Schizo-Affective Disorder...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:31 PM

So "officially" I am diagnosed as having schizo-affective disorder, which is basically a version of bipolar disorder with more symptoms of psychosis than depression. I have not been depressed in a long long time, but symptoms of psychosis still creep up once in a while.

The point of this topic is this: Does anyone else have schizo-affective disorder? If so, what meds are you currently taking? How do you feel? I'm just curious about others with schizo-affective, cause it is not as common as bipolar.

#2 sdjeff

sdjeff

• Pip
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:41 PM

So "officially" I am diagnosed as having schizo-affective disorder, which is basically a version of bipolar disorder with more symptoms of psychosis than depression. I have not been depressed in a long long time, but symptoms of psychosis still creep up once in a while.

The point of this topic is this: Does anyone else have schizo-affective disorder? If so, what meds are you currently taking? How do you feel? I'm just curious about others with schizo-affective, cause it is not as common as bipolar.

I have Schizoaffective Disorder.

As it was explained to me, there are two types: depressive and bipolar. One would have all or most (me) symptoms of schizophrenia with a strong affective component. Like for me, mine is Schizoaffective-depressed type. It's sort of a schizophrenia and depression combo platter. A schiszaffective-bipolar person would have the schizophrenia bipolar combo. as you can see in my sig I take a lot of meds. as far as how I feel, it varies a lot. I really border on bipolar but not enough for the dx. I get super low lows along with a general low grade depression most of the time. Then there's the paranoia, hallucinations, minor delusions and so on..

I hope some of this made sense. I'm pretty tired right now.

The age demanded that we sing
And cut away our tongue.
The age demanded that we flow
And hammered in the bung.
The age demanded that we dance
And jammed us into iron pants.
And in the end the age was handed
The sort of shit that it demanded.
-Ernest Hemingway

Schizoaffective Disorder, PTSD, GAD, and a bevy pf physical crap

Rx's: Psych meds: Lamictal 100 mg 2x/day, Trileptal 600 mg/morning 600 mg/night, Topamax 100 mg 2x/day, (also for migraines) Buspar 10 mg 3x/day, Haldol 2 mg 2x/day 4 mg night Starting NArdil. The other 13 are available as relevant to individual query.

"It's not when you get knocked down, it's whether you get back up." - Stephen Colbert

#3 blackbird

blackbird

For all that I found there...

• Pip
  • 1198 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:29 PM

I'm schizoaffective - bipolar type. I havent been depressed since 2006 when I decided to stop 60mgs of Prozac cold turkey. I just get mild manias such as getting up at 4.15 am to study all day and acting 'silly'. My shrink says I am too speedy and has cut my prozac but it doesn't appear to have slowed me down. I am also on 25mgs Zyprexa, 1.5mgs Haloperidol, 200mgs Topamax (for bulimia not as a mood stabiliser) and lots of benzos and sleeping tablets

blackbird x
I STAND ALONE

DX: Schizoaffective (bipolar type - ultra rapid cycling with major paranoid refractory psychosis), Borderline Personality Disorder, OCD, Anorexia Nervosa, Alcohol Dependence (in recovery 26/12/09)

RX: 50mg Risperdal Consta Injection x once per fortnight (equivalent to 6mg a day), 600mg Lithium, 60mgs Prozac, 5mgs Diazepam x 3 a day, 7.5mg Zopiclone

"For years one has to put up with the feeling that people do not care, really care, about one; then one day with growing alarm, one realises that it is God who does not care: and merely that he does not care, he does not care one way or the other"

Lawrence Durrell, "The Alexandria Quartet"

Driven to distraction by the utter lack of tenderness in this world

#4 FireBird

FireBird

• Pip
  • 535 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:06 AM

I have been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. I believe it is the bipolar type but that hasn't been confirmed, but I know I've at least had hypomanic episodes if not full blown manic episodes. Even though I occasionally hallucinate, mine is more based on my so called delusions which Dr. Evil says they are bizarre which automatically qualifies you for a schizophrenia diagnosis. I believe that aliens are after me, the FBI/CIA are after me, they both put brain chips in me, that I have nanobots implanted in me and they can release a toxin, that satellites are controlling my movements sometimes (how it works is that the brain chip sends my thoughts to the satellite and then beams it down to government headquarters and also I receive signals that controls me). There are several others but my huge non existent brain isn't functioning now. Most humans don't have a brain.

Diagnoses: GAD, Autism, Bipolar type 1 (mainly depression), Panic Attacks, PTSD, Borderline personality disorder
Meds I take: Latuda 60mg Trileptal 1200mg Trazodone 200mg Hydroxyzine 50mg Gabapentin 600mg
Past meds: Too many to list here

Just plain nuts!

#5 Twitch

Twitch

• Pip
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:03 PM

I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder at age 16. I had Major Depressive type. I had horrible depressive symptoms for two and a half straight years. I self injured because of it but I never attempted suicide.

Schizoaffective disorder types are funny because there so different from one another. Its tue some people borderline Bipolar type when they are Major Depressive type. But the truth is Bipolar type is like the bastard child of Bipolar Disorder (more common to bipolar disorder) and Major depressive type is more like Schizophrenia. Atleasts thats how prognosis is based. But all in all Schizoaffective disorder has a better prognosis than Schizophrenia, Major Depression and Bipolar seperately. Which is kinda weird.

Anyway I'm on Geodon (an Atypical Antipsychotic), Celexa (an Antidepressant) and Klnopoin (a Benzo). I'm on 240mg of Geodon which was just upped and looking into a prn (as needed) AAP for hallucinations. I dont take Celexa for depression. I take a low dose to keep anxiety a bit more stable along with klonopin which is the cherry on top for anxiety (I have severe Social Phobia).

If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.
DX: HFA, *some sort of* Schizophrenia, Severe SAD with Panic Disorder, OCD, ADHD
RX: 240mg Geodon, 1mg Klonopin 3x Daily, 20mg Celexa

Past DX: Schizoaffective Disorder, Major Depression, GAD, Agoraphobia
Past RX: Seroquel, Abilify, Effexor, Trazadone, Paxil, Ambien, Xanax, Concerta, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Risperdal, Provigil

Other DX: Allergic Asthma, Thallesemia (Meditteranean Decent Iron Deficiency Anemia), Hypoglycemia, Orthostatic Hypotension, Chronic Neurocardiogenic Syncope, Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome, Idiopathic Hypersomnolence, and most likely Narcolepsy, "abnormal electrical activity in the brain"
Other RX: Fludrocortisone, Albuteral (rescue inhaler), Iron Supplements, Daily Multiviatamin, Yaz

Autism is contagious.

"Where are we going?" "I don't know"

Hence, if in the year 2010 you meet an old man in his 90's named Al, with a fear of small furry animals, you could ask him if he ever knew Watson.
Case Studies in Abnormal Behavior
6th Edition
Robert G. Meyer

#6 blackbird

blackbird

For all that I found there...

• Pip
  • 1198 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:22 PM

Schizoaffective disorder types are funny because there so different from one another. Its tue some people borderline Bipolar type when they are Major Depressive type. But the truth is Bipolar type is like the bastard child of Bipolar Disorder (more common to bipolar disorder) and Major depressive type is more like Schizophrenia. Atleasts thats how prognosis is based. But all in all Schizoaffective disorder has a better prognosis than Schizophrenia, Major Depression and Bipolar seperately. Which is kinda weird.

That's an interesting point you raised about schizoaffective disorder having a better outcome than the separate diseases and it gives me hope. On my medical records in 2007 I was diagnosed schizoaffective disorder - schizophrenia and then in 2008 Schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type. I don't understand why I was diagnosed bipolar but apparently the p-doc says I'm far too high and have 'pressurised, racing speech'. It just popped out of nowhere. I have had major depression in the past which has been severe and led to suicide attempts but Prozac is a miracle drug for me but when I tried to quit it I became majorly depressed again. The p-doc says I'll be on Prozac for the rest of my life but he is lowering the dose to 40mg as he thinks it is the prozac making me high. But I don't think it's the prozac. Being on abilify last year made me manic (switching from zyprexa to try and lose weight) - crazy psychotic and manic (ending up in the bin) and ever since then I have been at least hypomanic. I blame abilify, not prozac. I kind of like being hypomanic - it's a very productive state of affairs. But it would explain why I am less affected by the schizophrenia part of schizoaffective disorder and why I am in the high functioning range. I am a strange mixture of functional and non-functional. I can do my work and study and write but I need my mother to keep my meds from me or I'll overdose or hoard them, I have to get my mother to prepare all my meals and watch while I eat them or else I'll purge. If I didn't live with my mother, I'd probably drink myself to death. I have constant paranoia and thought broadcasting but I can live through it (unless I stop taking Zyprexa in which I become so delusional and paranoid I cannot function on any level and end up in the bin). I am a weird mix of very disabled and very enabled, but I am pleased schizoaffective disorder has a good outcome.

blackbird x
I STAND ALONE

DX: Schizoaffective (bipolar type - ultra rapid cycling with major paranoid refractory psychosis), Borderline Personality Disorder, OCD, Anorexia Nervosa, Alcohol Dependence (in recovery 26/12/09)

RX: 50mg Risperdal Consta Injection x once per fortnight (equivalent to 6mg a day), 600mg Lithium, 60mgs Prozac, 5mgs Diazepam x 3 a day, 7.5mg Zopiclone

"For years one has to put up with the feeling that people do not care, really care, about one; then one day with growing alarm, one realises that it is God who does not care: and merely that he does not care, he does not care one way or the other"

Lawrence Durrell, "The Alexandria Quartet"

Driven to distraction by the utter lack of tenderness in this world

#7 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:13 AM

I have not felt very psychotic in a while, but when I was psychotic it was kind of ridiculous now that I look back at it. I thought people were outside my house at night talking about me, that the radio was talking to me, that I was the Savior, that I could control people's thoughts and I was a genius and more. I haven't really had these thoughts in quite a while though, not seriously anyways. I contribute that to the 20mg of Abilify that I take. It has worked great for me. I also take 200mg of Lamictal a day and just started 50mg of Pristiq, every other day.

#8 Mechante

Mechante

lasirena

• Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:41 AM

I just recently find out that my psychiatrist believes I have schizoaffective disorder instead of bipolar. I'm having a little trouble with this dx. I don't know.... I am so "normal" and functional right now that it's hard to believe that I have this kind of psychosis... I know some of it creeps through the medication barrier even now, but it's been forever since I was extremely psychotic. I am well medicated I guess. And lucky.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello, since I may be spending time on this board now.... how did you all adjust to your diagnoses? Did anyone have theirs changed from bipolar to this spectrum? Let me know. ;)

-CA
diagnosis: Schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type. PMDD. SAD. Social anxiety. Severe chocolate addiction. Excessive niceness NOS.
med line-up: Abilify 20mg, Wellbutrin 300mg,Clonazepam 0.5mg, Trazodone 100mg, Seasonique birth control.

maybe dead's like being
really high without the low but
I enjoy the hangovers
here.

#9 papertrees

papertrees

• Pip
  • 753 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:00 AM

My psychiatrist doesn't know yet of I have borderline PD and cyclothymia OR schizoaffective. In any case, yes, schizoaffective has a better prognosis than schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. My meds are 5mg abilify, 6mg invega, 100mg lamictal, 2 mg biperiden and 2mg clonazepam.
If I'm schizoaffective (it used to be my diagnosis from my former pdoc, fyi), then I must be the depressive type.

Visit my blog: Paperskyscrapers
Diagnosis: Schizoaffective, Bipolar Type; Borderline personality disorder; Anorexia nervosa
Meds: Saphris 10mg, Lamictal 200mg, Valium 10mg.

#10 DesireArmed

DesireArmed

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:27 PM

I always get confused when I get to this, but schizoaffective is when psychotic symptoms for the most part only comes around when? What? You are depressed, manic? Or is it when the psychotic symptoms have nothing to do with the mood at all? I know what the name of it says, but since I don't speak english on a daily basis, I get confused anyway. ;)

#11 Swamp56

Swamp56

• Pip
  • 819 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:49 PM

Am I the only one to see Schizoaffective Disorder as Schizophrenia with Bipolar symptoms? I realize there are subtypes in schizoaffective, but there are essentially the same subtypes in Bipolar Disorder.

I always get confused when I get to this, but schizoaffective is when psychotic symptoms for the most part only comes around when? What? You are depressed, manic? Or is it when the psychotic symptoms have nothing to do with the mood at all? I know what the name of it says, but since I don't speak english on a daily basis, I get confused anyway.

Schizoaffective is a disorder that is typically diagnosed when a patient has psychotic symptoms as seen with schizophrenia and also shows sign of an affective disorder, but has shown each issue w/o each occurring at the same time for 2 weeks.

Edited by Swamp56, 25 May 2009 - 07:52 PM.

Dx: Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar Type), OCD, Anxiety
Rx: Lamictal 200mg, Seroquel 400mg, Klonopin 1mg prn

#12 Leafskipper

Leafskipper

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:27 PM

Very interesting to read this post. My pdoc thinks I "could have some version on the schizoaffective spectrum". She said that in the same breath as "you are focusing too much on Dx- you are obsessing on bipolar 2 when your Dx could change. That's how psychiatry dx is- a continual working Dx"
Blah!
WTF!? She's right I have been obsessing on BD and now I'm fixated on proving her wrong about all of it!
I don't really know if my thoughts are red flags but I don't believe I meet the criteria. So, to answer the question posed in an earlier post- I am not dealing with this news well at all.
Damn I sound angry : s
Ls
Dx: Bipolar II (rule out schizoaffective disorder ), GAD
Rx: trileptal 150 mg morning 300 mg at night
Buspar 15 mg twice daily
Cymbalta 20 mg
Fish oil 3000 mg daily
Melatonin 6 mg daily
GABA
B-complex

Past Rx: Abilify, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Lamictal -going,going GONE! ( lost my mind)
Effexor (wired, paranoid). Celexa-(anxious, got fat). Lexapro-a go-go (doc sez,no-no)

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.