Seroquel - how long does it take to work? Suffering.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Lynette_*

Guest_Lynette_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:28 PM

Hi

In January I was slowly changed over to Seroquel from Sulpiride, an AP which gave me hyperprolactinemia, hence no periods and thinning bones. To start with I was ok, but when I completely finished the Sulpiride (I was originally at 800mg and titrated down to 200mg whilst increasing the Seroquel) I started feeling high anxiety at times and visual disturbances, some of which show slight paranoia. It is almost like a bad acid trip, although not as involving. I see trails and halos around people, I get double vision in the sunlight, I only feel safe in the gym and at home and crowds in city centres freak me out as everyone looks either evil, like an alien or on the verge of death. It is so horrible. My doc gave me some Ativan to use and I have had 1mg of this for most days in the past month. I have increased from 300mg Seroquel in mid-January to 550mg in the past 2 days, 50 mg of which is split during the day. I am not sure if the anxiety is coming from my illness bleeding through or the effects of increasing the Seroquel. How long would it take to work? I am so depressed as it is a nightmare to leave the house, everything looks so 2-D and I feel so dissociated, as if only a third of my personality is present rather than all of it. However, I sleep like a baby on Seroquel - at last!

I am also worried about taking Lorazepam as I know it is addictive. I have taken it most days from the 18th Jan 2008. Would that make me addicted to it?

Does anyone know how long it can take for Seroquel to get rid of anxiety and visual disturbances? I am not deluded, it is mostly visual and I don't believe any of it is real, unlike previous spells of psychosis. The only slight effect from paranoia is that people's movements in the street can appear to be directed at me,, i.e. some one rubbing their nose and seeming to be smirking knowingly at me. However, I know this is not real, it's just scary as i think it might escalate to the point where i am delusional. It seems to be lessening but things still look horribly unreal, with trails and halos around them. Although I get 6months paid sick leave at work, I am worried about how long it'll take me to get better enough to go back to a stressful job. I was so well on Sulpiride, no psychosis for years and the intermittent depression I suffered on it was treated amazingly by 400mg Lamictal, which now seems to have pooped out ;)

Any advice or answers to my above questions would be greatly appreciated!

My diagnosis was BP1 with psychotic features but since I was only manic once for a short time, they are thinking of diagnosing me as schizo-affective.

Sorry about the epic post too...just have a lot to say.

Thanks!

Lyn

400mg Lamictal in the am
500mg Seroquel in pm
25mg Seroquel in am
25mg Seroquel mid pm.

#2 DMF

DMF

• Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:52 PM

Lynette,

I'm really not sure about all the vision problems you are having as to whether or not they are hallucinatory in nature or another form of visual disturbance. In so far as everyone looks either evil, like an alien, or on the verge of death - my dd has had some like these and her PDoc said that is hallucinatory in nature. Regardless, for dd, Seroquel really was the only AAP that has worked as well as it has. I will tell you, as you likely know, that the appropriate dosage varies from person to person. I think there are people on this Board who are asymptomatic with less Seroquel than you are taking while my dd needed 800 mg. to really get any significant relief and then still experienced periods of hallucinations and periods with no hallucinations. Her dose was recently raised to 1000 mg. because of increased hallucinations and the occurance of delusions (which she hasn't really ever had a serious problem with) that could have been due to medicine she was given to treat another medical condition and/or stress and anxiety she may be having due to impending surgery. Regardless, the 1000 did the trick and she has literally been hallucination/delusion free for several weeks. I only share this because you may need to consider an increase in your dosage until you find the right combination and what works for one may not work for another.

Again, I think everyone is different, by dd typically has two weeks of hell with any change in medication (including titration). It just seems like her brain reacts to any change and it takes the two weeks for the brain to settle down. As a result, we usually stick it out the two weeks, barring something really horrendous and dangerous occuring, to see.

My dd is also diagnosed as BP but her psychosis doesn't seem related to mania every time....Seroquel is being used as a mood stabilizer and she was able to reduce her AD almost to nothing because of the postiive effects of Seroquel. It is supposed to help with anxiety but she is taking 1.5 of Klonopin right now (again, it may be related to her other problems and maybe not).

I honestly don't think your PDoc will resist raising your dosage if you are continuing to have problems. But give yourself more than a couple of days to see how well it works, o.k.?

I really wish you the best of luck on Seroquel....I know that the "dead looking people" really upset my daughter a lot and I hate to hear of anyone else going through the same thing.

Take care~

Hi

In January I was slowly changed over to Seroquel from Sulpiride, an AP which gave me hyperprolactinemia, hence no periods and thinning bones. To start with I was ok, but when I completely finished the Sulpiride (I was originally at 800mg and titrated down to 200mg whilst increasing the Seroquel) I started feeling high anxiety at times and visual disturbances, some of which show slight paranoia. It is almost like a bad acid trip, although not as involving. I see trails and halos around people, I get double vision in the sunlight, I only feel safe in the gym and at home and crowds in city centres freak me out as everyone looks either evil, like an alien or on the verge of death. It is so horrible. My doc gave me some Ativan to use and I have had 1mg of this for most days in the past month. I have increased from 300mg Seroquel in mid-January to 550mg in the past 2 days, 50 mg of which is split during the day. I am not sure if the anxiety is coming from my illness bleeding through or the effects of increasing the Seroquel. How long would it take to work? I am so depressed as it is a nightmare to leave the house, everything looks so 2-D and I feel so dissociated, as if only a third of my personality is present rather than all of it. However, I sleep like a baby on Seroquel - at last!

I am also worried about taking Lorazepam as I know it is addictive. I have taken it most days from the 18th Jan 2008. Would that make me addicted to it?

Does anyone know how long it can take for Seroquel to get rid of anxiety and visual disturbances? I am not deluded, it is mostly visual and I don't believe any of it is real, unlike previous spells of psychosis. The only slight effect from paranoia is that people's movements in the street can appear to be directed at me,, i.e. some one rubbing their nose and seeming to be smirking knowingly at me. However, I know this is not real, it's just scary as i think it might escalate to the point where i am delusional. It seems to be lessening but things still look horribly unreal, with trails and halos around them. Although I get 6months paid sick leave at work, I am worried about how long it'll take me to get better enough to go back to a stressful job. I was so well on Sulpiride, no psychosis for years and the intermittent depression I suffered on it was treated amazingly by 400mg Lamictal, which now seems to have pooped out ;)

Any advice or answers to my above questions would be greatly appreciated!

My diagnosis was BP1 with psychotic features but since I was only manic once for a short time, they are thinking of diagnosing me as schizo-affective.

Sorry about the epic post too...just have a lot to say.

Thanks!

Lyn

400mg Lamictal in the am
500mg Seroquel in pm
25mg Seroquel in am
25mg Seroquel mid pm.

#3 borzage

borzage

• Pip
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:11 PM

Hi Lyn,

I wonder if your symptoms are caused by withdrawal from the other med you were on, since your symptoms came on as you titrated off of it. You might want to research withdrawal symptoms from that drug, and find out how long they typically last.

Seroquel works pretty quick, at least it does for me. I can tell a difference within 3-4 hours. I take it for obsessive thoughts.

Lorazepam can be addicting. It's best not used over a long term. You will know if you're addicted if you have major anxiety when you don't take it, or if you need to take it just to feel "normal". Since you're having so much anxiety anyway, it's probably hard to tell. How much do you take in a day?

MG

Edited by mad_genius, 19 February 2008 - 10:14 PM.

#4 Lynette

Lynette

Amy10

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:54 AM

Hi

Thanks so much for replying.

I have halved my Lorazepam intake to 0.5 mg and will slowly come off it.

My psych has told me to add a tiny amount of Sulpiride to see if that calms down symptoms. I am going to also up the Seroquel.

I have been feeling really depressed about things, but have bought a light box - not sure when it'll start working! It's only been 2 days.
I can't take anti-depressants as the side effects are too much.

Does anyone know the effects of alcohol and cigarettes on APs? I have been smoking a lot and often have a couple of glasses of wine in the evening to take the edge of anxiety and darkness. I know alcohol increases the sedative properties of these meds but wondered if it makes the APs less effective? Would this also be the case with cigs?

Cheers!

Lynette
Meds : 200mg Lithium, 350mg Lamictal, Risperidone prn, L-Tryptophan 4mg.

You’re going to die soon enough anyway; even if it’s a hundred years from now, that’s still the blink of a cosmic eye. In the meantime, live like a scientist—even a controversial one with only an ally or two in all the world—and treat life as a grand experiment, blood, sweat, tears and all. Bear in mind that there's no such thing as a failed experiment—only data. - Jesse Bering

Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle (Plato)

"

#5 carolyn123

carolyn123

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:32 PM

hey, i think you might be taking too much lamictal...i was taking 400mg, at night. i started taking it during the day, and thats when i realized it gave me double vision...it was really bad, i couldnt drive and i couldnt even stand up straight. if i tried to focus my eyes on someone, they would roll into the back on my head! it was horrible! it was kind of wierd too...if i covered one eye with my hand, i could see fine. but if i had both uncovered, i was totally incapable of doing anything. i kept taking it (switched back to nighttime) but did a little research...apparently when you overdose on lamictal one of the side effects is double vision. so, pretty sure i was just taking too much. So then i just quit taking it all together (bad idea duh!)...but i'm back on it at a lower dose, 200mg. so...i would defintely let your doc know about the visual disturbances, if this sounds at all familiar ;)

#6 Generica

Generica

The generic one

• Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:25 AM

The right dose of Seroquel could take as little as a couple of days to kick in. So hopefully with upping the dose as your doctor advised you may feel some affects soon. Otherwise, keep seeking his guidance as to whether you need to add more. You are by no means near the maximum dose so there's more room to move. I really hope you get all this under control soon, it sure doesn't sound like fun.
DX: BP I - mixed. Psychotic depressive episodes, panic disorder, anxiety, PTSD. Insomnia is back & sending me more crazy.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.