Nicked a tendon

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jenny

Jenny

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:15 PM

I nicked a tendon in my left wrist when I cut about a month ago.
I had to get stitches... they stitched up the skin but that's it.
I irritated it when I bent it 90 degrees and put pressure on it and have since had it in a brace (about a week)
It's painful to bend my wrist either way.
Will this heal on its own? How long will it take? Do I need to see a doc? Etc..?

thanks.
Jenny

There was a little girl,
Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good,
She was very, very good,
But when she was bad, she was horrid.

#2 Ophelia

Ophelia

I bitch, therefore I am...

• Pip
  • 3287 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:48 PM

i would go see a doctor. you need to get that checked out by a professional.

"Instant gratification takes too long." ~Carrie Fisher

"You're wrong! I do have feelings. I'm an actress! I have all of them." ~Elise Elliot (Goldie Hawn), 'The First Wives Club'

"The defects and faults of the mind are like wounds in the body. After all imaginable care has been taken to heal them up, still there will be a scar left behind." ~Francois de la Rochefoucauld

"It has been said that time heals all wounds. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens, but it is never gone." ~Rose Kennedy

#3 Paper Flames

Paper Flames

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:50 PM

Seeing a doctor is always best. It will eventually heal. When you aggravate it will take longer to heal, but it will eventually heal on it's own. Aside from it in a brace so that you avoid further aggravation to it, there is nothing more a doctor can do for you. A doctor can, however, look at it and make sure that it is healing and and infection hasn't set in.

Just so you know, I am NOT a medical professional. I am just speaking from experience. This is what I've been told when I did the same thing. It's always best to do your own research. And always see a doctor if you are in doubt.

#4 MiaB

MiaB

another crazy cat person

• Inmate
  • 3288 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:46 AM

Did a doctor give you the brace or did you buy it for yourself? I do think it's a good idea to wear one, but I'd also go have it formally checked out just to make sure that it's healing properly (and that you haven't aggravated the nick further with the bending and pressure). Better safe than sorry.

good luck
Mia

BP1 (with psychosis), migraines

Daily meds: Lithium 1000mg, Seroquel XR 600mg, Seroquel IR 125mg, Lamotrigine 350mg, Fluanxol 1mg, Loprazolam 2mg

PRN meds: Diazepam 5-10mg, Maxalt 10mg

Ex meds: Alprazolam SR, Amitriptyline, Ativan, Clozapine, Effexor XR, Etomine, Ritalin, Solian, Tegretol, Thorazine, Trileptal, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Zolpidem, Zopiclone, Zyprexa

I am not a healthcare professional of any kind.  Always consult your care provider.

Paragraph breaks are your friend. 

#5 joseclar

joseclar

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:20 PM

You should see a doctor. But it is my experience that doctors a not very friendly/understanding with cutting incidents. They usually have an insulting tone and assume you tried to kill yourself.

#6 Guest_gemma_*

Guest_gemma_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2008 - 03:24 AM

hi there, i have just read ur post, and am struggaling to type this as i have a nicked tendon in my right wrist, i caused my injury by smacking it against a wall whilst moving my sons stuff around in his room, i then later shocked it again by trappin it lol, i was in agony for 3 days, and finally took myself to the hospital yesterday,
i have pain in the fattie bit by my thumb, 3 of my fingers are cold and numb and have been since the accident, the numbeness gets that bad that it actually causes me pain and physically wakes me up in tears at night, the hospital took xrays to check for fractures and breaks.........there wasnt any but they said i have nicked several tendons in my hand which is why im in so much pain, they perscribed me codine and paracetamol and put me in a splint, im supposed to be resting it completely, but with 2 children someone please tell me how im ment to do that with the youngest being 7 months lol,
i completely sympathise with your pain, i found that if i stuck my hand in a bowl of warm water it eased it, i checked with the doctor and the warmth should not irritate the injury aslong as its after 48 hours of injury happening, i also found that DEEP HEAT SPRAY can ease it for a little bit too,
yes it will heal by itself but as everyone else has quite rightly said, u need to get it checked and u need to get some codine for the pain.......i tryed 600mg ibruprofen for 3 days before i got mine checked, the doctor at the hospital even commented that the hospital only give out 400mg of ibruprofen so what i was using was very strong........also a nicked tendon can be as painfull as a broken bone...........i hope you are pain free soon

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.