- - - - -

Pristiq Side Effects?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sorcy_*

Guest_Sorcy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:26 PM

So I started Pristiq 3 days ago. I am also on xanax 1.5 mg Paxil 40 mg Trazadon 100 mg and bc. So far I have felt like crap. I have suffered from insomnia before but never this bad I haven't been able to sleep in 2 days. I get panic attacks and litterly shake and am jittery all day which the xanax doesn't help. I am a roller coaster of emotions I go from being super pissed to crying for no reason. I am very upset this is actually messing with my daily life. I have missed 3 classes so far because i was either to tired or to anxious or jittery. I litterly can not sit still. I hear it is supposed to be a miracle drug but so far it hasn't helped. I dont know I am going to give it more time. Tonight I decided to take it in the am instead of before I go to bed so hopefully I will get some sleep. I've actually locked myself in my room today so that I don't go off on my roommate. I have tried lexapro before to no avail. Has anyone else had these side effects?

Also I am considering going off all meds. I am not sure. I just feel like I am over medicated and what not. I have never been one to take meds untill now

#2 BlueEyes

BlueEyes

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:09 AM

So I started Pristiq 3 days ago. I am also on xanax 1.5 mg Paxil 40 mg Trazadon 100 mg and bc. So far I have felt like crap. I have suffered from insomnia before but never this bad I haven't been able to sleep in 2 days. I get panic attacks and litterly shake and am jittery all day which the xanax doesn't help. I am a roller coaster of emotions I go from being super pissed to crying for no reason. I am very upset this is actually messing with my daily life. I have missed 3 classes so far because i was either to tired or to anxious or jittery. I litterly can not sit still. I hear it is supposed to be a miracle drug but so far it hasn't helped. I dont know I am going to give it more time. Tonight I decided to take it in the am instead of before I go to bed so hopefully I will get some sleep. I've actually locked myself in my room today so that I don't go off on my roommate. I have tried lexapro before to no avail. Has anyone else had these side effects?

Also I am considering going off all meds. I am not sure. I just feel like I am over medicated and what not. I have never been one to take meds untill now

Hi Sorcy -

I also had insomnia problems for about 6 or 7 days. The thing that most of us seemed to have found is that most, if not all, side effects are gone within 2 weeks, with the drug really taking full effect within 4 to 6 weeks. It really is worth the wait, and I would give it some time. You may also have to change the time you take it. Some take it in the morning, some in the evening. It depends on how it affects you.

Here are the links to the two main Pristiq threads. I hope you continue to post your experiences and questions for others to read. Feel free to PM me or other Pristiq users with questions. ;)

[link=http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=23625&hl=pristiq" target="_blank]pristiq guinea pig[/link]
more pristiq

- blue

Edited by BlueEyes, 10 September 2008 - 08:15 AM.

"Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber."
-The Dude

dx: major depressive disorder
rx: pristiq 50mg. xanax for my freakouts

other junk:
daily - gigantic multi vitamins, 1200mg omega 3-6-9, chromium picolinate 200mcg
I'm feelin' good!

#3 coffeeisntbreakfast

coffeeisntbreakfast

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:01 AM

Hello, I have been nauseaus and weepy on Pristiq and stomach pains here and there. Some days I'm not nauseous. I've never thrown up though, not yet. I have headaches I can't get rid of but that's not necessarily new to me but not every day like it is now. I also have been "mean" at times. I have anxiety that was "gone", but now it's back and I'm afraid I'm dying of stomach cancer. I also take Wellbutrin, Topamax, Lamictal and Klonopin. I'm Bi-Polar, Major Depression all my life. Topamax helps the "emotional eating" and weight gain from meds.

Has anyone else had problems esp. with their stomach? I was on Effexor XR and I want to go back on it but my doc is very pro Pristiq and wants me to give it time, so I agreed, it's only been a couple weeks (almost) but I can't go on much longer feeling like this. I'd love to hear others' experiences.

Thanks for "listening", Lisa

Edited by coffeeisntbreakfast, 27 September 2008 - 11:06 AM.

#4 raccoonwoman7

raccoonwoman7

raccoonwoman7

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:34 PM

Pristiq's effectiveness is nothing like all the hype about it.
I started on it 1 week ago and I am calling my doctor today to tell her
I am stopping it. I haven't been sleeping, usually getting up by 1am each day.
I itch from head to toe, and I have not noticed one positive medical effect.

I had been on lamictal but they switched me to the generic, causing rashes and
burning sensations. So instead of increasing my lamictal they decided to add this
wonder pill to the bunch. what a croc of shit.

I am so tired of all these new meds that are pushed by the doctors and pharmaceutical
companies, only to find out later that there is a class action suit due to its longterm
effects. Seems like whatever they have 'samples' of is what they push. I have been
on 53 different meds, although Prozac is outdated, I can at least tolerate it and
learn to live with it.

#5 BlueEyes

BlueEyes

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:22 AM

Pristiq's effectiveness is nothing like all the hype about it.
I started on it 1 week ago and I am calling my doctor today to tell her
I am stopping it. I haven't been sleeping, usually getting up by 1am each day.
I itch from head to toe, and I have not noticed one positive medical effect.

I had been on lamictal but they switched me to the generic, causing rashes and
burning sensations. So instead of increasing my lamictal they decided to add this
wonder pill to the bunch. what a croc of shit.

I am so tired of all these new meds that are pushed by the doctors and pharmaceutical
companies, only to find out later that there is a class action suit due to its longterm
effects. Seems like whatever they have 'samples' of is what they push. I have been
on 53 different meds, although Prozac is outdated, I can at least tolerate it and
learn to live with it.

Hi raccoon-

I can imagine how frustrated you are. However, you can't knock a drug you haven't put the full 4 to 6 weeks into. Pristiq has been my "wonder drug" and has totally changed my life. I agree that the drug companies are completely screwed up, and we are all at the mercy of them and the few unethical doctors that are in their pockets. Buuut, that doesn't mean the product doesn't work for some of us.

I suggest you read this main CB Pristiq thread...a lot of us wrote about our experiences on CB since there wasn't much online about Pristiq. Your first week is not unlike what some of us experienced. I think for a good portion of us though, the worst of the side effects and sleep problems had subsided in about 2 weeks. Pristiq guinea pigs

It sounds like you have been on the med-go-round and are tired of it....give it some time so that you can truly rule it out.

- Blue

"Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber."
-The Dude

dx: major depressive disorder
rx: pristiq 50mg. xanax for my freakouts

other junk:
daily - gigantic multi vitamins, 1200mg omega 3-6-9, chromium picolinate 200mcg
I'm feelin' good!

#6 Artemisia

Artemisia

• Pip
  • 1006 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:43 AM

Will you be tapering the Paxil down? Both Paxil and Pristiq slow down the re-uptake of serotonin from your synapses, and taking both at once could put you at risk for serotonin syndrome.

http://en.wikipedia....otonin_syndrome
The Relevant Basics:

Diagnosis - Depression
Current psych meds - sertraline; zolpidem PRN

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:20 AM

Hi Raccoon,
Good on you, I only took it for a few days and also have given up on it...I had a sore throat, aching back, severe sweating, laboured breathing and tight chest.......wondered if it was an allergic reaction or just side effects......was so sick I could only lie in bed but couldn't sleep after I took it..panicky, I am fed up with feeling like a guinea pig for the latest batch of chemicals.
Word of advice...try Lexapro if you haven't before...it is really well tolerated among the general population, I didn't have one side effect, except some weight gain with longer term use, and I think none of these A/D are meant for long-term use, I think that they eventually stop working and its onto the next. I'm thinking of stopping all A/D and trying St John's Wort (natural herb for depression, takes longer to work but usually have pluses, not side-effects)

#8 ggprime

ggprime

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:47 PM

I have been taking Pristiq for about 3 months. I almost went off it after a week b/c i felt so terrible. but i am glad i stuck it out. The headaches i had been getting are much better, but i have gastrointestinal upset such that I feel like whatever i eat goes right through me. Compared to some of the other side effects i had been having with other meds, (migraines, vomiting, fainting, weight gain)this is manageable, but annoying nonetheless. Anyone have any thoughts?

#9 Petey

Petey

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:28 PM

Hi there, everyone. Maybe somebody has had a similar experience I've had with Pristiq and/or the experience I'll describe below. I've been on the Prestiq now for about a week. The first couple days I seemed to have an immediate reaction in terms of the main effects. Less anxiety and I actually just felt good one night, despite the side effects. The side effects have been loss of sex drive, insomnia (though I can sleep if I take a Tylenol PM), and MAJOR brain fog and fatigue. The latter is the most unbearable. I feel like I'm in a dreamscape. I couldn't get out of bed the past few days because I'm just so tired and unmotivated. Now, I'm slipping into a depressed mood again. I feel so lethargic and sedated. I'm almost ready to call it quits on the meds, but I've read so many who said they were glad they stuck with it. Since I had a moment or two in the beginning that gave me some hope that this med can help me, I'm probably going to stick with it, but this really sucks right now. Anyone have similar effects as this and did it go away after a couple weeks?

Also, I have ADD symptoms and was "diagnosed" with ADD (distractibility). Personally, I feel that we all just have different degrees with which we can focus. I have a more difficult time, particularly in the past several years, since I've stopped working professionally. I was a real estate investor and got out in 2005. Yeah for me. BUT I've lost a tremendous amount of momentum. I now have an extremely difficult time focussing and getting back into the game. I've fallen into a depression, and I don't know whether to treat it with an antidepressant or an ADD med. Anyone have any insight into any of this? Thanks.

Peter

#10 Guest_Guest_angel_*_*

Guest_Guest_angel_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:53 PM

Hi, I too have been taking Pristiq for about a month now and have never felt so bad in my life. ;) The headaches are the worst. I am dizzy all the time cant concentrate and my headaches are so bad they make me vomit. I am getting myself off of this stuff and am going to try Celexa. I have been reviewing it and it seems pretty good. If anyone has tried it and can tell me a little about it I would greatly appreciate it. I am tired of trying different things and feeling like crap!! Thanks for any input. I hope you all start feeling better soon too!

#11 Guest_addanothermed_*

Guest_addanothermed_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:46 PM

Did any of you take Effexor and have a bad time, but do alright on Pristiq?

Effexor was a really bad med for me, but I wasn't taking a mood stabilizer at the time. It gave me headaches, made me grind my teeth even while asleep, and gave me a tremor in my hand (although my psych at the time said there was "no way" the tremor came from Effexor, it went away with the Effexor.) And getting off of Effexor after only a month was pretty rough.

My current psych has been pretty good at figuring out combos for me for the past 5 years. After the Celexa and then Lexapro (great meds for me) pooped out, she asked if I would try the Pristiq. It's supposed to have fewer side effects than Effexor, and does not clear through one's liver--which is great for those of us taking lots of meds.

Have been taking Pristiq for about 2 weeks. Have not yet decided what I think of it. I have developed a persistent but mild sore throat and mild shallow cough (coughing fits from the top of my throat, not my lungs) and a slight fever (always under 100) and nausea. ? Don't have the tooth grinding or the tremor. Maybe I'm just sick with a mild virus. I have no idea.

I hate to cycle through a bunch of meds; I've taken so many in the last 20 years. Now taking Lamictal, Celexa, Wellbutrin, Pristiq (halved the Celexa while building up the Pristiq).

#12 Guest_Lizzie_*

Guest_Lizzie_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:56 PM

Hey there. I just started Pristiq and Klonopin this week. At first I felt nauseous and had a sore throat the first 2 days but I feel better. I'm just sleepy all the time. I take this at night so that I can have a good night sleep but when I wake up at 6 to go to work, I stay sleepy all day long. I was also on Wellbutrin for about a month but stopped because I was still having anxiety attacks everyday, it had no effect on me whatsoever. Most of my family on my dad's side of the family have anxiety and panic disorder. My sister, niece, and nephew take effexor, my brother takes xanax and my dad takes alprazolam. I'd love to hear any inputs on any of these medications.

Thanks,
Lizzie

#13 Guest_Mandy_*

Guest_Mandy_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:27 PM

can someone PLEASE tell me what this horrible taste is in my mouth????? I have only taken one pristiq pill, and I haven't been able to eat anything because of this taste.please help

#14 Guest_jesskihss acker_*

Guest_jesskihss acker_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:32 PM

wow thats a lot of drugs....maybe u should consider not taking so many

#15 Guest_I'maG_*

Guest_I'maG_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:21 AM

Don't go off all meds! It makes things way worse, trust me. I was on 100mg of zoloft daily till it stopped working after a year. I stopped taking it cold turkey and it was hell! I did lose 20 pounds though... Six months has gone by and I'm now taking lamictal 50mg's a day and pristiq 50mg's a day... It's been one week and I feel awesome, with the exception that I've turned into an insomniac! I'm going on 30 hours now with no sleep! My brain is wide awake but my body needs rest! Is this from the lamictal or the pristiq? Has anyone had insomnia from these meds? Thanks in advance for your input!

#16 Guest_Debracnne_*

Guest_Debracnne_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:54 PM

I just started pristiq and the naseau was terrible and the stpomach aches and headache but I will try to stay with it as I am a compulsive overeater and I find it has helped ,
I havent weighted myself but I do feel I lost weight

I was on another andepressant and it was better for my anxiety than this one but it didnt help with weight loss as much as this , but I slept better

#17 Guest_julie9533_*

Guest_julie9533_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:38 PM

I've found Pristiq to be just so-so. Hands down the best med ever for me was Lexapro. I'd still be on it if it hadn't stopped working after 3 years. Since then I've taken Cymbalta and Pristiq. The Cymbalta did nothing; Pristiq has provided minimal results. I do not have the problems with insomnia or nausea/headaches that some talk about. I do still suffer from extreme fatigue in the afternoon mostly, but not every day as with Cymbalta. Would be great if those of us with anxiety or depression didn't have to take anything, huh? Maybe someday.... ;-)

#18 Guest_Simonsays_*

Guest_Simonsays_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:22 PM

I've found Pristiq to be just so-so. Hands down the best med ever for me was Lexapro. I'd still be on it if it hadn't stopped working after 3 years. Since then I've taken Cymbalta and Pristiq. The Cymbalta did nothing; Pristiq has provided minimal results. I do not have the problems with insomnia or nausea/headaches that some talk about. I do still suffer from extreme fatigue in the afternoon mostly, but not every day as with Cymbalta. Would be great if those of us with anxiety or depression didn't have to take anything, huh? Maybe someday.... ;-)

There is one thing I know that does work for me....drinking alcohol with pristiq...It makes me hostile and mean

#19 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:29 AM

yes im on xanix too and it works for me, though im trying desperately to get off it. but I get the shakes and dizziness before i need to take one table. Im also on pristiq 50 mg. This works a little, but sometimes you get sick in the stomach.. I have no trouble with the tablets other than I get very tired after using xanix for around 4 hours or so and sometimes feel a little unstable on my feet. I need to move my body otherwise my neck starts hurting and i feel dizzy......Im being treated for anxiety....which could be something like cronic fatigue... who knows what i have....done all the tests but still cant find the right answer..so have put it down to anxiety....keep taking it at the right times everyday and it most likely will work. I heard that long term use of xanix you can can lose some of your memory... ive been on both for nearly 1 year now....
All the best with your illness!

;)

#20 Guest_guest_bree_*

Guest_guest_bree_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:20 AM

I spent a lot of time reading the long pristiq post (with 20 odd pages) it was encouraging to me, I have a hard
time getting through the side effects though so I'm a little nervous. I tried abilify and nefazadone and couldn't
be on those for more than a few days. I'm on 300mg Wellbutrin xl which does help but it's not helping enough (I was
on prozac and wellbutrin for years but finally I got tired of having NO sex drive/feeling like a zombie on prozac,
so I just went down to wellbutrin) so my doctor is now trying me on pristiq. I took my first pill today and it's been a trip.
Didn't notice anything for a while, then I got tired and felt like I needed to lay down, then I felt sick to my stomach
and then I got a weird buzz/happy feeling and felt like I was on speed but that only lasted about 30 minutes (darn!) then
I went into this deep mental fog, losing sense of space, time and everything. It's very very very hard for me to be like
this I can't function, I feel like I can barely move. It's hard enough having depression, I barely get by doing the bare
minimum and I barely see anyone because I've been so depressed.. but this is awful. I know it's just the first day.. for
those that had this side effect.. how long did it last? I'm not sure I can take more than a week or so of this. Also I have
major depression, no anxiety though I do get anxious around people and I have some social anxiety, just for clarification there.
I have a hard time dealing with this feeling, I was walking down the hallway and I thought, where did the day go, I forgot it?
Like I'm lost in time and very lethargic like I'm not in control of my body. I don't like being out of control, I have huge issues
with that. I'm trying to think... well maybe I can get through this if it ends soon. This feeling is so awful to me though.
It was so deceiving too for that 30 minutes I felt euphoric, it was amazing, I felt free, I felt like all the weight of the world
and all the sorrow and sadness was stripped away and I could just be me, as I am and rejoice in it. It was amazing. I had energy
too!! I started thinking of all the ways I could make my life better. Then I descended into this god awful nightmare of being lost.
It's so frustrating to have this illness.. I am so sad that I can't feel like that euphoric time without the help of medicine.
It feels so cruel to me now.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.