Photo
- - - - -

How long will a single dose Valium last?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lars

Lars

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:02 AM

So yeah how many hours do Valium work?
Wiki quote:

Diazepam has a half-life (t1/2α) of 2050 hours, and desmethyldiazepam has a half-life of 30200 hours and is considered to be a long acting benzodiazepine.

So can I get away with one dose a day?
Dx's:
Borderline personality disorder, GAD, SAD, Major depressive disorder and social phobia.

Rx's:
Effexor XR 450MG morning, Lyrica 300MG morning and night, Abilify 10MG morning,Remeron 45MG at night, Up to 150MG Vistril/Atarax PRN, Valium 10MG PRN and Zyprexa in case of emergencies.

#2 raining

raining

yes it is.

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:18 AM

Depends. Most common figures I have seen say it has between 50 to 100hr halflife. Some metabolites (eg nordazepam) last longer, and some medications slows down elimination, giving it a 200hr half-life. But yes, Valium is a long-acting benzo by any measure.

Lots of people take it daily. Different shrinks would have different opinion on this, but generally, the correct answer is that they should only be used as-needed and occasionally.

You might want to check out the other recent question I posted on the benzos board, re: addiction.

raining

#3 Lars

Lars

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:22 AM

Depends. Most common figures I have seen say it has between 50 to 100hr halflife. Some metabolites (eg nordazepam) last longer, and some medications slows down elimination, giving it a 200hr half-life. But yes, Valium is a long-acting benzo by any measure.

Lots of people take it daily. Different shrinks would have different opinion on this, but generally, the correct answer is that they should only be used as-needed and occasionally.

You might want to check out the other recent question I posted on the benzos board, re: addiction.

raining

I meant do the effects last all day if taken in the morning?
Dx's:
Borderline personality disorder, GAD, SAD, Major depressive disorder and social phobia.

Rx's:
Effexor XR 450MG morning, Lyrica 300MG morning and night, Abilify 10MG morning,Remeron 45MG at night, Up to 150MG Vistril/Atarax PRN, Valium 10MG PRN and Zyprexa in case of emergencies.

#4 raining

raining

yes it is.

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:33 AM

Only one way to find out...

Edited by raining, 20 May 2008 - 08:33 AM.

#5 ShadowCat

ShadowCat

Forsooth! Methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!

• Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:04 AM

raining

With me they last up to half a day... YMMV
Generic apologies:brain=divide by zero error

Dx: Bipolar I, AS. pdoc says: "current episode mania" - third time this year, new record!

DO
PRINT RND
LOOP
(Ctrl-Break not working for last 8 months)

"Believing oneself to be perfect is often the sign of a delusional mind." -- Data to Borg Queen

"qaStaH nuq jay'. QI'yaH. nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'" -- Worf

#6 openembrace

openembrace

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:22 PM

It depends on the person, I believe. I take it at night and it completely wipes me out. Therefore I can't take it during the day. I'm only on it short term though (from an ER visit) and by morning I'm back to my "usual" self.
DX: who knows. who cares.

"And she could not hide her tears
They were sent to wash away those years.."

#7 Alpam

Alpam

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:15 AM

I personally take 10mg of Valium twice a day, usually early morning and early afternoon. The initial relaxation and calmness that the Valium provides me usually only lasts up to about 4 hours, after that I notice I become edgy, stutter more and fiddle around alot. However if I miss a dose, I can still feel the effects of the drug for a couple of days, although at a greatly reduced effect.
dx: Major depression, panic disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder and Adult ADD.
Current meds: Parnate 60mg
, Abilify 10mg, Propranolol 120mg, Circadin 2mg, Topamax 100mg
Previous meds: Zoloft, Mirtazapine(shudder), Cymbalta, Dothiepin, Reboxetine, Citalopram, Nortriptyline, Pristiq, Zyprexa, Temazepam, Diazepam, Xanax, Clonazepam, Clorpromazine, Sodium Valproate, Amisulpride, Seroquel .

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.