Photo

Do the voices come from outside or inside the head?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 YorkshireRose

YorkshireRose

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:57 AM

Ive sat and pondered about this,my doctor asked me yesterday did I hear voices telling me things?
I have a voice inside my head that goes on and on about just how crap and rubbish I am like all day!!!
The best way I can describe it is, in the film lord of the rings gollum and smeagle have this conversation with each other,gollum saying bad stuff and poor smeagle sat with his hands on his ears saying "Im not listening!!"
Now theyre kinda the same person,I totally do that have like the evil me telling me really nasty stuff about myself,then theres 'me' TELLING IT TO SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!
So my question is do I hear voices or do I hear myself?
Did the doctor mean as in if he'd have spoken to me an external voice????
I dont actually look like gollum by the way all though personally I think hes rather cute!!!

#2 withing

withing

tired of being tired...

• Pip
  • 3018 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:01 PM

Don't quote me on this, but I'm thinking your doc is asking if you hear voices from the outside. At least, when I start hearing outside voices, that's when I start to worry. But that only happens when I'm *very* manic.

That nagging, inner voice is my self-doubt and I do my best to ignore it. I use the good angel/bad angel analogy to describe it... you know, one on each shoulder. I think that's common to a lot of folks, but people with MI have it a little stronger than others.

`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~
The Past is the textbook of tyrants; the Future the Bible of the Free. Those who are solely governed by the Past stand like Lot's wife, crystallized in the act of looking backward, and forever incapable of looking before. ~Herman Melville, White Jacket
DX: Bipolar (flavor undecided) & various physical stuff
RX: Topamax: 100mg, Seroquel: 200mg, Welbutrin XL: 300

...and then,
Buffy staked Edward.

~~The End~~

#3 dangergirl

dangergirl

you don't know what you don't know

• Pip
  • 668 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:14 PM

Good question...since I hear both, I don't have an answer for you....next time you go in, you may want to ask for clarification...is your little evil demon voice just one of self esteem or is it something else? Do you hear it as a "different" sounding voice than your own - for example - does it sound different than the voice that says, "oh yeah, I gotta remember to buy turnips"? You know - the turnip voice sounds like you do and the evil voice sounds like John Travolta from Saturday Night Fever??? I think that could be another way to look at it too, but I really don't know.

dx: BP2, ADHD, OCD, dermatillomania
Rx: 200mg of Wellbutrin XL (generic), 100mg of Lamictal (generic) and I take Ritalin when I feel like it, which is hardly ever (ok, so maybe I forget to take it)...and sometimes 2mg of Lunesta for sleep.

"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and gosh darn it people like me!" ~ Stuart Smalley

#4 borzage

borzage

• Pip
  • 511 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:27 PM

I think the key word is "hear". Most people don't actually hear their own thoughts. Imagining your thoughts in a spoken voice is different from a sensation that appears as though it's coming through your ears.

What you are describing sounds like intrusive/obtrusive thoughts, not voices. That's my guess.

#5 YorkshireRose

YorkshireRose

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 05:07 AM

Thanks for the reply guys,
Im kinda going along the same line as you thinking its just probebly me driving myself just that little bit more crazy!!!(LIKE I NEED IT!!)
The thing is though in my minds eye I see what talks to me and its not pretty,all teeth,drool and snarls,yet it has my voice I think!,Maybe thats my imagination?
Damn me for beginning to train myself into using my mindseye!!!
I could scream because people dont take whats going on in my head seriously, those around me I mean,I wish they could just climb inside for a minute and feel as I do,maybe then Id get some help

#6 lysergia

lysergia

ripping off the bootstraps

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3213 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:34 AM

as someone who hears voices inside my head (being multiple), and sometimes voices outside my head (psychosis or anxiety), i think i've spent quite a bit of time trying to figure this one out heh ;)

i think what others have said about intrusive thoughts (really loud ones!) rings a bell.

when i'm really depressed, i can "hear" the depression talking to me, beating me down constantly... it kinda sounds like me, but i'm not really controlling it either (that's what the meds are for!).

when i'm actively anorexic, i can "hear" that, too. it's like some woman who constantly tells me how gross i am and why i can't eat and yadda yadda. but i know that's also intrusive thoughts, not really a full hallucination or a member of my multiple system.

i hope you can straighten it out, because every kinda "voice" has a different "treatment" per se. it sounds like you're on the right track exploring it here!

-lysergia

current dx:

BPI/II (depending on whom you ask), DDNOS, ED issues (recovered anorexic), major anxiety issues, PTSD issues (now subclinical), hallucinations NOS.
current rx:

wellbutrin 300 mg, clonazepam 1.5 mg, seroquel 50 mg, synthroid 0.1625 mg, vitamins D3, B12, omega3.  PRNs - seroquel, ibuprofen, tylenol, nicotine, caffeine, chocolate
past rx:

lithium, lamotrigine, prozac, paxil, zoloft, effexor, citalopram, latuda, lyrica, imipramine, nortyrptaline, lorazepam, buspar, mirtazipine, risperdal, remeron, abilify, parnate, zyprexa, zopicolone, l-tryptophan, trazadone, melatonin, ECT, more stuff i can't remember

kittybuttxa3.jpg

#7 YorkshireRose

YorkshireRose

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:14 AM

Lysergia
Thankyou so much you really said something that helped me then, that being that the meds should be helping those inner voices,the depression so to speak from saying all the stuff it does to me,yet obviously I must be on the wrong meds because I hear them loud and clear!!!
Problem is how do I get my GP to perscribe the right AD I know I'll be such much better if I dont have this constant inner battle!
Are intrusive thoughts normal?
Do I just have to live with this?

#8 lysergia

lysergia

ripping off the bootstraps

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3213 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:40 AM

Lysergia
Thankyou so much you really said something that helped me then, that being that the meds should be helping those inner voices,the depression so to speak from saying all the stuff it does to me,yet obviously I must be on the wrong meds because I hear them loud and clear!!!
Problem is how do I get my GP to perscribe the right AD I know I'll be such much better if I dont have this constant inner battle!
Are intrusive thoughts normal?
Do I just have to live with this?

i don't think intrusive thoughts like these are normal, and i don't think you should have to live with them, either.

i can TELL when i'm really depressed and when i'm not simply because i can hear that "depression monster" (that's what i call it). when i'm not depressed, i don't think/hear any of those horrible things about myself (i have self-esteem issues like everyone, but they don't talk to me or rule me). that's when i know the meds ARE working (like right now, knock on wood... it's my first time trying lamotrigine).

if i hear that monster - i make an appointment to get the meds changed. i've done it a LOT for the last ten years, because i've never got it quite right yet. but i do have faith we'll get it right yet.

point being, the monster just gets louder and more irrational until the right meds kick in - and if this is true for you, you might have to be aggressive about better meds. i know i've had to be a royal pain in the ass... but it's worth it.

-lysergia

current dx:

BPI/II (depending on whom you ask), DDNOS, ED issues (recovered anorexic), major anxiety issues, PTSD issues (now subclinical), hallucinations NOS.
current rx:

wellbutrin 300 mg, clonazepam 1.5 mg, seroquel 50 mg, synthroid 0.1625 mg, vitamins D3, B12, omega3.  PRNs - seroquel, ibuprofen, tylenol, nicotine, caffeine, chocolate
past rx:

lithium, lamotrigine, prozac, paxil, zoloft, effexor, citalopram, latuda, lyrica, imipramine, nortyrptaline, lorazepam, buspar, mirtazipine, risperdal, remeron, abilify, parnate, zyprexa, zopicolone, l-tryptophan, trazadone, melatonin, ECT, more stuff i can't remember

kittybuttxa3.jpg

#9 liveoak

liveoak

Bite me.

• Pip
  • 908 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:14 AM

Adding an AAP like Seroquel really helped me with this. I had thought it was normal to hear "i need to kill myself" all day long in my head. Turns out, it's not.
Dx: Severe Major Depressive Disorder, Refractory with Psychotic Features.. Generalized Anxiety Disorder. PTSD.

Wellbutrin SR,
added in hospital 5/11--1 tab per day..// 9/2/11 increased to 2 tabs per day for depression and energy
09/2/09.Start Lamictal
5/29/10 300mg Lamictal
Seroquel 150, 300mg
Cymbalta 90mg, 60mg, 120mg
Klonopin .5mg 3x per day per hospital psychiatrist
Clonidine .1 mg .2mg .3mg at bedtime for nightmares, hot flashes, anxiety, blood pressure.
Metformin 1000 mg 2x per day
synthroid .175

#10 karuna

karuna

Lady Fanackerpan

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3785 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:49 PM

I hear voices.

Some are external, some are in my head. All are not my thoughts, because I cannot switch them off, they go on and start whenever they like. I recognized in therapy that they echoed my own thoughts about myself. But I can tell a difference between my thoughts, and the voices.
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to ones courage : Anais Nin

'The attainment of wholeness requires one to stake one's whole being. Nothing less will do; there can be no easier conditions, no substitutes, no compromises': Jung

DX: borderline personality disorder/bipolar/psychosis/trauma history
RX: Lithium and Seroquel

I have a blog at:

http://dedicationtor....wordpress.com/

Feel free to come leave input, read and heckle!

#11 withing

withing

tired of being tired...

• Pip
  • 3018 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:53 PM

And then there are what I call my "half asleep voices". These are the ones I hear just before I go to sleep and just as I'm waking up. Usually they're calling my name, or it's an indistinctive shout, but no one else hears it, so must be me. Heard 'em this morning, calling my name, woke me up completely. Could be because I only got a couple of hours sleep last night. But who knows? I think those would be "external" voices since I clearly heard someone calling my name.
The Past is the textbook of tyrants; the Future the Bible of the Free. Those who are solely governed by the Past stand like Lot's wife, crystallized in the act of looking backward, and forever incapable of looking before. ~Herman Melville, White Jacket
DX: Bipolar (flavor undecided) & various physical stuff
RX: Topamax: 100mg, Seroquel: 200mg, Welbutrin XL: 300

...and then,
Buffy staked Edward.

~~The End~~

#12 ChemistryExperiment

ChemistryExperiment

Carbon Based Chemical

• Pip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:25 PM

as someone who hears voices inside my head (being multiple), and sometimes voices outside my head (psychosis or anxiety), i think i've spent quite a bit of time trying to figure this one out heh ;)

when i'm really depressed, i can "hear" the depression talking to me, beating me down constantly... it kinda sounds like me, but i'm not really controlling it either (that's what the meds are for!).

when i'm actively anorexic, i can "hear" that, too. it's like some woman who constantly tells me how gross i am and why i can't eat and yadda yadda.

I hear those three too. We're voices twins. except i'm not multiple. at least not that I know of.

Life isn't about finding yourself

its about CREATING yourself

----------------------------------------------------------

if you're crazy and you know it clap your hands!

*clap*

*clap*

#13 Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish

Camouflage is Convenient

• Pip
  • 432 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:55 AM

And then there are what I call my "half asleep voices". These are the ones I hear just before I go to sleep and just as I'm waking up. Usually they're calling my name, or it's an indistinctive shout, but no one else hears it, so must be me. Heard 'em this morning, calling my name, woke me up completely. Could be because I only got a couple of hours sleep last night. But who knows? I think those would be "external" voices since I clearly heard someone calling my name.

I'm starting to get these too. I've woken up to my name being said, and even a conversation once recently ;) . From reading around, the kind of inner-dialogue I've had for awhile is from inside my own "normal" thoughts (though those voices almost seem to have a mind of their own sometimes). Hearing one's name being called, like these half-asleep voices, seem to be from outside one's "normal" thoughts.

Just my 2c.

Edited by NeedsALife, 14 January 2008 - 02:57 AM.

#14 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:31 AM

I'm starting to get these too. I've woken up to my name being said, and even a conversation once recently ;) . From reading around, the kind of inner-dialogue I've had for awhile is from inside my own "normal" thoughts (though those voices almost seem to have a mind of their own sometimes). Hearing one's name being called, like these half-asleep voices, seem to be from outside one's "normal" thoughts.

Just my 2c.

Sounds, voices, images while falling asleep are called Hypnogogic hallucinations, while awakening Hypnopompic. They are an artifact of the brain switching from sleep to wakefulness mode. Psychiatrists do not give them any weight in considering psychiatric diagnosis or condition. They are extremely common even among the normal population. Do not let them concern you. They are just a part of dreaming.

a.m.

Edited by AirMarshall, 14 January 2008 - 11:32 AM.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#15 lachesis

lachesis

• Pip
  • 827 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:28 PM

Voices from the outside- the walls are talking to me OR I hear in the distance my name being called OR there is a radio in the other room playing music, radio personality speaking to me with cryptic messages "you be the judge and the jury"

Voices from inside the head - another person's voice talking to me OR a voice inside saying you suck, get lost, or die which should not be an every day sort of thing and are not usual thoughts

Internal thoughts - will somone notice that I did not wash my hair today, I wonder what home work I'll half to do tonight, can person a meet me at....

Intrusive thoughts - did I.....check....what if.....so-in-so thinks....he/she thinks I... how do I....what if......ahhhhhhh

#16 pulver

pulver

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:54 AM

I don't hear voices outside my head. Those internal thoughts, I believe as others have said here, are normal. Incidentally there are people who hear voices and do not have the disorganized mind that goes with mental illness. They do not consider themselves mentally ill. I understand in the UK there is a support group called "hearing vocies". These are not psychotics. They've learned to live with it. Let me give you a cautionary warning. My son is schizoeffective. He reached a point when he was in his recovery stage where he did not hear voices. He was taking 60mg of ziprasidone. Then he started hearing one voice that only came when he was in his apartment and that prevented him from sleeping. He started drinking alcohol until he was senseless. This helped with the voices but he stopped keeping his dr appointments and stopped his meds. He went way down and now spends his time in jail for various charges having to do with intoxication or in the homeless shelter. Please, don't go that route.

Pulver

quote name='lachesis' date='Jan 14 2008, 11:28 AM' post='272827']
Voices from the outside- the walls are talking to me OR I hear in the distance my name being called OR there is a radio in the other room playing music, radio personality speaking to me with cryptic messages "you be the judge and the jury"

Voices from inside the head - another person's voice talking to me OR a voice inside saying you suck, get lost, or die which should not be an every day sort of thing and are not usual thoughts

Internal thoughts - will somone notice that I did not wash my hair today, I wonder what home work I'll half to do tonight, can person a meet me at....

Intrusive thoughts - did I.....check....what if.....so-in-so thinks....he/she thinks I... how do I....what if......ahhhhhhh

[/quote]

#17 blackbird

blackbird

For all that I found there...

• Pip
  • 1198 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:30 PM

I pick up other people's voices and thoughts and hear them internally in my mind. Also when people are talking and I can't hear them properly, my mind interjects sinister meaning upon the words and I hear the voices as threats or insults or general commentary on my thoughts. I have a number of internal voices - commanding voices "You must do such and such a thing or else we will kill your dog", voices that insult me and people I am with and try to leak from my brain into the other person's mind. But then I am convinced I am a powerful telepath and psychic communicator.
I STAND ALONE

DX: Schizoaffective (bipolar type - ultra rapid cycling with major paranoid refractory psychosis), Borderline Personality Disorder, OCD, Anorexia Nervosa, Alcohol Dependence (in recovery 26/12/09)

RX: 50mg Risperdal Consta Injection x once per fortnight (equivalent to 6mg a day), 600mg Lithium, 60mgs Prozac, 5mgs Diazepam x 3 a day, 7.5mg Zopiclone

"For years one has to put up with the feeling that people do not care, really care, about one; then one day with growing alarm, one realises that it is God who does not care: and merely that he does not care, he does not care one way or the other"

Lawrence Durrell, "The Alexandria Quartet"

Driven to distraction by the utter lack of tenderness in this world

#18 YorkshireRose

YorkshireRose

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:38 PM

I never realised just how many different kinds of voices there can be!!!!
Thankyou everyone for explaining your own personnal experiances,I wonder what it is in the brain that triggers such voices?
Are we just supposed to ignore them?can they ever be healthy? I dont mean your conscience talking thats kinda different I think.
Whats the difference between OCD intrusive voices and schizophrenia voices?
The brain sure can be one screwed up organ!!!!

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.