Photo
- - - - -

How long does Xanax stay in your system?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mamayaya

mamayaya

done with rude people here

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:26 AM

I am taking 0.5-1 mg of Xanax at night occasionally to calm me so I can sleep and I am groggy for the entire next day. Is that normal?
STATUS: NO LONGER POSTING. THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE HELPED ME HERE.

Current dx:
Bipolar II, mixed state, exacerbated by postpartum depression, borderline personality disorder, GAD w/panic, avoidant personality disorder, hypothyroidism, IBS.

Current Rx: Paxil 20 mg, Zyprexa 2.5 mg p.r.n, Synthroid 50 mcg, Xanax 1 mg p.r.n., and visits to a pdoc who takes no time with me and gets her jollys out of degrading me.

Ex-Rx's: Seroquel (made me sleepy, dopey, grumpy), Risperdal (made me see stars), Abilify (too activating), Klonopin (nada), Ativan (nada), Paxil (gained 100 lbs), Prozac (nada), Celexa (nada), Zoloft (pooped out), Elavil (too sleepy), Ambien (nada... how do people get hooked on that crap?), Rozerem (ok sometimes), Lexapro (activating), BuSpar (nada), Cymbalta (the devil's drug... should be illegal!)

#2 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:30 AM

Half life is 12 - 15 hours. There is a post pinned at the top of the benzo forum that has speed of action, and half lifes and another with benzo equivalent dosages.

Yes, it is not unusual to be groggy the next day. Take the smallest dose that works adequately for you. You might try using a pill splitter (as long as you aren't using the extended release form). Also try taking earlier in the evening if it is safe and doesn't interfere with your functioning.

a.m.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.