Klonopin = HUGE energy boost?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SouthOfQuirky

SouthOfQuirky

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:44 PM

So, I mentioned this in a reply to another message, but then I thought: man, I'm really curious about this...I should start a new thread...

Has anyone else found that Klonopin actually makes you feel MORE awake/alert/energetic, etc? (Or any other benzos, for that matter.)

The first week, it made me extremely sleepy, but once my body got used to it, I found that it actually was really invigorating. I've since weaned off for a while, mostly because I have "unstable moods" and was worried I might just be hypomanic. The energy level definitely dropped slightly once the Klonopin was out of my system. (Then again, I also got sick.)

Just wondering if anyone else had the "opposite effect" from a benzo. Most people complain about it making 'em Řber sleepy, zoned out, etc.

Think anxiety is just so exhausting, it actually sucks out more of your energy than a benzo? That's my theory.
DX: Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Bulimia Nervosa = formal diagnoses. Also dealing with mood volatility and occasional self-injury.
RX: .5 mg Klonopin and .25 mg Xanax as needed, 300mg Lithium.Energy drinks in the morning, alcohol at night, mary jane when I can afford it. Yeah. I need a new doctor.

#2 kst7488

kst7488

Douchebag

• Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:18 PM

my bf is this way.

Posted Image
oh come on im kidding...

SA, GAD and who knows what else....
Meds: Klonopin .75 mg a day, and still tapering....

#3 resonance

resonance

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 2834 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:33 PM

I sometimes have mood swings where I'm both wired and really sleepy at the same time, and when that happens it both calms me down and wakes me up.

#4 Rabbit37

Rabbit37

It's a fuckin' zoo around here

• Pip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:51 AM

I wouldn't say that I have a huge energy boost for a regular dose (1-2mg), but I don't feel sleepy at that level, just more calm. To be sleepy, it takes 4.
dx - BP, OCD and BPD, oh yeah, and some GAD as well
rx - lithium, risperidone, citalopram, vistaril and vitamins

#5 celestia

celestia

• Pip
  • 3855 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:02 AM

Think anxiety is just so exhausting, it actually sucks out more of your energy than a benzo? That's my theory.

I was on it for a long time and this would be my first guess. I never got an energy boost, but, meh.

S9
diagnoses: MDD/ADD/PTSD
Current meds: Wellbutrin 450/Lexapro 30

#6 lysergia

lysergia

ripping off the bootstraps

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3583 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:59 PM

I sometimes have mood swings where I'm both wired and really sleepy at the same time, and when that happens it both calms me down and wakes me up.

i think that's what happens here. the energy has someplace better to go than in circles panicking.
i've never heard anyone else say they get wired and sleepy together - we get that a LOT.

current dx:

BPII, DDNOS, major anxiety issues, PTSD issues (now subclinical), ED issues (recovered anorexic), auditory/visual/tactile hallucinations

current rx:

bupropion XL 300 mg, clonazepam 3 mg, zopiclone 7.5 mg, synthroid 0.15 mg (supplements: D3, B12, Omega 3)

download.jpg

#7 LikeMinded

LikeMinded

Too many answers, not enough questions.

• Pip
  • 2182 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:11 PM

I think I'm going to have to agree with a few people here and say that it's not Klonopin itself that directly gives me the energy boost, it's what it does to my psychology and neurology that gives me an energy boost.

Klonopin helps me with my rare Concerta-induced anxiety states (they only happen if I accidentally take a dose of Mirapex with it, which I'm not supposed to as it apparently blocks methylphenidate's exit from your body), and as it relieves the anxiety, makes me feel more energetic and productive.

Moreover, it really helps with my "physical" (non-"psychiatric") leg muscle pain (a condition called dystonia, think RLS, but very painful and 24/7). That really does make Klonopin a God-send so that I can get through the day (although there's not much in my days now, spare for lying around on my bed with a fever most of the time).

CAUTION: I'm a graduate computational medicine/allied health information student, and NOT a licensed clinician of any sort in any part of the world.  I can come up with lots of algorithms, generalities, and statistics but cannot provide specific medical advice for you!  You, along with your healthcare provider/pdoc/tdoc/etc. are the best decision makers for what is best!

Me: MDD, AD/HD, Asperger's/HFA/PDD-NOS/WTF, REM behavioral disorder/misc. sleep issues, some variant of PTSD... toss in hypothyroidism, post-meningitis-related Parkinson's disease/tremor, early stage pulmonary hypertension from a connective tissue disorder that wants me dead before age 60, and a few misc. manly hormone issues, and you'll get a few insights on where that PTSD came from.

Now on: Cymbalta, mirtazapine, oxybutynin, clonazepam, lamotrigine, clonidine, levothyroxine, metformin, Testim.  As Velvet Elvis implied, I sound like a freakin' maraca salesman when I go through airport security.

#8 alcheme

alcheme

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:06 PM

On many levels, absolutely!!!! I have severe thinking / organizing / planning / perfectionistic OCD. At first it was prescribed to me as a sleeping pill for my Bipolar (gotta get good sleep or bad things happen...), but after about a week, it really didn't help with sleeping at all. My pdoc gave me Seroquel for sleeping, AWESOME BTW, and recatgorized my Klonopin for anxiety (before he found out I had severe OCD). He prescribed 0.5mg once or twice a day, but I am popping 1 - 1.5mg 2 -3 times a day (calling him about it tomorrow). I finally have the the lack of anxiety holding me back and feel like I can act and implement my plans and make progress. It is the best drug I have been prescribed. It makes me want to cry in a good way. I don't feel so overwhelmed and crushed by life and like I really do have a life again (and want to go out and live it)...

Edited by alcheme, 13 October 2008 - 07:07 PM.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not a man."

Dx: Bipolar I (08/20/08), OCD (09/15/08)
Rx: Geodon 80mg HS, Geodon 20mg TID, Paxil 40mg HS, Lamictal 100mg BID, Klonopin 1mg / Valium 10 mg PRN
Prev Rx: Abilify (akathisia / suicidal ADHD), Geodon (made me pass out at 40mg, had to take 5 times a day at 20mg), Seroquel (made me gain weight)

#9 Guest_nicole_*

Guest_nicole_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:58 PM

So, I mentioned this in a reply to another message, but then I thought: man, I'm really curious about this...I should start a new thread...

Has anyone else found that Klonopin actually makes you feel MORE awake/alert/energetic, etc? (Or any other benzos, for that matter.)

The first week, it made me extremely sleepy, but once my body got used to it, I found that it actually was really invigorating. I've since weaned off for a while, mostly because I have "unstable moods" and was worried I might just be hypomanic. The energy level definitely dropped slightly once the Klonopin was out of my system. (Then again, I also got sick.)

Just wondering if anyone else had the "opposite effect" from a benzo. Most people complain about it making 'em ´┐Żber sleepy, zoned out, etc.

#10 Guest_nicole_*

Guest_nicole_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:01 PM

Yes benzos especially Klonopin wake me up and help me feel less overwhelmed, I love them!!!

#11 wondernut

wondernut

disconcerted citizen

• Pip
  • 971 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:01 PM

since you asked about benzos in general as well ..the answer is yes ..sometimes I do get an energy boost from valium I am stunned when it happens because usually it does relax and sedate me (I only use it for muscle spasms or dental visits) my usual xanax calms me completely

Edited by wondernut, 12 August 2009 - 05:02 PM.

wellbutrin, vit D, coffee, ibuprofen
xanax lick as needed

#12 recoverymouse

recoverymouse

• Pip
  • 528 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:11 PM

this discussion reminds me of another depressant that can make one feel energetic: alcohol. point being, depressants (benzos are a hypnotic that depress the central nervous system) can have paradoxical effects. from wikipedia

Paradoxical effects
Paradoxical reactions, such as aggression, violence, impulsivity, irritability and suicidal behavior sometimes occur. These reactions have been explained as consequences of disinhibition, that is loss of control over socially unacceptable behavior. Paradoxical reactions are rare in the general population, with an incidence rate below 1% and similar to placebo.[6][59] However, they occur with greater frequency in recreational abusers, individuals with borderline personality disorder, children and patients on high-dosage regimes.[60][61] In these groups, impulse control problems are perhaps the most important risk factor for disinhibition; learning disabilities and neurological disorders are also significant risks. Most reports of disinhibition involve high doses of high-potency benzodiazepines.[59] Paradoxical effects may only appear after chronic use of benzodiazepines.[62]

#13 MarkP

MarkP

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:35 AM

I don't take clonazepam, but I know that benzos have worked wonders in helping me get a restful night's sleep, which really makes me un-depressed, and energetic during the day.

What's completely bizarre, IMHO, is the likes of Heather Ashton running around claiming that there's never a reason to use benzos for more than a couple weeks. This has been miracle medicine for me, given my life back, after suffering from sleep problems for so long. I no longer fear the bedroom, because I know that I'm in control of my sleep, which in itself, is quite calming.

Edited by MarkP, 18 August 2009 - 03:38 AM.

#14 felnx

felnx

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:07 PM

Just wondering if anyone else had the "opposite effect" from a benzo. Most people complain about it making 'em ´┐Żber sleepy, zoned out, etc.

Klonopin used to give me a HUGE energy boost. 1 milligram of it and I could stay up all night and be clear headed the whole day after. Now it just levels my moods out.
Xanax did that too but not ativan. Yeah, I think it was the anxiety fuckes up your energy level thing.

#15 Guest_mr.b_*

Guest_mr.b_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 02:02 PM

I just started taking Klonopin about a week ago and I find that 2 0.5mg tabs really makes me wired and jittery including constantly tapping on things. I also get what some have reported before about feeling this energy and sleepy at the same time. Mostly my eyes just feel heavy. No lethargic feeling or anything.

#16 beetle

beetle

• Pip
  • 804 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:23 PM

I haven't read through the whole thread so maybe it's been said, but paradoxical reactions can happen to people on benzos...as well as other meds for that matter.
Dx:
"My working Dx is Bipolar. Yes, there seems to be some HFA traits." ~my pdoc
Possibly BP II ~a Psy.D

Rx:
AM Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Ritalin LA 30mg, Klonopin .5mg,
PM Geodon 160mg, Klonopin 1mg

Dx past: BP NOS w/ schizoid tendencies, Double depression, MDD or something
Rx past: Lithium+prozac, tegretol+paxil, effexor+wellbutrin, lexapro, cymbalta, provigil,
zoloft+ strattera, abilify (twice)+wellbutrin, lamictal+wellbutrin, risperdal, trileptal and a dash of xanax and klonopin

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.