• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mel1

mel1

mel1

• Pip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:39 AM

I have been taking a low dose of Seroquel for a few weeks after switching from ser. to abilify to ser. to abilify and back to seroquel. Stopped Abilify because it made my anxiety go through the roof. Well, then i got severely depressed and my pdoc told me to take more Seroquel for now. I am on 200 going up to 300, but since I increased the Seroquel, I have had Restless Leg Syndrom(RLS?),so bad it keeps me up for hrs. and drives me crazy. then the next day, i havent' been tired. Not depressed either. In fact, feeling kind of happy. I decreased my dose and the RLS went away. So far, the depression hasnt' come back but if it does, I will go back up on the Ser. And yes, I call pdoc, but i go to a county mental health place and i don't get callbacks for a while and it takes at least a month to get an appt. w/ pdoc.

My question is this: Is there anything you can do to make RLS go away?? If I start to feel my depression coming back , i want to increase the ser. again, but the rls is horrible. BTW, I was on 100 mg. twice a day. I started my increase to 100 at night and that is when the RLS started. When i took taht dose in the day , still had rls. Thank you for any responses.
"I cannot do everything, but I can do something."-Helen Keller
My ADHD mantra.

current dx: Bipolar 2, GAD s/ Panic Disorder, dysthymia, MDD, ADHD
current rx: seroqel- 100 mg-50 am and 50 at bedtime; Lamictal-100-am, 200-pm; Klonopin-.5-TID

#2 brenagirl

brenagirl

• Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:48 AM

This is going to sound absolutely insane. I take seroquel throughout the day, and I take 350 mg at night. And I noticed the same thing. So, when the pain begins I eat a banana. It started making me think it had more to do with a potassium deficiancy, but it is the exact same side effects of RLS. Maybe try that? I dunno, it usually works for me. Good luck....seroquel is so bittersweet.

Sebrina
My Issues: BPI w/ psychotic tendancies...Panic Disorder...Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder
My Cocktail: 1000mg Keppra -400mg Lamictal -300mg Seroquel -2mg kolonopin -15mg Remeron

~If we weren't all crazy--we'd all go insane~

#3 Rabbit37

Rabbit37

It's a fuckin' zoo around here

• Pip
  • 1388 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:37 AM

I have no advice, but can offer sympathy. I take 400-600 at night, and I have to go to bed with 20 minutes, or I get that symptom too. I take low doses during the day to keep me from being homicidal, and I have eye twitches sometimes. Yeah, bittersweet is right. but for me, it's more good than bad.
dx - BP, OCD and BPD, oh yeah, and some GAD as well
rx - lithium, risperidone, citalopram, vistaril and vitamins

#4 IHeartAAPs

IHeartAAPs

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:42 PM

I guess I'm lucky in that Seroquel hasn't caused any RLS problems for me. I take 100mg in the AM and 200mg in the PM. Occasionally I'll toss in 25mg or 50mg during the day as needed.

The only thing I can think of is adding Cogentin to the mix or a med that specifically addresses RLS symptoms. I know they suck as I had them on other AAPs.

Not much help but commiserating nonetheless.
Dx: BP1 with psychotic features
Rx: Seroquel 400mg, haloperidol 5mg prn and clonazepam 2mg. Non MI meds: Lipitor 20mg.

#5 quiet storm

quiet storm

• Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:26 PM

Makes sense since seroquel antagonizes dopamine receptors and rls drugs like mirapex and requip are dopamine receptor agonists. Maybe see about getting on one of those to counteract the rls from the seroquel? But maybe that would negate the seroquel period?

Edited by quiet storm, 23 December 2007 - 09:27 PM.

There's a shadow just behind me, Shrouding every step I take, Making every promise empty, Pointing every finger at me...

#6 Stars

Stars

I wake up in the morning at 11:47 and I can't believe I have to face the horror of another fuc*ing day

• Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:05 PM

I was doing a search on Mirapex and found this thread. I have a similar situation. I had been on stealzine for 15 years, 1mg. not a large dose but stelazine is very potent. so in 03 i began having symptoms of facial tremor and mouth blowing. MRI to rule out facial tumor and told to stop the stelazine. I was eventually started on Seroquel 25 mg. I then developed what we thought was restless leg syndrome. I have been taking requip and zanaflex with success except about a year ago i developed some odd things. I continued to have the TD mouth blowing again at night, I began having involuntary abdominal movements. They are like contractions, not painful but they feel weird an wake e me up. I also noted I would awake with my arms or legs in odd position's, positions that hurt but I was unaware of until they caused pain.
Today i talked with pdoc and we think that in addition to RLS i probably just have Akathasia, you now the restlessness and agitation that goes with the psych drugs. pdoc also said that the requip may be "activating " the TD.so we are tying Mirapex instead. It may not work and I may have to stop the seroquel.I am afraid b/c i really need the seroquel. I can't even take my zyprea anymore b/c instead of calming me - it agitates me.

any suggestions are welcome.

#7 netsavy006

netsavy006

I'm Andy

• Pip
  • 2147 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:30 PM

The only medications that I know are helpful in EPS symptoms (like akathesia) are anti-cholenergics such as Cogentin and Artane. I have taken Artane. It works for the restlessness but made me itchy. Cogentin is what I take now for the restlessness and it works moderately well. I notice less akathesia on Cogentin.

Good Luck...

- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg QID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Propranolol 10mg BID + Centrum + Fish Oil

#8 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 12503 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:05 PM

Did you try benadryl? I got RLS-like Akathasia from Haldol and it helped since it was really only a problem while I was trying to sleep anyway. The Akathasia eventually progressed to include really bad anxiety so I dropped it.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#9 MaryPoppins

MaryPoppins

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:56 PM

Did you try benadryl? I got RLS-like Akathasia from Haldol and it helped since it was really only a problem while I was trying to sleep anyway. The Akathasia eventually progressed to include really bad anxiety so I dropped it.

I take 50 mg of Benadryl every night to stop any akathasia with my meds which included at one time Seroquel. Good luck!

#10 liveoak

liveoak

Bite me.

• Pip
  • 908 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:07 PM

On lower doses of Seroquel, I had RLS really badly, but now on 600 mg at bedtime, I don't have RLS any more.
Dx: Severe Major Depressive Disorder, Refractory with Psychotic Features.. Generalized Anxiety Disorder. PTSD.

Wellbutrin SR,
added in hospital 5/11--1 tab per day..// 9/2/11 increased to 2 tabs per day for depression and energy
09/2/09.Start Lamictal
5/29/10 300mg Lamictal
Seroquel 150, 300mg
Cymbalta 90mg, 60mg, 120mg
Klonopin .5mg 3x per day per hospital psychiatrist
Clonidine .1 mg .2mg .3mg at bedtime for nightmares, hot flashes, anxiety, blood pressure.
Metformin 1000 mg 2x per day
synthroid .175

#11 OreoKitty

OreoKitty

The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground

• Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:15 AM

I'm taking Cogentin for the restless leg symptoms from the Seroquel. It works okay. I still get mild symptoms at times. It also makes my mouth super dry which is a pain in the ass.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

DX: Bipolar I, hypothyroidism, PCOS, and food & various other issues and behaviors that fit into many forums
RX: Lithium 1200mg, Effexor 75mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Latuda 80mg, Nuvigil 75mg, Valium PRN, Relpax, Synthroid 200mcg, Vitamins & Minerals
Past RX: ablilify, geodon, risperdal, neurontin, celexa, prozac, topomax, lamictal, seroquel, pristiq, valproic acid, tegretol, saphris, and others I cannot remember
Sober since 1992

Posted Image
...SPIRITUAL MUTT...

#12 I'm Melting

I'm Melting

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:41 AM

since I increased the Seroquel, I have had Restless Leg Syndrom(RLS?),so bad it keeps me up for hrs. and drives me crazy

i got the same when i started seroquel. HORRIDLY painful, made me so angry and frustrated i would just walk and walk and have to do all sorts of weird movements to try and counter the feeling. nothing worked. ive had rls all my life (on & off) but yeah was sooooooo much worse on seroquel.
Previously (happy-snappy-rage-cry)

Dx:
I'm me, I'm kinda messed up sometimes, really messed up others ... I'm still me
Past Rx: Cant remember them all.
Now: WB 300mg, Clonazepam 1mg, Clomipramine 130mg, Temazepam 60mg

Pdoc? Debating starting lithium Me? Scared shitless to Bf? Tired of me being so sick
Kids? God love'em Family? 18yrs of "you'd be fine if you'd ...""maybe its just...""Quit being so ..."
Friends? Not many right now. Chased'em away with my emotional roller coaster
... it went off the track in Jan and hasnt got back on yet .......

#13 Spanophile

Spanophile

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:22 PM

I take 300mgs of Seroquel at night and if I don't go to sleep within an hour of taking I get RLS. It's not fun! I'm going to try taking Benadryl to see if that helps.
Dx: Bipolar II with rapid cycling and mixed states
Current Meds: Seroquel 300mgs, Abilify 5mgs, Zonegran 200mgs, Lamictal 200mgs, Ativan .5mgs PRN
Previous Meds: Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Zyprexa, Pamelor, Topamax, Lithium, Geodon, Trileptal, Paxil, Prozac, Metadate

"You can always trust the information given to you by people who are crazy; they have an access to truth not available through regular channels"
Sheila Ballantyne

"Some people never go crazy. What horrible lives they must lead."
Charles Bukowski

CYMBALTA AND PAXIL ARE THE DEVIL!

#14 celestia

celestia

• Pip
  • 3855 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:59 PM

I had RLS for YEARS...that is often when I would show up in the chatroom. ;) Not funny though, after awhile...anyway, this trip to the nuthouse the pdoc put me on Requip, .5 at 6:00 p.m., and my RLS stopped like *that*. I do have a bunch of symptoms that are random and sometimes worriesome depending on my anxiety level. My whole drug regime was changed up in May so who knows what is doing what (and to whom...)
diagnoses: MDD/ADD/PTSD
Current meds: Wellbutrin 450/Lexapro 30

#15 Guest_elysiumlover_*

Guest_elysiumlover_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:23 PM

I take 300mgs of Seroquel at night and if I don't go to sleep within an hour of taking I get RLS. It's not fun! I'm going to try taking Benadryl to see if that helps.

#16 Guest_elysiumlover_*

Guest_elysiumlover_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:25 PM

I can relate. I just increased my Seroquel dose from 200mg @ night to 300mg. I had experienced RLS while on the 200mg and had treated it somewhat effectively with Benadryl 50mg @ night. Over the last week, I have spent over half of those nights sleeping on the couch d/t RLS. I think I am going to give Requip a try to see if it may work. I hope Benadryl works for you!

#17 ehygon

ehygon

• Pip
  • 440 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:25 PM

I second the reply about eating a banana. My best friend had a similar problem (not specifically seroquel) and her doctor told her to eat a banana, and it helped. Honestly, unless you're allergic to bananas, you stand to lose about 69 cents and a few minutes of your time. While it may be necessary in the end to add another medication, I'd give bananas a shot.

#18 Ausgirl

Ausgirl

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:33 AM

For Restless legs using seroquel I take magnesium tablets. Works a treat

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.