Photo
- - - - -

What's the difference between an SSRI (Zoloft) and SNRI (Lexapro)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 toronto_girl

toronto_girl

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:54 AM

Anyone mind letting me know what is the difference difference between an SSRI (i.e. Zoloft) and SNRI (i.e. Lexapro). I chose those 2 as an example as I have been on both of them. And Lexapro was horrible. (for me anyways...)

Thanks,

M. ;)

Edited by toronto_girl, 14 August 2008 - 09:32 AM.

DX: Epilepsy
RX:

Anti-convulsant: Topiramate: 150 mg daily; Clonazepam 0.50mg; Wellbutrin XL 150 mg

#2 SashaSue

SashaSue

Vulpes Bipolaris

• Pip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:04 AM

I've never heard of an MRI. What does it stand for?

In any case, lexapro is an SSRI.
Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD<br />
Rx: Seroquel, 800mg, Lamictal, 150mg, Effexor, 325mg, Wellbutrin, 450, Dexedrine ER, 60mg

#3 toronto_girl

toronto_girl

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:27 AM

I've never heard of an MRI. What does it stand for?

In any case, lexapro is an SSRI.

SORRY I meant to say SNRI (Effexor)
DX: Epilepsy
RX:

Anti-convulsant: Topiramate: 150 mg daily; Clonazepam 0.50mg; Wellbutrin XL 150 mg

#4 Artemisia

Artemisia

• Pip
  • 1006 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:01 PM

MRI=multiple reuptake inhibitor; I think the term usually refers to Wellbutrin, which mostly affects dopamine and then norepinaphrine.

SNRI=selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor; mostly inhibits the reuptake of norepinephrine (from the synapse between neurons); at different doses, though, Effexor is thought to inhibit the reuptake of serotonin, then norepinephrine, then perhaps even dopamine; Cymbalta is another SNRI

SSRI=selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor; as you can guess, it will mostly inhibit the reuptake of serotonin

The truth is that various "selective [pick your favorite neurotransmitter] reuptake inhibitors" aren't 100% selective; they will inhibit at least a little bit the reuptake of other neurotransmitters, besides the one that's in their name.
The Relevant Basics:

Diagnosis - Depression
Current psych meds - sertraline; zolpidem PRN

#5 scream_phoenix

scream_phoenix

• Pip
  • 339 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:05 PM

an SNRI affects both serotonin and norepinephrine. SSRI's just affect the reuptake of serotonin. an SNRI might help you more with focus and alleviate some aspects of depression not controlled by serotonin alone. other people could probably give you more insight to their effects becuase i've never been on an SNRI for very long.

norepinephrine is the crucial chemical to the fight or flight response so i do not do well with any med that messes with norepinephrine (commonly abbreviated NE) i can become panicky and really on edge. but like i said it might help with some aspects of depression that an ssri won't. and fwiw its worth zoloft has a very slight affect on dopamine, and i think that's why its the ssri i prefer since it doesn't make me quite as numb as the other. that could all be in my head though, but either way i don't take zoloft because it interferes with my thyroid meds. i guess it all depends on what you're taking the ssri or snri for whether one's better for you or not.

Dx: OCD, PTSD (Depression and Anxiety throughout)

Rx: Klonopin 1mg x 2.5 day, Celexa 60 mg, Lamictal 200 mg, Seroquel 300 mg

#6 Artemisia

Artemisia

• Pip
  • 1006 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:07 PM

P.S. Supposedly, Lexapro is closest to being just a serotonin reuptake inhibitor. The others are a bit less... umm... "faithful" to serotonin.
The Relevant Basics:

Diagnosis - Depression
Current psych meds - sertraline; zolpidem PRN

#7 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13116 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:12 PM

Cymbalta and effexor are MRIs, acting on both serotonin and norepenephrine. Other examples are Remeron and Wellbutrin. If it blocks reuptake at receptor sites for more than one neurotransmitter, it's an MRI, multiple reuptake inhibitor.

Examples of SNRIs are Strattera and Reboxitine

SSRIs are Luvox, Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa and Lexapro.

Pretty much everything anyone has said thus far is false.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#8 bearfan

bearfan

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:04 PM

Artemisia is correct, the most selective are Lexapro followed by Celexa. The other SSRI's primarly target Serotonin but may affect other neurotransmitters to a small degree.

Edited by bearfan, 13 September 2008 - 03:04 PM.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.