- - - - -

Stopping Geodon cold turkey

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_Robert_*_*

Guest_Guest_Robert_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:45 PM

I've been taking geodon for a little over a week (4 days at 40, 4 days at 80). I tried to stop it last night, but I was up until 5am and finally took 80mg so that I could sleep. Is this the worst of the withdrawal symptoms? Could I die if I stop taking it? How long would the withdrawal symptoms typically last? I'm terrified, please help.

#2 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13115 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:57 PM

No, you won't die, but you'll feel like your're going to.

You might want to try tapering, going back down to 40mgs for a couple days then quitting.

You also could consider staying on it. A lot of the side effects it can have at first go away with time.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#3 MiaB

MiaB

another crazy cat person

• Inmate
  • 3609 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:59 PM

Did you call your pdoc about this? It's not the best idea to quit the med without her knowing about it. If nothing else, she could prescribe a short course of a benzo to get you through this.

I would guess that the withdrawals wouldn't last for long since you've only been taking it for a week, but I'm open to correction.

Dx and Rx are on my profile.

I am not a healthcare professional of any kind.  Always consult your care provider.

Paragraph breaks are your friend.  Extra large fonts are not.  And posting in free verse is just annoying.

42  (Douglas Adams)

#4 Mindful Momma

Mindful Momma

You can't run forever...

• Pip
  • 723 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 06:56 PM

take it from someone that just quit geodon 160mg, after 14 days, cold turkey - you don't want to do this. the withdrawals are wicked; insomnia, dizziness, throwing up, muscle spasms, among other things. i would definitely recommend that you talk to your doctor about getting on some kind of weaning off schedule to minimize these affects. believe me, coming off of this med cold turkey was a nightmare!

dx: C-PTSD and all that goes with it...oh yeah and Epilepsy

rx: 200mg Lamictal XR 2x/day, 30mg Adderall, 2mg Ativan 3x/day, 12mg Ambien CR prn

formerly known as...
my new blog, an attempt to be better than the last? We shall see.

"No one outside ourselves can rule us inwardly.
When we know this, we are truly free." - Coral Anika Theill

#5 Guest_Guest_Robert_*_*

Guest_Guest_Robert_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:31 PM

If I don't stop taking the Geodon, I'm afraid of long-term side effects. Does anyone know if Tardive Diskenisia and EPS are common with Geodon (and at what dose)?

#6 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13115 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:47 PM

TD is freakishly rare with atypical antipsychotics. Quitting due to the T.D. risk is akin to quitting driving because you might get in a fatal accident. Even if you were to get it, there are treatments for it.

Other forms of EPS are more common but still rare. TD is the only one that won't go away after discontinuing the medication.

Seriously, the risk is minuscule.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

#7 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

• Admin
  • 13115 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:50 PM

Here we go. As of 2004 there were two reported cases of TD resulting from Geodon. It's rare enough that individual instances get written up for medical journals.

http://ajp.psychiatr...ull/161/1/175-a

So yes, it's theoretically possible but the risk is on par with getting struck by lightning.

#8 Maychild

Maychild

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:46 AM

I quit Geodon at 40 mg's cold turkey here about a three weeks ago. It took about two days for the withdrawal symptoms to pass but you need something to take it's place. I had Haldol.
Reason I had to quit Geodon, it gave me mixed episodes...
"Once you've given up the ghost, everything else follows with dead certainty, even in the midst of chaos. From the beginning it was never anything but chaos: it was a fluid which enveloped me, which I breathed in through the gills." Henry Miller

Bipolar 1
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Social Anxiety Disorder
PTSD

450 mg's Wellbutrin
200 mg's Lamictal
100 mg's Thorazine
60 mg's Adderall
20 mg's Valium
25 mcg's Cytomel

#9 Guest_Guest_Robert_*_*

Guest_Guest_Robert_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:06 AM

Ok so I took 80mg three nights ago because I got insomnia from trying to quit. Then 2 nights ago I took 60. Last night I skipped and was thinking about taking it every other day, but I got some sleep on ambien and am not feeling any other symptoms besides insomnia. Does that mean I won't have anymore symptoms of withdrawal if I haven't had any yet? Or should I still take it every other day?

#10 Guest_Brandy_*

Guest_Brandy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

I AM CURRENTLY WEANING OFF OF GEODON. I HAVE BEEN TAKING 80MGS FOR A LITTLE OVER A YEAR. I HAVE RECENTLY DEVELOPED HIGH BLOOD SUGAR DUE TO THIS MEDICATION. I AM TAKING 1 PILL EVERY THIRD DAY AND BELIEVE ME THE WITHDRAWL SYMPTOMS ARE HORRIBLE. I JUST HOPE THE SMPTOMS GO AWAY SOON. I WILL CALL MY DOC TOMORROW TO CALL ME IN SOMETHING THAT WILL HELP ME WITH THE WITHDRAWLS.

#11 Anelize

Anelize

Lurker Deluxe

• Pip
  • 592 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

Are you going to be replacing this with another atypical? I'm currently weaning off geodon, and onto risperdal, so I'm not really having any issues that I can discern so far. I took my last 40mg of geodon last night, so now my task is to get to the "sweet spot" with the risperdal without going bonkers.
"Be Here Now"
--Chinacat

Check out my Blog--[link=http://www.nurseexec.com" target="_blank]Driven to Distraction[/link]

DX:
Bipolar I, rapid cycling; GAD; Addiction (Sobriety Date: 2/4/2000); RNY Gastric Bypass 2007
Med-Go-Round: Seroquel 800mg; Effexor 300mg; Neurontin 1200mg; Topamax 300mg
Stuff that doesn't agree with me for one reason or another: Risperdal, Remeron, Zyprexa, Abilify, Geodon; SSRIs, Wellbutrin; Lamictal; Lithium; Benzos

#12 Guest_flawsyballs_*

Guest_flawsyballs_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:56 AM

I quit Geodon cold turkey last night and I didnt sleep a wink. I have muscle aches from being up so long. 2 days now. My appetite is zero, which is a plus cause Geodon totally makes you fat. I gained 20 pounds. The symptoms I can deal with despite my psyciatrists warnings. I feel like its my body and if I dont want that powerful of a med inside me than I should be able to just stop. I cheek it. ;)

#13 Guest_pills_for_life_*

Guest_pills_for_life_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:22 AM

I just quit cold turkey off of 120 mg because it was making me restless. I didn't sleep either
and there's this weird body trip happening. My pdoc has known for months about akathisia issues
and keeps giving me more propranolol which doesn't help. Hang in there.

#14 koali777

koali777

• Pip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:03 AM

When I got off, I weaned down to 40 first and THEN cut cold turkey. It DID feel pretty crappy. Insomnia (didn't sleep for 36 hours) and when I'd almost doze I'd hallucinate, I'd get really really sad, and stuff seemed extra bright and trippy. They do say that schizophrenic or bipolar symptoms come from withdrawals though, so I suppose that was fairly normal.

My "Issues": Bipolar I with psychotic features; type 1 diabetes

My meds: Zyprexa- 10 mg twice daily; Lithium- 900 mg at night; Trileptal- 600 mg twice daily; Wellbutrin- 450 mg daily; Ritalin- 10 mg twice daily; Xanax- 0.25 mg PRN; insulin pump

Past antidepressants: Celexa, Zoloft, Lexapro, Pristiq, Nortriptyline, Wellbutrin SR

Past antipsychotics: Risperdal, Abilify, Seroquel, Geodon, Saphris, Latuda, Invega

Past anti-anxiety meds: Klonopin, Vistaril

Past ADD meds: Vyvanse, Strattera, Adderall XR, Adderall IR

Past sleep meds: Rozerem, Benadryl, Ambien, Restoril, Trazodone

#15 Guest_chris_*

Guest_chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:34 PM

coming off geodon was the worst experience of my life. i missed 4 weeks of work and didn't sleep more than an hour for many nights. it was really hell on earth! the reason i went off was that i took the medication at 1:00am instead of 8:00PM and the next morning i passed out while putting my makeup on. went to see a cardilogist who told me to talk to my psych and come off the drug. she told me to just stop taking it. the withdrawal came on hard and fast. so scary. please don't try to wean off this drug without close psychiatric care.

#16 Cetkat

Cetkat

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe..

• Pip
  • 3153 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:24 PM

I went down to 40mg..the lowest dose I had, then nothing. Worst withdrawal ever! I was in bed for three days, couldn't sleep, couldn't stand up, started seeing and hearing things (without any history of psychotic issues prior and since). I was a complete mess.

After the three days, I was fine & and felt so much better without the Geodon in my system.. so for me, it was worth it.

However, I'd think long and hard before trying this.
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

Dx: Major Depression w/ Dysthymia and Panic Disorder, ADHD, Fibromyalgia
Pdoc's Theory Dx: Bipolar NOS (recently re-theorized by current pdoc)
Rx : Emsam 6mg/24hr, Strattera 80mg, Lyrica 100mg, Armour Thyroid 60mg (1 gr), Nadolol prn, Xanax prn, Methocarbamol 750mg prn
EXRx : Zoloft, Seroquel, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Lamictal, Remeron, Lexapro, Abilify, Zyprexa, Geodon, Cymbalta, Paxil, Sonata, Lunesta, Effexor, Metadate, Risperdal, BuSpar, Ambien, Invega, Tegretol, Nortriptyline, Desipramine, Deplin, Neurontin, Concerta, Trazodone, Mirapex, Amitriptyline, Saphris, Prestiq

I do whatever my rice krispies tell me to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"OK so cheese is trapped, so you can't have cheese." - MDK
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _. _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

#17 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:17 PM

Hello- I was misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder and was put on geodon at night and pretiq for day. I had a scary rare tripping episode to which I couldn't control facial expressions. I went to the ER and they had a clinical psychologist evaluate me. Def not BIPOLAR!!! He was so pissed that a psychiatrist took a look at me and in twenty mins told me I was bipolar and threw these meds at me. I was told I wouldn't get dependant. I was never told about these side effects either. The er prescribed me valium and benadryl to reduce the side effects. I stayed up til 6am the next morning just to finally sleep after 4 valium for 3hrs! Im still not sleeping well and it's my second day off this. THis is the scariest worst experience of my life. Never again will I trust a psychiatrist to put me on meds again!

#18 Guest_Britzles_*

Guest_Britzles_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:49 PM

I've been on Geodon 160 for almost 7 years. When I started taking these pills I gained 80 lbs really fast. I tried weight watchers and lost 20 lbs, I exercise 2x a day 6 days a week and still can't lose the extra weight (I also eat very healthy). This has made me miserable for years because I always was very toned and skinny before taking this medication. So I have finally decided to stop taking geodon but have not decided if I'm going come off cold turkey or slowly reduce. It seems like everyone posting who has either come of cold turkey or have reduced have the same effects (those reducing experiencing the withdrawls longer). How long will the withdrawls last if I stop completely instead of reducing? And how long until my metabolism returns to normal?

#19 Guest_Amy_*

Guest_Amy_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:27 PM

Hello- I was misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder and was put on geodon at night and pretiq for day. I had a scary rare tripping episode to which I couldn't control facial expressions. I went to the ER and they had a clinical psychologist evaluate me. Def not BIPOLAR!!! He was so pissed that a psychiatrist took a look at me and in twenty mins told me I was bipolar and threw these meds at me. I was told I wouldn't get dependant. I was never told about these side effects either. The er prescribed me valium and benadryl to reduce the side effects. I stayed up til 6am the next morning just to finally sleep after 4 valium for 3hrs! Im still not sleeping well and it's my second day off this. THis is the scariest worst experience of my life. Never again will I trust a psychiatrist to put me on meds again!

I was misdiagnosed also with bipolar II after being asked two or three questions and 5 minutes later, "I was bipolar". I said no I was not. I didn't run on days without sleep or be manic. I was either normal or depressed. The doctor dismissed my words and put me on geodon. Over the past 19 months it has driven me crazy while throughout that time he upped it from 20 mg to 160 mg. I weaned myself off to 80mg but couldn't do the rest so I admitted myself into a detox unit where a pshychiatrist weaned me off of it in a week. He toook two hours to talk to me and said I was NOT bipolar but had GAD and recurrent depressive diorder and that if you are not bipolar and are put on a bipolar medicine it will drive you insane. And it did. I am going to sue my Dr. or Geodon. This medicine should be banned from the world. No one told me it would be virtually impossible to withdrawal from and also the side effects. I am two days off of it and do not feel suicidal everyday like I did when I was on it. I am not letting my dr. or geodon get saway with this. It almost ended my life!

#20 Guest_tonya_*

Guest_tonya_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:46 PM

Quitting geodon cold turkey.I quit cold turkey at 60 mlgs at bedtime.I felt mild nausea for two days and fine the week following.Afraid of going into mania again.I hav.e only gone into mania once in my life and do not wish to go there again.I went back on geodon at 20mlgs at bedtime.I feel much better than I did on 60.I have had no mood swings.I never suffered from them before medication.Yet on a higher dose of geodon I became much easier to irritate.I think that every person is different.For me quitting cold turkey was easy.Good luck to the rest trying to quit.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.