Prestiq Side Effects

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 tek110372

tek110372

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:33 AM

I have been on Prestiq for a little over one month. I am on it for anxiety/depression. I also have migraines so I am on Topamax and Relpax. I also cannot sleep so I am on Ambien CR.
Lately, I have had a rash on the top of my feel and around my ankles that itches like crazy... not all of the time, but occasionally.

My head is foggy. I am tired all of the time. I am usually in a good mood though, but I really question how I am going to make it through most days due to the fatigue. My heart pounds from time to time and am out of breath too. I have no sex drive.

I like NOT being depressed, so I am hoping these side effects go away within the next two weeks. Has anyone else had success with that?

#2 Guest_clifford_*

Guest_clifford_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:41 AM

I have been on Prestiq for a little over one month. I am on it for anxiety/depression. I also have migraines so I am on Topamax and Relpax. I also cannot sleep so I am on Ambien CR.
Lately, I have had a rash on the top of my feel and around my ankles that itches like crazy... not all of the time, but occasionally.

My head is foggy. I am tired all of the time. I am usually in a good mood though, but I really question how I am going to make it through most days due to the fatigue. My heart pounds from time to time and am out of breath too. I have no sex drive.

I like NOT being depressed, so I am hoping these side effects go away within the next two weeks. Has anyone else had success with that?

I am having the exact same side effects. Today is day 8. Last night I had the most intense panic attack I have ever had. I am throwing in the towel on Pristiq. I thought it was supposed to help my anxiety. I know this stuff takes time, but it should not be doing this. and the fact that you are still experiencing it after a month tells me even more that this drug is NOT for anxiety.

#3 BlueEyes

BlueEyes

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:06 PM

I recommend you read through this thread (and there are a few others if you search for "pristiq") to hear about others experiences with Pristiq.
Pristiq guinea pig

- Blue

"Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber."
-The Dude

dx: major depressive disorder
rx: pristiq 50mg. xanax for my freakouts

other junk:
daily - gigantic multi vitamins, 1200mg omega 3-6-9, chromium picolinate 200mcg
I'm feelin' good!

#4 unwell

unwell

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:19 AM

I regret changing Pristiq to Wellbutrin. I was really feeling much better with Pristiq, but hated the sexual side effects. When I see the pdoc in November I am going to ask to just be on Pristiq. I didn't have any rash side effects, just a really bad head ache in the back of my head for the first few days after starting it.
When do you take your Pristiq? I was told it may give you some energy so you should take it in the morning, so you don't have problems getting to sleep and then feel tired.
I'm not crazy. I'm just a little unwell.

#5 Guest_clifford_*

Guest_clifford_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:45 AM

I regret changing Pristiq to Wellbutrin. I was really feeling much better with Pristiq, but hated the sexual side effects. When I see the pdoc in November I am going to ask to just be on Pristiq. I didn't have any rash side effects, just a really bad head ache in the back of my head for the first few days after starting it.
When do you take your Pristiq? I was told it may give you some energy so you should take it in the morning, so you don't have problems getting to sleep and then feel tired.

Well I decided to stick it out and give it another week. I take it in the morning. It has a big time stimulant effect on me. Gives me loads of energy and kills my appetite. I like those 2 side effects, especially since I am 30 pounds overweight. My big issue now is sleeping. Please will someone chime in and tell me that the Insomnia goes away after the startup period. I don't want to be an ambian addict. I tried sleeping without the ambian last night...fell asleep only to wake up 3 hours later wired out of my head and never went back to sleep. I don't like being on any meds to begin with and it is hard for me to accept even taking the pristiq, but I think it is better than the alternative of not taking it. Something I have noticed...I take it around 6:30 am and by the time I go to bed around 10pm it feels like the med has "worn" and I am going through some sort of withdrawel. Feel really weird. The other day I took it at noon and noticed that I felt a little better when I turned in for bed. Anyone experience this? I really am concerned about the insomnia. Thinking of possibly going to SSRI instead of SNRI.

#6 BlueEyes

BlueEyes

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:53 AM

Well I decided to stick it out and give it another week. I take it in the morning. It has a big time stimulant effect on me. Gives me loads of energy and kills my appetite. I like those 2 side effects, especially since I am 30 pounds overweight. My big issue now is sleeping. Please will someone chime in and tell me that the Insomnia goes away after the startup period. I don't want to be an ambian addict. I tried sleeping without the ambian last night...fell asleep only to wake up 3 hours later wired out of my head and never went back to sleep. I don't like being on any meds to begin with and it is hard for me to accept even taking the pristiq, but I think it is better than the alternative of not taking it. Something I have noticed...I take it around 6:30 am and by the time I go to bed around 10pm it feels like the med has "worn" and I am going through some sort of withdrawel. Feel really weird. The other day I took it at noon and noticed that I felt a little better when I turned in for bed. Anyone experience this? I really am concerned about the insomnia. Thinking of possibly going to SSRI instead of SNRI.

The insomnia does go away. For me, it lasted about a week. It was truly the most awful week because I felt like a zombie every day, but once I got through that, things improved a ton. Just be aware that in the first 6 to 8 weeks, you may have a few great days, than a depressed day. That seems to be a common thing that many of us experienced, so don't be discouraged. If you can stick with it for the first 6 to 8 weeks, then you will see the full effects and will be able to tell if it is a good med for you.

"Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber."
-The Dude

dx: major depressive disorder
rx: pristiq 50mg. xanax for my freakouts

other junk:
daily - gigantic multi vitamins, 1200mg omega 3-6-9, chromium picolinate 200mcg
I'm feelin' good!

#7 Guest_clifford_*

Guest_clifford_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:08 PM

Thanks Blue eyes, I made it 11 days and decided to stop. I just couldnt take it anymore. I don't want to discourage anyone here to stop since I am a wimp when it comes to side effects and there are true benefits for some on this drug. I just did not feel right for me. I just stopped cold turkey and really did not feel ANY withdrawal symptoms, probably cause I was not on it long enough. Anyway over the weekend and today I have felt great. A little quick tempered, but that is me. I am going back to the doc and asking for Xanax or Klonipin to only use when I experience a panic attack. For my situation that is might be better than permanent medication. We shall see. good luck to all.

#8 squirrellover

squirrellover

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:22 PM

I regret changing Pristiq to Wellbutrin. I was really feeling much better with Pristiq, but hated the sexual side effects.

By sexual side affects do you mean anorgasm or lack of sex drive. If so, I read a thread on her somewhere about a topical cream or even a pill that has testosterone in it that helps even out the depletion of testosterone caused by SNRIs. Maybe this could help.
dx: Bipolar and depression
rx: risperdal geodon
depakote zoloft cytomel vyvanse
lexapro lamictal pristiq

#9 Guest_Kailey_*

Guest_Kailey_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:38 PM

in response: i swear these side affects are from the topomax!!! i used to take it for migranes also and as soon as i've been off it i've felt 20x better!!

#10 JessBNY

JessBNY

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:12 PM

Pdoc prescribed pristiq for depression and anxiety; first AD ever. I would like to share that I tried it yesterday and was an unfortunate case of adverse reaction. Woke up this morning 5am to have a glass of water and blood pressure went awry (extremely hot, ringing ears, then almost blacked out) luckily I was able to launch myself in a cold bath before my knees buckled below me. After words I experienced chills that are synonymous with change in body temp. When I spoke to my doctor about this reaction, he referred to it as a "princess and the pea" kind of thing-that some people are particularly sensitive to these meds and blood pressure is a factor. Otherwise I can report similar side affects as all of you folks. Prior to the episode: Foggy head (blatant rise and fall head stimulation, like I was on an amphetamine); dry mouth; tightened stomach , though somehow I was able to choke down a bowl of chex mix cereal late last night with virtually no appetite; oh! and one hell of a tight jaw. Also some flinching while I was conscious in bed, like a subtle spasm in my arm. Also a vivid dream of nearly hitting a dog with my car early this morning-so much that I woke up screaming outloud, sitting up straight, right before I almost squashed the poor little bug-eyed Dalmatian. Very visceral indeed. One thing I will say, slept decent. By the end of last night I think my brain was zonked from the constant ebb and flow of this med, so I dozed off with little effort. I was feeling quite mellowed out today, social interactions which are otherwise unbearable (I save face, but a lot of introverted suffering and cynicism goings on to say the least) were totally doable:anxiety gone.

Don't know if being doubled over with low blood pressure is worth it, or pragmatic considering my dysthymia is manageable. So I'm done with pristiq. Pdoc is prescribing some low dose xanax as needed for particularly hairy anxiety which is good because I think the anxiety, to be honest, is inciting the depression. Thought I would contribute, good luck to you all who are experiencing depressive episodes-and I commend everyone on your brave efforts to take care of yourselves even when things begin to feel hopeless.

Edited by JessBNY, 14 July 2009 - 08:20 PM.

#11 Guest_Lynn_*

Guest_Lynn_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:17 AM

just started taking pristiq was on effexor 75 mg for years, i do like the new medicine the only thing is bad headaches, this is my 13 day any replies thanks

#12 Guest_hugh bumpkins_*

Guest_hugh bumpkins_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:28 PM

I have been taking Prestiq for 9 days and have started having bad headaches. I hope it goes away soon.

#13 Guest_Roberta_*

Guest_Roberta_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:02 PM

I have been taking Prestiq for the past 2 weeks. Today at work I got very light headed,started seeing "spots" and my blood pressure went high. By the time I got to the hospital my face was beet red as well as my ears,neck,throat. I met my doctor there who believes I am suffering from a severe side effect from Prestiq. She told me that it takes just about the time I was taking it for the med to "work". I ended up having a full blown anxiety attack because I was scared of what was happening to me. This is my own expierience but I don't recommend this med. See what others go through before you decide. As for me I don't want a med that makes me feel like I'm near death.

#14 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:45 PM

I was on Pristiq for 10 months. I live in a state with a well know University's Psychiatry dept and have been working with them now for 5 months to get my moods stabilized and are just now working on switching me to a new anti-depressant. I'm not sure which one yet. I have been on so many and am very sensitive to many medications. Pristiq was one where I didn't have any side effects, not even the sexual decrease and I actually lost weight but unfortunately it didn't work for the mental disorder highs and lows or depression. I was on Effexor the longest, it worked the best, but it also had side effects such as night sweats that left me sick all winter long, sexual side effects, weight gain, along with others. Topamax has helped wonders with the highs. Now I need something to help with the depression part. Just remember what works well for one person, may not work well for another. You have to give it a try and find what works for you!

#15 Guest_Danielle_*

Guest_Danielle_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:50 PM

I was taking Lexapro for about 6 months to reduce generalized anxiety, which for the most part was effective with the exception that I gained 30 lbs. Because of the weight gain I was placed on Prestiq. I have been taking it for 5 weeks now, I haven't experienced any side effects with the exception that if I miss a dose I become extremely dizzy. Other than that, I have plenty of energy throughout the day and I have been sleeping better than I have in more than a year. I take one 50mg at bedtime.

#16 Guest_Karem_*

Guest_Karem_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:08 PM

So I ask how has anyone gotten off of prestiq? amd please describe your experience!\

#17 Guest_Lisa_*

Guest_Lisa_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

I know this is an old post, but I have had issues with insomnia as well. I couldnt sleep even with the Elavil I took as a sleep aid. It does eventually fade away as your body adjusts to the medication. I just wanted to say that for people who are starting Pristiq for the first time ;) It took me about a month, but even with not sleeping I had loads of energy the next day.

#18 Guest_me1an1e_*

Guest_me1an1e_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:15 PM

#19 Guest_me1an1e_*

Guest_me1an1e_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:19 PM

my daughter has had a problem with horrible migraines, a doctor put her on topomax - omg.. it has side effects like insomnia.. depression.. food tastes bad so you don't eat.. anxiety.. panic attacks - she stuck to it for almost 3 months trying to get to the ultimate dosage they wanted her at,she made it half way and we switched docs. The new doc weaned her off of it and put her on prestiq & vitamin b2 - with the ultimate goal of just the vitamin Her headaches are not gone but they're largely manageable and she can ward them off. She can eat.. sleep.. depression is gone. I am not a doctor, just a mom, but as a mom, I hate topamax and would seriously suggest you read up on it and it's side effects. Best of luck to you.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.