Amitriptyline and Weight Gain

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Raquin

Raquin

• Pip
  • 387 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:43 AM

I haven't filled in my prescription yet. I'm supposed to take 10mgs a day to help with sleep and pain. I saw that one of the side effects is extreme weight gain. I'll only be on 10mgs a night. What are the chances of my gaining weight? Has anyone taken this small amount?
"All writers of confessions, from Augustine on down, have always remained a little in love with their sins."-ANATOLE FRANCE

#2 MiaB

MiaB

another crazy cat person

• Inmate
  • 3205 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:25 PM

yes, some years ago. The amount prescribed just for sleep is so low... I didn't gain any weight and honestly would be very surprised if you did. My sister also took it for several months recently and was fine. Try not to fret about it - I hope it gives you some decent rest!

BP1 (with psychosis), migraines

Daily meds: Lithium 1000mg, Seroquel XR 600mg, Seroquel IR 125mg, Lamotrigine 300mg, Fluanxol 1mg, Loprazolam 2mg

PRN meds: Diazepam 10mg, Maxalt 10mg

Ex meds: Alprazolam SR, Amitriptyline, Ativan, Clozapine, Effexor XR, Etomine, Ritalin, Solian, Tegretol, Thorazine, Trileptal, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Zolpidem, Zopiclone, Zyprexa

I am not a healthcare professional of any kind.  Always consult your care provider.

Paragraph breaks are your friend. 

#3 celestia

celestia

• Pip
  • 3855 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:39 PM

I have a tendency toward weight gain and I was fine on it. If I recall, 20 some odd years ago I took it for depression and did gain weight. But I took more of it. At 25mg (migraine), I was okay weight wise.
diagnoses: MDD/ADD/PTSD
Current meds: Wellbutrin 450/Lexapro 30

#4 Littlewing

Littlewing

• Pip
  • 504 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:43 PM

I took it years ago for chronic back pain. It didn't really help with the back pain but it DID make me sleep, but very soon I found that 10mgs didn't do it, and in the end I could take between 5 and 8 tablets and still no sleep, so I knocked it on the head.

Unfortunately also it's used as an anti-depressant and when I found I had to take more to make me sleep, the anti-depressant qualities started kicking in and then I went hypomanic.

Here's hoping it works OK for you though ;)

Current meds: Lamotrigine, Olanzapine, Fluoxetine, diazepam, zolpidem...and the list bloody well goes on

#5 tryp

tryp

DBT = Diary Card Bingo

• Inmate
  • 6657 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:45 PM

I've never taken Amitriptyline, but I do take Remeron, which has a similar side effect profile, and I worried about this a lot before filling my script, but I haven't gained much weight at all so far (about 6 weeks in) so I just wanted to reiterate that YMMV - if you try it and you start to gain weight, you can always stop taking it, but you may very well not gain any. If you're REALLY concerned, just watch your diet - the carb cravings can be killer, though I stopped getting them so much within a few weeks. If you take it and then go straight to bed, you don't really have time to stuff yourself with sweets. That's what I've been doing.

Diag-nonsense: complex PTSD w/ recurrent depression
Tx: Lamictal (250) + prazosin (7.5) + therapy

#6 kittyface

kittyface

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:37 PM

I took 100mg a night and gained MAYBE 5 lbs in the months I was on it.

#7 Guest_veronicacherry_*

Guest_veronicacherry_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:23 PM

I haven't filled in my prescription yet. I'm supposed to take 10mgs a day to help with sleep and pain. I saw that one of the side effects is extreme weight gain. I'll only be on 10mgs a night. What are the chances of my gaining weight? Has anyone taken this small amount?

Yes, I started in Dec. Needed something to help me sleep. Dealing with the a breakup and school. Well since then I went from 267 to 305 as of today.
Be careful .

#8 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:50 PM

I took Elavil many years ago for migraines following a TBI. The dosage was low but subclinical compared to psych dosing. I may have put on 5 or 10 lbs, but it wasn't a major concern. It was a very good drug for me.

a.m.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#9 bluelikejazz

bluelikejazz

• Inmate
  • 2576 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:27 PM

I'm on 150 mgs and I haven't gained anything so far. If anything I think I would probably lose weight because i'm comfort eating less.

PMDD, PTSD and MDD.

rx: Amitryptaline 125mg Seroquel XR 100mg, Lithium 750mg.

I'm not a mental health professional but I am a pretty awesome amateur (talk to an actual pro rather than taking my advice)

#10 buddha443556

buddha443556

Crazy Rabbit

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:51 PM

No weight gain, actually loss weight. I was on 50mg.
DX: PTSD, MAJOR DEPRESSIVE DISORDER, PANIC DISORDER WITH AGORAPHOBIA AND SCHIZOID PERSONALITY DISORDER.

NOTE: ALSO PSYCHOTIC AND UNAWARE OF IT MOST OF THE TIME.

RX: HYDROXYZINE 50MG QID, LORATADINE 10MG OD, CETIRIZINE 10MG OD, RANIRIDINE 150MG BID, MONTELUKAST SODIUM 10MG OD, DOXEPIN 25MG OD.

86'ed RX: AMITRIPTYLINE, PAXIL, ZOLOFT, ELAVIL, SEROQUEL, EFFEXOR, PROCHLORPERAZINE, INVEGA, SAPHRIS, RISPERDOL.

SCHIZOIDS UNITED

#11 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 4162 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:06 PM

I took between 150-250mg/day for years. I did gain weight but I can't really say that it was from the amitriptyline.

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

#12 Guest_tbird_*

Guest_tbird_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:22 PM

I took between 150-250mg/day for years. I did gain weight but I can't really say that it was from the amitriptyline.

just about to take amitriptyline and a little apprehensive. was on risperdal three years ago and gained nearly 2 stone as a result.
will this have the same effect?

#13 Cetkat

Cetkat

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe..

• Pip
  • 3079 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:54 PM

I've been on 100mg for months, I've yet to gain or lose from it. I wouldn't worry about it.

_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

Dx: Major Depression w/ Dysthymia and Panic Disorder, ADHD, Fibromyalgia
Pdoc's Theory Dx: Bipolar NOS (recently re-theorized by current pdoc)
Rx : Strattera 80mg, Armour Thyroid 60mg (1 gr), Nadolol prn, Xanax prn, Methocarbamol 750mg prn
EXRx : Zoloft, Seroquel, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Lamictal, Remeron, Lexapro, Abilify, Zyprexa, Geodon, Cymbalta, Paxil, Sonata, Lunesta, Effexor, Metadate, Risperdal, BuSpar, Ambien, Invega, Tegretol, Nortriptyline, Desipramine, Deplin, Neurontin, Concerta, Trazodone, Mirapex, Amitriptyline, Saphris, Prestiq

I do whatever my rice krispies tell me to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"OK so cheese is trapped, so you can't have cheese." - MDK
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _. _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

#14 wondernut

wondernut

disconcerted citizen

• Pip
  • 971 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:03 PM

I took it years ago when they used it to try to prevent migraines and I lost weight on it because I had zero taste for food

it gave me a hangover feeling for about two weeks tried it for a while did nothing to prevent migraines but I did sleep soundly
wellbutrin, vit D, coffee, ibuprofen
xanax lick as needed

#15 vanderk

vanderk

Thimk!

• Pip
  • 844 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:10 AM

The weight gain issue with TCA's has more to do with carb cravings than metabolic changes. Put a lock on the sugar bowl. There is a hangover effect with the sedation. Don't plan to do any aerobic exercise until noon for the first few weeks. It does attenuate for most people. The dosage you've been prescribed is very low, so you may not incur any funky side effects. The biggest cautions with amitriptyline have to do with QT prolongation (I trust you don't have a pacemaker) and its' really screwy elimination (something like 19 hours to 41 days). The latter is a serious issue for folks at the high end of the dosing range. I have know a couple of people who have inadvertently overdosed while taking it as prescribed. Not a good scenario. But again, your dosage is way low to make this a concern.
I believe in everything, nothing is sacred.
I believe in nothing, everything is sacred.
Ha ha, ho ho,and hee hee.

The Chink

#16 Guest_Cereta Hardy_*

Guest_Cereta Hardy_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:18 AM

I took it for one week and it wouldn't allow me to get up and work. It made the pain go away cause I sleep through it. After it wears off feels like a bad hangover. Taken it for sciacia nerve pain.

#17 Guest_mimi_*

Guest_mimi_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:28 PM

Has anyone LOST the weight after getting OFF amitriptyline? Thanks.

#18 Guest_Katie_*

Guest_Katie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:36 PM

I am taking 50 mg of amitriptyline once a day at bedtime to prevent migraines. I have only been on it for about 3 weeks and so far I think I have gained some weight but I haven't weighed myself yet.
I think I've gained some weight because I can tell by the way my clothes are fitting and the size of my boobs. I just feel bloated and gross. The medicine doesnt knock me out at night but I find it alot harder to get up and out of bed in the morning. I will be talking to my doctor about maybe trying something else that wont cause increased appetite and weight gain.

#19 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:50 PM

I've been taking amitriptyline for a few weeks and can tell I've put weight on I'll be talking to my doctor about this for other options

#20 Guest_angela_*

Guest_angela_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:15 PM

I've been on Amitriptyline for 5 months now; when I was only taking 10-50mg I don't think I gained much if anything. They just moved me up to 100mg at night for my Migraines at I know I have gained a large amount of weight just in the last month, I am bloated, exhausted & its not even helping my migraines.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.