• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 leadinglady

leadinglady

Addicted BPD maniac

• Pip
  • 294 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:04 PM

I haven't been to the medicine clinic in awhile and last month they wouldn't refill my Paxil and Zyprexa without making an appt first so I did. They lovingly put me in with a half-retarded resident that will leave in 2 months like always. Anyway, I get a letter in the mail saying they have to cancel the appointment. Meanwhile I run out of Paxil. Well last month, the pharmacist practically reprimanded me and told me to come in and get an emergency supply to last until I got an appointment scheduled. She was very sweet and gave me 5 pills to last until I got that appt scheduled and got my refill. Well I ran out again. I went in to get another emergency supply while they get doctor auth. Again, they tell me I need to schedule an appointment and they WILL NOT give me an emergency supply. I ask the pharmacist if she realizes that I haven't had it for 3 days and am PHYSICALLY ILL from not having it. DO YOU KNOW I CAN GET VERY SICK FROM NOT HAVING THIS MEDICATION? "yes." She says smugly. Bitch.

So I tell her, "I'll sit right here and call them." I called them, scheduled the appointment. Well then the psychiatrist's office gives me the run around. "I put in a note to get it refilled." Then I leave after calling the pharmacist a few choice words. I told her I'd have her ass fired. My grandmother called and told them if I had a seizure or anything happened to me, she'd sue their asses so bad their heads would spin. God, I love my grandmother.

The psych triage nurse calls me back an hour later. (The psych triage nurse and I do not get along and I refuse to see her in person. I think that twat needs medication her damn self!) "Oh I don't know if we can do this. You haven't been in the med clinic in quite some time. Are you still on 30 mg of Paxil, 5 mg of Zyprexa?" YES! "Well I don't think we can fill it. Let me talk to Dr. resident-of-the-week-who-rotates-thru." Finally, 4 hours later, I get a call that they approved it.

I go to pick it up. There is an old man ahead of me who asks for his prescription. They tell him he needs doctor authorization first. He asks for an emergency supply.

"Oh, have a seat, it will be about 5 minutes."

Hmmmmmmmm. isn't that strange? I asked. They said it depended on the medication.

Well it's not like it's Vicodin, Percocet, valium, Benzos? HELLOOOOOOO!!!!!! I've been on this shit since I was 17 - look in your records assholes!

How come they gave me an emergency supply 30 days ago but today could not? Hmmmmmmm.

All I know is that I will NOT patronize their shit pharmacy that I spend thousands of dollars a year at. I got my Paxil and hopefully will feel better but the withdrawal affects, brain shocks, and black spots I keep seeing (aren't those visual hallucinations?) are killing me right now and I'm short with my kids. Very short.

I'm so sick and tired of psychiatrists and pharmacists treating people like shit. Wait until Walgreens gets someone in there who hasn't had their major major meds for awhile and they refuse an emergency supply and when they come back and murder everybody in the place, they'll all cry about how senseless it was. Ridiculous.

Mentally ill people are treated like SHIT!!!!!!

Major depressive disorder, recurrent, severe/Agoraphobia with panic disorder/Borderline personality disorder/chemical dependency/chronic pain/PTSD.

Meds: Paxil 20 mg a day, Zyprexa 2.5 mg twice a day, amitriptyline 75 mg at bedtime.  Weaning off Paxil to start Brintellix.

#2 Sophia

Sophia

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:35 PM

I don't do ANY business at Walgreen's anymore; they pissed me off a number of years ago, and I filed a complaint with the pharmacy board in the state in which that Walgreen's was located.

I was on Risperdal at the time, and when I went to dispose of the empty bottle, I tore off the label, only to find another label underneath where the other consumer's name, address, and phone number were clearly legible. I went back to Walgreens with the bottle and complained about their lack of respect for the person's privacy. The pharm told me, "we're allowed to use the medication again if the consumer doesn't pick it up." Sure, that WASN'T the issue. The pharm never seemed to understand that there was anything wrong with their violating the man's privacy.

I contacted the state pharmacy board in that state, and the dolt there wasn't sure that they'd done anything wrong...excuse me, federal privacy rights? Finally, he (dolt II) seemed to understand that there was something wrong....

I had all my prescriptions changed to another pharmacy, and I think I've been in a Walgreens two or three times in the last six years; I don't care that this was only one branch; their training of employees seemed lax, and there are plenty of other pharrmacies to which I can take my business.

Sophia

#3 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:38 PM

It sucks when plans fall apart. It really sucks to go thru SSRI withdrawal. Sucks.

/end sympathy

[reality]
The pharmacist is restricted by state laws. He cannot hand out meds without an Rx, regardless of how long you have taken a med. Some states allow a small leeway for urgent situations. You got your emergency 5 day supply. It's not the pharmacists fault you have problems with the clinic. Pharmacists can't suck Rx's from doctors. Also, every call he has to make to a doctor is a pill bottle he isn't filling for someone in line at the counter. Your pharmacist and the pharmacy can lose their licenses for violating state law, regardless of how shitty your head feels.

Being pissy with the triage nurse (and your medical providers) is not in your best interest anytime. You deal with her once every few months. She deals with 50 needy, crazy patients every day. Being polite and even a little sunshiny goes a long way when you need special favors. (I've been on the other side of the phone/window).

[sympathy]
I hope you are feeling better. Nothing is worse than going thru brain zaps and head shifts. I hate them. Your pdoc really does need to see you in person so that he can talk to you and visually see how you are doing. So keep up with regular appointments. It will help lower your stress about dealing with the nurse and dodging appointments and getting refills on time.

Regards, a.m.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#4 CrazyBeautiful

CrazyBeautiful

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:29 PM

Yeah I'm not a fan of Walgreens either. They switched the generic brand of Paxil they carried, which I started taking and promptly realized that it wasn't working. I also got tired of the mile long lines. But anyhow...

AM is right. That pharmacist was bound by law and could have lost their license over handing out unprescribed drugs. You were lucky to get the emergency supply. I've never been granted that when I've asked.

I've learned that it is absolutely NOT an option to miss meds. For me I can't even miss one dose. This is why my priority is making sure I have enough refills and/or another appointment. It is no different than making sure you have insulin if you have diabetes.

If you don't like where you receive services, I'm sure there are private psychiatrists you could use. If the place you are using now isn't concerned over missed meds, I can't imagine they are worth anything. You said something about the triage nurse. I really hope by "medicine clinic" you don't mean emergency room. Because they will most definitely get tired of seeing you.

The bottom line is that this is all your responsibility and you need to get an appointment far enough in advance in case this stuff happens. Good luck.
"Thoughts are the shadows of feelings, always darker, emptier, and simpler.
I don't care if they're fake or real, I just thank them for showing up at all.
I have black periods. Who does not? But they are not a part of me;
they are not a part of illness, but a part of my being. What am I saying?
I have the courage to have them. Four o' clock in the morning. This sucks."
-Alkaline Trio "Warbrain"

"You say I'm fixable. A classic case, lack of will. I say I don't wanna try, I'd rather sit here all night."
-Alkaline Trio "My Standard Break From Life"

#5 lottacrazy

lottacrazy

Here but not really

• Pip
  • 571 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:08 PM

Just adding that I agree Walgreens bites the big one, I prefer small privately owned pharmacies myself but I have to use RiteAid for the most part...the people at walgreens are very rude and judgmental to say teh least, it think it is a qualifications

EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
Must be rude
Judmental
A Duche Bag
DX: BP1, OCD, PTSD Possible ADD

Present RX: Paxil 15mg, Depakote 750mg, Ativan .5mg
Past RX: Paxil, Zoloft, Serzone, Depakote, Respirdol, Adivan

#6 Rabbit37

Rabbit37

It's a fuckin' zoo around here

• Pip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:56 AM

I refuse to use any chains. I strongly prefer and recommend a small family owned practice. I have been saved many times by the pharmacist who I am on a first name basis with. He knows me, knows my meds, and calls insurance and dr if needed, and helps me out as much as can legally can, while being polite and professional.

Unfortunately, mandatory mail-order maintenance medications... those are frustrating as well.
dx - BP, OCD and BPD, oh yeah, and some GAD as well
rx - lithium, risperidone, citalopram, vistaril and vitamins

#7 Ophelia

Ophelia

I bitch, therefore I am...

• Pip
  • 3287 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:28 PM

I refuse to use any chains. I strongly prefer and recommend a small family owned practice. I have been saved many times by the pharmacist who I am on a first name basis with. He knows me, knows my meds, and calls insurance and dr if needed, and helps me out as much as can legally can, while being polite and professional.

I'm with Rabbit on this one. I hate using chains. I had to use the Walmart pharmacy for years when I went to school, and just... no. At home, in the ver commercial area I live in, we use a family owned pharmacy that does everything Rabbit said. Plus, I have an "account," so when I need a prescription, I never have to exchange money, I just say "Hey, can you please charge and deliver this?" Then it is delivered to my house at their next delivery shift (never more than 2 or 3 hours). It is absolutely *fabulous*. I feel quite spoiled by it, actually. ;)

"Instant gratification takes too long." ~Carrie Fisher

"You're wrong! I do have feelings. I'm an actress! I have all of them." ~Elise Elliot (Goldie Hawn), 'The First Wives Club'

"The defects and faults of the mind are like wounds in the body. After all imaginable care has been taken to heal them up, still there will be a scar left behind." ~Francois de la Rochefoucauld

"It has been said that time heals all wounds. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens, but it is never gone." ~Rose Kennedy

#8 Guest_NM_*

Guest_NM_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:02 PM

Your doctor could have easily added refills to your prescription via phone or fax. If they don't renew prescriptions without appointments, then that in an issue to take up with your doctor, not the pharmacy.

One emergency supply is one thing... but when you're asking for basically "freebies" multiple times because you and your doctor's office can't get your schedules to coincide, the pharmacy isn't there to play baby sitter. The cost of the medication is out of the business's pocket and giving an emergency supply on a pending authorization from an MD doesn't necessarily mean that the money will be reimbursed. What if you doctor decides they shouldn't renew that RX? what if the insurance doesn't pay for it you next fill?

Do you expect the pharmacy to dole out free samples as if they're the cosmetics department pushing minis of Pantene Pro V shampoo? And emergency supply is a courtesy, not a policy.

Even if it is not a controlled substance, there are policies governing the dispensing of anti-depressants, benzodiazepines, mood stabilzers etc... if you give a mentally unstable person a handful of free pills and they decide to take them all at once? Pharmacy's fault.

#9 lavender

lavender

• Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:55 AM

True, it's not the pharmacy's responsibility to provide multiple emergency supplies, but IMHO, any pharmacist or tech worth their salt should treat ppl respectfully and give an explanation that makes sense to their client/customer. As for Walgreen's...they completely and undeniably SUCK and they also really, really BLOW!!!! Was there a couple years ago, had serious case of flu and needed Rx's filled. Stood forever in a line that didn't move, trying not to pass out, all the while listening to a true-blue BITCH of a pharmacy clerk YELLING at elderly ppl for waiting till last minute to call in for their refills. Totally unprofessional and uncalled for!!! At long last, the bitch called my name to pick up my meds, which required waiting in the same fucked up line all over again. I noticed there were only 2 meds as opposed to the 3 written by my doc. I asked about this and was loudly and rudely informed that the med was out of stock, and I should go pick up something else over-the-counter. I felt like hell and shoulda been in bed and by this time had heard enough of her bellowing, so did not bother to hold back as I told her what I thought, and called her the unmitigated bitch that she was...she got all self-righteous of course (didn't have to put up with such language, told me never to come back, blah, blah, blah...) I proceeded to tell her where to go and what to do to herself as I was departing...complete with approving glances from the elderly customers still awaiting their fate!!! FUCK Walgreens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PS, as a nurse I've been on the "other side" myself, and have dealt with ppl without having to insult their intelligence or pontificate to them, and guess what, it really works!!!
Dx: Bipolar Disorder, rapid cycling
Meds: Remeron, Ranitidine, Simvastatin, Prempro, Ativan as needed

Past Rx: Lamictal, Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Buspar, Celexa, Zyprexa, Seroquel, Risperidol, Xanax, Klonopin, Trazodone, Serzone, Lithium, Triavil, Tofranil, Haldol, Cogentin, Sinequan, Elavil, Valium, Desiprimine, Depakote, Neurontin, Thorazine, Tranxene, Ambien, Restoril, Fukitol, etc, etc, etc...

#10 Guest_Jane_*

Guest_Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:15 PM

I agree that being on the other side of the phone/window/counter, dealing with 50 needy un-medicated people can be stressful, but I am also of the opinion that it takes TWO to tango and a little courtesy and respect on BOTH sides of the counter should just be done, no matter how crabby you are or how long you've been without meds. There is a line, however. Walgreens has crossed that line for me several times. Several locations. And their Option Care Service has also earned an ultimate FAIL. Walgreens is running a BUSINESS that deals with PATIENTS who rely on them to be HEALTHY and while they should not break any laws, they do have, in my opinion, a responsibility to be courteous and helpful and perhaps take some pride in having good customer service. That does NOT mean doling out meds against regulations. It means: answering questions promptly and courteously, making service agreements and plans clear and easy to understand and use, promptly returning phone calls, updating information correctly into the database, treating customers with respect despite their own prejudices, not making unwarranted judgments about clients, sending medications in a timely manner, and communicating with the nursing companies they contract with, among other things. I made a complaint (and it will not be my last complaint) about Option Care. I am calling my doctor to see if there is another service I could use, but I doubt there is. I'm pretty fed up with them.

I have only had a worse experience one time somewhere else, a Hy-Vee in Iowa, where I'm pretty sure the guy made a judgment about me before he even talked to me. I'm not really sure exactly what that judgment was, but I got the feeling he thought I was some crack head trailer trash bimbo who was trying to scam him (I was really very sick and needed a refill of antibiotics for my daughter who takes antibiotics every day for the asplenia that accompanies her complex congenital heart disease. I looked like shit yes, but maybe, just maybe, it was from being a mother of three with a horrible sinus infection). He refused to give me one mixed amoxicillian and one unmixed powder, even though that's the way my insurance said it had to be filled, because it expires in 14 days after being mixed. Before I moved, I was getting it filled at a different Hy-vee and my pharmacist there filled one mixed and gave me three powders to mix myself. He didn't believe me, refused to call to confirm, and informed me that it was HIS PHARMACY and I informed him I would do business at a pharmacy that didn't have anything to do with HIM. Thank you and Fuck off.

#11 Stars

Stars

• Pip
  • 344 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:12 PM

I REPORT anyone who is acting as a professional and mean to me. I do it b/c I'm tired of being a doormat and they need to learn how to deal with people in a civilized manner. Recall that on the phone many conversations are recorded. Also, many cell phone can record and take pictures. use them. Catch these people and give someone who is polite a chance to take their job.

Edited by Stars, 15 December 2009 - 06:14 PM.

#12 Guest_JillE_*

Guest_JillE_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:31 PM

I hate Walgreens!!!!!!!! They have never gotten a prescription right! they screw them all up!!!!!!! Avoid like the plague!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 Guest_Forrizzle._*

Guest_Forrizzle._*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:02 PM

NO ONE CARES. ;)

#14 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 9142 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:53 PM

NO ONE CARES. ;)

Which is made perfectly *obvious* by your even bothering to respond to this thread.

:) right back at you.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#15 cgrace

cgrace

proudest monkey

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:34 PM

Well I see that the original post is from 2008 but... I think I'm lucky with my local Walgreens. There is one pharmacist who is a grumpy gus and one cashier who gives everyone the hairy eyeball but other than those two everyone is very nice and helpful.

Last year, with my old psychiatrist, I had some problems getting refills from him (mostly cause he canceled appts... I was like WTF?!) and he was never available by phone. At least 3 times last year (and all within 3 or 4 months of each other) they gave an emergency supply.

I've also had two problems getting authorization from my insurance company and the people at Walgreens were totally cool with calling the ins. co. to sort things out. And they did it right away.

They are always really busy and the staff are always running around practically bumping into each other but they all manage to be cool. Well, except for the one pharmacist and the one cashier.

I see that my Walgreens is the exception though.

Edited by cgrace, 05 April 2010 - 08:35 PM.

The dog days are over.

dx: Mood Disorder NOS, Attention Deficit Disorder
rx: Lamictal 200 mg, Cymbalta 60 mg, Geodon 100 mg, Adderall XR 40 mg (am), Adderall IR 40 mg (afternoon)

#16 Moil

Moil

-O--O-

• Pip
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:50 PM

Why so much yelling?   :blink:

Edit: It looks like the posts I was referring to are no longer here...so this post probably doesn't make very much sense.

Edited by Moil, 15 November 2010 - 06:46 PM.

Dx:  Major Depressive Disorder...though I think the lithium may be hiding something other than the fact that it owes me money

Rx-AM:  3 X 20mg fluoxetine; 3 X 300mg Lithium Carbonate; Water

Rx-PM:  3 X 300mg Lithium Carbonate; Water

Tx:  Elevated volume

Meds That Remain Only in Memory:  Citalopram made my toilet and I too familiar;  Sertraline is what they gave me in school > 10 years ago 

#17 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:14 PM

Someone has to stand up for the underdog, so it will be me. I have had good luck with a specific Walgreens in my town. I use them for all my PRN meds. I like having the web page to order meds and they text page me when my meds are ready and if there is a delay. That way I never show up with my meds not ready to pick up. Took a few days to get Lamictal XR from them, they had to order.However, I bet few take this formulation. I have interfaced with 2staff pharmacists who were good. They are very busy at times so I go at off hours. I don't tie them up with phone calls, I use the web page. I can ask questions there and interact with a real pharmacist. The counter staff is nice but nothing special. I would take my business to a mom and pop but none have a web page interface, text page, or a drive through. Walgreens is right by work, I pass it every day whereas the nearest mom and pop is out of my way. They have never made a mistake in filling any of my meds.

I think every Walgreens is different and you can't generalize over the hundreds of locations they have.

nf

Edited by notfred, 16 November 2010 - 02:59 PM.

#18 Thomas

Thomas

• Pip
  • 2051 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:51 AM

My Walgreens is really good too. They have even called my insurance company when they tried to limit my dose. They always notify me by email when my Rx's are in and follow up with a phone call if I forget to pick them up.

Tommy
Dx:BP1, OCD, Diabetetes Type 2, Hypertension, Gastroparesis & kidney stones
Rx: Abilify 20 mg., Klonopin 6.0 mg., Restoril 30 mg. Cymbalta 120 mg. , Lamictal 400 mg., Cogentin 1.5 mg. Crestor 10 mg. hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg., Hyzaar 100/25 mg., domperidone 20 mg. and Levemir Insulin 40 units, Actos 45 mg.,Proprananol ER 80 mg., Hydrocodone/APAP 40 mg./4000 mg., tizanidine 1 mg., Fiorocet 3 mg.

#19 seamonkey

seamonkey

• Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:44 PM

With my insurance, I'm pretty much stuck at CVS. I had to open a workers comp claim due to a dog biting me at my weekend job. I used it at CVS to fill the antibiotics urgent care prescribed me. 5 months later, I go to pick up my refills and they have charged my klonopin to my workers comp account for no reason and now my weekend job knows I'm on a controlled substance. They also filled the wrong dose of the klonopin, so I had to go back 3 times.

The only time I dealt with walgreens was when my pdoc faxed a rx for zyprexa to the walgreens across the street from the CVS I use. They made me drive across the street to CVS, explain it to them, and make CVS call them so they could fax the rx to them instead of picking up the phone and doing it themselves. This was also the same day the dog bit me, so I wound up going to 2 urgent cares that day, CVS 3 times, and walgreens once
Bipolar, current cocktail 120mgs geodon, 1 mg Klonopin, 50mgs Seroque, .1mg clonidine

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.