• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 hopelessromantic

hopelessromantic

Unstable Mabel

• Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:04 AM

Does anyone out there take Xanax to help them sleep? It's for my general anxiety but it's the only thing that keeps me from waking up in the middle of the night and losing 60-90 minutes each night. I'm taking 3 pills, a total of 1.5 mg weekday nights- with me being 114 lbs (small frame) is that too much? I usually only take the Xanax 1/2 a pill or maybe 1 pill on average twice a month - but since the sleep issue I need 3 nightly for rest.....any advice?
Got: BPADII, Anxiety, Insomnia, DID, Personality Disorders
Tried: Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Buspar, Zoloft, Xanax, Paxil, Seroquel, Lunesta, Ambien
Currently: 1/2 to 1 Unisom nightly to sleep, if that doesnt work then 1/2 to 1 Xanax or Ambien

#2 Unregistered

Unregistered

Shouting at the monkeys in the next tree

• Pip
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:15 PM

Does anyone out there take Xanax to help them sleep? It's for my general anxiety but it's the only thing that keeps me from waking up in the middle of the night and losing 60-90 minutes each night. I'm taking 3 pills, a total of 1.5 mg weekday nights- with me being 114 lbs (small frame) is that too much? I usually only take the Xanax 1/2 a pill or maybe 1 pill on average twice a month - but since the sleep issue I need 3 nightly for rest.....any advice?

Interesting. I quit my meds a while back and my sleep is shot to shit. I also have tried popping the odd Xanax to send me back to sleep when I wake up in the middle of the night, so I'm interested to see what others have to say on this.
Officially no longer Mixed Bipolar NOS. However, I do still have AP/D, and Alice In Wonderland Syndrome (OK, OK, so it's migraine without the headache, and really rather funky). Oh and I also have synesthesia. And most likely Alexithymia, but that's another story.

[link=http://alexithymiadepot.blogspot.com/" target="_blank]Alexithymia![/link]

Rx: Surmontil 50mg (terminal insomnia)
Previous Rx's: Lamictal 200mg, Zyprexa 10mg, Xanax .25mg prn, Elavil 50mg, Imovane 5mg, Prozac 20mg, Cipramil 10mg, Cipramil 20mg, Cipralex 10mg, Cipralex 5mg (not all at the same time, obviously).

Posted Image

#3 Phoenix_Rising

Phoenix_Rising

Medicated for your safety

• Inmate
  • 3491 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 02:08 AM

I took Xanax for many years but I've always gotten the impression that my docs, if I had trouble sleeping, would have offered something else other than xanax. (I am fortunate beyond belief to not have difficulty sleeping most of the time *knocks on wood*).

My mom, who has BPII and terrible insomnia, has been offered seroquel, trazadone and "conventional" sleeping pills (like ambien) by our doc (we share ;) ). She has taken additional benzos for when nothing else was helping, but our doc seems to prefer other methods. (As do other docs my mom has seen).

I'd give your doc a call.

I hope you find something that works for you.

Peace,
Phoenix

Current Dx: BPII, GAD, OCD and PTSD

Other crap: sleep apnea and diabetes type II

Rx: Prozac 20 mg; Zyprexa 15 mg; Gabapentin 1200 mg; Adderall 60 mg;  Klonopin 2 mg and prn; Lithium 900 mg; Meformin 2000 mg; Metropolol 200 mg; Premarin .625 mg  Insulin 19 mg

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me? Crazy?  I should get down off this unicorn and slap you.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I am not a mental health care professional, please seek out a professional's advice.

#4 Somehow this hell is home

Somehow this hell is home

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:14 AM

I don't know about the dosage, but before I started on seroquil, I would pop the occasional Xanax to relax me enough to FALL asleep. They didn't make me tired, but they relaxed me. I know my grandfather takes Klonopin to sleep since it lasts longer. From what I understand from my pdoc, Xanex lasts 4-6 hours while Klonopin lasts 10-12 hours with essentially the same ingredients (both being Benzos). Most docs don't like to give Benzos to sleep though since they can be addicting. For me personally, neither Klonopin or Xanax make me tired...which is good in my case, I take Klonopin in the morning for anxiety and it lasts all day.

I would just talk to you doc....it is, of course like all psychopharmacology, trial and error, to find what works for you.
Good luck.

*I want to be remembered as the girl who always smiles even when her heart is broken and the one that could brighten up your day even if she couldn't brighten up her own*

-Stop using Jesus as an excuse for being a narrow minded bigot.
-Music was her life, the lyrics were her story.
-Be careful what you say, it may remind me of a song that needs to be sung.
-Why do people with closed minds always open their mouths?
-Music - what feelings sound like
-No one understands me and they never will
-Why do we kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong?
-Laughter: When a smile has an orgasm
-I'm not so good at the advice; can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?

dx: Anxiety Disorder, NOS; Major Depressive Disorder, BPII, and Migraines
rx: Venlafaxine 37.5mg, Lamotrigine 300mg, Seroquil 300mg, Clonazepam 1mg, Propranolol 80mg (and Hydroxyzine and Xanex when I feel like it)

past rx: is there anything I haven't been on? .Seriously.

#5 hollywoodfreaks

hollywoodfreaks

• Pip
  • 837 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:45 PM

What other sleep-enhancing meds have you tried? Ambien, Lunesta, trazodone, Seroquel? Maybe try some of those first. But if they don't work then I see no problem with taking benzos. If it's the only thing that works to get a good night of sleep, then it's probably worth it.

I also cannot sleep without sleeping meds. It just won't happen. I try to knock myself out with trazodone (which for me usually works pretty well as far as going to sleep and staying asleep) and if I wake up in the middle of the night and just can't go back to sleep, I'll occasionally take a very small dose of Xanax which usually succeeds in getting me to fall back asleep.
dx: Major depression Current rx: Wellbutrin XL 300 mg, Cymbalta 60mg, Xanax XR .5mg. Just started Ritalin 5mg 2x daily, tapering off of 200mg Lamictal. For sleep: trazodone. Past rx: Lexapro, Zoloft, Cytomel.

#6 AnneMarie

AnneMarie

• Pip
  • 4644 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:54 AM

It's generally better to treat the reason that you are having sleep problems. You didn't say what meds you are taking, but have you told your doc about your sleep patterns and asked that a primary med be adjusted up to deal with it? You may have some hypomania, not insomnia, going on.

The problem with benzos is that sedation is a side effect that often wears off. You then find yourself taking more to get the same effect. That is one of the reasons why they are addictive.

There are a lot of other sleep meds to try before using benzos, IMO. I still stick with treating the cause. It helps keep me more stable and it is what has worked best for me, and I've been thru a number of sleep meds.

Edited by Stacia, 29 October 2008 - 06:56 AM.

Bipolar I and ADD

#7 Thomas

Thomas

• Pip
  • 2051 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:55 AM

Restoril works well for me at least six of seven days per week.

Tommy
Dx:BP1, OCD, Diabetetes Type 2, Hypertension, Gastroparesis & kidney stones
Rx: Abilify 20 mg., Klonopin 6.0 mg., Restoril 30 mg. Cymbalta 120 mg. , Lamictal 400 mg., Cogentin 1.5 mg. Crestor 10 mg. hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg., Hyzaar 100/25 mg., domperidone 20 mg. and Levemir Insulin 40 units, Actos 45 mg.,Proprananol ER 80 mg., Hydrocodone/APAP 40 mg./4000 mg., tizanidine 1 mg., Fiorocet 3 mg.

#8 rayray1

rayray1

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:25 AM

I've found that Xanex doesn't make me sleep, it actually keeps me awake. My dr. switched me to xanex (1.5mg) from Klonopin because Klonopin no longer helped w/ my anxiety at all. He suggested taking it at bedtime but I switched it to the morning because I would lay awake for hours after taking it.

Oddly enough, considering they are both benzo's, the klonopin, when it was helping with anxiety, did make me sleepy.

Has anybody else experienced sleeplessness with xanex?
ADD
30mg adderall (15 morning/15 @lunch)

Acute Anxiety Disorder
1.5 mg Xanex daily

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:21 PM

I take temazepam for sleep; probably 30mg once to twice every two weeks. It works pretty good. It's probably the most addictive benzodiazepine, and it's not good to take more than 2-3 times per week if taken long term IMO.

#10 Deepster

Deepster

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:10 PM

Timely topic! I have taken klonopin for years with no probs, and even used it to sleep when necessary. However, since starting Pristiq about 3 months ago my sleep(or lack of) has gone to hell in a handbasket. Today I had a pdoc appointment and I explained to her what was going on with my sleep patterns and that the normal amount of benzos I took as a sleep aid were no longer working. She suggested trazodone and Ambien, and immediately printed me out a scrip for both. I didn't even have to ask. She just did it and said it was OK to take them nightly if necessary(not necessarily together), but that I could alternate them and take nightly or as needed. No further questions asked. What I really realized is that she really didn't want me dickering with upping my benzo dosage to compensate for that fact that what I'd been taking for sleep was no longer effective. She just simply said that if my current dosage was still working for anxiety during the day, keep it at that.

This was really her way of saying "your current dosage for benzos is fine. Let's use something else for sleep". In other words she does not want me to get into an upward spiral on the benzos. I can live with that. I've been taking 1mg or less of klonopin daily for about 8 years.

Deepster

#11 jessabella

jessabella

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:20 PM

hope I'm not repeating because there was a lot ehre to read. 1.5 mg is not terrible a lot. But I think that klonopin or valuim might be a better choice for sleep issue in the benzo family. ask your doc about it:0)

Timely topic! I have taken klonopin for years with no probs, and even used it to sleep when necessary. However, since starting Pristiq about 3 months ago my sleep(or lack of) has gone to hell in a handbasket. Today I had a pdoc appointment and I explained to her what was going on with my sleep patterns and that the normal amount of benzos I took as a sleep aid were no longer working. She suggested trazodone and Ambien, and immediately printed me out a scrip for both. I didn't even have to ask. She just did it and said it was OK to take them nightly if necessary(not necessarily together), but that I could alternate them and take nightly or as needed. No further questions asked. What I really realized is that she really didn't want me dickering with upping my benzo dosage to compensate for that fact that what I'd been taking for sleep was no longer effective. She just simply said that if my current dosage was still working for anxiety during the day, keep it at that.

This was really her way of saying "your current dosage for benzos is fine. Let's use something else for sleep". In other words she does not want me to get into an upward spiral on the benzos. I can live with that. I've been taking 1mg or less of klonopin daily for about 8 years.

Deepster

Jessa boo who has GAD and panic disorder too. ocd to mix it up.
I take lexapro 30mg and am currently trying some different benzos to help me be more who i wnat and need to be!
A taoist saying I try and live by

"we must become the change we seek"

#12 Guest_Casey_*

Guest_Casey_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:54 PM

I'm on xanax (or the generic alprazolam as its called). I've had sleep anxiety for 6 years. At times it'll go away, at times it'll stick with you for a while. Now I don't that much dosage...maybe .25 to .50 mgs a night. That works fine for me. When I'm sleeping well, I won't need any at all. It kinda goes in spells. I've been on a spell here lately that I've needed one nightly.

The worst feeling you can have is being uncomfortable when you go to sleep, because that uncomfortable memory will stick with you for awhile, even if you get a good night's sleep. You may get 8 hours of sleep, but those bad memories of uncomfortableness with linger with you.

A lot of it's just a head game. It can be tough, but realize that millions of people have it. You're not alone. They said that 40 million people at some point in their life get sleep anxiety.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.