• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 manny

manny

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:15 PM

Hey all,

I have been on klonpin for a year and a half now and it does not seem to be doing the job anymore. I am interested in Valium because it works all day too. I meet with a Dr. on Monday and am wondering how I go about getting valium (if he will even give it to me) I am hoping to get a referral for a Pdoc as well. I just moved and that has caused a lot of problems.

Thanks
dx: Major Depression/ Panic Dis
rx: Lexapro 30mg, Klonopin 3.5 mg daily & PRN, Xanax .5mg PRN, Geodon 60 mg.

#2 bluelikejazz

bluelikejazz

• Inmate
  • 2576 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:04 PM

if you can find a way let me know!

PMDD, PTSD and MDD.

rx: Amitryptaline 125mg Seroquel XR 100mg, Lithium 750mg.

I'm not a mental health professional but I am a pretty awesome amateur (talk to an actual pro rather than taking my advice)

#3 Ophelia

Ophelia

I bitch, therefore I am...

• Pip
  • 3287 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:05 PM

Hey all,

I have been on klonpin for a year and a half now and it does not seem to be doing the job anymore. I am interested in Valium because it works all day too. I meet with a Dr. on Monday and am wondering how I go about getting valium (if he will even give it to me) I am hoping to get a referral for a Pdoc as well. I just moved and that has caused a lot of problems.

Thanks

I don't know if there is something I'm missing here...

Why can't you just tell your doctor that the klonopin isn't working for you and because of this, you would like to try a different med?

"Instant gratification takes too long." ~Carrie Fisher

"You're wrong! I do have feelings. I'm an actress! I have all of them." ~Elise Elliot (Goldie Hawn), 'The First Wives Club'

"The defects and faults of the mind are like wounds in the body. After all imaginable care has been taken to heal them up, still there will be a scar left behind." ~Francois de la Rochefoucauld

"It has been said that time heals all wounds. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens, but it is never gone." ~Rose Kennedy

#4 Ophelia

Ophelia

• Pip
  • 3287 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:11 PM

Keep in mind that I said to discuss it with the doctor. If it is agreed upon that klonopin is not the best option as a way of treatment anymore, you guys will explore other options. This might not include valium.

So, people, no... we are not trying to find ways to score drugs we do not need and/or are excessive in regard to our treatment. If you don't need valium, a good doctor won't give it to you. Our goals are to get better, not get high.

"You're wrong! I do have feelings. I'm an actress! I have all of them." ~Elise Elliot (Goldie Hawn), 'The First Wives Club'

"The defects and faults of the mind are like wounds in the body. After all imaginable care has been taken to heal them up, still there will be a scar left behind." ~Francois de la Rochefoucauld

"It has been said that time heals all wounds. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens, but it is never gone." ~Rose Kennedy

#5 bluelikejazz

bluelikejazz

• Inmate
  • 2576 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:17 PM

ha just clarifying for those who haven't seen my other posts, I meant if you can find a better way to convey to a doctor that you are in a lot of distress and really need valium, let me know. Nothing illegal kids!

PMDD, PTSD and MDD.

I'm not a mental health professional but I am a pretty awesome amateur (talk to an actual pro rather than taking my advice)

#6 manny

manny

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 02:06 AM

I don't mean to be illegal or anything, just looking for something that works. Sorry for any confusion. I am just a loser.

Edited by manny, 26 October 2008 - 02:06 AM.

dx: Major Depression/ Panic Dis
rx: Lexapro 30mg, Klonopin 3.5 mg daily & PRN, Xanax .5mg PRN, Geodon 60 mg.

#7 bluelikejazz

bluelikejazz

• Inmate
  • 2576 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:50 AM

We know, its ok. You are not a loser.
I'm sorry the Klonopin isn't working. I think a pdoc would be more willing to prescribe you valium than a normal doctor as they are more able to weigh up the benefits vs risk of dependence etc. I think a referral would be your best bet.

There may even be something different that would help more than valium, the pdoc would know.
Hope you can find something that gives you some relief.

PMDD, PTSD and MDD.

#8 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:01 AM

Here is a comparsion of potency (strength of action) vs. half life (length of action). Considerations your doctor will have include interaction with other meds you are taking, addiction potential of the benzo, and your experince with drugs/alcohol. a.m.

[quote] American Academy of Family Physicians:
TABLE 2
Potency and Half-Life of Various Benzodiazepines
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

High-potency benzodiazepines
Drugs with a short half-life
Alprazolam (Xanax)
Lorazepam (Ativan)
Triazolam (Halcion)
Drugs with a long half-life
Clonazepam (Klonopin)

Low-potency benzodiazepines
Drugs with a short half-life
Oxazepam (Serax)
Temazepam (Restoril)

Drugs with a long half-life
Chlordiazepoxide (Librium)
Clorazepate (Tranxene)
Diazepam (Valium)
Flurazepam (Dalmane)

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#9 Tom

Tom

I may not look like it, but I am not stable

• Pip
  • 717 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:22 PM

What do you mean by it's not doing the job anymore? Did it used to work? I take a big dose of clonazepam and I don't "feel" it working. But I haven't really had a major freakout in a while so it's doing something. I'm still quite anxious on it.

Diazepam is a lot weaker dosage wise than clonazepam. So you'll need 40mg of Valium for 2mg of Klonopin. Some people claim that all benzos work the same. I don't want to believe that. It's worth trying a different one or a higher dose. I'm also considering trying Valium because Klonopin doesn't "seem" to do anything. But geez, 6mg of klono = 120mg of val. That's a lot of pills to swallow.

BTW, here in Canada family doctors will not prescribe you benzos. Only psychiatrists will. My family doctor knows what meds I take so I do get refills from him. Or sometimes I call my psychiatrist for refills if I don't feel like going to the clinic. Oops, off topic.

-Tom
dx: anxiety and depression
current meds: Invega 3mg, Clonazepam 6mg, Inderal 40mg, Cipralex 20mg
previous meds: Paxil (did nothing except i wasn't able to achieve the big O), Zyban, Effexor, Celexa, Remeron, Xanax, Ativan, Neurontin, Zoloft (useless), Wellbutrin XL (a joke), Buspar (made me suicidal), Moclobemide (made anxiety worse), Nardil (crapshot. Didn't do anything good and made me faint from low BP), Zyprexa, Seroquel (nope, no sedation), Atenolol (didn't stop the shakes), Imipramine, Doxepin, Risperdal, Lamictal (made anxiety bad), Cymbalta (fail), Lyrica

Listen to my music! Some sad :( some happy :) some neutral :| Click here

#10 Guest_me_*

Guest_me_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:35 PM

Keep in mind that I said to discuss it with the doctor. If it is agreed upon that klonopin is not the best option as a way of treatment anymore, you guys will explore other options. This might not include valium.

So, people, no... we are not trying to find ways to score drugs we do not need and/or are excessive in regard to our treatment. If you don't need valium, a good doctor won't give it to you. Our goals are to get better, not get high.

actually....my goal is completely and totally to get high.

#11 Ophelia

Ophelia

• Pip
  • 3287 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:03 PM

Wow. Aren't you just so damn cool...

Thanks for your extremely valuable comment, Guest.

#12 Silver

Silver

Adopt, adapt, improve.

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:57 PM

Does anyone else want to chew on guest? I just don't fucking care right now. Thanks.
Bipolar I, other stuff

"Science adjusts its beliefs based on what�s observed
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved."
--Tim Minchin

#13 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 12794 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:17 PM

if that's your your goal, you'd be better off smoking nutmeg

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#14 bluelikejazz

bluelikejazz

• Inmate
  • 2576 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:12 AM

um...yeah not cool. We don't appreciate that crap here. There's plenty of other forums that will stroke your ego, go find them. When you eventually realise that your incredibly idiotic choices (perhaps driven by actual desperation) have majorly screwed up your brain and your life in general, and are seeking legitimate help, we will be happy to chat to you.

Please don't post until then. The 30 seconds I spent reading and replying to your post are lost forever.

Edited by bluelikejazz, 21 November 2008 - 02:12 AM.

PMDD, PTSD and MDD.

#15 Amy10

Amy10

• Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:00 AM

I would try and find an alternative unless you really can do it prn (but then I KNOW how essential it can be when nothing else works! ;) ). It just stops working like all the others otherwise. And kills depth of good as well as bad emotions. I.e. deadened.

Saying that, since Valium is commonly used to withdraw from the higher potency, shorter half life benzos, I would be surprised if they wouldn't give it to you since it is less 'addictive' as a result. See www.benzo.org.uk for more info.

I take Valium prn (2mg every other day unless i am reaaaaally freaking out in which case i'll neck 6/8mg) and my GP has given it to me on repeat prescription but they can monitor how often I order it via a warning sign on the computer (of course!). I am in the UK though. My psych says hmmm, i would rather you took it max once or twice a week. I don't like taking it even though it chills me out, as it is a depressant in the true sense of the word. I want to get off it as I have been on it for 11 months now but i know it can be such a life saver. However, I do wish I'd found an alternative before I started on it that didn't get me into such a 'between a rock and a hard place' situation. So many of us are in the latter category, I fear !

I really hope you find an alternative and/or a sympathetic doc who can find one for you. Hope the above is helpful as my mind is clouded and not too objective right now!

Best of luck!
Dx: Bipolar I

Treatment :
Lamotrigine 125mg, L-Tryptophan prn, Risperidone prn, psychotherapy, mindfulness.

I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to

be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles. (Audrey Hepburn)

#16 blackbird

blackbird

For all that I found there...

• Pip
  • 1198 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:12 AM

benzos don't get you high, they slow you down. The reason Im on 2 different benzos at high doses is because my mind gets crazy psychotic and I think my head is going to explode (literally, like Scanners). The benzos are the only thing that nips my psychosis in the bud before I become a gibbering wreck.
I STAND ALONE

DX: Schizoaffective (bipolar type - ultra rapid cycling with major paranoid refractory psychosis), Borderline Personality Disorder, OCD, Anorexia Nervosa, Alcohol Dependence (in recovery 26/12/09)

RX: 50mg Risperdal Consta Injection x once per fortnight (equivalent to 6mg a day), 600mg Lithium, 60mgs Prozac, 5mgs Diazepam x 3 a day, 7.5mg Zopiclone

"For years one has to put up with the feeling that people do not care, really care, about one; then one day with growing alarm, one realises that it is God who does not care: and merely that he does not care, he does not care one way or the other"

Lawrence Durrell, "The Alexandria Quartet"

Driven to distraction by the utter lack of tenderness in this world

#17 resonance

resonance

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 2834 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:02 AM

I believe benzos make some people high but not others. In the right dose they slow me down and even me out, and in too high a dose they make me drugged out and uncoordinated, so I can't say they've ever made me high. I've had pdocs ask me if they do though.

#18 mel1

mel1

mel1

• Pip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:57 AM

I've been taking clonapin for about 4 yrs. and just recently (after 4 yrs.) went from .5/TID to .5/BID. I didn't notice any bad effects. Now my goal is to go down another .25 in the next month and eventually get off except maybe prn. Why? Because Benzos make you like a pothead. Without getting high. Long-term use of benzos is apparently bad, because it does some significant damage to your brain. Just found that out. Hmmm....
"I cannot do everything, but I can do something."-Helen Keller
My ADHD mantra.

current dx: Bipolar 2, GAD s/ Panic Disorder, dysthymia, MDD, ADHD
current rx: seroqel- 100 mg-50 am and 50 at bedtime; Lamictal-100-am, 200-pm; Klonopin-.5-TID

#19 lysergia

lysergia

ripping off the bootstraps

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3214 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:01 AM

Because Benzos make you like a pothead. Without getting high.

yes yes.

keep it up, and you'll look and sound just like a pothead, no kidding. droopy lids and stupidass slowed speech and everything. i have a lot of those in my life (potheads). i love them all dearly, but knowing i looked/sounded like that on a good sized-dose of benzos was enough to make me want to get off them for good. (not that i've been able to. but at least now i'm back to prns).

i totally get wanting to get high but... just don't think because it comes in a prescription form it isn't as stupid. it's worse. having had to quit illegal shit, alcohol, and benzos at different points in my life.... the benzos were the biggest bitch of all.

just be careful, guest.

current dx:

BPI/II (depending on whom you ask), DDNOS, ED issues (recovered anorexic), major anxiety issues, PTSD issues (now subclinical), hallucinations NOS.
current rx:

wellbutrin 300 mg, clonazepam 1.5 mg, seroquel 50 mg, synthroid 0.1625 mg, vitamins D3, B12, omega3.  PRNs - seroquel, ibuprofen, tylenol, nicotine, caffeine, chocolate
past rx:

lithium, lamotrigine, prozac, paxil, zoloft, effexor, citalopram, latuda, lyrica, imipramine, nortyrptaline, lorazepam, buspar, mirtazipine, risperdal, remeron, abilify, parnate, zyprexa, zopicolone, l-tryptophan, trazadone, melatonin, ECT, more stuff i can't remember

kittybuttxa3.jpg

#20 plusqueparfait

plusqueparfait

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:06 PM

I hope your doc will be understanding. I had the same problem as Klonopin didn't work for me. Although I had to go to a Pdoc to get anything different all I did was suggest I try Xanax and he agreed. If you are already being prescribed a benzo there isn't any real reason why you won't be able to be prescribed another one unless your doc isn't authorised to prescribe it, or doesn't ever use that drug with their patients.
Good luck!

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.