42 replies to this topic

#1 Pamito

Pamito

Happy on my meds :)

• Pip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:44 PM

Hey guys,

I am about to switch to seroquel XR from the regular. It is being released tomorrow in Australia for the first time.

Has anyone noticed any differences between the two - did you gain or lose some things when you made the switch to XR?

I myself am worried i won't sleep if the seroquel doesn't peak at bedtime.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Pamito ;)

DX'd Schizoaffective

Taking Seroquel 1000mg, Remeron, and Effexor. 

#2 Guest_john jack_*

Guest_john jack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:40 PM

Yes, I have changed, the first day the effect of the med is increased. One week on, I take the med at 9.30pm and go to bed at 10.30 / 11pm. The restless feeling some people get with the regular Seroquel has gone. I feel that the XR version is more effective but does require the usual time for the body to adjust to the change in medication level.

#3 Pamito

Pamito

Happy on my meds :)

• Pip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:45 PM

Thankyou for your reply - I am glad someone replied! It didn't agree with me at all, but I am glad it worked for you. ;)

DX'd Schizoaffective

Taking Seroquel 1000mg, Remeron, and Effexor. 

#4 Amy10

Amy10

• Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:30 AM

Hi!
I am about to start the XR version. Not entirely happy with the normal version but was hoping it was better for controlling mood swings during the day as I seem to be relying on Diazepam for this (albeit a tiny dose).
Any other experiences?
How did it affect you , Pamito? Do you have to titrate up as if you have started a new drug?
Thanks!
Dx: Bipolar I

Treatment :
Lamotrigine 125mg, L-Tryptophan prn, Risperidone prn, psychotherapy, mindfulness.

I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to

be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles. (Audrey Hepburn)

#5 CastorFache

CastorFache

Beaver, Angry

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:00 AM

Funny thing...I was on regular Seroquel for years without a problem. My doses went from 50 mg to 500 mg per day and everywhere in between without so much as a real hiccup and things seemed to move along smoothly.

Last fall, after a bit of a rough patch, my pdoc put me on the new Seroquel XR and things went all to hell. Within 48 hours of starting it I had two siezures (never happened before) and was unable to stand without assistance. The doctors thought I had a TIA at first and did not even think it could be the XR. For two more days I took it and suffered major dizzy spells and black outs.

The funny thing is that here in Canada there is no information about this sort of reaction on the drug information sheets or the books. I had to find the information on a US-based site to show my doctors that this was "rare" side effect/reaction. I found it really weird that I took Seroquel for years without a problem, yet the XR nearly killed me in a matter of days.

Oddly enough, I talked to a fellow patient a few weeks later who swears by XR and says it is the best thing that happened to her. She has lost weight and feels much better on this medication than on regular Seroquel.

Now my only problem is that my doctor does not want to give me regular Seroquel anymore either, feeling I may have developed an overall allergy. Time to find a new drug to calm me in those times of general wackiness.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"

-- Adam Savage

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

-- Douglas Adams

Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is time enough.

--George Bernard Shaw

Castor Fache is currently: BP II with SAD and perpetual crankiness.
Today's Drugs are: Lithium 900mg, Topamax 50mg (mostly for migraines) Lamictal 150mg, Invega 3mg

#6 Amy10

Amy10

• Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:46 PM

god, that sounds horrible!

I am on it now and the one thing I have to say that has made the best difference for me is that I don't get the tachycardia or oppressive feeling/restlessness within half an hour of taking it that i got with the regular one. That used to scare me as it had a semi-psychotic feel to it.
It's gone and it means a lot.

Treatment :
Lamotrigine 125mg, L-Tryptophan prn, Risperidone prn, psychotherapy, mindfulness.

I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to

be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles. (Audrey Hepburn)

#7 psychocandy

psychocandy

• Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:38 PM

Anyone know if its available in the UK yet?
Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh - Catatonia

#8 Amy10

Amy10

• Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:44 PM

Anyone know if its available in the UK yet?

Yes, it is! Since the end of last year , I believe.

Referred to as Seroquel MR by some (which means modified release - same thing, though).

Treatment :

#9 Guest_John Jacxk_*

Guest_John Jacxk_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:44 PM

I started with 150mg IR and 150mg XR, my previous dose was 300mg IR at night.
Then one month later, 200 XR and 100 IR at night.
Now I take 200 XR and 50 IR, the IR prepares me sleep.
The total lower dose seems more effective than the 300 IR.
The knock out effect has gone, now I feel like normal sleep at night.
The new XR Seroquel is very different to the IR version with no knock out at night.
It should have been released earlier.

#10 Generica

Generica

The generic one

• Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:50 AM

Wow, good to hear some at least are doing well with it. I asked my p-doc about it, just out of curiosity (after reading about it here actually LOL), and he laughed & said he did not know why the hell anyone would want the effects of Seroquel all day!

I thought that was funny, but I guess reading some of the feedback here he maybe hasn't done his research on it, which is a shame if it might help some of his patients.
DX: BP I - mixed. Psychotic depressive episodes, panic disorder, anxiety, PTSD. Insomnia is back & sending me more crazy.

#11 Guest__john jack__*

Guest__john jack__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:25 AM

Just a follow up. I am now on Seroquel XR 300mg at night after begin on Seroquel for 5 years.
The transfer to the XR version took about 6 months. A long and slow taper to the new version.
A sudden switch did not work for me, on my dose of 300mg at night.
Returning to normal sleep patterns takes time.
Mornings now are OK for me.

#12 durfeeh

durfeeh

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:42 AM

Hi!
I am about to start the XR version. Not entirely happy with the normal version but was hoping it was better for controlling mood swings during the day as I seem to be relying on Diazepam for this (albeit a tiny dose).
Any other experiences?
How did it affect you , Pamito? Do you have to titrate up as if you have started a new drug?
Thanks!

I HAVE BEEN ON REGULAR SEROQUEL FOR 5 WEEKS NOW AND I SLEEP FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME AND WHEN I WAKE UP I AM IMMEDIATLY PISSED OF OR MAJORLY FRAZZELED LIKE ONE OF THOSE HOW CAN YOU DO THIS TO ME FEELING. I HAVE HAD PAINS IN MY ABDOMIN AND PELVIC PAINS AND I NO LONGER HAVE MY UTERUS , CRAMP FEELINGS IN MY LEGS I BARELY EAT AND SWEAT 10 TIMES MORE THAN I DID, MY MANIC EPISODES ARE OFF THE WALL LIKE THE MEDS ARE NOT HELPING ME

#13 Guest_Kammy_*

Guest_Kammy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

I just wanted to responed with the experience I had with a loved one who took seroquel xr, 150mg per day. This loved one was put on this medication in attempt to control his manger management & VERY bad temper. He began taking it on a Wednesday, On Thursday his mood & temper was worse, by Sunday I left the house & refused to come back because it had gotten SO bad! I just want everyone to know not to give up hope. Not every medication is right for every person. Hang in there, I know from experience its HARD! I'm still going through it with this love one, & I pray to God that we get the medicaion that works VERY soon! Best of luck to everyone having to go through this, put your faith in God! Real quick, my mom always tells me "God never gives you more than you can handle". Its hard to believe at times, but once you accomplish whatever it is you need to accomplish, you look back & see that it is true! GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS ALL!

#14 Guest_michele0328_*

Guest_michele0328_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:54 PM

To be honest, I have found this medication to be a pill form of evil. It is one of many thrown at me and in my top two worst ever. This is the one that made me walk into a door and lose an entire day. This is also the one that left a friend of mine face down on a laundramat floor. Why she was at a laundramat, why she was at that one, how she'd gotten there, how she ended up on the floor and how long she'd been there? Not a clue. I have another friend paying $550/month to take regular seroquel rather than free samples of XR.

If it works for some people, great. But, in my opinion, it should be pulled from the market.

#15 Maddy

Maddy

Shadow of nothing

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3970 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:07 PM

I liked Seroquel XR more than Seroquel IR. XR didn't make me tired all day after I got through the first week.
I was on 300mg a day I think. I was able to take it all in the morning.
I was taking it for auditory and visual hallucinations. Along with Zyprexa.

YMMV.

I <3 my meds!
DX: undifferentiated schizophrenia
RX: Fanapt, Topamax, Ativan, Celexa

Past RX: Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, Remeron, Strattera, Trazodone, Lamictal, Neurontin, Depakote, Lithium, Vistaril, Buspar, Clonidine, Tegretol, Gabitril, Keppra, Depakene, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Haldol, Abilify, Saphris, Adderall, Valium, Primidone. I know there are others I've forgotten over the years.
Boards I mod: Schizophrenia & Various Psychoses, Hormone & Glandular Problems, any others as needed.

#16 Guest_Bossman09_*

Guest_Bossman09_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:44 PM

I'm on 400mg of XR. Had some side effects like cramps in my legs and a loss of appetite for a week or two. They all past.
I sleep normal hours and aren't tired through the day, although if I forget to take it at night I can't sleep and I'm wide awake, until I realise that I forgot to take my meds. I literally won't sleep a min until I take it but at least now I realise when I'm in bed and can't sleep, I know what's going on.

#17 Bribarian

Bribarian

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:22 PM

I tried XR but I didn't like it at all.

I felt a numbness on that medicine I've never felt before, even on the regular seroquel.
Panic Disorder/OCD/GAD/Recurrent Depression

Lexapro 20mg, Seroquel 50mg, Zyprexa 5mg, Ativan 1 mg PRN

#18 Guest_Tdy_*

Guest_Tdy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:47 PM

I'm on 400mg of XR. Had some side effects like cramps in my legs and a loss of appetite for a week or two. They all past.
I sleep normal hours and aren't tired through the day, although if I forget to take it at night I can't sleep and I'm wide awake, until I realise that I forgot to take my meds. I literally won't sleep a min until I take it but at least now I realise when I'm in bed and can't sleep, I know what's going on.

I just took the first pill of XR. Since my diagnosis is now clear I can get it for 100% discount (mental illnesses get 100% in Estonia), so a good thing to my family!!
Looking forward to compare the effects ;)

#19 theresa

theresa

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:24 AM

Hey guys,

I am about to switch to seroquel XR from the regular. It is being released tomorrow in Australia for the first time.

Has anyone noticed any differences between the two - did you gain or lose some things when you made the switch to XR?

I myself am worried i won't sleep if the seroquel doesn't peak at bedtime.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Pamito ;)

I take both. 900mg XR and 100mg regular up to three times a day prn.
The 100 mg starts working a lot faster and is very helpful with anxiety and the negative symptoms I have. It also helps with sleep, I often take 100mg of the regular at bedtime with the 900mg XR so I can get to sleep. I've had several episodes of psychosis where I remember nothing of it other than waking up on the psych unit. Since being on so much Seroquel I have not had to go to the hospital. But I did have to go to the crisis house for 10 day stays a number of times. So, it doesn't work as well as I wish it would but it does seem to keep me from getting so acutely psychotic.
Trazadone 150mg
Seroquel LA 900mg
Seroquel 100mg prn up to tid
Ativan 0.5mg up to tid
Cymbalta 60mg
Estradiol 4mg
Prometrium 400mg
Sulindac 200mg twice a day
others I cannot remember

#20 Guest_megan monninger_*

Guest_megan monninger_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:53 PM

To be honest, I have found this medication to be a pill form of evil. It is one of many thrown at me and in my top two worst ever. This is the one that made me walk into a door and lose an entire day. This is also the one that left a friend of mine face down on a laundramat floor. Why she was at a laundramat, why she was at that one, how she'd gotten there, how she ended up on the floor and how long she'd been there? Not a clue. I have another friend paying $550/month to take regular seroquel rather than free samples of XR.

If it works for some people, great. But, in my opinion, it should be pulled from the market.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.