of them. It didn't always work well, but it the debilitating depression under control.

IIRC, it was taken off the market in the U.S. due to some people developing very serious liver problems, so a liver panel every so often would be prudent.

I think it is still available in the U.S. , but only generically.

There's a shadow just behind me, Shrouding every step I take, Making every promise empty, Pointing every finger at me...

#8 Kablume

Kablume

Pseudo princess

• Pip
  • 626 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:52 AM

That is true, it is called nefazodone.
Cary Grant

RX:
Topamax 50 mg
Abilify 5 mg
Wellbutrin XL 450mg
Trazadone 300 mg.
Estrogen patch 0.1 mg
Metoprolol 25mg
Simvastatin 40mg

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.