klonopin, alcohol

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 buttface

buttface

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:15 PM

i'm taking 1mg klonopin twice daily for social anxiety. i know you shouldn't drink alcohol in excess with benzos, but i'm looking for anyone's personal experience with moderate drinking + klon. i feel better in public these days, but i'd like to go out a socialize and drink a pint or have a drink at a bar or a club... i wouldn't even have been able to visit those establishments before starting this drug.

i asked my psych about drinking + this drug and he said "wouldn't advise it, but it's up to you."

bracing myself for the "you should never, ever, ever drink while using benzos" comments. ;)

Edited by buttface, 01 December 2008 - 08:20 PM.

#2 celestia

celestia

• Pip
  • 3855 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:07 AM

bracing myself for the "you should never, ever, ever drink while using benzos" comments. ;)

You should never, ever drink while doing benzos.

Okay, I'm a smartass. But seriously? How much faster do you want to get better? If you are truly having the OCCASIONAL drink then you'll be fine. However, if you drink to get trashed even occassionally then you are going to fuck yourself up. Period. Been there, done that.
diagnoses: MDD/ADD/PTSD
Current meds: Wellbutrin 450/Lexapro 30

#3 sun_zoom_spark

sun_zoom_spark

• Pip
  • 609 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:40 AM

i'm taking 1mg klonopin twice daily for social anxiety. i know you shouldn't drink alcohol in excess with benzos, but i'm looking for anyone's personal experience with moderate drinking + klon. i feel better in public these days, but i'd like to go out a socialize and drink a pint or have a drink at a bar or a club... i wouldn't even have been able to visit those establishments before starting this drug.

i asked my psych about drinking + this drug and he said "wouldn't advise it, but it's up to you."

I've been taking 0.5 mgs. TID for 4 years and I have a drink almost every day and my doctor knows it.
Usually a beer or two or a glass of wine. Doc doesn't like me drinking the hard stuff.
I use to medicate with a lot of tequila so he doesn't want me to slip back into that habit.

As mentioned, it's a trust issue and an addiction issue between you and your doctor.
I've been taking benzos for a long time so I've developed a trust with my doc.

The 'no benzos with alcohol statement' is really a disclaimer.
Some people can't do it and for them this is sound advice.

Others can fudge, though I wouldn't suggest it.
Never know who you are dealing with.
And good God, man. Don't drive to a bar w/ clonazepam in your system.

SZS

Edited by sun_zoom_spark, 02 December 2008 - 02:43 AM.

DX: BPI mixed, PD

RX: Lithobid, Gabitril, Klonopin, Provigil, Omega 3

#4 goldfinch

goldfinch

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are. --Anais Nin

• Pip
  • 287 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:49 AM

I have a glass of wine almost every night and I take from .5 mg to 1 mg of klonopin before bed. Probably not a great idea, but I do it and I have not had any ill effects that I know of.

I never ever drink when I take xanax.

#5 buttface

buttface

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:46 PM

thanks for the responses.

If you are truly having the OCCASIONAL drink then you'll be fine. However, if you drink to get trashed even occassionally then you are going to fuck yourself up. Period. Been there, done that.

i used to get absolutely wasted to allay my anxiety. i don't know if that tendency won't crop up again. i guess i figured the med would 'cover' the anxiety, therefore i could drink like a normal person when i go out - i.e., just one or two drinks. now i realize that's stupid.

One drink once a month or so probably won't hurt you. However, you run the risk with any benzo of overdose because of the synergistic effect with alcohol. You will probably get a lot more drunk than you're expecting, so drink slowly and be mindful of how much the alcohol is affecting you. IMO if you decide to drink, you should at least have a really good idea of how klonopin affects you without alcohol--which means being on it for awhile. If you can't limit yourself to one drink through an evening just to be social, don't even try. It's just not a great idea.

An even better idea is to just get non-alcoholic drinks. Only your bartender will know. Honestly, I don't understand the need to drink when you're out socializing-- I've never had a problem with it-- and friends love the fact that I can be a designated driver. You don't have to be drunk to enjoy yourself.

this is good advice, thanks. i haven't been on klonopin for very long, so i do need to see how it affects me on its own... at some point in the future i might try experimenting with one beer while being mindful of how it affects me, as you said.

non-alcoholic drinks? well, that's no fun. haha, just kidding.

#6 lottacrazy

lottacrazy

Here but not really

• Pip
  • 571 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:53 PM

I dont think it is a good idea...my fiance is on it and on thanksgiving he had 3 beers and he acted like a retard (excuse the phrase) he was very strange...but funny. Benzos actually intensify the alcohol I have heard, so one beer may feel like 4 to you. If you are going to drink I would at least stay home and make sure you have some one monitoring you
DX: BP1, OCD, PTSD Possible ADD

Present RX: Paxil 15mg, Depakote 750mg, Ativan .5mg
Past RX: Paxil, Zoloft, Serzone, Depakote, Respirdol, Adivan

#7 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:19 PM

In theory, a single glass of wine or a beer with dinner at home probably won't cause a problem. It's just that it's very easy to slip up.

non-alcoholic drinks? well, that's no fun. haha, just kidding.

You're sober, your friends and compatriots are not. Connect the dots and hide the negatives. ;)

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#8 TCB

TCB

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:05 AM

I would suggest to drink in moderation because of the phenomenon of cross-tolerance which means if your using two or more depressant drugs (i.e. benzos and alcohol) you may develop tolerance for one of the drugs as well as partial tolerance to the other depressant drug. Which just means you might run the risk of needing more klonopin to do the job or more alcohol to feel anxiety-reducing effects.
Dx: Major Depression (Recurrent/Treatment Resistant), Anxiety Disorder with Panic Attacks.
Rx: Klonopin prn
Ex Rx: Zoloft, Effexor, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Celexa, Lexapro, Zyprexa, Seroquel, Abilify, Buspar, Xanax, Valium, Cymbalta, Nortriptyline, Anafranil, Lamictal, Lithium, Pexeva, Ascendin, Geodon, Lunesta, Ludiomil, Luvox, Remeron, Haldol and others I can't remember.

"Cling to nothing"

#9 buttface

buttface

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:13 PM

I would suggest to drink in moderation because of the phenomenon of cross-tolerance which means if your using two or more depressant drugs (i.e. benzos and alcohol) you may develop tolerance for one of the drugs as well as partial tolerance to the other depressant drug. Which just means you might run the risk of needing more klonopin to do the job or more alcohol to feel anxiety-reducing effects.

how often do you reckon you'd have to drink to have this happen? i guess it's impossible to predict. but i'm hoping this only happens to frequent drinkers? like people who have a drink or two every night.

so, not that anyone cares but, i've experimented with alcohol & klonopin since my initial post and so far, 1-3 beers spread out over 1-3 hours seems to be fine for me. it's strange to go from a binge drinker to a drink sipper, but whatever. this cross-tolerance thing scares me more than any immediate effects of klon + alcohol. guess i'll just save drinking for once or twice a month...

#10 H3AD_TR1P

H3AD_TR1P

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:36 AM

I have a glass of wine almost every night and I take from .5 mg to 1 mg of klonopin before bed. Probably not a great idea, but I do it and I have not had any ill effects that I know of.

I never ever drink when I take xanax.

omg i have a glass, or two, sometimes three... hell mabey the bottle!
but for reals i do have wine averaging 2 glasses of chadonnay a night and i take 2mg of klonopin in the am and 2mg of klonopin the afternoon (mostly i just need 1mg of it) and i also take ambein to sleep too!

i DO have to be carefull witht he ambien, when i take i only have time to get some water (or wine lol!), smoke a cigarette, and hop in bed or else crazzzzzy stuff happens!

but if you wanna go out and fun do it!
klonopin saved my life, amen!

Edited by H3AD_TR1P, 20 December 2008 - 09:37 AM.

Posted Image-P3ACE

#11 Ophelia

Ophelia

I bitch, therefore I am...

• Pip
  • 3287 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:58 PM

ok. in reality, you are not supposed to. in actuality, some people do.

the thing to be aware of, though, if that everyone's tolerance varies. what happens to one person maybe not happen to another and visa versa. what happens to you one night might not happen the next, especially since you are a new user.

i really do not see you saying, "ok, i'll abstain from alcohol," but, if you do choose to drink, you really have to be careful. you can potentially end up sick or hospitalized. i don't mean to scare you, but i just thought i'd put it out there.

"Instant gratification takes too long." ~Carrie Fisher

"You're wrong! I do have feelings. I'm an actress! I have all of them." ~Elise Elliot (Goldie Hawn), 'The First Wives Club'

"The defects and faults of the mind are like wounds in the body. After all imaginable care has been taken to heal them up, still there will be a scar left behind." ~Francois de la Rochefoucauld

"It has been said that time heals all wounds. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens, but it is never gone." ~Rose Kennedy

#12 Vitriol

Vitriol

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:45 AM

like someone else said, you arent suppose to but a lot of people are mixing alcohol and benzos.

I mixed them many times in the past (a bottle of wine at least, I know this is very stupid) and each time, it was a direct way to major depression feelings for a few days.

A drink or two is ok according to my Pdoc but I would strongly recommend to avoid drinking more.
Dx: GAD, PD, OCD, Insomnia, HBP, Tinnitus
Rx: Lexotan 6mg, Indapamide 1.25mg, Nappien 30mg, Ignorital 500mg
ExRx: Lexapro, Effexor, Celexa, Remeron, Aventyl, Ativan, Xanax, Dalmane, Imovane, Serax, Restoril, Klonopin, Trazodone

Walk in silence

#13 Guest_Jhude_*

Guest_Jhude_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:08 PM

I was prescribed Klonopin 1mg about a week ago because of an very bad event that happened at my work (I work in a prison) with an inmate and another officer.
I didn't know that klonopin did that to you if you drank alcohol. I'm a CHRONIC tequila drinker and I can go though maybe 15 shots a night. I never noticed a change in my drunken-ness, but I did notice that not once did I get nauseous which I commonly did before. It didn't occur to me that klonopin affected you in that way until one of my "friends" came over and saw the pill bottle on my counter top and got excited over it. I asked her what it was and she told me to look it up... here I am.
Can I still drink tequila (not 15 shots like I normally do) when taking these pills? I have to take them twice a day, but normally I only take them once a day in the evening.

#14 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:01 PM

Can I still drink tequila (not 15 shots like I normally do) when taking these pills? I have to take them twice a day, but normally I only take them once a day in the evening.

Only if you want to be a overdosed, dead corrections officer. Seriously. Klonopin makes you all relaxed and sleepy so you don't notice you are vomiting and breathing it in at the same time. Hence choking on your own vomit.

It doesn't matter that you take the pills hours before you drink... they last for 8-10 hours.

If you are drinking 15 shots a night, you don't need a website, you need a detox program or an AA group. And likely a less stressful job. My father is a recovering alcoholic. I've seen rock bottom, and almost killing yourself with booze and pills is pretty damn close.

Edited by gizmo, 07 May 2009 - 11:03 PM.

Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#15 Deepster

Deepster

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:09 AM

Buttface-

I'm not sure what dosage of klonopin you are taking, but that aside........MAN, 15 shots of tequila per night would likely cause ANYONE to have anxietly and depression from the alcohol alone!

Mixing this with almost any dose of a benzo is just bad news, PERIOD!

Get detoxed first. Engage in a program to get you off the booze. Does your doc know about this? Doubtful!...as I don't think anyone but a quack would prescribe benzos for someone with a chronic alcohol addiction.

Taking benzos after a night of drinking can surely relieve the symptoms of a hangover, but it also sets you up for a tragic cycle of abuse....alcohol which you admit you are already abusing, then comes the cycle of bringing yourself back by using benzos. Very likely the you will become habituated to the benzos whether that's your desire or not. You'll need more to "bounce back" from the continued nightly benging.....the cycle expands and eventually you could find yourself in a broadening cycle.

Your wellness(and possibly eventually your life) are more important! Please seek out a recovery program that works for you, and learn the coping skills that can help you deal with the work situaion without self medicationg......DBT counseling is wonderful for many. Give it a try.

My best to you in your battle, which is likely to only get worse with the combo you're now taking.

Deepster

Edited by Deepster, 08 May 2009 - 08:12 AM.

#16 chimpmaster

chimpmaster

Hairpants for hairpants :)

• Inmate
  • 1265 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:18 AM

I think a lot of people here are a little paranoid about the subject matter.

In the end its all about tolerance. If you take a handful of pills and drink more than you normally would on an empty stomach you are going to run into trouble.

If you drink regularly and take your benzos regularly, you will build up tolerance to them (and possibly dependence).

Dx : Schizophrenia, paranoid type with panic attacks. Obsessive Compulsive Personality Trait.

Rx : 300mg Clozapine, 1500mg Keppera, 60mg Prozac, 120mg Zeldox, 4mg Reboxetine, 2 oxazepam morning and lunch, 3 in the evening
Ex Rx: Luvox, Paxil, Risperdel, Xanax, Seroquel, Abilify, Zyprexa, Tolvon, Mirtazapine, diazepam.

#17 Guest_oops_*

Guest_oops_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:07 PM

i am 90 days off klonopin / alcohol combo, after rehab unfortunately. i have had high tolerance whole life, pretty solid rock star. was on klonopin rx 6 years, daily drinker... be careful with hard liquor and klonopin.

basically, it's a slippery slope. they are wonderful together, yet, as well highly addictive together. just try to be mindful of the alcohol intake - take a look periodically to see where your rough average intake daily might be of each.

if the klonopin and alcohol each get to somewhat regular elevated intake, be careful. they interact oddly in elevated dosage together. withdrawal is very tough (and dangerous without professionals)

also, this book is pretty cool - The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne. it may have helped me before i lost my way.

take it easy - i wish i had!!!

#18 BackAtTheLab

BackAtTheLab

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:53 AM

It's all about tolerance, blah, blah. That's been said so I won't go over it again.
Advice? 15 shots of anything is too much.

I have low tolerance to both, so I will have about a half a beer and already feel somewhat flushed and odd. I'm on .5-1, 2x/d.
Best Wishes,
BATL

The basics:
Chronic mystery health problems: Undiagnosed; duration 6 years
dx: Social Anxiety, Panic Disorder, Depression

Meds/Vitamins:
rx: Klonopin .5mg, Pristiq (starting tomorrow)
Protonix, Metanx, Caltrate +D, Iron, Vit C, Nuva Ring
Previous rx: Lexapro, Niravam, Lamictal, Zanax XR, Cymbalta

Every day, a little bit stronger. Gotta want it bad.

#19 gloryforixseal

gloryforixseal

Hello World

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:40 PM

My view is that ive taken paxil for the majority of the last 8 years. 5mg as that is all that my system can handle. More than that and I have trouble sleeping and have stomach aches. I have no experience with klonopin.
Here is a website that I designed for quick cash loan company.

#20 abitcrazy

abitcrazy

Grand Poobah of the Crazies

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:02 AM

I used to do 8-12 drinks a night (scotch, vodka, etc.) while I was on 2-3mg of Klonopin. When I drank this much, I would black out. SCARY!! I'd wake up at 3am with the TV static and only remember events up to about 8pm. Not good.

I stopped mixing the two and things got much better. Now I don't drink at all and only take an average of .5mg of Klonopin every other day. I don't think that 1 or 2 drinks would be that bad, but then it also depends on how much Klonopin is in your system, your body weight, etc.

Dx: Ultradian Cycling Bipolar II, Anxiety/Panic Disorder, some OCD and ADD, generally being an asshole when hypomanic
Rx: Lamictal 400mg, Focalin XR 5mg, Klonopin 1mg 

Prior Rx: Lithium, Lexapro, Seroquel, Depakote, Abilify, Risperdal, Zoloft, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Lorazepam, Trazodone and few others.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.